Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)?

Posted By: Daryl

Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 05/27/03 10:15 PM

Whereas this forum's focus is on evidence as it relates to the Bible, and whereas it seems to be that at least one person here is questioning the authorship of the Bible, (Correct me, if I am wrong in my assumption.), I felt it necessary to create this topic here for a discussion on this important question.

Darius posted the following that has caused me to wonder how he looks at the Bible, whether the Bible is inspired, whether God is the author of the Bible, etc.:

Quote:
Christians spoiled it all with their insistence that the Bible is God's manual for life or that He commissioned it. Thinking people can note the misinformation that is in the Bible and that stance by Christians raised serious doubts about their religion.
Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)?

What does the Bible say about who It's author is?

Any insight from the SOP is also welcome and relevant here.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 05/27/03 10:24 PM

Seeing that the Bible is also referred to as the Word of God, and in response to Darius' question in the other topic, what existed first, the Word or nature?

When did the Word begin, and when did nature begin?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 05/28/03 12:29 AM

This is what the Bible says:

quote:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Why is the term the Word used here?

In other words, why does God refer to Himself as the Word?

Better yet, from this quote:

quote:

Matthew 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

What Scriptures is Christ referring to here?

Is He not referring to what we know today as the Old Testament portion of the Bible?
Posted By: Gregory

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 05/28/03 02:16 AM

Daryl:

The useage of "Word" in the Hebrew culture goes back to Genesis and the creation story. There, "God spoke" and the power of that spoken word (of God) set into operation the Universe, and the creation of all life. In that context, the "Word" was of supreme power. The Hebrew people equated "Word" with the supreme power of God.

John begins his Gospel with that Creation story of God simply spekaing the world into existance. He then ties the power of that Word to God. John 1: 10--that Word is that which created. Then in vs. 14 John equates that Word with Jesus, the Christ, who exists in human flesh in their midst.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 05/28/03 04:44 PM

Yes, the spoken Word existed from the beginning, from the foundation of the world, even before the creation of this world within which the laws of nature were also created.

This is why I refer to this created nature as God's second unwritten book, as His spoken Word is the first unwritten book that eventually became a written book.

The written version of His spoken Word became necessary on account of the devolution of man as a result of man's fallen condition after the entrance of sin into this world, particularly after the Flood in which man soon lost much of his ability of total recall, his greatly decreased lifespan, etc.
Posted By: Darius

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 05/29/03 06:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
Yes, the spoken Word existed from the beginning, from the foundation of the world, even before the creation of this world within which the laws of nature were also created.

This is why I refer to this created nature as God's second unwritten book, as His spoken Word is the first unwritten book that eventually became a written book.

It is widely believed but there is not basis for the belief that the Bible is the written version of Jesus Christ. A written version of Jesus Christ was never necessary because the living Word is eternal. Books are a human requirement and though God will adapt to our inadequacies He prefers to speak to our hearts directly. Of course, the church would much prefer to deemphasize the direct link between man and his God for it gives it control over what men hear from God.

Protestants are no different from the Roman Catholic in coming between God and man.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 05/28/03 10:16 PM

Darius,

I am trying to figure out what you are saying and where you are coming from in all your posts that seems to be reducing the Bible to a book like any other book, rather than the God inspired Bible book I understand it to be.

I understand the Bible to consist of both the Old Testament Scriptures and the New Testament Scriptures.

What did Christ say about the Bible?

quote:

Matthew 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Matthew 22:29
Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Matthew 26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

Matthew 26:56
But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

Mark 12:10 And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which the builders rejected is become the head of the corner:

Mark 14:49 I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.

Mark 15:28
And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors

Luke 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

And here is the quote that settles it for me in relation to the Old Testament portion of the Bible:

quote:

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

In light of the above quote, what more do we need to quote?

It is very clear to me that Christ, the Son of God, pointed to the Scriptures throughout His ministry on this Earth.

quote:

John 2:22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

They believed the Scripture, and "the word which Jesus had said."

If they believed the Scriptures, then I also believe the Scriptures as God's inspired written Word for us as it was for them.

In fact, we are even told in John 5:39 to "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

And it also says in John 10:35 "If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

The Scripture can NOT be broken.

Here is an important quote that covers all the Holy Scriptures of God, both the Old Testament and the New Testament Xcriptures:

quote:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

It says that ALL the Scriptures are inspired by God. In other words, the Holy Bible, containing both the Old Testament and New Testament Scriptures are ALL inspired by God.

And here is what I would refer to as the clincher:

quote:
2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

This shows that the Bible was not written according to the will of man but as they were moved or inspired by the Holy Spirit.

In light of this evidence, how dare we reduce God's Holy Word to the level of any other written book.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 05/28/03 10:49 PM

This is only to let you all know that I edited the above post of mine a few times since I originally posted it here.
Posted By: Davros

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 04/05/05 06:39 AM

I recently read an artical that claimed 1 Timothy, Titus, and a portion of 1 Corinthians were forged after Paul's death, and theirfore, not autherd by God guiding Paul. This would seem to be an alarming statment. Does anyone have any info on this teaching or even think it has merit?
Posted By: Will

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 04/25/05 08:34 PM

Where did you read this Dave? Also wouldn't the available manuscripts be able to confirm that it is not a forgery?
GodBless,
WIll

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 04/25/05 09:23 PM

It was on a unofficial Adventist pro women's ordonation site.

The problem with the manuscripts is that we do not have the orrigonals of the NT. The jews have very carfuly kept the OT, but have little interest in the NT, so it has been lost. All we have are scribes writings of them now, so determining their origonal date would be difficult.

Fortunatly, I contacted the GC about this topic and was told that it is not the view officaly held by the church. The rest of the content then went on to say how what the Bible says is not always what it means, but at least we believe that they were not forged.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 04/26/05 12:09 AM

Hi Dave,
You mentioned as part of your communication with the GC the following:
quote:

The rest of the content then went on to say how what the Bible says is not always what it means

2 things come to mind here:
1. Is this meaning that Light is progressive?
2. Do we allow someone else to tell us how to interpret the Bible when it should be line upon line etc.
What are your thoughts on this as I find it rather interesting.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 04/26/05 12:44 AM

The impression I got from my corrospondence was that truth is progressive - at least in their eyes.

Although new light may make itself evedant from time to time, it is never in contradiction to previus truth. In other words, truth does not change.

Any teaching to the contrary is in contradiction the Bible itself.
Posted By: myarsman

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 04/27/05 04:38 AM

The Bible, as we know it, is nothing more than a historical record created by man, which contains a record of God's interaction with mankind.

If anyone claims that the "entire" Bible was created through "direct inspiration" from God, then I must remind them of how the Biblical canon, as we now have it, came into being.

Question: Who decided what books would be included/excluded in the Biblical canon?

Answer: Man

There is no Biblical reference indicating that the Bible is the "Word of God". The Bible does clearly state that Jesus IS the "Word of God" made flesh.

To "know the Word" is to "know" Jesus. (I do not mean to "know about Jesus" either.)

If you "know the Word" then you will recognize "The Word" when He speaks to you.

"I am the Good Shepherd and My sheep know My voice ...."

Truth is not progressive. It is constant.

But......

Our understanding of truth "is" progressive.

Any individual who claims that they understanding all Truth, is sorely misled.

The Bible does not contain all Truth.

The only way to gain an understanding of Truth is to rely solely upon the "Source of All Truth" who gives understanding to all mankind as He deems neccessary. Again, the only way to understand Truth is to know the "Word of God".....Jesus

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 04/27/05 04:42 AM

THat is a direct contradiction to the Adventist beliefe.

If something was true and God inspierd, it will not become untrue!

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 09/14/06 05:14 PM

Quote:

THat is a direct contradiction to the Adventist beliefe.

If something was true and God inspierd, it will not become untrue!

I don't understand your reasoning. Are you suggesting that Adventist belief is the test of truth? How do you handle Adventist beliefs that have changed over time? Which one would be the test of truth.

Second, are you suggesting that inspiration cancels human fallibility?
Posted By: John Boskovic

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 09/15/06 03:10 PM

Quote:

The only way to gain an understanding of Truth is to rely solely upon the "Source of All Truth" who gives understanding to all mankind as He deems neccessary. Again, the only way to understand Truth is to know the "Word of God".....Jesus

Amen
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? *DELETED* - 10/04/06 03:24 PM

Post deleted by Daryl Fawcett

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/04/06 04:43 PM

Why are so many intent on disregarding the obvious? It is as obvious as the nose on my face that the Creator did not write the Bible nor did He ask anyone to do so. Trying to make Him the author when He is not does not say much for what we think of Him. False representation will always be false representation and you do not try to falsely represent someone you love and care for.

Then after we have falsely concluded that the Creator wrote a book He did not write we make it imperative that individuals try to find out the truth about what the Bible says under the assumption that what the Bible says is what the Creator wants. As a result we blur the lines between what the Creator stands for and what the men who wrote the Bible thought He stands for. The result is confusion, aka Babylon.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/04/06 07:20 PM

How do you think God communicates with us, Darius?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/04/06 07:46 PM

He does through our senses. Everytime you interact with the world you are getting messages from the one who created it.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/04/06 09:23 PM

Does God speak to us through His Spirit? That is, supernaturally?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/05/06 04:10 PM

Quote:

It is as obvious as the nose on my face that the Creator did not write the Bible nor did He ask anyone to do so.

The Creator obviously didn't write the Bible Himself, however, the Creator DID INSPIRE the various authors of the Bible to write what they have written through thought inspiration.

You said in a later post that the Creator communicated with us through their senses. Can you expand on this and also answer Tom's question?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 06:02 PM

If God spoke to you supernaturally you would not know it because you are only able to perceive through your senses. There is only one way to get to you. Thought inspiration is something we made up to try to make our beliefs make sense but it defies all logic. Inspiration is nothing special; it is the way that all knowledge is know to all men. The text that says all scripture is given by inspiration has been over-interpreted. The text does not say that ONLY scripture is given by inspiration, even though that is what theologians would want us to believe. I'll tell you why, though. Theologians have suggested that everything that is based on sensory data can be questioned but whatever comes through revelation cannot be. It's a set up. There is no such distinction to be made. All knowledge comes through the senses. Without your senses you would not know anything. And the knowledge you get through your senses can be questioned because we don't always correctly grasp what we sense. Theologians want us to believe that those who hear from God don't make mistakes, even though there is lots of evidence against that view. We have told those lies so often that we have begun to assume they are true. Now, we are too scared to back away.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 06:09 PM

How do you know that God speaks to us through our senses?

Did God give you a special revelation about this through your senses?
If so through which one of your senses did God give you such special revelation? I assume it wasn't through your sense of smell.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 07:21 PM

Quote:

If God spoke to you supernaturally you would not know it because you are only able to perceive through your senses.

This sounds like your answer to my question is "no." That is, you do not believe that God speaks to men supernaturally through His Spirit. That God only communicates to us through nature would seem to be the logical counterpoint to this. So let me ask that as a follow up question. Do you believe God only speaks to us through nature? (or though other human beings to whom God spoke through nature; God's speaking through nature would be the beginning of any communication from God is the point I'm getting at).

Just to be clear, by "speaking through nature" I mean that we perceive things about God through our senses by observation His creation.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 08:09 PM

Quote:

If so through which one of your senses did God give you such special revelation? I assume it wasn't through your sense of smell.

Daryl, you amaze me. Did you question EGW's recommendation that we guard well the avenues to the soul because this is how God communicates with us? I am assuming that you are acquainted with the statement.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 08:11 PM

Tom, where do you think the concept of the supernatural comes from? Did God tell you that it is a concept of any value? Did you even find it in the Bible?

Let me put it to you this way. Everything is natural. There is no such thing as the supernatural. God is as natural as His creation.

If you claim that God had you over for coffee and spoke to you directly I have no quarrels with that. I would only hope that you were able to verify that it was God.

I think you should consider why God chose to reveal Himself to us by coming as a man.

