Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith

Posted By: asygo

Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/23/11 04:00 AM

Here is the link to the study and discussion material for Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011):

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/11d/less05.html

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/28/11 07:32 AM

From Wednesday:
Quote:
The basis of God’s covenant with Abraham centered on God’s promises to him. God says to Abraham four times, “I will.” God’s promises to Abraham are amazing because they are completely one-sided. God does all the promising; Abraham promises nothing. This is the opposite of how most people try to relate to God. We usually promise we will serve Him, if only He will do something for us in return. But that is legalism. God did not ask Abraham to promise anything but to accept His promises by faith. Of course, that was no easy task, because Abraham had to learn to trust completely in God and not in himself (see Genesis 22). The call of Abraham illustrates, therefore, the essence of the gospel, which is salvation by faith.

I am uncomfortable with this, to say the least. If salvation was based solely on God's promises, then all would be saved. God wants everyone to be saved, and He has enough power to save everyone. So if salvation is dependent only on Him, then none would be lost. But we know that is not the case.

Salvation is by faith. How do we know that Abraham had faith?

Quote:
Hebrews 11:8
By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.

Hebrews 11:17
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

In both cases, Abraham's faith came with obedience. It was, in other words, faithfulness.

Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him as righteousness. But that belief, as it always is with the belief that results in receiving God's righteousness, led to him trusting and obeying God's word.

In contrast, unbelief and disobedience go hand in hand.

Quote:
Hebrews 3:18-19
18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

And there we see the difference between belief and unbelief. True belief - true faith - gives one access to God's grace, which teaches us to live godly lives in this present age. Anything short of this is unbelief, which only leads to disobedience and death.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/28/11 07:36 AM

From Tuesday:
Quote:
Abraham’s obedience was not the ground of his justification; it was, instead, the result.

I have a problem with this as well. Justification comes through faith. Obedience is the fruit of faith. They do not cause each other.

The only possible exception is if one is using "justified" in the sense of "making just." If so, obedience is not the result of justification, it is the definition.
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/28/11 03:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The basis of God’s covenant with Abraham centered on God’s promises to him. God says to Abraham four times, “I will.” God’s promises to Abraham are amazing because they are completely one-sided. God does all the promising; Abraham promises nothing. This is the opposite of how most people try to relate to God. We usually promise we will serve Him, if only He will do something for us in return. But that is legalism. God did not ask Abraham to promise anything but to accept His promises by faith. Of course, that was no easy task, because Abraham had to learn to trust completely in God and not in himself (see Genesis 22). The call of Abraham illustrates, therefore, the essence of the gospel, which is salvation by faith.

I am uncomfortable with this, to say the least. If salvation was based solely on God's promises, then all would be saved. God wants everyone to be saved, and He has enough power to save everyone. So if salvation is dependent only on Him, then none would be lost. But we know that is not the case.

Arnold, I agree with what you said.
Abraham's part was to accept God's promises, but God's promises are conditioned to obedience.
However, isn't obedience different from promise? Can we promise to obey?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/28/11 03:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Abraham’s obedience was not the ground of his justification; it was, instead, the result.

I have a problem with this as well. Justification comes through faith. Obedience is the fruit of faith. They do not cause each other

You are right. However, don't we often say we obey not in order to be saved, but because we were saved? I don't see a problem with this statement, because the fact that you were saved implies you had the true faith. Wouldn't this be a case of metonymy (substitution of cause for effect, proper name for one of its qualities, etc.) or synecdoche (substitution of a part for whole, species for genus, etc.)?
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/28/11 06:46 PM

In the case where Abraham believed God would provide him an heir and it was counted as righteous - the question is, Did such belief involve obedience?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/28/11 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Abraham's part was to accept God's promises, but God's promises are conditioned to obedience.
However, isn't obedience different from promise? Can we promise to obey?

Here's a promise:
Quote:
Ezekiel 36:27
I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

Maybe our obedience is simply accepting this promise from God. Obedience is, after all, a gift from God. It is something we receive from God. And when the true Christian offers his obedience, it must be cleansed by Christ's obedience.

If we do promise God to obey Him, it is like promising to give someone filthy rags. Not exactly enticing. That's exactly what the Israelites did at Sinai, thereby establishing the Old Covenant.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/28/11 09:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I have a problem with this as well. Justification comes through faith. Obedience is the fruit of faith. They do not cause each other

You are right. However, don't we often say we obey not in order to be saved, but because we were saved?

Maybe we should stop saying that. I think the causality we imply, or even teach, causes problems.

Let's consider "we obey because we are saved." Why would salvation cause you to obey? Does it "force" you such that you are unable to disobey. If so, that would make us slaves for eternity. Unpalatable.

Is it because of gratitude, perhaps? There are such things as Thank Offerings, such as Cain's offering. However, they are always preceded by a Sin Offering, such as Abel's offering. Without the blood of the Substitute, our offerings are unacceptable. So, in a very real sense, it's really Christ's obedience that we are offering to God, which we get from God in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with this concept, as long as we know that our obedience is also received from God.

I don't see a problem with this statement, because the fact that you were saved implies you had the true faith.

Yes, true faith always comes with both obedience, justification, and salvation. But I don't like the causal link.

Wouldn't this be a case of metonymy (substitution of cause for effect, proper name for one of its qualities, etc.) or synecdoche (substitution of a part for whole, species for genus, etc.)?

Perhaps. But if we will communicate in this way, it would be just as valid to say that obedience is a means of justification, since true obedience only comes by true faith. And that's exactly what some of our more "conservative" brethren like to say.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/28/11 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
In the case where Abraham believed God would provide him an heir and it was counted as righteous - the question is, Did such belief involve obedience?

Yes. Keep in mind that Isaac was not a virgin birth. Abraham and Sarah had some work to do.

More importantly, when Abraham was going to sacrifice Isaac, his belief that his descendants would come through Isaac allowed him to obey the command.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/29/11 02:03 AM

Abraham was counted righteous before he and Sarah got to work.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/29/11 02:11 AM

That's right. We are counted righteous as soon as we believe. The works come later, also prompted by our belief. Belief always involves obedience, though the exact sequence of events varies from case to case.

But notice that immediately after Abraham was counted righteous through his belief, he was called to do some work in making the sacrifices.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 10/29/11 07:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe our obedience is simply accepting this promise from God. Obedience is, after all, a gift from God. It is something we receive from God. And when the true Christian offers his obedience, it must be cleansed by Christ's obedience.

