US Elections

Posted By: Linda Sutton

US Elections - 11/07/00 03:00 PM

Today is the day for national and local elections in the USA. By this evening we should know who our next president will be. One candidate will get and the other will get

From what I can find, either candidate has strong potential for ushering in the events and laws that restrict religious liberty and freedom. Neither major party candidate has reserves about using tax money for religious organizations.

------------------

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: US Elections - 11/07/00 06:25 PM

Canada also has an election coming on at the end of the month. The differences in philosophies between our canditates are quite wide.

Many Adventists of a conservative nature are "taking to" the Alliance (Reform) Party. The Conference Secretary in Ontario is running in the riding of Oshawa (after resigning his post)

The Alliance leader, Stockwell Day, is a pre-millenialist who many people consider dangerous because he believes in the literal soon-coming of Christ. He also believes (according to a report by a critic) that at Christ's coming, the whole earth will be anniahlated.

He also refuses to campaign of Sunday, his day of rest.

We shall see.

With 2 major North American countries heading for the poles in the same month, the whole direction of the world can change quite rapidly.

------------------
As the Happy Moments Roll,

Pastor Andrew

Posted By: Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/07/00 10:18 PM

Election day in Canada is on Monday, November 27th which just happens to be my wife's birthday.

Thank you Pastor Andrew on the information about Stockwell Day which will make his election campaign more interesting to follow.

I will also be following the US Election this evening with great interest.

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 12:59 AM

I didn't know that Canada was also having elections this month. US politicing and campaining have so taken over the news and airwaves that I guess no one found time to mention, "O, by the way, Canada. . . ." So I'll be watching to see what happens north of the border.

We won't start getting much by way of election results here for another two hours when the polls close in the Eastern time zone. I really have no desire to watch the results on the TV, so I may tune in the news websites once in awhile to see how things are going. I won't loose any sleep over it tonight.

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited November 07, 2000).]

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 03:08 AM

Tried watching the evening news. Everything is the election. Bush has won the states of Kentucky and Indiana as of 6:30 PM.
Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 03:48 AM

Doesn't really matter who wins, the only difference I see in the candidates is that one is represented by an Elephant ( greedy and gluttonous ) and the other by a jackass ( self explanitory ) .

Guess we'll have to wait to see.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 03:56 AM

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 05:31 AM

Looks like a close race.

Bush = 185 (18 States won)
Gore = 182 (14 States won)

I wonder who will win?

We will soon know.

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 05:56 AM

It definitely looks like a close race as Gore has now taken the lead.

Gore = 192 (15 States won)

I wonder who will win?

We will soon know.

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 06:04 AM

The results have been revised as follows:

Gore = 167 (14 States won)

This is really an interesting one.

I wonder what it will look like in the next few minutes?

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 06:08 AM

The results are now showing as:

Bush = 197 (21 States won)

Bush seems to be taking a greater lead.

I wonder if it will stay that way?

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 06:12 AM

Bush has increased his lead even more.

Bush = 212 (23 States won)

I still wonder if it will stay that way?

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 06:16 AM

Another update.

Bush = 217 (24 States won)

Total electoral votes needed to win the presidency: 270

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 06:28 AM

Yet another update.

Gore = 172 (15 States won)

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited November 07, 2000).]

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 07:11 AM

Gore is back in the lead again but for how long?

Gore = 230 (17 States won)

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 07:19 AM

Gore is still in the lead again but for how long as Bush is closing in again?

Bush = 225 (25 States won)

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 07:25 AM

Almost neck to neck.

Bush = 229 (26 States won)

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 03:23 PM

It will be hours or even days before we have the final tally. Apparently there is already talk of voter irregularities. This is the closest elections in many years. In the end, god is still in control.

------------------

Re: US Elections - 11/08/00 05:14 PM

Here is the latest.

Gore = 260 (20 States won - 48,437,576 votes)
Bush = 246 (29 States won - 48,236,746 votes)

Total Electoral Votes need to win = 270

Florida:

Bush = 2,909,136 votes (49%)
Gore = 2,907,351 votes (49%)

Whoever wins in Florida may be the one that will become the next President of the USA.

Daryl

Posted By: Catherine

Re: US Elections - 11/09/00 04:22 AM

My son told me that he found out a short time ago on the 'net that the final results are not expected until the 17th!