Darius

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 08:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Daryl, you amaze me. Did you question EGW's recommendation that we guard well the avenues to the soul because this is how God communicates with us? I am assuming that you are acquainted with the statement.

Yes, I am well aware of that EGW statement. The avenue to the soul is our mind, where God communicates with us, as He did to the authors of the Bible.

This week's Sabbath School study is on the veracity of the Bible. Here is a quote from that study:

Quote:

Of course, the enemy of souls works hard to turn the world away from the true God. One of his methods is to put doubt in our minds regarding the veracity of the Bible. Genesis itself comes under fierce attack. If he can undermine our faith in it, which is so foundational, how easy for him to undermine our faith in everything else.

Darius, it is obvious to me that you are being inspired to post what you post by the enemy of souls, therefore, your time at MSDAOL has just about come to an end as far as posting here goes.

Again, from this week's study comes another quote:

Quote:

Are we going to listen to the critics who come up with all sorts of "evidence" to question the historical veracity of Genesis, or do we follow the lead of those like Jesus and Paul and Peter, who showed unquestioned faith in the book? Indeed, to question the veracity of Genesis means to question the veracity of the New Testament, which time and again refers to Genesis. How reliable could the New Testament be if it were all wrong about Genesis? As we can see, once we start questioning the historical veracity of the Genesis account, the whole edifice of faith crumbles. Which, of course, is exactly what Satan wants.

Again, Darius, whether intentional or not, you are playing into the hands of the devil.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 08:59 PM

Daryl, since you take your direction from the writers of the SS Quarterly I would consider it close to an honor for it to be your judgement that my ideas don't fit with yours.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 09:14 PM

I edited my previous post, therefore, you may wish to read it again.

Your ideas don't fit more than me, for they also do not fit the Son of God either as well as Peter, Paul, Stephen, and others.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 09:48 PM

Quote:

Again, Darius, whether intentional or not, you are playing into the hands of the devil.

And you say that on the strength of an opinion from the SS Quarterly editors? Give me a break. They put that in there to scare people into toeing the party line. They know their position cannot withstand scrutiny. The only leverage they have is the ability to send people to hell. Sorry, it does not work on me. I got to know the Creator himself so I am not scared of any of the popular human caricatures of Him.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 10:23 PM

Darius,

It isn't the editors of the SS Quarterly I am referring to, it is the Son of God, Peter, Paul, and Stephen that I am listening to.

As far as knowing the Creator goes, Christ is the Creator, therefore, if anybody knows about the veracity of Genesis and the rest of the Bible, He knows, and it is Him that I am listening to.

You are obviously not listening to the Creator as you claim to be.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 10:32 PM

Daryl it is the editors of the SSQ who claim that to question the veracity of the Genesis account is to play into the devil's hands. I don't like to correct people on these kinds of facts. It can get a bit messy.

Now, show me where you got Jesus's views on Genesis.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 11:14 PM

How about John 5:39 for starters, quoted below:

Quote:

John 5:39 KJV
Search the Scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Christ told us in the above verse to search the Scriptures, which, of course, refers to the Old Testament, which includes Genesis.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/06/06 11:22 PM

Daryl, that quote says nothing about the issues we are discussing. I completely agree with what it says. I also suspect that you missed the sarcasm in Jesus' comment. He was actually berating the Jews for thinking that they were better off because they had the Scriptures. "In them ye THINK ye have eternal life." He wanted them to understand that the only value of their Scriptures was that they testified of Him. You seem to have the same problem having put your confidence in the Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/07/06 12:16 AM

It says a great deal about the issues we are discussing.

Christ also saying in that text, "and they are they which testify of me." is affirmation of the Old Testament Scriptures, as Christ said that the Scriptures testify of Him. Genesis is included in this, as Genesis is a part of the Old Testament Scriptures.

You asked for Christ's view. Christ affirmed the Scriptures to the point of saying they testify of Him. Christ wouldn't have said that, if He had thought otherwise of the Scriptures.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/07/06 12:23 AM

Let's go on to another text, a few verses down from the first one, namely John 5:46 and 47 which says:

Quote:

Johh 5:46 KJV For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Here Christ affirms the inspired writings of Moses, which included Genesis, particularly Genesis 3:15.

Christ even went so far to say that if you don't believe Moses' writings, then how can you believe His words.

Darius, if you can't believe Moses' writings, which includes Genesis, then how can you believe the Creator's own words, the Creator being Christ?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/07/06 12:26 AM

Daryl, I think you are mistaking me for someone else. You seem to think I believe stuff I don't believe.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/07/06 12:32 AM

Darius,

I call it as I see it, and you asked me to show you Christ's view of Genesis, which I am doing, as the way He views the Scriptures is the way He views Genesis, as Genesis is included in the then existing Scriptures.

You said the Creator speaks through your senses.

I say the Creator speaks to us through the inspired Scriptures, and Christ, as the Creator, tells me that, in the verses I have shared with you so far in response to your request.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/07/06 01:09 AM

Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/07/06 07:18 AM

Daryl, the reason I'm asking you the questions I am is because I am curious to see if you think that God is able to communicate with us supernaturally. From your latest response to me it appears that you actually do think God can and does communicate with us supernaturally, but you have a different interpretation for "supernatual" than others do. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

If God communicates to us through His Spirit, this would be supernatural, according to the ordinary dictionary defintion of the word. It is His taking the volition as a personal being to communicate with us through language, our language, as opposed to our simply perceiving something about Him by the study of nature. Do you agree that God communicates to us by these means (through our language)?

As to why God became a human being, that was clearly so that we could better understand what He is truly like. To understand a person involves more than what a person says, but what He does, and seeing what God would do if He were a person is certainly the clearest way He could reveal Himself to us. That doesn't mean He couldn't communicate with us through other means, however; just that becoming a human being was the clearest revelation of all.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/07/06 10:09 PM

Tom, if I came to you as what I am not then that does not help you to get to know me better. It may help me to get to know you better if I come to you as what you are but it would not help you to get to know me better. So, your suggestion that God came as man so we could get to know Him better fails as a viable response.

To suggest that God is supernatural ignores that fact that we were made in His image. God is as natural as everything else. We made up that word and it makes no rational sense. Insisting on its use only serves to darken our understanding of our Creator.

Here is my question for you. What message do you think the Creator would want to give you that would require this communication you are describing? Is it that the intelligence He created us with is not sufficient even in the face of much counsel?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/07/06 10:57 PM

Darius,

Have you ever had a dream from God?

Well, Nebuchadnezzar had a dream straight from God, and, in response to Daniel's prayer, gave the same dream to Daniel.

This was obviously God communicating to both Nebuchadnezzar and Daniel through a dream, which God obviously implanted into their minds. Nebuchadnezzar forgot the details of the dream, whereas Daniel didn't.

This is one example of God communicating to man through man's mind.

I am reminded of Joel 2:28 which says, "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:"

As far as our senses goes, God does communicate to us through some of our senses, such as our sense of sight, as we use our eyes to read His Holy Word, and through our sense of hearing, as He uses our ears to hear the Word of God.

God isn't limited to how He communicates with us, therefore, if God wanted to communicate the Scriptures, which He wanted to do and He did do, then He can do it through His people, which He did through Moses and the other writers of the Scriptures, both Old Testament and New Testament.

EGW is our latest example on how God communicated to her from which we have her writings.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 12:12 AM

Daryl, I don't get what point you are trying to make. On whose behalf are you campaigning? If God gave you a message then follow it. I know that He won't give you any messages for me. He and I are on speaking terms and He knows my snail mail address and my E-mail addres. I don't get the point.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 12:13 AM

That was me above.

Now, please tell me how you read the Bible without using your senses.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 12:20 AM

You are right in that God gave me a message, which came to me through the Scriptures.

And yes, you are right again, as He also knows my snail mail and email addresses, however, that isn't how He communicates to us, although He has the power to do so, if He so chooses.

And yes again, you are also correct in that you don't get the point, which is why it is practically pointless to communicate with you any further on this topic.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 12:27 AM

Quote:

Now, please tell me how you read the Bible without using your senses.

I missed this until after I posted.

Yes, you are correct I do receive messages from God through the reading of the Bible using my sense of sight.

I can even sniff my Bible and smell it.

I can also hear myself turning the pages of the Bible, which uses both my sense of touch and sense of hearing.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 01:28 AM

You still cannot prove that God wrote the Bible. Everyone knows that men compiled the Bible. The point is that the Bible is not the only place were we can find messages that men received through inspiration. In fact, all knowledge men have received is through inspiration. This attempt to place a division in the knowledge the Creator has given to his children has had disastrous consequences. All knowledge is the same because all knowledge comes from above. A difference in purpose does not imply a difference in quality.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 02:14 AM

I didn't say that God wrote the Bible all by Himself.

God inspired men to write the Bible for Him, making God the Ultimate Author of the Bible.

God could have written it Himself, however, He chose to inspire men to write the Bible for Him.

That's how God works, as He chooses to work through fallen mankind to proclaim His message of love, redemption, justice, mercy, etc. through the inspired Word, the Bible.
Posted By: Steve Claborn

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 04:13 AM

Quote:

How about John 5:39 for starters, quoted below:

Quote:

John 5:39 KJV
Search the Scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Christ told us in the above verse to search the Scriptures, which, of course, refers to the Old Testament, which includes Genesis.

you used the KJV which is not the correct rendering of that passage.... the passage should read, You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life. And they are the ones witnessing of Me, (40) and you will not come to Me that you might have life.

Jesus was telling them that they had searched and were searching/studying the scripture but that the scriptures testified of him....

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 10:40 AM

Darius, it seems to me that you are just pursuing a play on words (regarding "natural" and "supernatural") I'm asking you about what you think of God's intent and how He communicates with us. Do you think God communicates with us other than by our perceiving things about Him in nature? If so, how?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 05:28 PM

Tom, if the Creator has a need to communicate with me on a specific matter then He has a million means at His disposal. The fact is that I have no way of being certain that He is the one speaking to me, so what does it matter what I believe? It is not as if He has some dedicated line on which He speaks. I really don't get what you guys are trying to establish here.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 05:32 PM

Quote:

I didn't say that God wrote the Bible all by Himself.

God inspired men to write the Bible for Him, making God the Ultimate Author of the Bible.

God could have written it Himself, however, He chose to inspire men to write the Bible for Him.

That's how God works, as He chooses to work through fallen mankind to proclaim His message of love, redemption, justice, mercy, etc. through the inspired Word, the Bible.

Who do you think inspired other men to write what they have written. You speak about how God works as if you have a document from Him with that information. This tendency men have to make claims about God as if they have inside information comes very close to blasphemy. If God did not tell you this is how He works you are presuming upon His position to make that claim.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 11:09 PM

Quote:

Tom, if the Creator has a need to communicate with me on a specific matter then He has a million means at His disposal. The fact is that I have no way of being certain that He is the one speaking to me, so what does it matter what I believe? It is not as if He has some dedicated line on which He speaks. I really don't get what you guys are trying to establish here.

I'm trying to establish whether you think God communicates to us in some other ways than through nature. I find your assertion that if God chose to communicate with you that there is no way you could be certain it was He to be amazing. To think that God could create the world in seven days but cannot communicate with Darius in such a way that Darius knows it is He is hard to fathom.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/08/06 11:34 PM

No need to be smug. I want you to tell me what God could do that would leave me with no doubt that He was the One speaking to me. I am all ears.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/09/06 03:51 AM

What did I write which struck you as smug? That's an odd reaction.

I find it odd that you think God is incapable of communicating with you in such a way that you know that it is He who is speaking to you. Why don't you explain to me why you think that it not possible?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/09/06 04:51 AM

The fault is not his but mine. If He came with a name sign how would I know it was Him. Why don't you tell us how you would know.
Posted By: the1888message

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/14/06 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Darius

God does have a dedicated line; I am surprised that you have not heard about it, it is called the Bible.

It is our direct line of communication to the Almighty God, to us that believe anyway. It shows us what Gods will is for us and it is full of His promises to us. God is as good as His Word and His word cannot fail.