If we do promise God to obey Him, it is like promising to give someone filthy rags. Not exactly enticing. That's exactly what the Israelites did at Sinai, thereby establishing the Old Covenant.

Yes, that's why I didn't understand what kind of problem you saw in this quote:

Quote:

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/01/11 01:16 AM

I'm still trying to sort this out, and seeing if Liversidge is on the right track.

As for the quote from the lesson, it had a bit of a universalist flavor to it. I didn't like that. There's actually more of that in this week's lesson.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/01/11 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: asygo
If we do promise God to obey Him, it is like promising to give someone filthy rags.

However, if the promise is made while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature - it is not a promise of filthy rags, rather it is the promise of "righteousness and true holiness" (Eph 4:24).

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/02/11 03:49 AM

If we do promise God to obey Him, it is like promising to give someone filthy rags.

However, if the promise is made while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature - it is not a promise of filthy rags, rather it is the promise of "righteousness and true holiness" (Eph 4:24).

But if it passes through the corrupt channels of humanity, it is filthy unless purified by Christ's righteousness. So, at best, we are promising to give back to God what He gives us in the first place, but dirtied and needing cleansing first.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/02/11 07:20 PM

Arnold, you wrote righteousness as a result of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature is "dirtied and needing cleansing" because it passes through corrupt human channels. Do we need to repent of such righteousness? Otherwise, is it like God to cleanse sin without sinners first repenting?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/03/11 01:51 AM

Of course we need not repent for righteousness. What we need to repent for is the unrighteousness that we taint it with.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/03/11 05:55 AM

"What we need to repent for is the unrighteousness that we taint [the righteous results of abiding in Jesus] with." Where in the Bible is this idea explained? We're warned, "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as [Jesus] is righteous." "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as [Jesus] is pure."

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/03/11 06:49 PM

It is also written: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8).

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/03/11 10:23 PM

"What we need to repent for is the unrighteousness that we taint [the righteous results of abiding in Jesus] with." Where in the Bible is this idea explained? We're warned, "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as [Jesus] is righteous." "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as [Jesus] is pure."

You asked for Bible, and R gave you one verse. I'll start with SOP:
Quote:
The religious services, the prayers, the praise, the penitent confession of sin ascend from true believers as incense to the heavenly sanctuary, but passing through the corrupt channels of humanity, they are so defiled that unless purified by blood, they can never be of value with God. They ascend not in spotless purity, and unless the Intercessor, who is at God's right hand, presents and purifies all by His righteousness, it is not acceptable to God. All incense from earthly tabernacles must be moist with the cleansing drops of the blood of Christ. He holds before the Father the censer of His own merits, in which there is no taint of earthly corruption. He gathers into this censer the prayers, the praise, and the confessions of His people, and with these He puts His own spotless righteousness. Then, perfumed with the merits of Christ's propitiation, the incense comes up before God wholly and entirely acceptable. Then gracious answers are returned. {1SM 344.2}

Where is this in the Bible? In the sanctuary system. When the priests offer their prayers in the Holy Place, they are to be mixed with the incense from the altar.

Here are more verses:
Quote:
Galatians 5:16-17
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Romans 7:18
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.

Romans 7:25
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/04/11 07:01 PM

M: "What we need to repent for is the unrighteousness that we taint [the righteous results of abiding in Jesus] with." Where in the Bible is this idea explained? We're warned, "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as [Jesus] is righteous." "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as [Jesus] is pure."

R: It is also written: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8).

I don't understand your understanding of this passage in light of the passages I posted. What do you think "have no sin" means? Must we "have sin" to have "the truth in us"? I don't get it.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/04/11 07:10 PM

Imported from a different thread: I'm talking about our righteousnesses, which are wrought in us as we abide in Jesus. They are filthy rags. We are prompted and empowered by the Spirit to do God's works, but they are tainted by sin when they pass through our corrupt channels of humanity. Even though they are done in faith, they can never be of value to God unless purified by Christ's blood and merits, covering our unavoidable deficiencies.

Arnold, thank you for the thorough response to my post. I know you're busy, and the fact you took that much time to respond means a lot to me. Again, thank you. We've discussed 1 SM 344 in the past, and for some reason the discussion ended before you were able to address the following question -

Did Ellen mean to say the religious services, the prayers, the praise, the penitent confession of sin of true believers are sinful and, therefore, require the covering blood and righteousness of Jesus to be acceptable to our heavenly Father?

You wrote, "our righteousnesses . . . are tainted by sin". What do you mean by "sin"?

Also, would you mind addressing the questions I asked Rosangela (see post above)?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/04/11 10:38 PM

Let's look at this from a practical point of view. Perhaps the following example will prove helpful. A young man finds a purse with several hundred dollars in it. He is tempted to keep the money for himself. Instead, he listens to the Holy Spirit and returns the purse to the owner. The lady thanks him profusely and he gives God all the glory.

With this story in mind - In what sense was his righteousness "tainted by sin"?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/08/11 02:48 AM

He could have some traces of selfishness in his motives. Perhaps he was more concerned about doing the right thing in order not to lose his salvation than he was concerned about the good of the lady.
I gave Bible studies to a girl some months ago and I was worried about her decision. Someone told her I was worried about her, and she asked me if it was true. I told her it was, and I gave her another Bible study about the dangers of procrastination, "because," I said, "I don't want you to say at the judgment day, 'She didn't warn me about it.'" When I heard what I said, I questioned my own motives: Am I really concerned about her salvation or about mine? Am I concerned because I love her or because I love myself and don't want to be accused in the judgment day of not having done my best?

Daily review of our acts, to see whether conscience approves or condemns, is necessary for all who wish to reach perfection of Christian character. Many acts which pass for good works, even deeds of benevolence, will, when closely investigated, be found to be prompted by wrong motives. {WM 315.2}

And, by the way, this is the interpretation of the verse you quoted:

This work of purifying ourselves even as He is pure must be taken up individually. We should examine our motives, our actions, in the light of God's holy law. We should ever ask, "Is this the way of the Lord?" Every earnest, sincere seeker will be answered of the Lord. The petitions of honest inquirers are always heard by the Author of our salvation. He has promised, "The meek will he guide in judgment; and the meek will he teach his way." Angels of God are watching to see the development of our character; they are weighing moral worth; and may the great day of God reveal the fact that we have not been weighed in the balances and found wanting. {ST, May 25, 1891 par. 6}

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/08/11 02:52 AM

Quote:
What do you think "have no sin" means?

If we say that we have no selfishness, that our motives are totally free from selfishness, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (we are lying to ourselves).

