Did You Know?

Posted By: Catherine

Did You Know? - 04/15/01 05:28 PM

Did you know…

… That Easter did not originate with Jesus’ resurrection, but was celebrated for many centuries before that time?

… that Pagans celebrated the supposed resurrection of their false Gods many centuries before Christ’s time?

… that Easter gets its name from an ancient fertility goddess?

… that rabbits and eggs have nothing to do with Christ’s resurrection, but are holdovers from ancient spring fertility celebrations?

… that neither the apostles nor the early Christians celebrated Easter?

… the word Easter appears only once in the Bible, and that one time is a mistranslation of the Greek word for the Passover?

… that the Bible mentions God’s people participating in pagan Easter celebrations, and that God calls their participation in this festival an abomination? You can find this in Ezekiel 8:14. This is a description of participation in what is now known as Lent.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: Did You Know? - 04/15/01 10:49 PM

Verse 16 of the same chapter= sun worship in God's house.
Posted By: Catherine

Re: Did You Know? - 04/16/01 05:21 PM

Jeremiah 7:18 also tells about women making cakes for the queen of heaven, which is a reference to what are now called hot cross buns, which are connected with Easter, as they also were back then. We aren't very familiar with hot cross buns here, but they are traditional Easter fare in some parts of the world.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church