Daruis, you like to play with words and twist a lot of things and get side issues going and you very rarely really answer, truly answer questions that are put to you. Instead you sided step them, this I will say that you are very good at, side stepping the issues.

Does God still speak to us humans today? YES, I say, through His written Word, by the Holy Spirit He speaks and impresses yes, through inspired writers old and new. Through nature he shows us His awesome power and presence. In the birth of a new born and even in death God shows use His love and power. He touches our hearts and mind in these ways and many more.

If a question is put to you, why not simply answer the question Daruis? This is one question that you can answer to yourself. So you are off the hook.

Peace and Grace

David

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/17/06 09:30 PM

God's dedicated line is NOT the bible... it is prayer.... some people are uncomfortable with the idea that God speaks to us, communicates with us via prayer, but I am not one of them....

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/17/06 10:14 PM

I agree to a degree.

We speak to God through our prayers, but how does God speak to us?
Posted By: vastergotland

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/17/06 10:25 PM

Sometimes prayer is a twoway communication. That is something which we could learn, if not by experience, then by studying the book of Daniel.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/18/06 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
I agree to a degree.

We speak to God through our prayers, but how does God speak to us?

God speaks to me through prayer... prayer is talking with God... that has been my experience....

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/18/06 11:33 PM

Well then, how does God speak to you through prayer?

Does He speak to you directly, or through the inspired words of the Bible?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/19/06 12:28 AM

Both?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/19/06 12:47 AM

The Creator speaks to me through nature. That is how I get to understand His nature and character.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/19/06 03:32 AM

I can see how God's nature and character could have been seen in pre-fall nature, but not in post-fall nature, especially after the Great Flood in which only those in the ark that Noah built survived.

Also, nature can't speak to me and speak of prophetic events like the Bible can and does.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/19/06 05:08 PM

Daryl, please point me to the source you have that is not post-fall in nature.

You may not have noticed but no one is able to interpret prophecy until after the prophecy has been fulfilled. The only use prophecy has to to prevent us from becoming delusional because we have been forwarned that things will happen. There is no one on earth who knows the future, regardless of how much prophecy they have studied.

Finally, there is something strange in the way you keep referring to the Bible as if it is a human being. The Bible does not say anything. The men who wrote the Bible are the ones speaking, and in there you find a lot of awful stuff done in the name of the Creator that certainly does not reflect Him.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/20/06 12:58 AM

Darius,

I am not going to repeat here what was already covered in another topic, however, I will say that I am surprised that you, with your education, limit God in what He can do, and has done, through inspiring those people to write what they wrote in what we refer to today as the Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 02:31 PM

Daryl, how much of what the Bible writers attribute to God do you accept as true?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 06:18 PM

I will let a couple of those Bible writers answer your question:

Quote:

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Luke 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the Scriptures?

This was in reference to Christ as the one who, beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself. The response of His listeners was also interesting and relevant.

They accepted the truth of the Scriptures, therefore, Darius, why can't you?

Here is another Bible answer to your question:

Quote:

2Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

It says that "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God..."

Does God inspire truth or error? Obviously the answer is truth, otherwise, the Scriptures wouldn't be "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 06:39 PM

I think we have some misscommunication here. Maybe this quote would be more towards what Darius was thinking about.

1Sa 15:2 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way when he came vp from Egypt.
1Sa 15:3 Now goe, and smite Amalek, and vtterly destroy all that they haue, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, oxe and sheepe, camell and asse.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 06:47 PM

1Sa 15:3 Nowe therfore go, and smyte Amalek, and destroye ye all that pertaineth vnto them, and haue no compassion on them, slay both man & woman, infant and suckling, oxe and sheepe, camel and asse.

Mar 6:34 And Iesus went out, and sawe much people, and had compassion on them, because they were lyke sheepe, not hauyng a sheepheard: And he began to teache them many thynges.

Why is this difference?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 06:47 PM

Well, Thomas, if that was what Darius was thinking about, then he should have quoted it himself, however, in response to your post, doesn't that Scripture text say, "Thus saith the Lord of hosts"???

In relation to all of the Bible texts I quoted in my previous post, we can't pick and choose what was inspired or what wasn't inspired, especially when 2 Tim. 3:16 stated that "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God....." It said All, not Part.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 06:51 PM

Where are you aiming Daryl?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 08:18 PM

What do you mean by where am I aiming?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 09:01 PM

Specifically in relation to this

"In relation to all of the Bible texts I quoted in my previous post, we can't pick and choose what was inspired or what wasn't inspired, especially when 2 Tim. 3:16 stated that "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God....." It said All, not Part."

Are you placing these texts from the book of Samuel against the ones you quoted previously or are you accusing me of doing so?

And as for my post 80301, do you have anything to say about that one?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 09:49 PM

What I am aiming at is showing that all the Scriptures are the inspired Word of God, with a "Thus saith the Lord" as evidence of that, no matter what the "Thus saith the Lord" seems to be saying.

This is what this topic is all about, isn't it, showing that God is ultimately the driving force behind the writing and the continued existence of the Scriptures from Moses onward?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 09:52 PM

And here I thought we where exploring Darius subsubject. How silly of me..

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/24/06 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: västergötland
1Sa 15:3 Nowe therfore go, and smyte Amalek, and destroye ye all that pertaineth vnto them, and haue no compassion on them, slay both man & woman, infant and suckling, oxe and sheepe, camel and asse.

Mar 6:34 And Iesus went out, and sawe much people, and had compassion on them, because they were lyke sheepe, not hauyng a sheepheard: And he began to teache them many thynges.

Why is this difference?

What will it be like when Christ comes?

The righteous will be resurrected, the living will be translated, and the wicked will be slain by the brightness of His coming. And after the 1000 years, the wicked will be burned along with the devil and the other fallen angels. I could ask the same thing about these sevents in which all the wicked are slain, not only once at the second coming, but once again forever at the end of the 1000 years.

Christ came the first time to save, not to condemn, however, Christ comes the second time bringing with Him the rewards for the righteous, eternal life, and for the wicked, the second death.

Christ came as a compassionate and merciful Saviour the first time.

Christ will come as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, as the Righteous Judge the second time.

The death of the wicked is what is referred to as Christ's strange act.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/25/06 12:31 AM

How does this explanation of what will happen at the very end compare with what happened in the early/middle history of Israel?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/25/06 02:05 AM

I guess it is all about God's justice as well as His compassion and mercy.

In the case of Sodom & Gomorrah we saw both the compassion and the judgment of God in his communication with Abraham.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 10/25/06 02:06 AM

The Scriptures show both the mercy and judgment of God as shown by what God did to Sodom & Gomorrah, but not before his talk with Abraham.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/21/07 11:45 PM

Here is an interesting link that will be of great assistance in this topic:

http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/rev-egw.html

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/22/07 05:08 AM

Here's a statement about the destruction of the cities of the plain (of which Sodom and Gomorrah were a part):

Quote:
How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together. (Hosea 11:8)

Here's a couple of Scripture texts which show that God's justice (or judgment in the KJV) is manifest in mercy:

Quote:
And therefore will the LORD wait, that he may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the LORD is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for him. (Isa. 30:18)

Quote:
Thus says the LORD of hosts:
Execute true justice,
Show mercy and compassion
Everyone to his brother. (Zech 7:9)

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/22/07 05:21 AM

Tom,

How does what you posted relate to this particular topic?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/22/07 07:49 AM

I was responding to posts #80316 and #80317.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/22/07 07:16 PM

Then, I guess we, myself included, need to get back on topic.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/22/07 07:23 PM

Getting back on topic, here is a link to what EGW has to say about how God speaks to us:

http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/rev-egw.html

The third paragraph in that link spoke directly to this topic:

Quote:

The Bible points to God as its author; yet it was written by human hands; and in the varied style of its different books it presents the characteristics of the several writers. The truths revealed are all "given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16); yet they are expressed in the words of men. The Infinite One by His Holy Spirit has shed light into the minds and hearts of His servants. He has given dreams and visions, symbols and figures; and those to whom the truth was thus revealed have themselves embodied the thought in human language.

EGW in the above quote started that paragraph by saying that "The Bible points to God as its author..."

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/22/07 07:35 PM

Elsewhere in the same article she points out that God as a writer, or in terms of logic, is not on trial in the Bible. When we say that God is the author of Scripture, we need to be very careful as to what we mean by that.

Here's the actual quote:

Quote:
The Bible is written by inspired men, but it is not God's mode of thought and expression. It is that of humanity. God, as a writer, is not represented. Men will often say such an expression is not like God. But God has not put Himself in words, in logic, in rhetoric, on trial in the Bible. The writers of the Bible were God's penmen, not His pen. Look at the different writers. {1SM 21.1}

I had a teacher at the seminary who pointed out that many Adventists have the idea God only inspired thoughts and not words, so that the thought process was purely of God and the writing process purely of man. He pointed out that both the thought process and the writing process were a joint process involving both man and God. This is why we are told that "holy men of old" were inspired, because not just anyone could receive what God wanted to communicate. Even for a great saint like Daniel, it took many years to receive that which God had to communicate.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/22/07 07:47 PM

All of those elements were also in the EGW quote I posted here from that link.

God is the author in the sense that, if it were not for God inspiring them to write what they wrote in their own words, there wouldn't be a Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/22/07 09:09 PM

That's true. It's not something made up by man.

A question comes up in how God wishes that the Bible be used. As one person asks, is it a code book, or a case book?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/29/07 10:35 PM

God is the author of all knowledge. Why are we so intent on giving this book of Jewish history a preeminent place?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 01/29/07 11:54 PM

Darius,

Unless you will participate more intelligently without simply making the same kind of statements that you alway make, you will also be exempt from further participation in this forum of MSDAOL.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/02/07 06:47 PM

Explain why it is unintelligent to say that God is the source of all knowledge, or to suggest that there is a problem when we unquestioningly accept claims that a certain set of books alone qualify as the Word of God. It is easy to show that all knowledge comes from the Creator of the universe but no one can provide any evidence to suggest that God holds any particular book of knowledge as superior. If adherence to that universal truth earns me your displeasure I have nothing to complain about.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/02/07 10:26 PM

God is the source of all knowledge as well as all wisdom, which is why He gave this knowledge and wisdom to those who wrote the various books that make up the Bible today, both the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Of course, God didn't dictate to them what they would write, however, He did inspire them to write in their own words the knowledge and wisdom He gave them in the writing of the Scriptures.

Christ also acknowledged the authors of and the authority of the then only existing Scriptures by quoting some of the words that they wrote in the Scriptures.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/03/07 11:46 PM

That's the problem we continue to have, Daryl. Like most people you do not wish to acknowledge that EVERYONE writes their understanding of the knowledge and wisdom of the Creator that has been made available to all. It is not only the biblical writers who did this.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/04/07 04:22 AM

If they had also been inspired by God through thought inspiration, then why didn't Christ quote from any of them?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/04/07 08:46 PM

Quote:
If they had also been inspired by God through thought inspiration, then why didn't Christ quote from any of them?

Who Christ quoted from doesn't determine what should be in the canon. I think Jonah was the only minor prophet Christ quoted. That doesn't mean the others shouldn't be there. Jude quoted from the book of Enoch, yet that's not in the canon.

(btw, I'm not agreeing with Darius' position, just pointing out that who quotes from whom is not a good argument as to whether a given book was inspired or not).

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/04/07 08:57 PM

If Christ had quoted from the book of Enoch, I believe the book of Enoch would most likely have been included in the canon.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/05/07 12:41 AM

Quote:
If Christ had quoted from the book of Enoch, I believe the book of Enoch would most likely have been included in the canon.

Why do you believe this? If you discovered that Christ quoted from the pseudepigrapha, would you think the book He quoted from should have been included in the cannon?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/05/07 01:04 AM

I used the words "most likely."

Is there any way of knowing the criteria that was actually used in determining what books would or wouldn't have been in the canon?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/05/07 01:45 AM

In Jude verse 14, there is what appears to be a direct quote from the book of Enoch. Also googling on these words "christ quote book enoch" produce some interesting results.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/05/07 01:45 AM

There was already an Old Testament canon before Christ (or Jude) quoted from it (or other sources). I'm curious as to why you think Christ's quoting from something would "most likely" cause the canon to be changed.

