drafted bird person

Posted By: Restin

drafted bird person - 06/22/02 10:34 PM

My husband and I used to go out with the pastor and his family on birding forays, with Peterson's guide and the works. I got a lot of birds on my life list, and it was fun and education, as I'm a nature lover anyway. We live in Central Florida. But i never was a major bird person. But this year the drought has been so bad I started feeding the birds around. To my astonishment, they have become quite the little beggars. I didnt realize they're that smart. I feel bad I've ignored them all these years. Now, when I go buy groceries I find myself getting some extra for them. I'm such a softy. The gov passed a law recently that we cant feed wild animals. I live next to the Wekiva State Park and there are many wild animals that go thru my place.
Posted By: Zita

Re: drafted bird person - 06/23/02 12:50 PM

Restin, welcome to our bird site.
That was an interesting post about birdlife in your area.

I know that here, if I start feeding the birds, they are there every day waiting. They soon get to know. We talk about birdbrain, but I have never found a bird that lacks yet.

Interested in the law passed and wondering what was behind the no feeding wild animals.

The only time I have seen that is when pigeons hang around outdoor cafe's, and I can understand that!
Infact I was visiting a major city here, and was sitting outside having a muffin and a herb tea, observing them. They were so cheeky they were all over the tables and sitting on the backs of chairs - waiting for a crumb or two!

What about squirrels? Or do they have to fend for themselves.
Posted By: Amelia

Re: drafted bird person - 06/24/02 03:42 AM

ROFL the birds in my area know to come to my house for food. I have several feeders. The jays and the squirrels also know that If they knock on the correct window, out will come peanuts. [Tasty] . One squirrel even comes looking for me in other windows if I dont respond to the knock on the feeding window. Just the other day while I was out in the yard gardening, a female crow was clucking at me from the eave. So I told her to just wait a minute and I would get her some nuts. When I came back out she had three babies lined up on that eave waiting. So birds are not the "bird brains' we often think they are.

Amelia
Posted By: Zita

Re: drafted bird person - 06/26/02 12:40 PM

Amelia, how absolutely delightful!
Mother and babies!

What fun we can have looking after the many and varied creatures God has give us.

Tomorrow, I think I am aquiring another cockatiel.

It's owner has passed away, so it will be a pleasure to take care of it.

I think I will put it in the small avery.

Whenever I get out in the garden, the birds in both averies get very noisy. I have to talk, whistle, and call out all the time I am working. They just love company.

It must be so nice to have a squirrel in your back yard.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church