Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum?

Posted By: Daryl

Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 09/30/06 05:20 AM

It seems that MSDAOL has been labeled by at least one person as a super conservative forum.

I really do not like labels like liberal, conservative, or somewhere in between.

I prefer that MSDAOL be labeled as seeking to do the will of God in both word and deed/action. If that's being super conservative, then so be it.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 09/30/06 05:21 AM

As you see, I created a POLL to find out how you all see MSDAOL.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 09/30/06 05:51 AM

That's an interesting observation. Conservative has to do complete with one's frame of reference. I would imagine some consider me to be quite liberal because I hold views which are out of the mainstream. However, I whole-heartedly believe in the Spirit of Prophecy, and often quote the pioneers to make my points, so I consider myself to be conservative.

There are those here who believe Christ was created. Some of these, most probably, also rely heavily on the pioneers to substantiate their view, so they most likely consider themselves to be conservative.

I think everyone here believes in the Bible. For the most part, people who post seem to believe in the Spirit of Prophecy, but there are a few who don't. Those who don't would probably consider themselves to be conservative because they believe in the Bible.

I'm guessing few would label themselves as liberal, although others would.

For example, on the humanity of Christ, I would consider those who hold to the pre-fall view to be liberal, but I don't any of those who hold this view see themselves this way.

It's an interesting question. It seems to me there is a pretty wide range of views presented here. There are views here I've never seen before. Rosangela's views on temptation, Mark's on election, Mike's on several things. I'm sure mine on some issues, as seen by others. Given the wide diversity of opinions expressed here, characterizing the forum as "super-conservative" seems to me to not be very accurate.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 09/30/06 02:12 PM

Very interesting observations in your post.

It's also interesting to see the results of the POLL so far.

It would be interesting to also hear other's thoughts on this POLL Topic.
Posted By: Redfog

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 09/30/06 05:11 PM

It's funny. On the now closed TRO (at least for now) I was accused, in a nice sort of way, of being liberal, and in my church I'm considered somewhat liberal. However among my academy friends who live in the Atlanta Georgia area I'm very conservative. Weather you consider someone or something (like MSDAOL) lib or con it's all from a perspective of what you consider yourself, as Tom pointed out.

I also find many times weather or not a person is considered liberal or conservative it's based on only one or two things: Sabbath observance and/or their view of Mrs. White.

I would never call this forum either super conservative or super liberal. I some respects it might be called somewhat conservative and somewhat liberal. However I agree with Daryl, it's really about a search for the will of the Creator. In other words the search for Truth.

Redfog
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 09/30/06 08:14 PM

It seems to me that most people use the labels "liberal" and "conservative" to distinquish between those SDA members who hold to all 28 fundamental beliefs (con) and those who do not (lib). Perhaps it would be better if we used these definitions rather than labels. If so, then I believe MSDAOL strives to uphold the 28 fundamental SDA beliefs. Whereas it would appear that most forums are not as jealous to do the same. Such cites do not interest me in the least.
Posted By: Johann

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/01/06 03:24 PM

It seems impossible to have a clear definition. I have a tendency to define a Super Conservative as a person who has discovered a certain section in the writings of Ellen White that fits in with his pre-conceived views, and he considers that person a liberal who discovers a more balanced view elsewhere in her writings.

This is based on my childhood upbringing. One of my parents was such a super conservative. The other one read all of the writings of Ellen White and taugsht me to be what I would define as a true conservative.

When my super conservative parent faced death, only repentance and a renewed relationship with the Lord was what assured salvation. Forgiveness was asked of people who had been dealt with in an Unchristian way, and this brought peace and joy and longing to see the face of Jesus at the resurrection. And he died in the middle of a prayer. This is one of the greatest experiences in my life.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/01/06 07:10 PM

The results of the POLL are still very interesting and most revealing as to how MSDAOL appears to those of its own members who have voted so far.
Posted By: Servant

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/17/06 07:37 PM

What are the results of the poll thus far? Unless at least 30 persons have participated, the results cannot be considered statistically significant. How many have voted?
Posted By: Fran

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/17/06 08:41 PM

I voted Maybe because there was no choice for both.

I don't read religious issues on other forums. This forum has both views presented, but not the bickering that goes on at the other forums.

