Aircard

Posted By: Daryl

Aircard - 04/13/13 02:08 AM

GC posted in the Instant Chat Box that he bought an Aircard, which I never heard about before, therefore, I googled it and came up with the following:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessnetworkadapters/f/what-is-aircard.htm

How pricey is pricey?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Aircard - 04/13/13 02:12 AM

I googled it too. smile
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Aircard - 04/14/13 03:06 AM

The aircard itself was about $32. The airtime for it is where the "pricey" comes in. By US standards, it's not pricey. But on the local economy, it's up there. It's fine for pure text stuff, but for larger files such as I use for my work, it would add up fast. (It's bandwidth and time related both, like prepaid cell phone plans can be.) So I have to reserve file transfers for those times when I have a solid internet connection somewhere else, and just use the aircard for email, this forum, etc.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Aircard - 04/14/13 03:09 AM

How far, time and bandwidth, does a $32 aircard go?

In other words, how long of time is it good for?
Posted By: Green Cochoa

Re: Aircard - 04/14/13 03:21 AM

The $32 was for the device itself. The airtime has to be purchased separately. There is a sim card in it that registers with cell phone networks. Airtime is purchased at any convenience store, just like prepaid minutes for cell phones.

In my case, there are dozens of options. I can spend as little as $0.25 for a day's usage (with very minimal bandwidth, mind you), or I can spend $15 or more for multiple days with more bandwidth. There are monthly rates as well. I could have chosen a yearly plan, but opted not to in light of the fact that my travels may require that I am not in this country all of the time, and these plans are country-specific. In another country, I should be able to buy a different sim card and then pay for airtime there.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church