wild backyard birds

Posted By: BELLE

wild backyard birds - 07/03/03 07:11 AM

I have been enjoying seeing the birds get baths in the birdbath this summer. In the past I have seen birds come to the bath and take a drink but this year they seem to be splashing a lot more and really getting wet. There have been robins, mourning doves, cardinals, blue jays and today the starlings were going at it.

The funniest thing today was a young male cardinal on the bird feeder posing in the wierdest position - head back and wing cocked out and perfectly still for minutes.

It was a warm sunny day and I think it was soaking up the sun while he had a chance. My husband thinks he was getting cool - hyperventilating. I insist that if he were hot he would go into the birdbath and cool down.

Either way, God's little creatures bring us so much pleasure and even stories to share.
Posted By: Zita

Re: wild backyard birds - 07/25/03 10:04 AM

I too delight in watching the birds take their baths, wheter it be in a birdbath or a pool of water from the hose on a hot day.
The birds in the avery love their clean bath water every day and wait for it with great anticipation, each species know when it is 'their' turn.

I enjoyed your descriptive post Belle and can visualize the 'pose'!
Posted By: Zita

Re: wild backyard birds - 03/02/04 10:16 AM

My friend has a tree which is presently filled with delicous red berries. I am able to park my car right next to it and watch the antics of the large and small birds as they feed - totally unaware of my presence.
Today there is only a ring of berries left on the lower branches, and there is one very interested cat that visits each day - just to keep a check on things!
Always a delight to watch nature - God's playground.
Posted By: Doug Meister

Re: wild backyard birds - 04/17/04 11:33 AM

Belle, birds drop a wing and puff their feathers for two reasons. One is to let the sun in and cook mites or to heat their bods. The sun feels good on their skin. The other reason is: pick one up and blow hot air inside their feathers and they will drop a wing and puff up to cool off. I think your bird was enjoying a sun bath.
--Ðøug  - 2004.4.17.1.32.49 PT
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church