Bird Feeders

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Bird Feeders - 11/18/00 06:15 AM

A couple of days ago I finally pulled up a metal stake from the dead tomato vine (Ed had used it to tie up the tomato) that is used for hanging a flower basket and wired it to the back stoop. (It's much too small to be called a porch.) After making sure that it was secure, I hung a redwood bird feeder on it. I used this method because I can reach the feeder easily to fill and it is just a couple of feet from the kitchen window.

I wondered how long it would take for the birds to find it. Less than 24 hours it turned it. I've never replaced all the nature books lost in the flood, so I am unsure just what birds have started using it, but I'm quite it is probably sparrows or maybe wrens.

One, however, seems to have decided that it is his private, personal feeding station and roost. I was working in the kitchen this afternoon when I heard a commotion and looked out to see the equivalent of a bird quarrel. When it was over, one bird was left and he hunkered down for a rest. That's right-- the one who thinks it belongs to him!

So what do I do now? I would like to attract other kinds of birds, especially cardinals. The feeder contains mixed seeds, including sunflower seeds which I know cardinals like, but my little hoarder/boarder may not let them anywhere close! Any suggestions?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited November 17, 2000).]

Posted By: Catherine

Re: Bird Feeders - 11/20/00 05:47 AM

It would help to know what kind of bird you are dealing with. Most of the "bully" birds prefer sunflower seeds, millet, or corn, and will go away if you only fill your feeders with safflower seed for the cardinals, chickadees, and nuthatches, and niger (thistle) for the finches. Of course, these just happen to be the most expensive seeds you can buy, but you won't have to buy as much as you would with all of the larger birds coming and filling up.

My own experience is that the large birds, like the blue jay, will chase away all of the other birds while they are at the feeder, but they will all come while he is away and get their share. But it doesn't sound like your greedy little friend is going to do that!

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Posted By: Linda Sutton

Re: Bird Feeders - 11/21/00 02:35 AM

I think that little hoarder/boarder found himself outnumbered and hasn't been trying to rule the roost.

Yesterday morning there were quite a number of birds at the feeder. Most were sparrows, but there was a pair of cardinals. I seen them around for a couple of years. I believe that cardinals mate for life. Since it has gotten cold early this year, the birds are emptying the seeds out fast. But if they eat it up before payday, they'll just have to wait till I can get more seed to fill it with.

------------------

I just fixed a couple of typos for you, Linda.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited November 20, 2000).]

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church