If you're interested in knowing the criteria that was used, I'd suggest goolgeing something like "criteria Jewish Old Testament canon" and you'd probably find something.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/05/07 02:15 AM

I think it would be fruitful to this topic to take a look at the criteria used that resulted in the formation of today's Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/05/07 05:24 AM

The following link shows how the books of the Old Testament were determined:

http://www.tektonics.org/lp/otcanon.html

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/07/07 08:23 PM

So, Daryl is here establishing at least one criterion for the canon. Anything that is quoted by Jesus Christ should be in the canon. That is an interesting position because we know that the story of Lazarus and the rich man was not original with Jesus. It was part of the established Palestinian folklore. Does that mean that all of Palestinian folklore should be in the canon, since Jesus quoted from it? Under what authority did we keep that rich body of knowledge from the canon?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 02/07/07 08:28 PM

I found the following quote from the link Daryl provided to be very interesting:
Quote:
The idea of a "canon" did not originate with the Israelites. They had a model to go on, one which was in circulation in Egyptian and Mesopotamian society. Vasholz [Vash.OTOT, 3-4], using the example of the Poem of Erra and other documents from the 12th to 8th centuries BC, notes these four core (commonsense!) steps:

The deity speaks, and his words are recorded.
The material is faithfully transmitted.
Authenticity is establised by means of blessings for honor, and curses for dishonor, in transcription.
Materials are preserved in a sacred place.

Let us note the first step. "The deity speaks." If we believe that only YHWH could speak that calls into question the model on which the Israelites based their ideas for a canon. But once the people believe, or are made to believe, that the deity speaks to some people they are bound to accept whatever those people claim the deity told them, regardless of the source of that information.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/27/07 03:29 PM

The following is directly related to the question of the authorship of the Bible.

An e-friend of mine posted this on another forum. I find it to be interesting.

Most people think of the 10 Commandments as the lists in Exodus 20:1-17, or in Deuteronomy 5:6-2, and they're quite similar. But it's interesting to note that the only time in the Pentateuch that the actual words "The Ten Commandments" are used is in Exodus 34, and that chapter lists an entirely different set of commands (Ex. 34:11-26). The next two verses then go on to state:

Quote:
Ex. 34:27. "And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.
28. And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And He wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

That's it. The only time, within the Pentateuch, that the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used. Neither Exodus 20 nor Deuteronomy 5 refers to the rules they list as "the Ten Commandments."

You ought to read these alternate commandments. They can be condensed as follows:

Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).
Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
All the first-born are mine.
Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.
The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.
Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread.
The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.
The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.
Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk

So my earnest question would be, why, when the Bible very explicitly calls these the Ten Commandments, does everybody else thinks that the Decalogue refers to the others lists, that don't call themselves that?
Posted By: Rosangela

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/27/07 06:11 PM

Ex. 34: 28 says, "And He wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."
Therefore, the ten commandments were those which were written on the tables of stone.
After mentioning the ten commandments, in Deut. 5, Moses says, "These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly at the mountain out of the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and he added no more. And he wrote them upon two tables of stone, and gave them to me" (v.22).
Thus you can see that the commandments written on the tables of stone are in fact those mentioned in Ex. 20 and Deut. 5.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/27/07 06:58 PM

Rosangela, please explain why the passage in Ex. 34 bears no resemblance to the list in Ex. 20 or Deut. 5. The bottom line is that Ex. 34 is the only one that says that it was written by the Creator. Ex. 20 only says that "God spake."
Posted By: crater

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/27/07 09:25 PM

The following is directly related to the question of the authorship of the Bible.

An e-friend of mine posted this on another forum. I find it to be interesting.

Most people think of the 10 Commandments as the lists in Exodus 20:1-17, or in Deuteronomy 5:6-2, and they're quite similar. But it's interesting to note that the only time in the Pentateuch that the actual words "The Ten Commandments" are used is in Exodus 34, and that chapter lists an entirely different set of commands (Ex. 34:11-26). The next two verses then go on to state:

Quote:
Ex. 34:27. "And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.
28. And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And He wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

That's it. The only time, within the Pentateuch, that the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used. Neither Exodus 20 nor Deuteronomy 5 refers to the rules they list as "the Ten Commandments."

You ought to read these alternate commandments. They can be condensed as follows:

Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).
Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
All the first-born are mine.
Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.
The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.
Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread.
The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.
The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.
Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk

So my earnest question would be, why, when the Bible very explicitly calls these the Ten Commandments, does everybody else thinks that the Decalogue refers to the others lists, that don't call themselves that?

That is interesting Darius. I just did a fast read through Exodus. It seems to me that we could use the same kind of interpretation in reading Exodus 30, perhaps it was just the Sabbath command that was written in stone by the Self Existent One, on the "first set of stones" You know the ones, that Moses broke in his anger, at the idolatry of Israel, when they "danced naked" around the "molten calf".

From Exodus 34, verse 27 "And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel."
It appears that the Lord is having Moses do the writing this time. But is it " after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel", that Moses is to write or is the Lord making a comment about what Moses will be writing?

Quote:
12And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

13Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

14Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

16Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

17It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

18And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

I did find it interesting how many times the command to keep the 7th day Sabbath is mentioned in Exodus.

How little we study this book of laws.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/28/07 12:29 AM

Maybe we don't like the implications. It does not support our view of the Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/28/07 05:53 PM

Maybe we don't like the implications. It does not support our view of the Bible.
Or maybe we just need to read and study scripture more.

Line upon line ... \:\)

Quote:
Deuteronomy 10

1At that time the LORD said unto me, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first, and come up unto me into the mount, and make thee an ark of wood.

2And I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou brakest, and thou shalt put them in the ark.

3And I made an ark of shittim wood, and hewed two tables of stone like unto the first, and went up into the mount, having the two tables in mine hand.

4And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me.

5And I turned myself and came down from the mount, and put the tables in the ark which I had made; and there they be, as the LORD commanded me.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/28/07 07:33 PM

Crater, you are deliberately missing the point. Why is the version in Ex. 34 completely different from any other in the Pentateuch?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/29/07 04:27 PM

Darius, Ex. 34 does not bring a version of the 10 commandments. They had already been mentioned in Ex. 20 and Moses does not repeat them here. But you will notice that when God made the covenant with the people, in Ex. 20-23, besides the 10 commandments a series of other laws were given, and you will notice that the laws mentioned in Ex. 23 were summarized again in Ex. 34:10-26. So, Ex. 34:10-26 is not a list of the ten commandments, but a summary of other laws given with the ten commandments.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/29/07 05:45 PM

Rosangela, Ex. 34 is the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used and the only place where we find something that God wrote. Ex. 20 never says that God wrote it. Your analysis is influenced by your beliefs. You did not do the text justice here. The language of Ex. 34 is very clear. In verse 1 the Creator says He is about to make a second copy of the tablets that Moses broke. The context shows that what Moses called the Ten Commandments are the commands spoken in v. 11 to v. 26 and they are different from anything else in the Pentateuch. Something happened. Regardless of how we slice it we do not have the two copies of the Ten Commandments.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/29/07 05:54 PM

Crater, you are deliberately missing the point. Why is the version in Ex. 34 completely different from any other in the Pentateuch?

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D., how dare you "deliberately" judge me? " And for a spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment"

How can I even know what your point is? I was addressing your "Bottom Line"

I believe that Deuteronomy 10:2& 4 answered the "Bottom Line". " Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D. you said, “The bottom line is that Ex. 34 is the only one that says that it was written by the Creator. Ex. 20 only says that "God spake." "

But that isn't necessarily a true statement, especially when you follow the line upon line as your guide to studying scripture. We need to get to the meat and quit suckling to avoid the snares. \:\)

Isaiah 28:

9Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

10For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Deuteronomy 10:

2And I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou brakest, and thou shalt put them in the ark.

4And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me.

How is one to know which quote is your point? Is it an "earnest question"? The "Bottom Line"?

Quote:
Most people think of the 10 Commandments as the lists in Exodus 20:1-17, or in Deuteronomy 5:6-2, and they're quite similar. But it's interesting to note that the only time in the Pentateuch that the actual words "The Ten Commandments" are used is in Exodus 34, and that chapter lists an entirely different set of commands (Ex. 34:11-26).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Rosangela, please explain why the passage in Ex. 34 bears no resemblance to the list in Ex. 20 or Deut. 5. The bottom line is that Ex. 34 is the only one that says that it was written by the Creator. Ex. 20 only says that "God spake."

Quote:

Now that I know that your point is, " Why is the version in Ex. 34 completely different from any other in the Pentateuch?" I will spend some time while out in nature and see how my most common sense will be inspired to answer this.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/29/07 06:06 PM

Rosangela, Ex. 34 is the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used and the only place where we find something that God wrote. Ex. 20 never says that God wrote it. Your analysis is influenced by your beliefs. You did not do the text justice here. The language of Ex. 34 is very clear. In verse 1 the Creator says He is about to make a second copy of the tablets that Moses broke. The context shows that what Moses called the Ten Commandments are the commands spoken in v. 11 to v. 26 and they are different from anything else in the Pentateuch. Something happened. Regardless of how we slice it we do not have the two copies of the Ten Commandments.

"Ex. 34 is the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used and the only place where we find something that God wrote."

Really Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D. this is a bit much even from you! What a totally untrue statement to make! Have you not read Deuteronomy 10: 2 & 4 that I quoted yesterday?

Deuteronomy 10:

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/29/07 06:42 PM

Crater, I don't follow. Deut. 10 mentions Ten Commandments but it does not contain anything that can be considered the Ten Commandments. Ex. 34 is the only place in the Pentateuch where we find a list that is explicitly associated with the term.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/29/07 11:36 PM

Crater, I don't follow. Deut. 10 mentions Ten Commandments but it does not contain anything that can be considered the Ten Commandments. Ex. 34 is the only place in the Pentateuch where we find a list that is explicitly associated with the term.
Surely you do. \:D

Quote:
"Ex. 34 is the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used"

Can you honestly say that "Ex. 34 is the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used is a true statement?

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D., you are not one who likes to mix truth and error to confuse are you?

Let's just get this cleared up before continuing. \:\)

Is it not true that the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used in at least one other place in scripture than in Ex. 34? And you presenting Ex. 34 as the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used" is a bit misleading?

Perhaps it was not your intent to be misleading but was unaware of the content of Deuteronomy 10: 2 & 4 at the time you made the statement that, "Ex. 34 is the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used"?

Deuteronomy 10:

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/30/07 12:12 AM

crater. you are straining at gnats. Anyone who follows this discussion understands that I am referring to the association of the term Ten Commandments with a specific set of commands. You have shown that the term itself appears in Deut. 10. Why do you think that going on about it will change the fact that the commands in Ex. 34 are identified as the Ten Commandments and that they do not bear a resemblance to any other passage in the Pentateuch? I don't get your agenda.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/30/07 12:42 AM

And, Darius, we don't get your agenda either.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/30/07 07:15 AM

crater. you are straining at gnats. Anyone who follows this discussion understands that I am referring to the association of the term Ten Commandments with a specific set of commands. You have shown that the term itself appears in Deut. 10. Why do you think that going on about it will change the fact that the commands in Ex. 34 are identified as the Ten Commandments and that they do not bear a resemblance to any other passage in the Pentateuch? I don't get your agenda.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D., I have no agenda but to call truth and error as I see it. \:\)

I will admit that I have began to wonder how far you would wiggle and slither to avoid admitting your untruthfulness of your statement that, "Ex. 34 is the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used".

I am totally interested in studying Ex. 34 further and so glad that you brought it to the attention of this forum. I am really enjoying studying this subject out for myself

I do like to study and share together but I personally have no need to debate.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D., since I do have a problem where someone interjects truth and error, it makes it nearly impossible to study and share with you. I find this indeed unfortunate as I am sure you would have some interesting insights that are so unique to you.