Conservative and Liberal are in the eyes of the reader. I appreciate the presentation of Scripture and Spirit of Prophecy and not hearing opinions of those that have their own made up version of Christianity.

On the other forums, I stay away from religion and politics. Other than that, the other forums are MEAN in my opinion. In fact, one is so mean, it turned me mean. There I now stick with Humor, prayer requests and only check out certain topics.

What is conservative?

What is Liberal?

What is Main Stream.
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/17/06 09:04 PM

17 votes made. Considering that this is more than whom are actively participating in threads. Hmm

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/17/06 10:18 PM

People are able to VOTE without necessarily participating in the discussion itself.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/17/06 10:27 PM

Not only this thread but any thread at all on the forum. Ie the lurkers.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/17/06 10:30 PM

And yes, 17 voted so far with most interesting results!
Posted By: Steve Claborn

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/20/06 10:49 AM

yes its super conservative.... I dare not ask some of the usual questions I have here cause there seems to be little tolerance for questioning "things." That has been my observation...

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/21/06 03:33 AM

There seems to be a little tolerance for questioning things?

Can you give us an example of this?
Posted By: Servant

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/21/06 05:26 PM

On 10/17/06 Frans post in part stated, "the other forums are MEAN in my opinion." I agree. Some are quite vicious.

In other forums I have observed, posters from a different perspective, are often 'torn apart' which leaves the victim poster with only two choices; fight back or back away. The final result is the aggressive poster' opinion prevails.

Another circumstance that may skew the 'liberal versus conservative' perception is the fact many viewers, lurkers and posters are unable to participte due to time constraints, e.g., lack of available time to participate in on-line forums. Thus the postings of a very few number of individuals, albeit by default, sets the 'tone' of the forum.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/22/06 01:57 AM

Well, while people wouldnt be thorn appart here (not anymore and not so obviously anyway), you might still find your post removed to some moderators only archive forum on a whim. Maybe it is more humane to walk over people than to fight them, I dont know, but thats for everyone to decide for themselves..
Posted By: Will

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/22/06 04:58 AM

Steve,
There's a huge difference in asking a question you do not know the answer to vs asking a rhetorcal question just to stir up controversy. Generally on a Seventh-Day Adventist forum you will always have those who like to ask questions that have been asked loads of times, on other forums, have been answered, but enjoy the conflict and confrontation, its there favorite thing to do, its like they gotta ask the same thing over and over again. It has little to do or has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to learn or "become enlightened".
I am aware some aren't too keen on the validity of the Bible, don't need the Bible, the Investigative Judgment, lets see another hot topic is Ellen White, Dress reform, music, is there a real sanctuary in heaven, thatsjust to name a few.
People will justify whatever they need to, and if it means to throw out the Bible they will do so.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/23/06 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Will
Steve,
There's a huge difference in asking a question you do not know the answer to vs asking a rhetorcal question just to stir up controversy. Generally on a Seventh-Day Adventist forum you will always have those who like to ask questions that have been asked loads of times, on other forums, have been answered, but enjoy the conflict and confrontation, its there favorite thing to do, its like they gotta ask the same thing over and over again. It has little to do or has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to learn or "become enlightened".
I am aware some aren't too keen on the validity of the Bible, don't need the Bible, the Investigative Judgment, lets see another hot topic is Ellen White, Dress reform, music, is there a real sanctuary in heaven, thatsjust to name a few.
People will justify whatever they need to, and if it means to throw out the Bible they will do so.
God Bless,
Will

isnt the purpose of a forum to discuss? Do we think that we have arrived at the point that the beliefs we hold are beyond exploration and discussion?

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/23/06 06:48 AM

The purpose of forum can be whatever is deemed by the owner, and this is based on rules. Lots of different flavorsof forums out there, I have tried all of them that I know of, and find this one to be the most stable.
No disrespect to BSDA, in fact I poke my head in there every now and then, and like to have a chat with a few people there.
We have a forum to discuss things, actually several forums to discuss things.
It depends on what's on someone's mind really. Does that make sense?
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/23/06 09:25 AM

So what would be the purpose of MSDAOL? Ive always thought that it was to discuss, but maybe Ive been naïve?

