Lesson #8 (4th Quarter 2011): From Slaves to Heirs

Posted By: asygo

Lesson #8 (4th Quarter 2011): From Slaves to Heirs - 11/14/11 02:05 AM

Here is the link to the study and discussion material for Lesson #8 (4th Quarter 2011): From Slaves to Heirs
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Lesson #8 (4th Quarter 2011): From Slaves to Heirs - 11/14/11 07:27 PM

What changed, so far as salvation is concerned, between the fall of Adam and the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus? Seems to me the process of salvation was the same for Adam as it is for us today. The fact Jesus died, rose, and returned to heaven in 31 AD didn't changed how people experience salvation. In this respect we are no better off today than the people who lived before Jesus came in the flesh. Like them, we believe in a Savior we have never seen in person. Whether we are salves or heirs depends on whether we experience salvation or not. Since Jesus is the "lamb slain from the foundation of the world" it doesn't matter, so far as being slaves or heirs is concerned, if we were born before or after Jesus lived and died. In practical terms, so far as day-to-day life is concerned, there is no advantage to living this side of Jesus' ascension.

Re: Lesson #8 (4th Quarter 2011): From Slaves to Heirs - 11/14/11 10:56 PM

I don't know if I would say that "there is no advantage to living this side of Jesus' ascension." However, I fully agree that the distinction between a slave and an heir is completely dependent on our accepting and experiencing salvation. I did not like Watchman Nee's illustration.

Re: Lesson #8 (4th Quarter 2011): From Slaves to Heirs - 11/15/11 06:59 PM

In practical terms, so far as day-to-day life is concerned, do you think there is an advantage to living this side of Jesus' ascension?

Yeah, comparing a dog and an infant is interesting. But the comparison is so far off the mark as to discount the illustration.

Re: Lesson #8 (4th Quarter 2011): From Slaves to Heirs - 11/15/11 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
In practical terms, so far as day-to-day life is concerned, do you think there is an advantage to living this side of Jesus' ascension?

We have some historical "proof" of Jesus today. In Abraham's day, there was no such thing. It was easier to discount the Messiah back then.

But we both know that belief in His existence is far from sufficient. Even the demons believe, and tremble.

Re: Lesson #8 (4th Quarter 2011): From Slaves to Heirs - 11/16/11 06:32 PM

So true. Admitting Jesus is Messiah isn't the same as experiencing salvation, namely, the freedom to grow in grace and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit. The greatest proof Jesus is Lord and Savior is testified every time believers resist temptation and manifest the fruits of the Spirit - "righteousness and true holiness". Thank you, Jesus.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church