" Why is the version in Ex. 34 completely different from any other in the Pentateuch?"

I will just share a couple of sites that I found on this subject, that I found interesting. I especially enjoyed Clarks Commentary. Make what you will of what is said. I doubt that I can add anything further. \:\)

Which ones are the REAL Ten Commandments -- Exodus 20, Exodus 34, or Deut. 5?

CLARKE'S COMMENTARY - EXODUS 34

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 12:14 AM

Quote:
Rosangela, Ex. 34 is the only place where the phrase "Ten Commandments" is used and the only place where we find something that God wrote. Ex. 20 never says that God wrote it.

As I had told you before, after the list given in Deut. 5, which is a repetition of the list of Ex. 20, it is said: “These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly at the mountain out of the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and he added no more. And he wrote them upon two tables of stone, and gave them to me” (Deut. 5:22). And Ex. 34:27 says that the “ten commandments” were those written in the tables of stone.

Quote:
The context shows that what Moses called the Ten Commandments are the commands spoken in v. 11 to v. 26 and they are different from anything else in the Pentateuch.

No, they aren’t. As I told you before, they are a mere repetition of Ex. 23.

Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god). Ex. 23:24
Thou shalt make thee no molten gods. (an additional warning made having in view the golden calf episode)
All the first-born are mine. Ex. 22:29
Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest. Ex. 23:12
The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn. Ex. 23:15
Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end. Ex. 23:16
Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread. Ex. 23:18
The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning. Ex. 23:18
The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God. Ex. 23:19
Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk. Ex. 23:19

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 03:17 AM

Crater, do you have similar difficulty dealing with Jesus who told the story of the rich man and Lazarus that He knew was not a true story? It does not matter to me whether you study and share with me. I did not come here seeking to share and study with you. You are free to do whatever you wish but nothing you do will change the facts I have shared here.

Rosangela, thanks for bringing Ex. 23 to our attention. That does not address the issue of Ex. 20. If Ex. 20 is not the real Ten Commandments we need to address that.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 03:19 AM

Daryl, I was hoping you would be thrilled to discover what the Bible teaches.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 03:50 PM

Quote:
Rosangela, thanks for bringing Ex. 23 to our attention. That does not address the issue of Ex. 20. If Ex. 20 is not the real Ten Commandments we need to address that.

Again, Darius, this is very simple.

Deut. 10:3,4
3"So I made an ark of acacia wood, hewed two tablets of stone like the first, and went up the mountain, having the two tablets in my hand.
4 "And He wrote on the tablets according to the first writing, the Ten Commandments, which the LORD had spoken to you in the mountain from the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly; and the LORD gave them to me."

Deut. 5:2-22:

2 "The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
3 "The LORD did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive.
4 "The LORD talked with you face to face on the mountain from the midst of the fire.
5 "I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the LORD; for you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up the mountain. He said:
6 ¶ ‘I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
7 ‘You shall have no other gods before Me.
8 ‘You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
9 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
10 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
11 ‘You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
12 ‘Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you.
13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
14 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.
15 And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.
16 ‘Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the LORD your God is giving you.
17 ‘You shall not murder.
18 ‘You shall not commit adultery.
19 ‘You shall not steal.
20 ‘You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
21 ‘You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife; and you shall not desire your neighbor’s house, his field, his male servant, his female servant, his ox, his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.’
22 "These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly, in the mountain from the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and He added no more. And He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 04:17 PM

Rosangela all you have done is post quotes from the Bible. You have not explained why we have different sets of commands that are entirely different. You say it is simple but you keep avoiding it.
Posted By: djconklin

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 08:20 PM

Back to the title of thread (that's what attracted my eye!).

First, you have to define "author."

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 08:24 PM

Quote:
I recently read an artical that claimed 1 Timothy, Titus, and a portion of 1 Corinthians were forged after Paul's death, and theirfore, not autherd by God guiding Paul.

They may have claimed it; but, they can't prove it.

In order to prove that something was forged you'd have to know what else the forger wrote and be able to compare that with the above books. They don't have that kind of information.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 08:24 PM

Hi, David. The fiasco with the Ten Commandments shows that the Creator cannot be identified as the author of the Bible. He has inspired it but the Bible is definitely the product of human effort.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 08:28 PM

Quote:
It is widely believed but there is not basis for the belief that the Bible is the written version of Jesus Christ. A written version of Jesus Christ was never necessary because the living Word is eternal.

Jesus is eternal, yes. But, man doesn't live on that plane so God chose to speak to man through His prophets, etc.. They wrote down what God inspired them to write. Jesus promised that after He left He would send the comforter who would bring to mind what He had taught them and waht was written beforehand.

Romans 15:4
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 11:52 PM

Right on David!

This is basically what the 2nd Quarter of our Adult Sabbath School Bible Study Guide was all about.

Christ affirmed the inspiration and truth of the Scriptures. I don't see where He questioned this even once.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/01/07 11:58 PM

Daryl, I don't think you have a full grasp of why Jesus came to earth. He did not come here to validate the Scriptures.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 12:00 AM

He came here to fulfill them, which is the same thing as validating them.
 Quote:

Matthew 26:56 But all this was done, that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 12:10 AM

I guess the Great Controversy is all about the validity of the Scriptures. OK.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 12:14 AM

In a sense it really is for the fact that the Plan of Salvation and the battle against good and evil are both revealed in the Scriptures.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 12:38 AM

Are you suggesting that the Scriptures are the basis for the Plan of Salvation? I don't understand.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 12:58 AM

I didn't suggest that the Scriptures are the basis for the Plan of Salvation, however, the Scriptures reveal the Plan of Salvation, as well as reveal the Great Controversy going on between Christ and the devil, between good and evil.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 01:40 AM

Jesus came to save mankind. That much I do know, whether or not people accept the gift offered to them depends on their faith in believing He is who He claimed to be.
Do you think that would be a correct assessment\observation Darius?
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 01:41 AM

I don't see how that information aids the discussion. You have introduced something that is not in dispute.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 09:41 AM

And, Darius, we don't get your agenda either.

Daryl, perhaps Darius's agenda has been reveled, as he has slithered around rather then admitting his error.

He freely admits that:

He isn't here to study.

He isn't here to share.

We see how;

He interjects truth and error.

He borders on blasphemy.

He attempts to make non-effect the Holy Scriptures.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 02:46 PM

Will, I don't know how to answer your question. You say that Jesus came to save mankind. The obvious question is, "Did He? How much of a success was He at what He came to do?" I like to think that He was a complete success, and in John 17:1-5 He says He was, but after listening to some Christians I am not so sure.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 02:48 PM

Crater, after you are finished your futile attempts to tar me return to the facts at hand. Explain Ex. 34. Why is the second copy of the Ten Commandments so different from what we have always assumed to be the first copy.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 02:51 PM

Well, Darius, why don't you give us your answer to your own question?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 03:04 PM

Quote:
Rosangela all you have done is post quotes from the Bible. You have not explained why we have different sets of commands that are entirely different. You say it is simple but you keep avoiding it.

Darius, I'm not avoiding anything. We simply don't have different sets of commands. The 10 Cs and a series of other laws (which derive from the 10 Cs) were given on the same occasion. It's all written there in Ex. 20-23. In the account of the second time the ten commandments were given (Ex. 34), Moses didn't find it necessary to repeat all the 10 Cs but, in view of the golden calf episode, repeated some of them and some of the laws which were to make the Israelites a distinct people, separate from the canaanite nations around them. He says they shouldn't worship other gods, the gods of those nations, nor make idols for them (like they had done with the golden calf); their feasts should not be dedicated to the fertility gods of that land but to the Lord; their day of worship should be the seventh day in honor of the only true God, the Creator of heaven and earth; their animals shouldn't be dedicated to other gods but to the Lord, to whom they belonged; and they shouldn't adopt the pagan rituals of the canaanite nations, like boiling a kid in its mother's milk.
There are no two sets of the ten commandments and, for those who pay attention to the context of the book of Exodus, this is very clear.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 03:19 PM

Rosangela, since Moses said that what he wrote were the Ten Commandments and there seem to be ten principles in that list I fail to see how you can suggest that the list was longer. It would no longer be the Ten Commandments. I prefer to consider what is in the texts than transparent efforts to protect human doctrines and beliefs. Thanks.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 06:09 PM

Darius, the text says:

"And the LORD said to Moses, 'Write these words; in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.' And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments" (Deut. 34:27,28).

The problem is that you are interpreting the pronoun "he" of the sentence "and he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments" as referring to Moses, when it refers to God, as Deut. 5:22 and 10:4 show clearly. What Moses wrote was written in a book (Ex. 24:7; Deut. 31:24-26).

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 06:19 PM

Rosangela, it does not matter who "he" is. I have never considered that in my analysis. The bottom line is that the second version is different from what we claim is the first version. There is no need to bring in other side issues. That is of sufficient interest. What accounts for the difference?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 06:57 PM

At least wait for the feathers.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/02/07 09:24 PM

Why do we always resort to humor when the truth becomes to strong to resist?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 01:14 AM

This discussion has been fruitful in some ways, one way being that God first spoke the Ten Commandments to the people in Exodus 20:1 quoted below:
 Quote:

Exodus 20:1 And God spoke all these words, saying,

God then spoke what the Ten Comandments were, which we see written by Moses from verse 2 to verse 17.

This was followed later on by God's writing them, with His own finger, on tablets of stone.
 Quote:

Exodus 24:12 And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.

The above verse doesn't specifically use the word Ten Commandments. It is implied, but not specifically stated, therefore, we need to read further.

In Exodus 24:18 we read:
 Quote:

Exodus 24:18 And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and got him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.

What happened during those 40 days and 40 nights can be read from Exodus 25:1 to Exodus 31:17. What is there is in addition to what was written on two tables of stone as stated in Exodus 31:18 quoted below:
 Quote:

Exodus 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Once again, the above quoted text doesn't specifically state what was written. They are referred here as the two tables of testimony, but not specifically stated as being the Ten Commandments, therefore, we need to read further.
 Quote:

Exodus 32:15 And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written.

Exodus 32:16 And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables.

Exodus 32:19
And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses' anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and broke them beneath the mount.

Again, the above text refers to the two tables of stone as the two tables of the testimony, which were broken by Moses in his anger, therefore, we need to read further.

Exodus 34:1 shows that these same tables that were destroyed were to be replaced by God:
 Quote:

Exodus 34:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou didst break.

And Moses did as the Lord said unto Moses:
 Quote:

Exodus 34:4 And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

Exodus 34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

This is the first time it specifically says that it was the Ten Commandments that were written on the two tables of stone, which it says were the same words as on the first two tables of stone that Moses had broken in his anger.

In conclusion, that what was written on the first two tables of stone, was also written on the second two tables of stone, namely the Ten Commandments that God spoke to the people in Exodus 20:2-17.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 02:45 PM

Thanks for that review, Daryl. Now, let's return to the issue at hand. Why is the second copy so different from what we think is the first copy? What are the implications of that fact.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 02:57 PM

Darius,

We know that the ten commandments were written on the tablets. Deut. 5 says which commandments were written on the tablets. Now, where is it written that the commandments that you call the second set are the ten commandments and that they were written on the tablets?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 04:13 PM

Rosangela, you are beating around this stuff. You are trying your very best to avoid it. The evidence is before you. If you need to, go over the entire thread again. There has been enough repetition for a lifetime.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 04:32 PM

Could you please be patient with me and answer the question? Just one verse is enough.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 04:50 PM

Ex. 34:27, 28.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 05:00 PM

In my review, as you call it, in reference to Exodus 34:28 I said the following:

Exodus 34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

This is the first time it specifically says that it was the Ten Commandments that were written on the two tables of stone, which it says were the same words as on the first two tables of stone that Moses had broken in his anger.

In conclusion, that what was written on the first two tables of stone, was also written on the second two tables of stone, namely the Ten Commandments that God spoke to the people in Exodus 20:2-17.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 05:15 PM

Darius,

After what you call the second set, “then the LORD said to Moses, ‘Write these words, for according to the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.’ So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments” (Ex. 34:7,8).