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: US Elections - 11/09/00 07:10 AM

Florida will have the recount done tomorrow at 5PM EST, but they have ten days after the election to receive absentee ballots. That's why the date Nov. 17th comes up.

On top of that there is talk of a possible Democratic challange of the results. Now it would really be something if January 20, 2001 rolls around and they still haven't decided who's going to be sworn in as the next president

'course I could settle it real quick-- eeny, meeny, minee, moe.....

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: US Elections - 11/09/00 04:57 PM

What a way to start the Millenium!

------------------

Pastor Andrew

Posted By: Jason P

Re: US Elections - 11/11/00 07:05 AM

This election is driving us US residents nuts. Sure hope it doesn't come down to a judge (probably a Clinton apointee) to decide who becomes the next Pres.
Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: US Elections - 11/17/00 12:11 AM

Leno had a great line:

"If the vote total comes down to those overseas mail-in ballots, then the President of the United States will be decided by people who don't love the US enough to live in it!"

------------------

Pastor Andrew

Re: US Elections - 11/17/00 01:50 AM

There's just one problem with Leno's joke-- many of those overseas ballots come from military personnel on deployment in other parts of the world.

Re: US Elections - 11/17/00 04:42 AM

There are also over a thousand US Florida Jews who live in Israel--most of them vote Democrat.

The United States only approves of overseas ballots from countries that provide postmarks--Israel does this.

I wonder what they'll do with astronauts who are up for several months in the new space station when the next election takes place?

------------------

Pastor Andrew

Re: US Elections - 11/17/00 07:42 AM

Pastor Andrew, I hope we won't be here on this earth long enough for another national election. Then we'll be the astronauts but without space suits, space ship, or space station! I want to go home!

------------------

Re: US Elections - 11/17/00 05:07 PM

Amen.

As I prayed once at the end of a campmeeting when asked to mention the planning of next year's function, "Forgive us for our lack of faith in assuming that Christ will not come sooner than next July..."

------------------

Pastor Andrew

Re: US Elections - 11/27/00 10:03 PM

From CNN:

Certified Florida Count:

Bush = 2,912,790 votes
Gore = 2,912,253 votes
Difference = 537 votes.

Bush declared the winner, and, therefore, the next President of the U.S.A. which is being contested by Gore.

quote:

Democratic U.S. Rep. Richard Gephardt and U.S. Sen. Tom Daschle today assured Al Gore and Joe Lieberman that there is support for their challenge of Florida's certified election results.

Gephardt said in a news conference afterward that a "full, fair and accurate count" of Florida ballots could result in Gore winning the state's 25 electoral votes and, in turn, the presidency.

It will be interesting to see what happens next and who will ultimately become the next President of the U.S.A.

Daryl

Re: US Elections - 11/29/00 04:43 PM

The one that God wants to be president, will be.

These 2 remind me of a couple of kids on a playground, they both want the same toy and neither will back off and let the other have it.

Posted By: J. R. Layman

Re: US Elections - 12/12/00 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry Buck:

These 2 remind me of a couple of kids on a playground, they both want the same toy and neither will back off and let the other have it. [/B]

Garry: The FACT is, that G.W. won the election.

GW won the automatic recount

GW was certified as the winner the first time by the Fla. Sect. of State.

GW was certified as the winner a 2nd time, AFTER the Fla. Supreme Court interfered with Fla. Election Laws, in contravention to #3 sect 5 of the U.S. Code.

WHY, would the Clear Winner, ever "Back Off?" The only one who needs to "back off" is the little boy who's a Sore Loserman! Who just can't stand the thought, that he simply didn't win! G.W. IMO has not only acted "Presidential," he's also acted with maturity and with great restraint in light of little boy Albore, acting like a spoiled brat. Exactly what else should he do. Concede when he's been the Clear Winner, The Clear Choice of the voters for the Electoral College. The Certified WINNER in all official counts? THAT would be ridiculous......exactly what would you have him do? Just because Albore is a Sore Loser.... G.W. is suppose to concede? Please don't be ridiculous.

The allegation that G.W. should have requested a recount in other Fla. Counties is also about as stupid and ridiculous as anybody can come up with. (Besides the FACT, that the winner doesn't even have a legal right to demand a recount!) WHY would the CERTIFIED WINNER demand a recount? (ggggg) Doesn't make much sense, eh?

