Was Adam With Eve When She Was Deceived By The Devil?

Posted By: Daryl

Was Adam With Eve When She Was Deceived By The Devil? - 03/12/06 12:19 AM

"Satan charmed the first Adam by his sophistry, just as he charms men and women today, leading them to believe a lie. Adam did not reach above his humanity for divine power. He believed the words of Satan. But the second Adam was not to become the enemy's bondslave." {ST, December 3, 1902 par. 6} [/quote]

This quote confuses me as I thought the conversation was between the devil and Eve rather than between the devil and Adam, unless Adam was also there and listened to and was also deceived by the devil.

I guess my question really is, was Adam there with Eve in front of the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil where the devil disguised as a serpent conversed with Eve and deceived her?
Posted By: Tammy Roesch

Re: Was Adam With Eve When She Was Deceived By The Devil? - 03/12/06 03:54 AM

Here are several quotes, Daryl, that show she was alone with the serpent, and also one that says how she was used by the serpent.

quote:
Adam regretted that Eve had left his side; {ST, January 23, 1879 par. 1}
quote:
The angels had cautioned Eve to beware of separating herself from her husband while occupied in their daily labor in the garden; with him she would be in less danger from temptation than if she were alone. But absorbed in her pleasing task, she unconsciously wandered from his side. On perceiving that she was alone, she felt an apprehension of danger, but dismissed her fears, deciding that she had sufficient wisdom and strength to discern evil and to withstand it. Unmindful of the angels' caution, she soon found herself gazing with mingled curiosity and admiration upon the forbidden tree. {PP 53.5}
quote:
It was grateful to the taste, and as she ate, she seemed to feel a vivifying power, and imagined herself entering upon a higher state of existence. Without a fear she plucked and ate. And now, having herself transgressed, she became the agent of Satan in working the ruin of her husband. In a state of strange, unnatural excitement, with her hands filled with the forbidden fruit, she sought his presence, and related all that had occurred. {PP 55.3}
quote:
Satan charmed the first Adam by his sophistry,
I think that just means that Satan USED Eve to reach Adam. He "charmed" Adam, with Eve.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Was Adam With Eve When She Was Deceived By The Devil? - 03/12/06 05:11 AM

Daryl, didn't we recently have a long thread discussing this not too long ago? Why start a new thread? If you ask your question in the other thread, then people who weren't here could read what was written in that thread, and see the quotes that were presented, etc.

It seems to me we will just be bringing up the same arguments and texts that were brought up before, won't we?

That being said, you have some specific reason for starting this thread anew. If so, would you say what it is please?
Posted By: Jeff

Re: Was Adam With Eve When She Was Deceived By The Devil? - 03/12/06 07:57 AM

Could someone then post a link to the topic or give the topic name and which forum it's in?

jeff

Re: Was Adam With Eve When She Was Deceived By The Devil? - 03/13/06 03:43 AM

I thought there was a topic about this elsewhere, however, after unsuccessfully searching for it, I created this one.

I will take another look for it though.

If anybody does locate it, please post the link to it here.

Re: Was Adam With Eve When She Was Deceived By The Devil? - 03/13/06 04:04 AM

I finally located the other topic at the following link:

http://www.maritime-sda-online.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000163

I am, therefore, closing this topic in favour of the other one, and will re-post my opening post of this topic there.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church