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/08/11 03:44 AM

Must we "have sin" to have "the truth in us"?

We don't need to have sin in order to have the truth. But the truth is that we have sin. If we think we have no sin, we are deceived.

One sign that Satan's delusions have lost their power is that we see our imperfection in contrast to His perfection.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/08/11 05:45 AM

Arnold and Rosangela, I am beginning to believe you two believe born-again believers are incapable of experiencing "righteousness and true holiness". You seem to believe the fruit of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature is sinful. If so, how does it differ from other sins? And, where in the Bible does it say Jesus perfumes our sins?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/08/11 10:14 PM

Arnold and Rosangela, I am beginning to believe you two believe born-again believers are incapable of experiencing "righteousness and true holiness".

They are capable, but only by receiving it from God. It is imputed righteousness and holiness.

You seem to believe the fruit of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature is sinful.

I don't know if I would call it sinful, but it surely needs to be covered by Christ's righteousness in order to be acceptable to God.

If so, how does it differ from other sins?

These sins are unavoidable, and are covered by Christ's blood if the sinner is making every effort to obey. Other sins are avoidable.

And, where in the Bible does it say Jesus perfumes our sins?

The altar of incense, the morning and evening sacrifices.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/08/11 10:19 PM

Did Ellen mean to say the religious services, the prayers, the praise, the penitent confession of sin of true believers are sinful and, therefore, require the covering blood and righteousness of Jesus to be acceptable to our heavenly Father?

That seems to be what she said. They are unacceptable to God and require Christ's covering.

You wrote, "our righteousnesses . . . are tainted by sin". What do you mean by "sin"?

By "sin" I mean "selfishness" of some sort, including unknown selfishness.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/09/11 12:39 AM

Quote:
And, where in the Bible does it say Jesus perfumes our sins?

Mike, the way you put it is hilarious.
Jesus doesn't perfume our sins, He perfumes our good works, which, although prompted by His Spirit, are tainted by our sinful (selfish) nature. Another EGW quote says:

The prayer and praise and confession of God's people ascend as sacrifices to the heavenly sanctuary. But they ascend not in spotless purity. Passing through the corrupt channels of humanity, they are so defiled that unless purified by the righteousness of the great High Priest, they are not acceptable by God. Christ gathers into the censer the prayers, the praise, and the sacrifices of his people, and with these he puts the merits of his spotless righteousness. Then, perfumed with the incense of Christ's propitiation, our prayers, wholly and entirely acceptable, rise before God, and gracious answers are returned. {YI, April 16, 1903 par. 12}

If these aren't sinful, why does she use the word "defiled" and says they are impure?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/09/11 08:02 PM

M: Arnold and Rosangela, I am beginning to believe you two believe born-again believers are incapable of experiencing "righteousness and true holiness".

A: They are capable, but only by receiving it from God. It is imputed righteousness and holiness.

Are you suggesting they are incapable of "experiencing it"? That is, Jesus can only impute it because they cannot in reality experience it?

Quote:
M: You seem to believe the fruit of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature is sinful.

A: I don't know if I would call it sinful, but it surely needs to be covered by Christ's righteousness in order to be acceptable to God.

Why are you hesitant to call it "sinful"?

Quote:
M: If so, how does it differ from other sins?

A: These sins are unavoidable, and are covered by Christ's blood if the sinner is making every effort to obey. Other sins are avoidable.

Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The only definition of sin given in God's Word is transgression of the law. It is not excusable, and has no defense or justification. {PC 167.5}

There is no excuse for sinning. A holy temper, a Christlike life, is accessible to every repenting, believing child of God. {DA 311.3}

What kind of sins do you think are "avoidable"? And, once they are avoided, is the fruit tainted with sin? Can't win for losing, right. That is, if we fail to avoid avoidable sins we are guilty of sin; nevertheless, if we succeed . . . well, we're still guilty of sinning.

Quote:
M: And, where in the Bible does it say Jesus perfumes our sins?

A: The altar of incense, the morning and evening sacrifices.

Are you sure the sacrifices perfumed sin? Seems to me the blood and righteousness of Jesus substitutes righteousness for sin. In other words, His blood pays the penalty for our sins, satisfies the loving demands of law and justice, so that our sins no longer exist. The byproduct of atonement is righteousness - not sin. Thus, He perfumes "righteousness and true holiness" - not sin. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
Unless their minds and hearts are filled with the pure, unselfish, sanctified love that Christ revealed, they will fall under Satan's power, and will do and say and write strange things, to deceive, if it were possible, the very elect. {RH, June 30, 1910 par. 14}

He that abideth in Christ is perfected in the love of God, and his purposes, thoughts, words, and actions are in harmony with the will of God expressed in the commandments of His law. There is nothing in the heart of the man who abides in Christ that is at war with any precept of God's law. {RC 59.4}

It was impossible for the sinner to keep the law of God, which was holy, just, and good; but this impossibility was removed by the impartation of the righteousness of Christ to the repenting, believing soul. The life and death of Christ in behalf of sinful man were for the purpose of restoring the sinner to God's favor, through imparting to him the righteousness that would meet the claims of the law, and find acceptance with the Father. . . Having suffered the full penalty for a guilty world, Jesus became the Mediator between God and man, to restore the repenting soul to favor with God by giving him grace to keep the law of the Most High. {ST, June 20, 1895 par. 8}

Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5}

But every one who believes in Christ, every one who relies on the keeping power of a risen Saviour that has suffered the penalty pronounced upon the transgressor, every one who resists temptations and in the midst of evil strives to copy the pattern given in the Christ-life, will through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {8MR 99.2}

1. Their minds and hearts are filled with the pure, unselfish, sanctified love that Christ revealed.

2. Their purposes, thoughts, words, and actions are in harmony with the will of God expressed in the commandments of His law.

3. There is nothing in the heart of the man who abides in Christ that is at war with any precept of God's law.

4. They experience righteousness that meets the claims of the law, and find acceptance with the Father.

5. Jesus restore the repenting soul to favor with God by giving him grace to keep the law of the Most High.

6. They reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression.

Jesus so thoroughly restores them that their obedience and righteousness is in harmony with the law and is acceptable and pleasing to God. They experience sinlessness like Adam did before he sinned. You two seem to be saying, No, their righteousness is tainted with sin and unacceptable and displeasing to God.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/09/11 08:12 PM

M: And, where in the Bible does it say Jesus perfumes our sins?

