Birds seen lately

Posted By: Redfog

Birds seen lately - 09/03/06 01:27 AM

This summer a family of sparrow hawks have taken up residence around our house. Though I've not seen the nest it must be close. This last week I've been seeing the young hunting with their parents. When they take mice and moles I'm thankful, not so much so when they take song birds.

Also in the field in front of our house there have been sand-hill cranes for the first time this summer. Until a couple of years ago we never saw them except maybe passing by high over head, but lately as I tend to the bees I'm seeing them more and more. Tall redheaded birds with 6-7 foot wing spans. (Redhead? Hey they and I have something in common!)

Redfog
Posted By: gordonb1

Re: Birds seen lately - 09/03/06 02:14 AM

Hello Redfog,

Last week I drove up to a pond and, shutting the truck door, realized I was being watched by a Great Blue Heron standing no more than 30 feet from me, unfazed by the truck noise. We observed each other for some time and as I turned back, a hummingbird appeared before me and perched (motionless!) for several seconds on a tree branch, within arm's reach.

The previous week I was surrounded by Monarch butterflies while working on a machine outdoors. One, then two, and finally four Monarchs had landed on my person for a short conversation and were even reluctant to take flight. They fluttered around for the afternoon. In these acts I saw the caring hand of my Creator.

God has special blessings for those who leave the cities. His creatures have many lessons to impart.

Gordon
Posted By: Garywk

Re: Birds seen lately - 03/25/17 08:21 AM

While this is a very old thread I just have to add an experience I had last summer with a brewers sparrow.

I was sitting outside with a pair of binoculars and a spotting scope on a tripod watching birds. It was something I did every day and I guess it got to be so common that the birds began to accept me as harmless and even grew curious as to who or what I was.

I had my binoculars up viewing some quail and I heard, and felt, a pair of wings right next to my head. I lowered my binoculars and there was a brewers sparrow sitting on my spotting scope less than a foot from my head observing me observing birds. He and I sat there for about a minute just looking at each other and when he had seen enough off he flew.
Posted By: daylily

Re: Birds seen lately - 04/01/17 02:36 AM

Neat experience! I had forgotten, if I ever knew that there is a Bird Watchers forum. We should revive ti!
Posted By: Garywk

Re: Birds seen lately - 04/03/17 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: daylily
Neat experience! I had forgotten, if I ever knew that there is a Bird Watchers forum. We should revive ti!

I certainly have no problem with that. I most likely won't be able to do much bird watching this year, but I find it very interesting.
Posted By: The Wanderer

Re: Birds seen lately - 04/11/17 11:55 AM

Well, while i was out looking for birds today, I cam across this guy. Does that count? smile

Attached File
IMG_6103wwww.jpg  (90 downloads)
Posted By: Elle

Re: Birds seen lately - 04/11/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: The Wanderer
Well, while i was out looking for birds today, I cam across this guy. Does that count? smile

Very nice looking guy.... I have a similar like that but mine is white. Or maybe that guy is just very dirty! Nice color tho. Do you know the breed?

Re: Birds seen lately - 04/11/17 07:07 PM

No. I a, reasonably sure it belongs tp a local farmer smile

Re: Birds seen lately - 04/11/17 07:08 PM

and yes. I think what we see is the natural color of the dog smile
Posted By: Elle

Re: Birds seen lately - 04/19/17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: The Wanderer
and yes. I think what we see is the natural color of the dog smile

Very nice picture and a very nice dog with a great disposition.

I was trying to load up a picture of Coquette (my white dog -- a Maremma) but failed many times....do I need Daryl to give me permission before hand?

Well here's a picture from the net of a Maremma. Similar look, but colorwise very different. I was wondering if your boy was an Akbash? Their color can go into the golden instead of white. I read the Akbash are the toughest of all the guardian dogs. However, your guy seems quite nice; but I wouldn't try to penetrate his territory.

Re: Birds seen lately - 04/19/17 08:06 PM

Actually, it is not my dog, so I am not sure. I was trying to photograph Red Tailed Hawks from the side of a farmer's field, when this guy came along and wanted to play. I told him I would make him famous on the internet if he did not run out on the road, and he complied perfectly. smile
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church