"Orphaned Birds"

Posted By: Catherine

"Orphaned Birds" - 01/14/01 03:50 AM

The following information appeared in the February/March 2001 issue of Birds and Blooms magazine, and I decided to pass it along here.

Nesting season will soon begin in many parts of North America, and bird lovers may wonder what to do if they find a young bird outside its nest, seemingly abandoned by its parents. However, many young birds leave the nest before they can fly, so don't assume something is wrong if you find a young bird on the ground. In most cases, the parents are nearby waiting for the human to leave so they can continue teaching the young fledgling how to find food or fend for itself.

If it's obvious a young bird has fallen from its nest, and predators, such as house cats, are a concern, put the bird back in the nest or on a branch. If the parent doesn't return after several hours, it's best to contact a certified wildlife rehabilitator in your area. It is illegal to keep native songbirds captive, and most people have no idea what to feed young birds and could give them food that is unsuitable or harmful.

Birds naturally draw human sympathy, but what at first appears to be a tragedy is more likely a completely normal situation, and human intervention can often do more harm than good.

For more information on orphaned or injured birds, you may visit the Birds and Blooms web site at www.birdsandblooms.com and see the article entitled "The Right Way to Help Out Birds," which first appeared in the June/July 1995 issue.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited January 13, 2001).]

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: "Orphaned Birds" - 01/14/01 08:17 PM

On Friday I visited with a couple (originally from Cape Breton) who sometimes "kept" wild birds. The woman said that her fantasy was to raise a cardinal, but she later said that only bird parents know exactly what is best for their offspring, even to the point of giving them their bright red plumage.

(Good, now I got the chance to use a cardinal icon).

------------------
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Don't let yesterday's mistakes trouble you, nor tomorrow's fears spoil your day.

Pastor Andrew

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church