R: Mike, the way you put it is hilarious. Jesus doesn't perfume our sins, He perfumes our good works, which, although prompted by His Spirit, are tainted by our sinful (selfish) nature. Another EGW quote says:

Quote:
The prayer and praise and confession of God's people ascend as sacrifices to the heavenly sanctuary. But they ascend not in spotless purity. Passing through the corrupt channels of humanity, they are so defiled that unless purified by the righteousness of the great High Priest, they are not acceptable by God. Christ gathers into the censer the prayers, the praise, and the sacrifices of his people, and with these he puts the merits of his spotless righteousness. Then, perfumed with the incense of Christ's propitiation, our prayers, wholly and entirely acceptable, rise before God, and gracious answers are returned. {YI, April 16, 1903 par. 12}

If these aren't sinful, why does she use the word "defiled" and says they are impure?

In light of all the passages I posted above (see response to Arnold) I suspect she purposely avoided using the words "sin" or "sinful" when describing their "prayer and praise and confession . . . and sacrifices". Again, the passages I posted above make it clear their fruit satisfies the law perfectly. They make it clear the Father is totally pleased. The fact Jesus' fragrant perfume is also required does not mean it is because their fruit is sinful.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/09/11 08:19 PM

And what do the concepts of impurity and defilement mean?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/09/11 08:30 PM

Quote:
Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5}

I'm not sure EGW is speaking of this life here.

Mike, I understand you consider it completely impossible for you to unconsciously manifest a selfish attitude.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/10/11 08:09 PM

And what do the concepts of impurity and defilement mean?

In context of the passage you posted it is clear she is not referring to known or unknown commission of sin. The defilement that happens as "righteousness and true holiness" pass through corrupt human channels is not the result of sinning. Remember, "the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God." (AH 127) Judgment is not based on the sinfulness of sinful flesh. Judgment is based on the quality of thoughts, words, and deeds prior to passing through corrupt human channels.

Quote:
"Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5} I'm not sure EGW is speaking of this life here.

"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." While abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature they are pure and perfect and righteous like Jesus was. This applies to the thief on the cross as well as to John.

Quote:
Mike, I understand you consider it completely impossible for you to unconsciously manifest a selfish attitude.

Certain sins of ignorance are possible while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature (i.e. keeping Sunday instead of the Sabbath day) - but selfish attitudes is not one of them. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
He who is trying to become holy by his own works in keeping the law, is attempting an impossibility. All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin. It is the grace of Christ alone, through faith, that can make us holy. {SC 59.4}

The spirit of unselfish labor for others gives depth, stability, and Christlike loveliness to the character, and brings peace and happiness to its possessor. The aspirations are elevated. There is no room for sloth or selfishness. Those who thus exercise the Christian graces will grow and will become strong to work for God. They will have clear spiritual perceptions, a steady, growing faith, and an increased power in prayer. The Spirit of God, moving upon their spirit, calls forth the sacred harmonies of the soul in answer to the divine touch. Those who thus devote themselves to unselfish effort for the good of others are most surely working out their own salvation. {SC 80.2}

No one can be omnipotent, but all can cleanse themselves from filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of the Lord. God requires every soul to be pure and holy. We have hereditary tendencies to wrong. This is a part of self that no one need carry about. It is a weakness of humanity to pet selfishness, because it is a natural trait of character. But unless all selfishness is put away, unless self is crucified, we can never be holy as God is holy. There is in humanity a tendency to suspicious imagining, which circumstances quicken into lively growth. If this trait is indulged, it spoils the character and ruins the soul. {FLB 140.4}

This is our great need today in every church in our land. For "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17). That which was objectionable in the character is purified from the soul by the love of Jesus. All selfishness is expelled, all envy, all evil-speaking, is rooted out, and a radical transformation is wrought in the heart. "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law" (Galatians 5:22, 23). "The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace" (James 3:18). {YRP 289.3}

When the prophet Daniel beheld the glory surrounding the heavenly messenger that was sent unto him, he was overwhelmed with a sense of his own weakness and imperfection. Describing the effect of the wonderful scene, he says, "There remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength." Daniel 10:8. The soul thus touched will hate its selfishness, abhor its self-love, and will seek, through Christ's righteousness, for the purity of heart that is in harmony with the law of God and the character of Christ. {SC 29.2}

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/10/11 10:08 PM

Quote:
Certain sins of ignorance are possible while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature (i.e. keeping Sunday instead of the Sabbath day) - but selfish attitudes is not one of them.

In this passage, EGW seems to say the opposite, and (notice the similarity of terms) she even says that what defiles James and John's love "by the earthliness of its human channel" is their selfishness:

Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify. {DA 548.6}

It's strange that you quoted SC 29:2, because it contradicts your view. It's saying that Daniel had a sense of his selfishness. How do you interpret this?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/11/11 08:09 AM

M: Arnold and Rosangela, I am beginning to believe you two believe born-again believers are incapable of experiencing "righteousness and true holiness".

A: They are capable, but only by receiving it from God. It is imputed righteousness and holiness.

Are you suggesting they are incapable of "experiencing it"? That is, Jesus can only impute it because they cannot in reality experience it?

Until we put on incorruption, we have corruption. Hence, the constant need for Christ's uncorrupted merits. The Bible and SOP are clear that the best we can offer are filthy rags, in need of cleansing.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/11/11 07:19 PM

Our righteousness (our works) are as filthy rags needing cleaning by the righteousness (works) of Christ.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/11/11 07:48 PM

M: Certain sins of ignorance are possible while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature (i.e. keeping Sunday instead of the Sabbath day) - but selfish attitudes is not one of them.

R: In this passage, EGW seems to say the opposite, and (notice the similarity of terms) she even says that what defiles James and John's love "by the earthliness of its human channel" is their selfishness: "Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify. {DA 548.6}

It's strange that you quoted SC 29:2, because it contradicts your view. It's saying that Daniel had a sense of his selfishness. How do you interpret this?

