The Patience of Job

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

The Patience of Job - 07/23/01 01:42 PM

Here are some thoughts on this subject from 1,001 More Things...About the Bible:

The Letter of James reminds suffering Christians of the "patience of Job," and the phrase is part of our language (James 5:11 KJV). But "patience" in the King James Version doesn't really communicate what James meant, nor what poor Job actually exhibited. In the book of Job, Job clearly loses patience with his friends, who try to "comfort" him by assuring him that he must have brought all his calamities on himself. The quality of Job that James referred to is better translated "perseverance," having the fortitude (and reliance on God) to endure tought times--something that the word patience doesn't really communicate today.

------------------
You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. Psalm 119:65-66 NLT

Posted By: Mogens H. Sorensen

Re: The Patience of Job - 07/23/01 01:49 PM

You are right on, Andrew. I have wondered about that for some time. I have read the book of Job and came to the same conclusion some years ago.

By the way, nice to see you on this forum, Andrew. Winnipeg is a long time ago, almost.

Mogens

Posted By: Andrew Marttinen

Re: The Patience of Job - 07/24/01 12:40 AM

Yes, Mognes, that was several realities ago for me.

Oh, for a more innocent time when we all were younger...

It's good to see you on the web too.

Did you know an individual by the name of James Ho? He went to the SDA school in Singapore and may know you.

© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church