Are we like this priest in some ways?

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Are we like this priest in some ways? - 03/30/01 05:54 PM

I saw a movie (light comedy) set in a small village modern Ireland the other day. One of the characters was a young Catholic priest who was a technophile. He was trying to draw everyone he could to his church with the latest audiovisual and other technical stuff.

The church bell had broken and was too expensive to fix, so he came up with the ultimate technophlie's answer. He placed giant speakers in the bell tower and hooked up a stereo system to them. He then purchased a tape of "Greatest Bell Ringing Throughout the World." That way the small village he pastored in could hear bells just like they were rung in St. Peter's, Chartres, Lyon, etc.

Later on in the movie, the speakers were used for someone to advertize his love for his female "interest" through poetry.

The story kind of made me smile when I looked at our own church's interest in technical things. (Net, DVD's, etc.)

In the end, the movie didn't actually make fun of the priest, but it did show him as playing a useful, redemptive role in society despite (or because of) his reliance on technology.

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

Posted By: Jason P

Re: Are we like this priest in some ways? - 04/05/01 11:55 PM

How cool!! I love it.
Posted By: Edward F Sutton

Re: Are we like this priest in some ways? - 04/06/01 02:33 PM

Yupper's one smart Priest. But should have accessed the web via a satellite link . Totallllly Digital.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church