J.R.

Posted By: Catherine

Re: US Elections - 12/13/00 04:07 AM

The following quote appeared in the December 9 issue of World magazine, attributed to Howard Fineman, a Newsweek reporter, in answer to a question of how the media would react if "the roles were reversed" and George W. Bush had contested an Al Gore election victory:

"Are you kidding? That George Bush was a crybaby, that he was the spoiled son of a failed president. You know, you could just hear; the personal attacks on Bush would be just absolutely vicious."

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited December 12, 2000).]

Posted By: gypsyklb

Re: US Elections - 12/13/00 04:44 AM

I have been considering this "election" and I feel that G.W. Bush is a man that must meet his destiny-or fulfill his role in history...that the very earth events anticipated are here. Once this issue has been put to rest, we will all come to wish this final page hadn't been turned. We must each examine ourselves throughly so we will remain in line with the Heavenly principles given to us as well as our loved ones.

Re: US Elections - 12/13/00 06:22 AM

At 10PM EST, the United States Supreme Court rendered its decision: the vote recount in Florida is stopped. They have also sent it back to the Florida Supreme Court to work on since there were no standards in place to guide the recounts.

It seems that George W. Bush is the official winner and will become the next president. On Monday the electors meet in their respective state capitals to cast their votes which will make the outcome official. But one has to wonder if Al Gore will continue to play sore loser.

Even the US Supreme Court is evenly split, just as the country has been in this election. It surely seems to be an omen of things to come. There is already talk of changing the constitution. I believe we should be getting ready to hear the dragon's roar.

------------------

Re: US Elections - 12/14/00 06:59 AM

9 PM EST. Al Gore formally conceded the election to George Bush who is now the 43 president elect. I don't know if everyone will breath easy until after Monday when the Electorial College votes.

------------------

Re: US Elections - 12/14/00 04:56 PM

Let's see what the next monkey-wrench will be.

------------------
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Don't let yesterday's mistakes trouble you, nor tomorrow's fears spoil your day.

Pastor Andrew

Posted By: Edward F Sutton

Re: US Elections - 12/14/00 11:38 PM

Merry Christmas J. R. nice to see you back.

I noticed one person on TV commented that America was in danger of setting the precedent of setting aside the rule of law and investing the power in one man or a small group of people to decide how to elect & run the country instead of the constitution.

That may have been the actual plan behind all this smoke screen. I don't know, but it seems like it.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Posted By: gypsyklb

Re: US Elections - 12/15/00 05:47 AM

I highly doubt there will be a monkey wrench, Pastor A. And yes, the country has been smoke screened, but it is all part of God's plan. The children of Israel cryed for a king. They got Saul and now the United States has Bush. A statement was made on the radio that "We, now have a President." To my child, I remarked, "He may be the country's president, but he's not mine."
Jesus Christ is my Leader and my Hero. I'm not a sore loser, I'm a winner. Bush's success will be based on the people he surrounds himself with, but his character is no better than the current leader. The only difference is that Clinton was caught. Eventually his character will shine out.

Re: US Elections - 12/20/00 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by J. R. Layman:
Garry: The FACT is, that G.W. won the election.

GW won the automatic recount [not]

GW was certified as the winner the first time by the Fla. Sect. of State.[a republican, surprise, his campaign manager]

GW was certified as the winner a 2nd time, AFTER the Fla. Supreme Court interfered with Fla. Election Laws, in contravention to #3 sect 5 of the U.S. Code.[not, never certified but once after the shenanigans of the republican mob]

WHY, would the Clear Winner, ever "Back Off?" The only one who needs to "back off" is the little boy who's a Sore Loserman! Who just can't stand the thought, that he simply didn't win! G.W. IMO has not only acted "Presidential," he's also acted with maturity and with great restraint in light of little boy Albore, acting like a spoiled brat. Exactly what else should he do. [ perhaps grow up?]Concede when he's been the Clear Winner, The Clear Choice of the voters for the Electoral College. The Certified WINNER in all official counts? THAT would be ridiculous......exactly what would you have him do? Just because Albore is a Sore Loser.... G.W. is suppose to concede? Please don't be ridiculous. [ why not, I'd be in good company, I am a republican that recognizes a snow job when I see one]

The allegation that G.W. should have requested a recount in other Fla. Counties is also about as stupid and ridiculous as anybody can come up with. (Besides the FACT, that the winner doesn't even have a legal right to demand a recount!) WHY would the CERTIFIED WINNER demand a recount? (ggggg) Doesn't make much sense, eh?
[ neither does GWB]

J.R.