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/23/06 10:35 AM

The purpose of forum can be whatever is deemed by the owner, and this is based on rules. Lots of different flavorsof forums out there, I have tried all of them that I know of, and find this one to be the most stable.
No disrespect to BSDA, in fact I poke my head in there every now and then, and like to have a chat with a few people there.
We have a forum to discuss things, actually several forums to discuss things.
It depends on what's on someone's mind really. Does that make sense?
God Bless,
Will

what do you mean when you say stable? by your comments am I to assume that you have found bsda unstable? just curious...

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 12:13 AM

Not necesarrily, but I can't say with complete confidence that it is conducive to resulting in a unanimous agreement by involved parties of that discussion. This is my opinion, and is something I notice on several forums, which is why I am not active on them anymore.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 12:21 AM

People arrive at unanimous agreement on this forum? Rather one or two wears everyone else out after a few months of daily posting.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 01:59 AM

Thomas,
I can tell you right now that it the topics here don't go into bashing the church. I can care less about who's pushing a pencil behind the general conference or whatever structure, but when people start to doubt "Is the Bible the word of God", or "Can we keep the sabbath Holy".
When the real question is "I can careless about all of this, so I want to rant about it, please indulge me abit in my angst".

And of course you will have some real eye openers where people think God will not destroy the wicked, deny that Christ came to take away our sins, and destroy the works of the devil,or even more fun that you can be sinless and claim it, how's that for "educated"

God Bless,
Will

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 02:32 AM

I think it is good to have a healthy exploration and discussion of our beliefs.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 02:38 AM

As long as we stay within the forum rules of MSDAOL, discussion on almost every type of topic is acceptable.

It isn't on what is discussed, but how it is discussed that concerns me most.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 02:43 AM

You hit it on the head Daryl. My head is affected as I am sick so its hard\very difficult to put into words the best way to say things.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 02:55 AM

You better take it easy then.

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 09:01 AM

Thomas,
I can tell you right now that it the topics here don't go into bashing the church. I can care less about who's pushing a pencil behind the general conference or whatever structure, but when people start to doubt "Is the Bible the word of God", or "Can we keep the sabbath Holy".
When the real question is "I can careless about all of this, so I want to rant about it, please indulge me abit in my angst".

And of course you will have some real eye openers where people think God will not destroy the wicked, deny that Christ came to take away our sins, and destroy the works of the devil,or even more fun that you can be sinless and claim it, how's that for "educated"

God Bless,
Will
What if the questions where rather; how could the church be a better place? What does it mean that the bible is "the word of God"? How should we keep the sabbath, should we celebrate it like the jews does or should we have a solemn church hour like the sundaykeeper do?
People who rant about something they dont care about usually get bored and move on pretty fast. If someone is persistent, you can know that they care about the subject in one way or anohter.
God destroying or not destroying the wicked, the longest discussion I ever saw on that was at this very forum. And the last subjects aswell. Funny when you think about it, isnt it?

/Thomas

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/24/06 05:21 PM

Yes, people usually have their own "pet" doctrinal beliefs, which they pursue with others, which again, there is nothing wrong with that, as long as it is done in a right attitude.

When things are done in a disrespectful manner, that's where I get concerned.
Posted By: Redfog

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 10/25/06 02:12 AM

We do not have to always agree with each other, however we should always show respect to each other, and for the most part people do show repect and love, however there has always been the few bad apples....

Redfog
Posted By: Kevin H

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 08/22/07 11:19 AM

We seem to cover the spread from conservative to liberal with those between, however we tend to be very Wesleyian in our apporach to Adventism, and the conservatives and liberals and those between seem to mostly come from a Wesleyian perspective. those who may approach Adventism from a more Baptist, Lutheran (both conservative and neo-Lutheran)or Presbyterian etc. perspectives may notice our overly-mehodist perspective and not sure what else to lable it picked the term "conservative."

Re: Is MSDAOL A Super Conservative Forum? - 12/21/07 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Servant
What are the results of the poll thus far? Unless at least 30 persons have participated, the results cannot be considered statistically significant. How many have voted?

We have 20 who have voted so far, therefore, I would like to revive this POLL and TOPIC and see if we can come up with another 10 to 20 more votes or more.
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church