Did you notice what she wrote about selfishness in the following passage: "All selfishness is expelled, all envy, all evil-speaking, is rooted out, and a radical transformation is wrought in the heart." You seem to think "all selfishness is expelled" in the radically transformed heart except for some aspects of selfishness. However, she wrote, "I write this to our people that they may see that it is not knowledge that they need, but new hearts, cleansed from all selfishness and covetousness." {SW 88.3} "When our hearts are emptied of all selfishness, and cleansed by the Spirit of Christ, we shall be vessels meet for the Master's use." {AUCR, August 1, 1902 par. 8} She also wrote:

Quote:
Paul was convinced that if they could be brought to comprehend the amazing sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven, all selfishness would be banished from their lives. {AA 333.1}

The contemplation of this love will cleanse the soul from all selfishness. {CH 222.2}

The servants of God are to be cleansed from all coldness, all selfishness. {CH 534.3}

It is to divest them of all selfishness, and bind them to God and to one another. {CS 16.2}

They realize that they are to live in this world the life that Jesus lived--a life free from all selfishness; and He enables them to bear witness for Him that draws souls to the cross of Calvary. {DG 81.4}

But unless all selfishness is put away, unless self is crucified, we can never be holy as God is holy. {FLB 140.4}

Are we emptying our hearts of all selfishness, and cleansing them, preparatory to receiving the latter rain from heaven? {HS 155.1}

Faith works by love, and purifies the soul from all selfishness. Thus the soul is perfected in love. {HP 110.2}

The Prince of heaven, the Commander of the heavenly hosts, stepped down from His high position, laid aside His royal robe and kingly crown, and clothed His divinity with humanity, that He might become the divine Teacher of all classes of men, and live before human beings a life free from all selfishness and sin, setting them an example of what, through His grace, they may become. {OFC 252.3}

There can be no self-seeking in the life of him who follows the Saviour. The true Christian banishes all selfishness from his heart. How can he live for self as he thinks of Christ hanging on the cross, giving His life for the life of the world? {OHC 287.4}

We are called upon to overcome in this life as Christ overcame. Heaven has provided us with abundant opportunities and privileges, so that we may overcome as Christ overcame, and sit down with Him on His throne. But in order to be overcomers, there must be in our lives no petting of fleshly inclinations. All selfishness must be cut out by the roots. {RC 287.6}

Bible conversion will lead to constant and abiding activity, which will be free from all selfishness, all self-exaltation, and all boastful claims of holiness. {SD 334.3}

Our souls must be purified from all selfishness; for God desires to use His people as representatives of the heavenly kingdom. {6T 190.3}

The Holy Spirit will take of the things of God and show them to him, and if he will receive them his character will be cleansed from all selfishness, and refined and purified for heaven. {TMK 106.2}

Now is the time for God's people to allow the Holy Spirit to make clean and thorough work, in order that all selfishness, all wrong, may be uprooted from their hearts. May the Lord help you and the whole church, is my prayer. {AU Gleaner, September 9, 1903 par. 7}

Not everyone, unfortunately, experiences true, genuine rebirth or conversion. Not everyone expels all selfishness. Many are baptized before self is crucified and buried, before all selfishness is expelled. Ellen wrote: "But I was shown that there are but few who have the truth wrought into their very souls, who can bear the searching test of God. There are many who have taken hold of the truth, but the truth has not taken hold of them, to transform their hearts and cleanse them from all selfishness." {4T 194.1}

"But what is the reason of these doubts, this darkness and unbelief? I answer: These men and women are not right with God. They are not dealing honestly and truly with their own souls. They have neglected to cultivate personal piety. They have not separated themselves from all selfishness and from sin and sinners. They have failed to study the self-denying, self-sacrificing life of our Lord and have failed to imitate His example of purity, devotion, and self-sacrifice. {BLJ 18.4}

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/11/11 08:20 PM

M: Are you suggesting they are incapable of "experiencing it"? That is, Jesus can only impute it because they cannot in reality experience it?

A: Until we put on incorruption, we have corruption. Hence, the constant need for Christ's uncorrupted merits. The Bible and SOP are clear that the best we can offer are filthy rags, in need of cleansing.

The Bible says believers who are abiding in Jesus "do not sin" and "cannot sin". They are as sinless as Adam was before he fell. "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression." {UL 18.3} They overcome as Christ overcame. "When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience." {DA 668.3} "It is by continual surrender of the will, by continual obedience, that the blessing of justification is retained." {NL 28.1}

"In everything Christ sought first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and that which he did he commands his followers to do. This example he gave to the human race that they might in his strength render to God the obedience he requires, and in the end present themselves perfect before his throne. He was one with the Father. His life was a fulfilling of the law, a continual obedience to God's commands." {RH, October 2, 1900 par. 14}

"The obedience of Christ to His Father was the same obedience that is required of man. Man cannot overcome Satan's temptations without divine power to combine with his instrumentality. So with Jesus Christ; He could lay hold of divine power. He came not to our world to give the obedience of a lesser God to a greater, but as a man to obey God's Holy Law, and in this way He is our example. The Lord Jesus came to our world, not to reveal what a God could do, but what a man could do, through faith in God's power to help in every emergency. Man is, through faith, to be a partaker in the divine nature, and to overcome every temptation wherewith he is beset. {OHC 48.3}

How can you say the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are "filthy rags" when, according to Ellen, they are "the same obedience" Jesus rendered to God? "The obedience of Christ is not to be put aside as altogether different from the obedience He requires of us individually. Christ has shown us that it is possible for all humanity to obey the laws of God." {3SM 135.2}

"We need not place the obedience of Christ by itself as something for which He was particularly adapted, by His particular divine nature, for He stood before God as man's representative and tempted as man's substitute and surety. If Christ had a special power which it is not the privilege of man to have, Satan would have made capital of this matter. The work of Christ was to take from the claims of Satan his control of man, and He could do this only in the way that He came--a man, tempted as a man, rendering the obedience of a man." {3SM 139.3}

"The law of God, if written in the heart, will bring the mind and will into subjection to the obedience of Christ. {3T 201.2} "When man places himself under the control of God, the will becomes firm and strong to do right, the heart is cleansed from selfishness and filled with Christ-like love. The mind yields to the authority of the law of love, and every thought is brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. The powers, hitherto "members of unrighteousness," and "servants of sin," are consecrated to the service of the God of love. {AUCR, June 1, 1900 par. 10}

There is no indication Ellen taught the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are "filthy rags" or "tainted with sin" and "selfishness". On the contrary, she plainly says - "The Saviour took upon Himself the infirmities of humanity and lived a sinless life, that men might have no fear that because of the weakness of human nature they could not overcome. Christ came to make us "partakers of the divine nature," and His life declares that humanity, combined with divinity, does not commit sin." {MH 180.5}

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/11/11 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Daryl F
Our righteousness (our works) are as filthy rags needing cleaning by the righteousness (works) of Christ.

When you say "our righteousness" are you referring to the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature? Or, are you referring to good deeds performed without the power of God? "All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin. It is the grace of Christ alone, through faith, that can make us holy." {SC 59.4}

As you can read, Arnold and Rosangela believe the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are also, like the men described above, polluted with selfishness and sin. I disagree. Paul describes it as "righteousness and true holiness".