You said it doesn’t matter who wrote on the tablets of stone, but this provides the answer to the question you are asking. V. 7 says God commanded Moses to write the commands mentioned in Ex. 34, and v. 8 says that the ten commandments were written on the tablets. Now, who wrote on the tablets? God (as Deut. 10:1-5 says) or Moses? If it was God, then the commands God told Moses to write are not the ten commandments. If it was Moses, then you might have a point, but then Moses, in Deuteronomy, would have contradicted what he wrote in Exodus.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 05:30 PM

Let's pause for a minute. Rosangela, what do you think is the question I am asking?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 05:31 PM

If the commands God told Moses to write are not the Ten Commandments why did Moses call them the Ten Commandments?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 05:40 PM

Quote:
Let's pause for a minute. Rosangela, what do you think is the question I am asking?

I think it is, Are there two sets of the ten commandments, and if so, how do we deal with that?

Quote:
If the commands God told Moses to write are not the Ten Commandments why did Moses call them the Ten Commandments?

Moses calls the ten commandments the commandments that were written on the tablets. Did he write on the tablets? This is the important question.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 05:53 PM

And in Ex. 34 he could only have been referring to those in Ex. 34. 11:26. To claim otherwise is to make a mockery of Biblical interpretation.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 06:01 PM

Darius,

Moses was told to write the commandments of Ex. 34:11-26. Did he write them or did God write them? Were they written on the tablets of stone or not?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 07:01 PM

You are asking a different question which evades the more important question. When a an employer tell me he will write to me I know that it is secretary who will be writing the letter. Who wrote on the tablets is a non-issue.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:

I think it is, Are there two sets of the ten commandments, and if so, how do we deal with that?

Quote:

Moses calls the ten commandments the commandments that were written on the tablets. Did he write on the tablets? This is the important question.

Rosangela, It is a challenge to figure out what Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D is asking as he makes his twits and turns and demands that he be answered. Yet he will not answer others. Shall you answer to "his point", "his earnest question", or his "bottom line"?

Why should Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D, be answered at all when even his questions start with a false premise. "But it's interesting to note that the only time in the Pentateuch that the actual words "The Ten Commandments" are used is in Exodus 34". The Enemy used the same means of questioning of Jesus in the wilderness by mixing truth and error. Luke 4

Quote:
Quote:Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.

Most people think of the 10 Commandments as the lists in Exodus 20:1-17, or in Deuteronomy 5:6-2, and they're quite similar. But it's interesting to note that the only time in the Pentateuch that the actual words "The Ten Commandments" are used is in Exodus 34, and that chapter lists an entirely different set of commands (Ex. 34:11-26).

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/03/07 10:03 PM

You really must have nothing to do, crater, if you are still back at that puddle. How can I help you?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/04/07 02:40 PM

Darius,

Both good thoughts and questions have been presented to you.

Unless you are willing to answer the questions asked of you, don't expect others to be willing to answer your questions.

You seem to have a habit of saying it is a non-issue, when others think it is an issue. It's your way of refusing to answer any questions that you really can't answer.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/04/07 03:19 PM

Daryl, who actually penned the second set of tablets does not change the fact that we have different versions. It is obvious from the text, read in English or in Hebrew, that Moses was the one who actually wrote on the tablets but he, like a secretary, was writing under the direction of the Creator. It is a non-issue.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/04/07 04:37 PM

Of course I disagree, Darius. Moses says specifically that God wrote on the tablets and gave the tablets to him.

"These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly, in the mountain from the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and He added no more. And He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me." (Deut. 5:22)

"At that time the LORD said to me, ‘Hew for yourself two tablets of stone like the first, and come up to Me on the mountain and make yourself an ark of wood. And I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke; and you shall put them in the ark.’ So I made an ark of acacia wood, hewed two tablets of stone like the first, and went up the mountain, having the two tablets in my hand. And He wrote on the tablets according to the first writing, the Ten Commandments, which the LORD had spoken to you in the mountain from the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly; and the LORD gave them to me” (Deut. 10:1-4).

Interesting. According to you, claiming that the commandments of Ex. 34:11-26 are not the ten commandments (I don't even consider that they are 10 and their relevance can never be compaired to that of the real 10 commandments) is to make a mockery of Biblical interpretation, but you can claim that Moses wrote on the tablets when the Bible says clearly that God wrote on the tablets, and you consider that this is not to make mockery of Biblical interpretation. Saying that the finger of God is the finger of Moses is not making mockery of Biblical interpretation.

Besides, God says, "And I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets". How can you claim that there are two sets of the ten commandments when God says specifically that there is just one, for the same words were writen both on the first and on the second tablets?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/04/07 05:07 PM

Rosangela, now I understand why you were so intent on that question. That is a rather convincing analysis but it leads to the same place. We are still left with two different documents to explain.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/04/07 05:14 PM

Like I said, Darius. God says, "And I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets." The words that were written on the first tablets are the same that were written on the second tablets. So there can't be two sets of commandments, but just one.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/04/07 05:28 PM

The problem is He never said that he wrote what is in Ex. 20. Then the Deut. 5 version is different in the fourth commandment. The only version that is associated with a statement of writing is Ex. 34.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/05/07 02:08 PM

In Deut. 5, after listing the 10 commandments, Moses says,

"These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly, in the mountain from the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and He added no more. And He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me" (v.22).

Here it is mentioned which words were written on the tablets of stone.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/05/07 04:05 PM

OK. Let us assume that the words he spoke to the assembly are the ones he wrote on the tablets of stone. Do you have a reference that points to those words? What is the relevance of the words in Ex. 34?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/05/07 05:36 PM

Quote:
OK. Let us assume that the words he spoke to the assembly are the ones he wrote on the tablets of stone. Do you have a reference that points to those words?

The words Moses mentions in Deut. 5:22 that God spoke to the assembly and wrote on the tablets are those contained in Deut. 5:6-21.

Quote:
What is the relevance of the words in Ex. 34?

We have this sequence in the first time God makes a covenant with the people:
- First God speaks to the assembly (Ex. 20:1-20);
- then Moses goes up to the mountain and receives additional laws (Ex. 20:21-23:33);
- he tells these laws to the people, and the people agrees to enter into a covenant with God (Ex. 24:3);
- he then writes these laws (Ex. 24:4) in the Book of Covenant, which he reads to the people (Ex. 24:7), confirming the covenant.
- Then Moses goes up with Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel (Ex. 24:9);
- after that, the Lord said to Moses, "Come up to Me on the mountain and be there; and I will give you tablets of stone, and the law and commandments which I have written, that you may teach them" (Ex. 24:12).
- Then Moses goes up to the mountain again, where he stays 40 days and 40 nights (Ex. 24:18), where God gives him instructions about the sanctuary (Ex. 25:1-31:17) and finally gives him the tablets of stone written with the finger of God (Ex. 31:18).

Ex. 34 gives the account of the renewal of the covenant with the people, so it mentions that God gave Moses new tablets of stone and, in view of the golden-calf episode, reinforces some of the laws that Moses should write again on the Book of Covenant.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/06/07 07:40 AM

Self-deception is the most difficult to counter.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/06/07 02:19 PM

Especially when someone believes that the Bible contradicts itself.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/06/07 09:15 PM

Rosangela, you speak of the Bible in anthropomorphic terms. The Bible is a collection of books by individuals and some of the information is contradictory. This is not speculation. It is fact. All Christians agree with that. Most times you hear it when they say, "Well, it does not really mean that." That happens when they come upon a contradiction.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/06/07 09:40 PM

Quote:
The Bible is a collection of books by individuals and some of the information is contradictory.

The Bible was written by several penmen, but it has just one Author.
"All scripture is inspired by God" (2 Tim. 3:16). When you say that the Bible contradicts itself, you are saying that God contradicts Himself.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/06/07 10:30 PM

Rosangela, you are rewriting the text to say, "Only Scripture is inspired by God." This is not what the text says. Even Paul admitted that he only saw through a glass darkly. He understood that his understanding of the truth was limited and possibly at times wrong. Why do we refuse to accept the facts?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/07/07 12:14 AM

Darius,

Who is the authority that determines what is right and what is wrong in the Bible?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/07/07 07:10 AM

Rosangela, the same authority who determines what is right and what is wrong everywhere else. I don't get the point you are driving at.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/08/07 03:24 PM

The authority that determines what is right and what is wrong in the Bible must be superior to the Bible. Who or what is that authority?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/08/07 06:31 PM

That authority is the Creator of the universe and the Bible agrees that the best way to get to know the hidden things about the Creator is to study the things that He made. This is one area in which Christians don't really seem to care for what the Bible has to say.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/08/07 11:06 PM

Some Christians may not be aware of that Darius. I am referring to post#90447.
The Bible mentions the things God has created, we see those things and can maybe get an idea of the wondrous works of God, the design of what He made, and an idea of what He is like for lack of a better term.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/09/07 01:13 AM

Will, they would if they paid more attention to what the Bible teaches than to the doctrinal positions they can find support for in the text. David practically shouts when he says, "The heavens declare the glory of God." That should be enough. Then Paul turns around and solidifies the position in Rom. 1:20 when he says that the hidden things of the Creator are revealed in the things that he made. But, Christians have a hard time admitting that scientists have revealed more about the nature and characteristics of our Creator than have all our illustrious theologians and professional Christians. You have no idea in what disregard I am held.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/09/07 02:06 AM

Darius, I find what you just posted to be the truth. I believe that we can learn from each other regardless of what we believe, especially when considering that a majority, the popular majority of scientists do not believe in God.
Job does a good job at recording some of the things that God has revealed about creation and who made it, and how.
Would it be safe to say that this is the bread and butter of your position? Regardless of any "extras" we all look into, but would that be the core of it?
If it is then I do not know why you would be held in such disregard, I mean I find it perplexing.
Any thoughts?
God Bless,
Will

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/09/07 04:24 PM

Quote:
That authority is the Creator of the universe

What? Did the Creator say that His Word has errors and that it contradicts itself? Where does He say this? As far as I know, what He says is, "The Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35), meaning it cannot be made null and void; whatever that says is true, there is no contradicting it, or objecting to it.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/09/07 07:15 PM

Let's put it this way. If my blood is red and the liquid you have in your possession is blue maybe you should think twice about saying that the liquid you have in your possession is my blood.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/10/07 03:11 PM

Darius,

Either the Bible is the Word of God or it isn't. If it is, it cannot have theological errors. Jesus said, "Sanctify them in the truth; thy Word is truth" (John 17:17).
If you consider that the Bible is a mix of truth and error, the Bible cannot be the Word of God, for how can the Word of God be a mix of truth and error? If you consider that the Bible is not the Word of God, but just contains the Word of God, and that it's up to you to separate truth from error, this means that you are setting yourself up as judge over the Bible and, as such, making yourself superior to it.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/10/07 03:21 PM

As long as I don't try to be superior to the Creator that's all that matters. Everything else is subject to being tested.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/10/07 04:17 PM

But those who judge the Word given by God are placing themselves above the God who gave it.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/10/07 05:03 PM

That's an opinion with no basis in fact. John 21:20-23 shows that these "writers of the Bible were not above misinterpreting direct words from Jesus Himself.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/10/07 09:03 PM

Darius,

The misinterpretation of Jesus's words was not on the part of the Bible writer. The opposite is true. The Bible writer is correcting it.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/10/07 09:20 PM

The correction was made when the facts finally caught up with them. For at least 20 years they all believed the false intepretation.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/11/07 04:03 PM

The day and hour of Christ's coming is unknown, and every generation of Christians has believed and hoped that Christ would come in their days. So what they thought about Jesus's words was not a theological error. However, we are not discussing what they thought, but what was written.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/11/07 04:49 PM

In Daniel's case, what was shown him, and what he wrote wasn't fully understood by him at that time, however, that didn't negate as truth what he wrote.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/11/07 07:07 PM

Rosangela, I am addressing what they taught. For years they taught and believed error because they interpreted what Jesus said to fit what they already believed and in all that time God did nothing to change their thinking. That is important.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/12/07 06:49 PM

Darius,

The difference between us is that I believe I am judged by the Word of God, not the other way around.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/12/07 07:41 PM

The real difference is that you believe that a book that men have compiled over the years is the word of God. That is the problem.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/12/07 09:22 PM

If it's not, it might as well be thrown away. Who knows if there is a God, a future judgment, or an afterlife? Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/12/07 09:44 PM

If it isn't, then why did Christ refer to it so often?
 Quote:

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

What convinces me that it is the Word of God, also known as the Scriptures, is the information contained in it, both historical and prophetical, as well as the promises and other instructional information.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/12/07 10:27 PM

That is very simplistic thinking. These emotional arguments betray a lack of support for one's position. You know that you have not basis for holding the Bible at the level you do so you make an emotional appeal. If you were to ever read the Bible thoroughly, instead of focussing only on the texts used in doctrinal seminars, you could never believe as you do.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/12/07 10:28 PM

Daryl, Scriptures means Writings. It does not mean Word of God.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/13/07 12:10 AM

What then, Darius, in your opinion is the Word of God?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/13/07 03:17 AM

Let us first note that this term "Word of God" in reference to the Bible did not come into vogue until the time of Constantine, if my research serves me right. The Word of God constitutes all the manifestations, utterances, revelations and deeds of the Creator of the Universe. It can certainly be found in the Bible but it is not restricted nor fully manifested in the Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/13/07 08:57 AM

If it isn't, then why did Christ refer to it so often?
 Quote:

What convinces me that it is the Word of God, also known as the Scriptures, is the information contained in it, both historical and prophetical, as well as the promises and other instructional information.

