reflections on the Lord's Prayer

Posted By: John H.

reflections on the Lord's Prayer - 06/22/02 03:42 AM

I got this in e-mail last night from my cousin in Atlanta, who's a Catholic -- married to one, anyway. She in turn got this from her prayer group, she said.

quote:

The Lord's Prayer....

I cannot say "Our" if I live only for myself.
I cannot say "Father" if I do not endeavor each day to act like His child.
I cannot say "Who Art In Heaven" if I am storing up no treasure there.
I cannot say "Hallowed Be Thy Name" if I am not striving for holiness.
I cannot say "Thy Kingdom Come" if I am not doing all in my power to hasten that wonderful event.
I cannot say "Thy Will Be Done" if I am disobedient to His word.
I cannot say "In Earth As It Is In Heaven" if I'll not serve Him here and now.
I cannot say "Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread" if I am dishonest or seeking things by subterfuge.
I cannot say "Forgive Us Our Debts" if I harbor a grudge against anyone.
I cannot say "Lead Us Not Into Temptation" if I deliberately place myself in its path.
I cannot say "Deliver Us From Evil" if I do not use the graces and common sense I have been given.
I cannot say "Thine Is The Kingdom" if I don't give the King the loyalty due from a faithful subject.
I cannot attribute to Him "The Power" if I fear what men may do.
I cannot ascribe to Him "The Glory" if I am seeking honor only for myself, and I cannot say "Forever" if the horizon of my life is bounded completely by time.

Amen.

Posted By: Ikan

Re: reflections on the Lord's Prayer - 06/22/02 04:53 AM

Thanks John...good devotional.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: reflections on the Lord's Prayer - 08/17/02 04:11 AM

That fits interestingly into another topic I have going in one of the other public forums of MSDAOL.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church