I watched with amazement the way the republican leaders in Fla. and other states stole this election.
As to your coment about a handful of people deciding the winner, what do you think the electoral college is?
A handful of people deciding the election.
That is the only fact that is self evident.
Read your history book, it has happened before.

------------------

Re: US Elections - 12/21/00 01:39 AM

When it comes down to it, how many people actually decide who the GC President will be?

A nominating committee of X number of people actually chooses and recommends and the GC delegates of X number of people out of X million members of the SDA Church elects him.

than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

Daryl

Posted By: rinks

Re: US Elections - 12/24/00 04:04 AM

As an American I can say that this election was stolen by the repub's. If Christ doesn't come too soon, we'll find out that something bigger than Watergate took place here. Funny that the repub's didn't want us to find out that the demonstrators were flown in and paid by them to disrupt the recounts. If I were an investigator, I'd confiscate every machine and punch in Florida. "Sharpen the Bush punch, and dull the Gore punch for my bro" According to some news agencies, they will recount themselves through the freedom of information act. It will only reinforce the illegitimacy of GW. As an American, we have to stand behind him, which is better anyway since we can't stand to look at him.

Leno had one of the best lines yet. He said, " George W attended his first intelligence briefing today, …………funny how some jokes don't even have to be written"

"George Bush Sr had hip replacement last week. Figured he better get it done before his son's health plan kicks in."

"He hurt his hip helping son Jeb carry uncounted ballots into teh Florida woods"

On similarities between Clinton and George W: Clinton has a goofy brother,
George IS the goofy brother

Re: US Elections - 01/28/01 06:32 AM

Here are some interesting stats about the US election in November.
White evangelicals who attend church regularly supported Bush with 84 percent of their votes last November, while GOP candidate Bob Dole received 70 percent of their votes in 1996, according to an Associated Press article in The Washington Times.

In a news conference Jan. 25, lead pollster John Green of the University of Akron said this shift was the most dramatic one in the poll as contrasted with one conducted in 1996, according to the article.

Even more than before, the group of religious bodies voting for a Republican for president consisted of white Protestants and Roman Catholics, plus Mormons, who attend worship weekly, the article reported. The Democratic religious coalition consisted, in order of strength, of black Protestants, Jews and other non-Christians, Hispanic Catholics, Hispanic Protestants, people who describe themselves as totally secular and Catholics who do not attend Mass weekly, according to the article. . . .

The United States has primarily four religious traditions, the survey found, according to the article: White evangelical Protestants, 26 percent of voters in the poll; Roman Catholics, 22 percent; white mainline Protestants, 17 percent; and black Protestants, 10 percent. Secular Americans in the poll totaled 15 percent and gave Gore 20 percent of his votes, according to the article.

The telephone poll was conducted in November of 2,363 adults, with 1,147 saying they voted, the article reported. Green and a team of political scientists from Furman University, Calvin College and Wheaton College conducted the survey, as they did in 1992 and '96, according to the article.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited January 27, 2001).]

Posted By: Wedntgp

Re: US Elections - 01/29/01 12:26 AM

Polls are interesting, but its too bad that the one "poll" that counts, the voters choice was not counted accurately. We can talk about religious groups (where were the Jews and Islams in the poll) and voting trends, but the vote is the true test, and the truth of how people wanted to cast their vote will never be known. It matters not if GWB or Gore would have been the winner, it is obvious the the people of the United States are the losers in this situation.

Re: US Elections - 01/29/01 05:23 PM

An interesting and funny [I think anyway] adon to this is an e-mail that has been running around down here in the states.
The first time I got it was from a relative here in Mi.
The next few times were from Washington state, Arizona and Wisconsin.
It said something like this:

In the 1500's, Nostradamus predicted that at the turn of the millenium, the most powerful nation in the world, would elect as it's leader .... the village idiot.

Only time will tell if it is true or not.

I am a registered republican, and I'm very upset with the way they have behaved in this election.

------------------

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church