grants for school computers?

Posted By: John H.

grants for school computers? - 03/22/04 01:51 AM

We have a K-8 SDA school here with about 20 students. I talked with the teacher yesterday about the computer situation, and what we have is about 10 machines that are old old old, as in 486 old. So we need about 10 new computers to bring the students into the 21st century.

Does anyone here have experience with obtaining grants from charitable foundations for such things? I've checked online at some charitable foundations' sites, but most of them don't get into granting funds to religious organizations.

Ellen White said we shouldn't be shy about going to people of the world who have funds, to ask them to contribute to our cause.

I just wonder if there's anyone here who can point us in the right direction, save some searching time. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Will

Re: grants for school computers? - 03/22/04 04:00 AM

Hi John,
I see an opportunity for either:
A. Large company to donate systems as a "sponsor" for educating the students.
B. Local businesses to donate either funds, or computers to help the cause.

Either way something will come along, and what I would do is tackle A & B.
The way I would do it is first make sure you hav the information you need to present to these people i.e. Amount of computers needed, their purpose, mention that its tax deductible etc etc..
You will need to get in touch with the decision maker if its a local computer shop, or if it's a large corporation (Apple?IBM?) let them know that you are looking to get computer systems for K-8 program for the students, and that this would be a great opportunity for them to help out the community etc etc.. (You get the gist of this right?)
Work out a deal with a local computer shop and explain to them the benefits of donating to such a cause since these students have parents and the parents will probably upgrade their systems, or want to buy peripherals this can be used for referrals or something for the sponsor which translates into cash for them.

Also your local library will have information on getting grants for such things, and it will also prove a valuable resource for finding out the businesses that fall under "Computers" or similar.. I hope this is helpful.
God Bless,
Will

Re: grants for school computers? - 03/22/04 07:55 AM

Some good ideas Will, thanks! I've also thought about approaching some of my own computer clients and asking them to pull out their checkbooks, esp. some of those who are well-to-do. As you say, it's a tax deduction.

Somehow we're going to get new, or factory-refurbished-like-new computers for these kids without breaking the church treasury. Another guy who works in the computer sci dep't. at the local university and myself will provide the labor for free; that'll save a lot right there.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: grants for school computers? - 03/22/04 01:46 PM

Perhaps this idea dont work in america but my suggestion would be to find a company or other organisation thats also in the progress of updating their computers. They would most likely either throw away the old ones or sell them very cheaply. Therefore they might give them to you (the market for used 3-4 year old computers isnt that big is it?). The computers wont be new but a 3-4 year old computer will be a huge step forward compared to the 486 you have. You most likely dont need anything newer than that. There might be a need to replace some parts but the cost of keyboards and mouses (possibly CDRs) isnt much in the context.

/Thomas

Re: grants for school computers? - 03/22/04 02:27 PM

Another good idea Thomas (why didn't I think of that!)

There are a fair number of large businesses around here, plus the hospital/medical school and the university.

Guess I need to make some phone calls, scope out the landscape, eh.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church