Daryl, one of my favorite text of Scripture is in in first John where it talks about the Word.

Quote:
John 1

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2The same was in the beginning with God.

3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

18No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

19And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?

20And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.

21And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.

22Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?

23He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

24And they which were sent were of the Pharisees.

25And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?

26John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;

27He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.

28These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing.

29The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

30This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.

31And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

32And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

33And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

34And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

35Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;

36And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

Daryl we shared earlier in the week the passages in 1John 1-7 and John 3:26-36

Quote:
1 John 1

1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

3That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

4And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

6If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
 Quote:
26And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.

27John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

28Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.

29He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

30He must increase, but I must decrease.

31He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.

32And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.

33He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.

34For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

35The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

36He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

"John the Immerser" was there to bare witness to the Word. Ellen also gave her witness. Both have some similar aspects to their work as messengers of the Lord. IMO Ellen says it beautifully.

Quote:
Thus through faith they come to know God by an experimental knowledge. They have proved for themselves the reality of His word, the truth of His promises. They have tasted, and they know that the Lord is good. {MH 461.1}

The beloved John had a knowledge gained through his own experience. He could testify: {MH 461.2}

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (for the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) that which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ." 1 John 1:1-3. {MH 461.3}

So everyone may be able, through his own experience, to "set his seal to this, that God is true." John 3:33, A.R.V. He can bear witness to that which he himself has seen and heard and felt of the power of Christ. He can testify: {MH 461.4}

"I needed help, and I found it in Jesus. Every want was supplied, the hunger of my soul was satisfied; the Bible is to me the revelation of Christ. I believe in Jesus because He is to me a divine Saviour. I believe the Bible because I have found it to be the voice of God to my soul." {MH 461.5}

Ellen's witness (set her seal); "the Bible is to me the revelation of Christ. I believe in Jesus because He is to me a divine Saviour. I believe the Bible because I have found it to be the voice of God to my soul." {MH 461.5}

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/13/07 08:57 PM

Quote:
Let us first note that this term "Word of God" in reference to the Bible did not come into vogue until the time of Constantine, if my research serves me right. The Word of God constitutes all the manifestations, utterances, revelations and deeds of the Creator of the Universe. It can certainly be found in the Bible but it is not restricted nor fully manifested in the Bible.

Darius,

How do you know that the Word of God is in that "book that men have compiled over the years"? What, within this book, is the Word of God, and what is not? If I'm not mistaken, you believe that the Word of God is also in the books of Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc. When there is a conflict between what all these books say, which is right and which is wrong?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/13/07 10:31 PM

Rosangela, all knowledge comes from the Creator. Man has created nothing. We only map the reality we perceive. Thankfully, the Creator has given us a standard method for choosing between the options. It is called the scientific method. Our problem is that we think we should explain the Creator. Why do we need to do this. It is not possible to explain your Creator. Even there He anticipated our efforts. He made Himself available to us by making man "in His image." If you want to know what God is like take a look at the image of Himself that He provided to us. Why do we claim to follow the Binle yet disregard what it teaches? If you want to get to know God look to your left and look to your right. His image is all around you and that is why He forbade us to make graven images of Him. He has already provided the image of Himself.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/14/07 12:54 AM

Darius,

One book says that the dead know nothing and that "it is appointed for men to die once, and after that comes judgment"; the other book says there are innumerable reincarnations. What does the scientific method say about it?

About God's image in people around me, what I see is thieves, murderers, adulterers, liars, etc. Is this the kind of image of God you are referring to?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/15/07 02:11 AM

Quote:
(2 Tim. 3:16). Inspiration of the Bible Writers.--God committed the preparation of His divinely inspired Word to finite man. This Word arranged into books, the Old and New Testaments, is the guidebook to the inhabitants of a fallen world; bequeathed to them, that by studying and obeying the directions, not one soul would lose its way to heaven. {7BC 944.8}

Those who think to make the supposed difficulties of Scripture plain, in measuring by their finite rule that which is inspired and that which is not inspired, had better cover their faces, as Elijah when the still small voice spoke to him; for they are in the presence of God and holy angels, who for ages have communicated to men light and knowledge, telling them what to do, and what not to do, unfolding before them scenes of thrilling interest, waymark by waymark in symbols and signs and illustrations. {7BC 944.9}

And He has not, while presenting the perils clustering about the last days, qualified any finite man to unravel hidden mysteries, or inspired one man or any class of men to pronounce judgment as to that which is inspired or is not. When men, in their finite judgment, find it necessary to go into an examination of Scriptures to define that which is inspired and that which is not, they have stepped before Jesus to show Him a better way than He has led us. {7BC 944.10}

I take the Bible just as it is, as the
Inspired Word. I believe its utterances in an entire Bible. . . . {7BC 944.11}

Simplicity and plain utterance are comprehended by the illiterate, by the peasant, and the child as well as by the full-grown man or the giant in intellect. If the individual is possessed of large talents of mental powers, he will find in the Oracles of God treasures of truth, beautiful and valuable, which he can appropriate. He will also find difficulties, and secrets and wonders which will give him the highest satisfaction to study during a long lifetime, and yet there is an infinity beyond. {7BC 945.1}

Men of humble acquirements, possessing but limited capabilities and opportunities to become conversant in the Scriptures, find in the Living Oracles comfort, guidance, counsel, and the plan of salvation as clear as a sunbeam. No one need be lost for want of knowledge unless he is willfully blind. {7BC 945.2}

We thank God that the Bible is prepared for the poor man as well as for the learned man. It is fitted for all ages and all classes (MS 16, 1888). {7BC 945.3}

The writers of the Bible had to express their ideas in human language. It was written by human men. These men were inspired of the Holy Spirit. Because of the imperfections of human understanding of language, or the perversity of the human mind, ingenious in evading truth, many read and understand the Bible to please themselves. It is not that the difficulty is in the Bible. Opposing politicians argue points of law in the statute book, and take opposite views in their application and in these laws. {7BC 945.4}

The Scriptures were given to men, not in a continuous chain of unbroken utterances, but piece by piece through successive generations, as God in His providence saw a fitting opportunity to impress man at sundry times and divers places. Men wrote as they were moved upon by the Holy Ghost. There is "first the bud, then the blossom, and next the fruit," "first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear." This is exactly what the Bible utterances are to us. {7BC 945.5}

There is not always perfect order or apparent unity in the Scriptures. The miracles of Christ are not given in exact order, but are given just as the circumstances occurred, which called for this divine revealing of the power of Christ. The truths of the Bible are as pearls hidden. They must be searched, dug out by painstaking effort. Those who take only a surface view of the Scriptures, will, with their superficial knowledge, which they think is very deep, talk of the contradictions of the Bible, and question the authority of the Scriptures. But those whose hearts are in harmony with truth and duty will search the Scriptures with a heart prepared to receive divine impressions. The illuminated soul sees a spiritual unity, one grand golden thread running through the whole, but it requires patience, thought, and prayer to trace out the precious golden thread. Sharp contentions over the Bible have led to investigation and revealed the precious jewels of truth. Many tears have been shed, many prayers offered, that the Lord would open the understanding to His Word. {7BC 945.6}

The Bible is not given to us in grand superhuman language. Jesus, in order to reach man where he is, took humanity. The Bible must be given in the language of men. Everything that is human is imperfect. Different meanings are expressed by the same word; there is not one word for each distinct idea. The Bible was given for practical purposes. {7BC 945.7}

The stamps of minds are different. All do not understand expressions and statements alike. Some understand the statements of the Scriptures to suit their own particular minds and cases. Prepossessions, prejudices, and passions have a strong influence to darken the understanding and confuse the mind even in reading the words of Holy Writ. . . . {7BC 945.8}

The Bible is written by inspired men, but it is not God's mode of thought and expression. It is that of humanity. God, as a writer, is not represented. Men will often say such an expression is not like God. But God has not put Himself in words, in logic, in rhetoric, on trial in the Bible. The writers of the Bible were God's penmen, not His pen. Look at the different writers. {7BC 945.9}

It is not the words of the Bible that are inspired, but the men that were inspired. Inspiration acts not on the man's words or
his expressions but on the man himself, who, under the influence of the Holy Ghost, is imbued with thoughts. But the words receive the impress of the individual mind. The divine mind is diffused. The divine mind and will is combined with the human mind and will; thus the utterances of the man are the Word of God (MS 24, 1886). {7BC 945.10}

Finite Vehicles of Thought.--The Lord speaks to human beings in imperfect speech, in order that the degenerate senses, the dull, earthly perception, of earthly beings may comprehend His words. Thus is shown God's condescension. He meets fallen human beings where they are. The Bible, perfect as it is in its simplicity, does not answer to the great ideas of God; for infinite ideas cannot be perfectly embodied in finite vehicles of thought. Instead of the expressions of the Bible being exaggerated, as many people suppose, the strong expressions break down before the magnificence of the thought, though the penman selected the most expressive language through which to convey the truths of higher education. Sinful beings can only bear to look upon a shadow of the brightness of heaven's glory (Letter 121, 1901). {7BC 946.1}

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/15/07 04:28 PM

Rosangela, you remind me of the Pharisee who objected to Mary pouring perfume on Jesus' feet. All he saw was her reputation. He did not see the woman. Jesus had to tell him, "Simon, do you see the woman?" How can we have so much confidence in the Bible and miss the lessons it teaches? Don't judge people by what they think they are; judge them by what God thinks of them. He calls them all His children.