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/15/11 07:28 PM

Bump

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/18/11 07:17 PM

M: Certain sins of ignorance are possible while abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature (i.e. keeping Sunday instead of the Sabbath day) - but selfish attitudes is not one of them.

R: In this passage, EGW seems to say the opposite, and (notice the similarity of terms) she even says that what defiles James and John's love "by the earthliness of its human channel" is their selfishness: "Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify. {DA 548.6}

Did you notice what she wrote about selfishness in the following passage: "All selfishness is expelled, all envy, all evil-speaking, is rooted out, and a radical transformation is wrought in the heart." You seem to think "all selfishness is expelled" in the radically transformed heart except for some aspects of selfishness. However, she wrote, "I write this to our people that they may see that it is not knowledge that they need, but new hearts, cleansed from all selfishness and covetousness." {SW 88.3} "When our hearts are emptied of all selfishness, and cleansed by the Spirit of Christ, we shall be vessels meet for the Master's use." {AUCR, August 1, 1902 par. 8} She also wrote:

Quote:
Paul was convinced that if they could be brought to comprehend the amazing sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven, all selfishness would be banished from their lives. {AA 333.1}

The contemplation of this love will cleanse the soul from all selfishness. {CH 222.2}

The servants of God are to be cleansed from all coldness, all selfishness. {CH 534.3}

It is to divest them of all selfishness, and bind them to God and to one another. {CS 16.2}

They realize that they are to live in this world the life that Jesus lived--a life free from all selfishness; and He enables them to bear witness for Him that draws souls to the cross of Calvary. {DG 81.4}

But unless all selfishness is put away, unless self is crucified, we can never be holy as God is holy. {FLB 140.4}

Are we emptying our hearts of all selfishness, and cleansing them, preparatory to receiving the latter rain from heaven? {HS 155.1}

Faith works by love, and purifies the soul from all selfishness. Thus the soul is perfected in love. {HP 110.2}

The Prince of heaven, the Commander of the heavenly hosts, stepped down from His high position, laid aside His royal robe and kingly crown, and clothed His divinity with humanity, that He might become the divine Teacher of all classes of men, and live before human beings a life free from all selfishness and sin, setting them an example of what, through His grace, they may become. {OFC 252.3}

There can be no self-seeking in the life of him who follows the Saviour. The true Christian banishes all selfishness from his heart. How can he live for self as he thinks of Christ hanging on the cross, giving His life for the life of the world? {OHC 287.4}

We are called upon to overcome in this life as Christ overcame. Heaven has provided us with abundant opportunities and privileges, so that we may overcome as Christ overcame, and sit down with Him on His throne. But in order to be overcomers, there must be in our lives no petting of fleshly inclinations. All selfishness must be cut out by the roots. {RC 287.6}

Bible conversion will lead to constant and abiding activity, which will be free from all selfishness, all self-exaltation, and all boastful claims of holiness. {SD 334.3}

Our souls must be purified from all selfishness; for God desires to use His people as representatives of the heavenly kingdom. {6T 190.3}

The Holy Spirit will take of the things of God and show them to him, and if he will receive them his character will be cleansed from all selfishness, and refined and purified for heaven. {TMK 106.2}

Now is the time for God's people to allow the Holy Spirit to make clean and thorough work, in order that all selfishness, all wrong, may be uprooted from their hearts. May the Lord help you and the whole church, is my prayer. {AU Gleaner, September 9, 1903 par. 7}

Not everyone, unfortunately, experiences true, genuine rebirth or conversion. Not everyone expels all selfishness. Many are baptized before self is crucified and buried, before all selfishness is expelled. Ellen wrote: "But I was shown that there are but few who have the truth wrought into their very souls, who can bear the searching test of God. There are many who have taken hold of the truth, but the truth has not taken hold of them, to transform their hearts and cleanse them from all selfishness." {4T 194.1}

"But what is the reason of these doubts, this darkness and unbelief? I answer: These men and women are not right with God. They are not dealing honestly and truly with their own souls. They have neglected to cultivate personal piety. They have not separated themselves from all selfishness and from sin and sinners. They have failed to study the self-denying, self-sacrificing life of our Lord and have failed to imitate His example of purity, devotion, and self-sacrifice. {BLJ 18.4}

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/18/11 07:20 PM

M: Are you suggesting they are incapable of "experiencing it"? That is, Jesus can only impute it because they cannot in reality experience it?

A: Until we put on incorruption, we have corruption. Hence, the constant need for Christ's uncorrupted merits. The Bible and SOP are clear that the best we can offer are filthy rags, in need of cleansing.

The Bible says believers who are abiding in Jesus "do not sin" and "cannot sin". They are as sinless as Adam was before he fell. "It is the privilege of every believer in Christ to possess Christ's nature, a nature far above that which Adam forfeited by transgression." {UL 18.3} They overcome as Christ overcame. "When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience." {DA 668.3} "It is by continual surrender of the will, by continual obedience, that the blessing of justification is retained." {NL 28.1} Ellen also wrote:

Quote:
In everything Christ sought first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and that which he did he commands his followers to do. This example he gave to the human race that they might in his strength render to God the obedience he requires, and in the end present themselves perfect before his throne. He was one with the Father. His life was a fulfilling of the law, a continual obedience to God's commands. {RH, October 2, 1900 par. 14}

The obedience of Christ to His Father was the same obedience that is required of man. Man cannot overcome Satan's temptations without divine power to combine with his instrumentality. So with Jesus Christ; He could lay hold of divine power. He came not to our world to give the obedience of a lesser God to a greater, but as a man to obey God's Holy Law, and in this way He is our example. The Lord Jesus came to our world, not to reveal what a God could do, but what a man could do, through faith in God's power to help in every emergency. Man is, through faith, to be a partaker in the divine nature, and to overcome every temptation wherewith he is beset. {OHC 48.3}

How can you say the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are "filthy rags" when, according to Ellen, they are "the same obedience" Jesus rendered to God? "The obedience of Christ is not to be put aside as altogether different from the obedience He requires of us individually. Christ has shown us that it is possible for all humanity to obey the laws of God." {3SM 135.2} And:

Quote:
We need not place the obedience of Christ by itself as something for which He was particularly adapted, by His particular divine nature, for He stood before God as man's representative and tempted as man's substitute and surety. If Christ had a special power which it is not the privilege of man to have, Satan would have made capital of this matter. The work of Christ was to take from the claims of Satan his control of man, and He could do this only in the way that He came -a man, tempted as a man, rendering the obedience of a man. {3SM 139.3}