I don't get your question about the scientific method.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/15/07 05:28 PM

Quote:
God has permitted a flood of light to be poured upon the world in both science and art; but when professedly scientific men treat upon these subjects from a merely human point of view, they will assuredly come to wrong conclusions. It may be innocent to speculate beyond what God's word has revealed, if our theories do not contradict facts found in the Scriptures; but those who leave the word of God, and seek to account for His created works upon scientific principles, are drifting without chart or compass upon an unknown ocean. The greatest minds, if not guided by the word of God in their research, become bewildered in their attempts to trace the relations of science and revelation. Because the Creator and His works are so far beyond their comprehension that they are unable to explain them by natural laws, they regard Bible history as unreliable. Those who doubt the reliability of the records of the Old and New Testaments, will be led to go a step further, and doubt the existence of God; and then, having lost their anchor, they are left to beat about upon the rocks of infidelity.
{PP 113.4} These persons have lost the simplicity of faith. There should be a settled belief in the divine authority of God's Holy Word. The Bible is not to be tested by men's ideas of science. Human knowledge is an unreliable guide. Skeptics who read the Bible for the sake of caviling, may, through an imperfect comprehension of either science or revelation, claim to find contradictions between them; but rightly understood, they are in perfect harmony. Moses wrote under the guidance of the Spirit of God, and a correct theory of geology will never claim discoveries that cannot be reconciled with his statements. All truth, whether in nature or in revelation, is consistent with itself in all its manifestations. {PP 114.1}

In the word of God many queries are raised that the most profound scholars can never answer. Attention is called to these subjects to show us how much there is, even among the common things of everyday life, that finite minds, with all their boasted wisdom, can never fully understand. {PP 114.2}

Yet men of science think that they can comprehend the wisdom of God, that which He has done or can do. The idea largely prevails that He is restricted by His own laws. Men either deny or ignore His existence, or think to explain everything, even the operation of His Spirit upon the human heart; and they no longer reverence His name or fear His power. They do not believe in the supernatural, not understanding God's laws or His infinite power to work His will through them. As commonly used, the term "laws of nature" comprises what men have been able to discover with regard to the laws that govern the physical world; but how limited is their knowledge, and how vast the field in which the Creator can work in harmony with His own laws and yet wholly beyond the comprehension of finite beings! {PP 114.3}

Many teach that matter possesses vital power--that certain properties are imparted to matter, and it is then left to act through its own inherent energy; and that the operations of nature are conducted in harmony with fixed laws, with which God Himself cannot interfere. This is false science, and is not sustained by the word of God. Nature is the servant of her Creator. God does not annul His laws or work contrary to them, but He is continually using them as His instruments. Nature testifies of an intelligence, a presence, an active energy, that works in and through her laws. There is in nature the continual working of the Father and the Son. Christ says, "My Father worketh hitherto, and I work." John 5:17.
{PP 114.4}. . . . .God is the foundation of everything. All true science is in harmony with His works; all true education leads to obedience to His government. Science opens new wonders to our view; she soars high, and explores new depths; but she brings nothing from her research that conflicts with divine revelation. Ignorance may seek to support false views of God by appeals to science, but the book of nature and the written word shed light upon each other.
We are thus led to adore the Creator and to have an intelligent trust in His word. {PP 115.2}

No finite mind can fully comprehend the existence, the power, the wisdom, or the works of the Infinite One. Says the sacred writer: "Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection? It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know? The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea." Job 11:7-9. The mightiest intellects of earth cannot comprehend God. Men may be ever searching, ever learning, and still there is an infinity beyond. {PP 116.1}

Yet the works of creation testify of God's power and greatness. "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork." Psalm 19:1. Those who take the written word as their counselor will find in science an aid to understand God. "The invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead." Romans 1:20. {PP 116.2}

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/15/07 07:13 PM

I would say that what crater quoted is the scientific method.

By the way, Rosangela will most likely not have Internet access over the next ten days, therefore, if you don't hear from her until then, you will know why.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/16/07 03:49 AM

This discussion has arisen above my level of intelligence so I'll bow out now.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/16/07 03:57 PM

Then you are saying that you don't have an intelligent answer to the quote crater provided?

What else does EGW have to say about the Bible in her own inspired writings?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/16/07 04:30 PM

That's exactly what I am saying.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/16/07 04:43 PM

Darius,

In that case, I personally thank you for your admission, and your willingness to admit to such a thing. \:\)

The EGW quote that crater posted here testifies to the fact that God is indeed the real author of the Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/16/07 06:11 PM

When did a human become the authority in deciding what the Creator has and has not done?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/16/07 07:35 PM

Well, aren't you also human?

Why was it that you seemed to be the authority in whether or not the Bible is the inspired written Word of God?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/16/07 09:46 PM

I simply pointed out the folly of defining a word very narrowly in order to fit a doctrinal position. There is not law that anyone MUST do what is wise.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/16/07 11:40 PM

In what way was what word defined very narrowly?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/17/07 04:26 AM

You have narrowly defined inspiration. To do so you have changed a text that says "All Scripture is given by ihspiration of God" into "Only the Christian Scripture is given by inspiration of God." This is a misuse of the biblical text and the only result can be confusion.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/17/07 05:19 PM

If we were to go along with your line of thinking about "All Scripture", then I guess we can also refer to the writings of EGW as part of this "All Scripture" reference, to which I would disagree, as EGW herself refers to her writings as the lesser light leading to the greater light, which she refers to as the Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/17/07 05:44 PM

"EGW herself refers to her writings as the lesser light leading to the greater light, which she refers to as the Bible."

Show me where EGW ever referred to the Bible as the greater light. Please do.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/17/07 07:25 PM

Here is the quote I was thinking about:
 Quote:

Relationship of E. G. White Writings to Bible--The Lesser Light.--Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light.--The Review and Herald, Jan. 20, 1903. (Quoted in Colporteur Ministry, p. 125.) {3SM 30.4}

The lesser light in this quote is in reference to the writings of EGW leading to the greater light in this quote is in reference to the Bible.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/19/07 08:55 PM

Daryl, you are reading into the quote something that is not there. It is your opinion that the greater light is the Bible. EGW did not say that. The fact is that both the Bible and the lesser light point to the greater light. That is what she is saying. The greater light is Christ.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/19/07 10:58 PM

Here is the quote I was thinking about:
 Quote:

Relationship of E. G. White Writings to Bible--The Lesser Light.--Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light.--The Review and Herald, Jan. 20, 1903. (Quoted in Colporteur Ministry, p. 125.) {3SM 30.4}

The lesser light in this quote is in reference to the writings of EGW leading to the greater light in this quote is in reference to the Bible.

While it is true that as long as Jesus was in the world he was the Light of the world John 9:5. He being the True light has had lesser lights such as John the immerser to show the way to him; John 1:8-10 "that was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world."

Jesus himself said "I am come a light into the world" John 12:46

In 2 Corinthians 4:3-5 it says "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

We also have our lights that we are admoished to let shine and not hide under a bushel Matthew 5: 14-16 .

Philippians 2:15 says: "That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;"

So we could say that Jesus is the Greater Light, but he is no longer in this world, so his people are a lesser light to shine out his Truth to the world; of the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord.

As David said, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

But I have to agree with you here Daryl that in the quote you have given, Ellen appears to be speaking of her writtings leading back to the reading of the Bible. (her writings as well as the Bible lead to Jesus).

Reading the quote of Ellen it in it's context helps shed some "light".

Quote:
Sister White is not the originator of these books. They contain the instruction that during her life-work God has been giving her. They contain the precious, comforting light that God has graciously given his servant to be given to the world. From their pages this light is to shine into the hearts of men and women, leading them to the Saviour. The Lord has declared that these books are to be scattered throughout the world. There is in them truth which to the receiver is a savor of life unto life. They are silent witnesses for God. In the past they have been the means in his hands of convicting and converting many souls. Many have read them with eager expectation, and, by reading them, have been led to see the efficacy of Christ's atonement, and to trust in its power. They have been led to commit the keeping of their souls to their Creator, waiting and hoping for the coming of the Saviour to take his loved ones to their eternal home. In the future, these books are to make the gospel plain to many others, revealing to them the way of salvation. {RH, January 20, 1903 par. 8}

The Lord has sent his people much instruction, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, and there a little. Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light. O, how much good would be accomplished if the books containing this light were read with a determination to carry out the principles they contain! There would be a thousandfold greater vigilance, a thousandfold more self-denial and resolute effort. And many more would now be rejoicing in the light of present truth. {RH, January 20, 1903 par. 9}

My brethren and sisters, work earnestly to circulate these books. Put your hearts into this work, and the blessing of God will be with you. Go forth in faith, praying that God will prepare hearts to receive the light. Be pleasant and courteous. Show by a consistent course that you are true Christians. Walk and work in the light of heaven, and your path will be as the path of the just, shining more and more unto the perfect day. {RH, January 20, 1903 par. 10}
Regarding what Ellen says regarding her writings; They contain the precious, comforting light that God has graciously given his servant to be given to the world. From their pages this light is to shine into the hearts of men and women, leading them to the Saviour. . . . Then she goes on to say, Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light. O, how much good would be accomplished if the books containing this light were read with a determination to carry out the principles they contain! Is she not talking about her books here as a lesser light then the Bible the greater light of our path to the Creator?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/20/07 02:38 AM

Yes, crater, it is evident to me that EGW is referring to her writings as the lesser light and the Bible as the greater light.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/20/07 08:59 AM

They contain the precious, comforting light that God has graciously given his servant to be given to the world. From their pages this light is to shine into the hearts of men and women, leading them to the Saviour. . . . Then she goes on to say, Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light.

I don't see how you gentlemen can read the above and miss the message. Note the equivalence. She first says that her writing work by "leading them to the Savior," then speaks of the lesser light "to lead men and women to the greater light." "Little heed is given to the Bible" is a clear reference to the statement by Jesus that the Scriptures "are they which testify of me." If men had given heed to the Bible they would have been led to the Savior and the lesser light would not have been needed.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/20/07 05:13 PM

Yes, in relation to Christ, He is the Greater Light and His followers are the lesser light, just as in relation to the writings of EGW in that quote, her writings are the lesser light and the Bible is the Greater Light.

Both in their different way represent the lesser light leading to the greater light.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/21/07 01:20 AM

It is obvious that the most important thing is to be right. We will twist the language anyway we can to avoid saying, "I was wrong about this." That's too bad.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/31/07 03:37 PM

I guess that settles that.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/31/07 10:52 PM

Quote:
I don't get your question about the scientific method.

Darius, I had said:
>>If I'm not mistaken, you believe that the Word of God is also in the books of Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc. When there is a conflict between what all these books say, which is right and which is wrong?<<

To which you replied:
>>Thankfully, the Creator has given us a standard method for choosing between the options. It is called the scientific method.<<

I then asked:
>>One book says that the dead know nothing and that "it is appointed for men to die once, and after that comes judgment"; the other book says there are innumerable reincarnations. What does the scientific method say about it?<<

What I mean is: one book says that there is just one life and one opportunity of salvation, while the other says people live several lives through reincarnation. One book says that there is a personal God, while the other (for instance, in Buddhism) says there is no God. One book says Christ is God, while the other (for instance, the Koran) says Christ is not God. How can the scientific method help me choose between the options? (Since science says nothing about this.)

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 07/31/07 11:08 PM

Quote:
Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light.

Darius,

Don’t you think it’s a bit strained to make a comparison between a Person and books, saying that the Person is the greater light and the books (which are not the primary revelation about Him) are the lesser light? Don’t you think it would be much more natural to compare the Book (a primary revelation about Him) with the books (a secondary revelation about Him)?

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 08/04/07 05:59 AM

Rosangela, science is not the same as the scientific method. The scientific method can be applied to any discipline or area of knowledge. Sometimes the scientific method has to conclude that we cannot know what we want to know.

Regarding your examples, why would you want to explain the Creator? How can you explain a Being who is invisible? What would you do with the information if you had it? All religions err in their attempts to explain what they cannot measure or manipulate. Even the Bible declares that if we want to know the Creator we should study what He made (Rom. 1:20) and the scientific method is designed for that purpose. Remember that man was made in the image of his Creator.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 08/04/07 06:02 AM

Rosangala, how can you ignore the context she established when she spoke of her books leading men to the Savior. That is the most important psrt of the quotation. This reminds of Jesus' remark to the Jews who search the Scriptures for in them they THINK they have eternal life but they testify of HIM. This is why she then says that her books are the lesser light to lead to the greater light. She did not say her books lead to the Bible. They lead to the Savior.

Re: Is God The Real Author Of The Bible (The Scriptures)? - 06/22/10 11:11 PM

I saw that this was being looked at in the Who's OnLine area, therefore, I clicked on it to see what was last posted.

Can we say that the question title of this thread was answered, or are we still looking for an answer to this question?

Thoughts anybody?
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church