The law of God, if written in the heart, will bring the mind and will into subjection to the obedience of Christ. {3T 201.2} "When man places himself under the control of God, the will becomes firm and strong to do right, the heart is cleansed from selfishness and filled with Christ-like love. The mind yields to the authority of the law of love, and every thought is brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. The powers, hitherto "members of unrighteousness," and "servants of sin," are consecrated to the service of the God of love. {AUCR, June 1, 1900 par. 10}

There is no indication Ellen taught the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are "filthy rags" or "tainted with sin" and "selfishness". On the contrary, she plainly says - "The Saviour took upon Himself the infirmities of humanity and lived a sinless life, that men might have no fear that because of the weakness of human nature they could not overcome. Christ came to make us "partakers of the divine nature," and His life declares that humanity, combined with divinity, does not commit sin." {MH 180.5}

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/18/11 08:07 PM

There is no indication Ellen taught the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are "filthy rags" or "tainted with sin" and "selfishness".

Then why did she say they are of no value to God unless first purified by Christ's blood?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/19/11 02:28 AM

Quote:

Self, selfishness, or the sinful nature, is crucified, not completely eliminated, and it can sometimes manifest itself - consciously or unconsciously.

Take a look at this passage:

The children of God will be stirred in spirit by the doings of these unworthy members, and they will desire to do something to cleanse the church, that its members may be a light to shine in the world; but even under these circumstances, let them be careful to heed the words of the great Teacher: "Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them." There is such a thing as zeal not according to knowledge; and could all the circumstances be opened which surround these souls, the zealous church-members might have their ideas modified, and be led to pursue an entirely different course. They would see that a work devolved upon them to seek and save instead of to destroy, to manifest longsuffering, gentleness, patience, and love, to those whose character and life are below the standard. To cut them off from the church would, perhaps, extinguish their last hope. And who can determine how God looks upon these manifestly erring ones? In many cases it is evident that those who are most zealous to see the church without blemish, have serious defects of character which they do not discern. Because of their own mistakes and failings, unconsciously to themselves, they may be doing greater harm than the one they judge unworthy to remain in fellowship with the church. {RH, January 10, 1893 par. 3}

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/19/11 08:08 PM

M: There is no indication Ellen taught the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are "filthy rags" or "tainted with sin" and "selfishness".

A: Then why did she say they are of no value to God unless first purified by Christ's blood?

Ellen wrote:

Quote:
You cannot obtain heaven without earnest, persevering effort. As viewed in the light of heaven, your life hitherto has been aimless and nearly useless. You now have opportunity to redeem the time and to wash your robe of character in the blood of the Lamb. God will help you if you feel your need of His help. Your righteousness is of no value with God. It is only through the merits of Christ that you will be victor at last. And if you can be among those who shall be saved with an everlasting salvation, heaven will be cheap enough. {3T 338.1}

The righteousness we experience without Jesus is of no value to God. However, the following passages make it abundantly clear the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are acceptable and pleasing to God:

Quote:
Having a sense of our companionship we would do the things that are pleasing in the sight of God. {ST, October 14, 1897 par. 8}

You must seek to help yourselves by doing those things that will be pleasing in the sight of God, who is too pure and holy to regard with approval anything like falsehood or deception. {3MR 54.1}

True faith leads away from selfish plans and from the self-pleasing life. Obedience, in order to be acceptable to God, must be the whole-souled obedience that Christ ever offered to the Father. {RH, August 2, 1906 par. 5}

The time has now come when we need to hide in the cleft of the Rock, and view the character of God. Enoch walked with God 300 years. He reflected upon God, he contemplated his character, and his life was well-pleasing in the sight of God. {4MR 411.4}

You should remember that it is not the large work which is the most pleasing to God; but the spirit which we possess in doing the work he gives. If we put our whole heart and soul into the work, and do everything with faithfulness, little though the work may be, it will be wholly acceptable in the sight of God, and will bring its reward. {PH107 2.2}

Our good works cannot atone for one sin. But Jesus knew this, and he came from Heaven to the earth to bring to us this divine help, that through his excellence of character, and through our faith in him, our human efforts would be acceptable with God, and we should finally be rewarded as our works have been. {HR, March 1, 1874 par. 8}

God is no respecter of persons. He that doeth righteousness is righteous. A mere profession is of no value, and knowledge is of worth only as it is used righteously. {TDG 78.3}

The religion that does not reveal itself in good works, in true righteousness and goodness, in saving the souls of poor sinners, is of no value in the estimation of God, and it will not save the souls of those who possess it. {RH, December 12, 1893 par. 2}

Your sins are reckoned to Jesus, his righteousness is imputed to you. For God "hath made him to be sin for us who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." Thus your prayers are accepted, becoming unto God a sweet-smelling savor in the beloved. Thus you enter into his rights, and become an heir with God and joint heir with Jesus Christ. You will enter into His victories, and the reward of eternal life will be given you. {PH096 78.1}

Your faith without obedience to God's holy law is of no value, but obedience to God and faith in the Great Sacrifice offered,-- that his blood was shed for you, and you will accept the righteousness of Christ,--will make you an overcomer. Put your trust in Jesus Christ, and he will bring you off more than conqueror. {YI, August 18, 1886 par. 7}

If we do God's will, we may accept large blessings as God's free gift, but not because of any merit in us; this is of no value. Do the work of Christ, and you will honor God and come off more than conquerors through Him that has loved us and given His life for us, that we should have life and salvation in Jesus Christ. {FW 27.2}

It is not the length of time we labor but our willingness and fidelity in the work that makes it acceptable to God. In all our service a full surrender of self is demanded. The smallest duty done in sincerity and self-forgetfulness is more pleasing to God than the greatest work when marred with self-seeking. He looks to see how much of the spirit of Christ we cherish, and how much of the likeness of Christ our work reveals. He regards more the love and faithfulness with which we work than the amount we do. Only when selfishness is dead, when strife for supremacy is banished, when gratitude fills the heart, and love makes fragrant the life--it is only then that Christ is abiding in the soul, and we are recognized as laborers together with God. {COL 402}

Neither prayer nor almsgiving has any virtue in itself to recommend the sinner to God; the grace of Christ, through His atoning sacrifice, can alone renew the heart and make our service acceptable to God. . . Such prayer from a sincere heart ascends as incense before the Lord; and offerings to His cause and gifts to the needy and suffering are a sacrifice well pleasing to Him. . . "an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God" . . . Thus while our gifts cannot recommend us to God or earn His favor, they are an evidence that we have received the grace of Christ. They are a test of the sincerity of our profession of love. {HP 306}

We are the living human agencies to represent in character Jesus Christ to the world. Not only did Christ give explicit rules showing how we may become obedient children, but He showed us in His own life and character just how to do those things which are right and acceptable with God, so there is no excuse why we should not do those things which are pleasing in His sight. {LHU 169.4}

We are ever to be thankful that Jesus has proved to us by actual facts that man can keep the commandments of God, giving contradiction to Satan's falsehood that man cannot keep them. The Great Teacher came to our world to stand at the head of humanity, to thus elevate and sanctify humanity by His holy obedience to all of God's requirements showing it is possible to obey all the commandments of God. He has demonstrated that a lifelong obedience is possible. Thus He gives men to the world, as the Father gave the Son, to exemplify in their life the life of Jesus Christ. {LHU 169.5}

Not only did Christ give explicit rules showing how we may become obedient children, but He showed us in His own life and character just how to do those things which are right and acceptable with God, so there is no excuse why we should not do those things which are pleasing in His sight. . . . {OFC 310.3}

The great Teacher came to our world to stand at the head of humanity, to thus elevate and sanctify humanity by His holy obedience to all of God’s requirements, showing it is possible to obey all the commandments of God. He has demonstrated that a lifelong obedience is possible. Thus He gives chosen, representative men to the world, as the Father gave the Son, to exemplify in their life the life of Jesus Christ. {OFC 310.4}

In Him was found the perfect ideal. To reveal this ideal as the only true standard for attainment; to show what every human being might become; what, through the indwelling of humanity by divinity, all who received Him would become—for this, Christ came to the world. He came to show how men are to be trained as befits the sons of God; how on earth they are to practice the principles and to live the life of heaven. {OFC 310.5}

Our condition through sin has become preternatural, and the power that restores us must be supernatural, else it has no value. There is but one power that can break the hold of evil from the hearts of men, and that is the power of God in Jesus Christ. Only through the blood of the Crucified One is there cleansing from sin. His grace alone can enable us to resist and subdue the tendencies of our fallen nature. {8T 291.3}

So, as you can read, the righteous results of abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are well-pleasing and wholly acceptable to God. It totally satisfies law and justice. And, yes, they are made even sweeter ascending with the fragrance of Jesus. But to say they are sinful and unacceptable without His fragrance is to say something Ellen did not.

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/19/11 08:44 PM

M: Did you notice what she wrote about selfishness in the following passage: "All selfishness is expelled, all envy, all evil-speaking, is rooted out, and a radical transformation is wrought in the heart." You seem to think "all selfishness is expelled" in the radically transformed heart except for some aspects of selfishness. However, she wrote, "I write this to our people that they may see that it is not knowledge that they need, but new hearts, cleansed from all selfishness and covetousness." {SW 88.3} "When our hearts are emptied of all selfishness, and cleansed by the Spirit of Christ, we shall be vessels meet for the Master's use." {AUCR, August 1, 1902 par. 8} She also wrote:

R: Self, selfishness, or the sinful nature, is crucified, not completely eliminated, and it can sometimes manifest itself - consciously or unconsciously. Take a look at this passage:

The children of God will be stirred in spirit by the doings of these unworthy members, and they will desire to do something to cleanse the church, that its members may be a light to shine in the world; but even under these circumstances, let them be careful to heed the words of the great Teacher: "Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them." There is such a thing as zeal not according to knowledge; and could all the circumstances be opened which surround these souls, the zealous church-members might have their ideas modified, and be led to pursue an entirely different course. They would see that a work devolved upon them to seek and save instead of to destroy, to manifest longsuffering, gentleness, patience, and love, to those whose character and life are below the standard. To cut them off from the church would, perhaps, extinguish their last hope. And who can determine how God looks upon these manifestly erring ones? In many cases it is evident that those who are most zealous to see the church without blemish, have serious defects of character which they do not discern. Because of their own mistakes and failings, unconsciously to themselves, they may be doing greater harm than the one they judge unworthy to remain in fellowship with the church. {RH, January 10, 1893 par. 3}

Do you think the quotes I posted above describe the seriously defective members in the quote you posted, whose misplaced zeal cause great harm? For example, do you think the following quotes are describing the same person:

1. When our hearts are emptied of all selfishness, and cleansed by the Spirit of Christ, we shall be vessels meet for the Master's use. All selfishness is expelled, all envy, all evil-speaking, is rooted out, and a radical transformation is wrought in the heart. The Holy Spirit can make the tongue a savor of life unto life. Then we shall speak words that are elevating, refining, ennobling, words that are filled with the fragrance of Christ's righteousness, words that are a savor of life unto life.

2. In many cases it is evident that those who are most zealous to see the church without blemish, have serious defects of character which they do not discern. Because of their own mistakes and failings, unconsciously to themselves, they may be doing greater harm than the one they judge unworthy to remain in fellowship with the church.

PS - Ellen wrote: "Then we shall speak words that are elevating, refining, ennobling, words that are filled with the fragrance of Christ's righteousness, words that are a savor of life unto life." {HP 321.3} I hear you saying, no, such words ascend unacceptable to God because they are tainted with sin and selfishness. But I hear Ellen saying they proceed fragrant with Christ's righteousness from their lips - not made fragrant after the fact. Do you see what I mean?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 11/29/11 07:07 PM

Arnold and Rosangela, do you agree the quotes I posted above say the Father is well-pleased with the righteous results of abiding in Jesus?
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 12/05/11 05:18 AM

What does abiding in Jesus mean in practical daily living?

Arnold and Rosangela, do you agree the quotes I posted above say the Father is well-pleased with the righteous results of abiding in Jesus?

Re: Lesson #5 (4th Quarter 2011): Old Testament Faith - 12/05/11 08:06 PM

Daryl, Jesus' Sermon on the Mount describes the practical results of abiding in Jesus. It envisions overcoming as Jesus overcame. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
God's ideal for His children is higher than the highest human thought can reach. "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." This command is a promise. The plan of redemption contemplates our complete recovery from the power of Satan. Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin. He came to destroy the works of the devil, and He has made provision that the Holy Spirit shall be imparted to every repentant soul, to keep him from sinning. {DA 311.2}

All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us. {DA 668.3}

When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end. {DA 324.1}

However, as you know, Arnold and Rosangela believe the righteous results of abiding in Jesus are sinful and unacceptable to the Father.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church