Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer

Posted By: John H.

Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 04/28/04 02:45 AM

This story's all over the web, but this particular MSNBC article has an interesting satellite photo of the area in question --

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4838007/

National Geographic has the man putting together the expedition as saying,

"We're telling people we're 98 percent sure," said McGivern, a member of the Hawaii Christian Coalition. "In one image we saw the beams, saw the wood. I'm convinced that the excavation of the object and the results of tests run on any collected samples will prove that it is Noah's ark."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0427_040427_noahsark.html

Apparently the explorers believe that the heat wave in Europe last summer ("the hottest summer in Europe since 1500") uncovered the ark, by melting off a lot of the ice on the slopes of Mt. Ararat.

[edit -- changed "MSN" to "MSNBC". They're cousins, but not the same.]

[ April 27, 2004, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: John ]
Posted By: Daryl

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 04/28/04 03:08 AM

I will be following this with the greatest of interest, therefore, let us keep a watch for any further updates.
Posted By: debbie

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/01/04 06:47 AM

I am also very interested in learning more about this topic. We heard a man from our area (who last summer was in Turkey) who said they found the Ark of Noah!! His name is Roger Blood. He showed lots of slides and it did look like something like a large ship was there but I was not totally convinced by the pictures.

Please keep us updated!

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/13/04 02:36 AM

I was given a newspaper type paper the other day in which the headlines states:

quote:

Government confirms: "This is Noah's Ark.

ON June 20, 1987, the Turkish Government established the new 'Noah's Ark National Park,' following confirmatioon by a Govt commission of the investigative work on a site by the American Ronald E Wyatt......

Beside this is a colour picture showing a picture of the ark on the left side of the picture with a visitors center building on the right side of the picture.

http://www.wyattmuseum.com/images/wpe24.jpg

Below the link above of the same picture in this newspaper is written:

quote:

Noah's Ark - The gov't. declared it a national park and built this visitors center.

So which one is true?

Can't the one I posted here be easily confirmed or refuted?

Check out this site for more information:

http://www.wyattmuseum.com/noahs-ark-07.htm

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/13/04 07:27 AM

I've always thought that Ron Wyatt's claims were questionable at best. Among other things, he claims to have:

• found the ark of the covenant

• held the stone tables of the Ten Commandments in his own two hands

• found samples of Jesus' blood shed on Calvary, and ran DNA tests on it showing that Jesus had 24 chromosomes (we all have 46); 23 from Mary and one Y chromosome from God to make Him a male

• found the exact spot where the Israelites crossed the Red Sea

• found a chariot wheel belonging to Pharaoh's army, in 200 feet of water at the bottom of the Red Sea

• found a house built by Noah

• found Noah's burial place

• found the sites of Sodom and Gomorrah

• found the 12 pillars erected by Moses in Exodus 24

• found the spot where the ground swallowed up Korah and his followers

Besides, some of his claims about himself in a biography his PR firm used to distribute were found to be false. Degrees held, university attended, military service, etc.
Posted By: Ikan

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/13/04 03:10 PM

Your right, John. Wyatt is bogus: we had checked him out quite thouroughly years ago, and I have kept some of his very expensive materials he sold (he is dead now) as reference.

Don't waste too much time on his claims...it is geared towards the naive and gullible.

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/13/04 04:25 PM

As this particular topic is on Noah's Ark, I want to focus our discussion on that particular claim of the now deceased Ron Wyatt.

I am in agreement with you, as I am also questioning the truth of all of this, however, on account of those being caught up in this within the church, we should be able to either confirm or refute this should we not, especially where the Turkish government was supposed to have declared it a national park?

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/15/04 03:46 AM

Searching around the net, it does look like the Turkish gov't. built a visitors center at that site.

quote:
"Leadbetter's interest in the Noah's Ark site began after he met an amateur archeologist from Nashville, Tenn., Ron Wyatt. Wyatt, who traveled through the mountains of Turkey many times in the '70s and '80s was convinced he had found Noah's Ark and was instrumental in helping to set up the visitors center presently located at the site."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=17090

All that really means is that Ron Wyatt was a very persuasive man, as many who knew him can attest!

But comparing the picture you linked above,

http://www.wyattmuseum.com/images/wpe24.jpg

with the ones at this site -

http://www.bibleplus.org/discoveries/noahsark.htm

It's pretty obvious that the first photo has been doctored with PhotoShop or some similar program.
Posted By: Ikan

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/15/04 05:31 PM

Your right, John. I work with Photoshop alot, and these pictures look "tweeked" to me.

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/16/04 12:08 AM

I understand this was also video-taped.

Has anybody seen any of these video tapes?
Posted By: Restin

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/22/04 12:59 AM

Regarding the "ship" near the Visitor Center, it doesn't take rocket science to see it's way too small. Read in Genesis about the ark demensions and it was of tremendous size. [Roll Eyes]

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/22/04 05:21 AM

Somebody in the Turkish gov't. must not be too convinced about that site either. If they really, truly thought that was the genuine ark, it doesn't seem like they'd be granting permits for another expedition that's looking for the ark in an entirely different location!
Posted By: Will

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/22/04 08:45 AM

God reveals to us that the ark rested on the mountains of Ararat, and not on Mount Ararat. Meaning somewhere in the mountain range of Ararat is where the ark is at.

quote:

Genesis 8:4
4 And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.

God Bless,
Will
Posted By: Gerry Buck

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 05/24/04 01:53 PM

Why does man spend so much time on the unimportant and so little on that which is important? [Confused]

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 07/07/04 11:44 PM

Well, it would be a great witness to the world if someone could find the ark and show enough evidence that it actually was the ark. But it's questionable if that'll ever happen.

Now there's another group of Russian explorers that claims the ark rests in yet another location:

http://www.turkishpress.com/turkishpress/news.asp?ID=21795
Posted By: Shelley

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 07/23/04 07:20 AM

You are so right John. I often wonder, just with my own family members, what it would take to convince them that God truly exists. I guess even if it is Noah's Ark, there will still be those who are not going to be convinced.

Does anyone know when this expedition is going to take place?

[Smile] Shelley

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 08/18/04 05:10 PM

The original articles about this say that the McGivern group was to be in Turkey between July 15 and August 15; here it is August 18, so maybe we'll hear something soon.

Meanwhile, yet another group from New Zealand is making yet another trip to the Ron Wyatt site, in hopes of proving that it's the actual location of Noah's ark --

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3006047a4560,00.html

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 09/04/04 06:35 AM

It turns out the McGivern group won't be going after all, and neither will anyone else from the looks of things.
quote:
A Honolulu businessman's plan to take an expedition to Mount Ararat in search of Noah's Ark ended this week when the Turkish government refused to permit it because of security concerns about the area, which borders Iran and is 150 miles from Iraq. . . .

The plan was to start the expedition on July 15. As the summer wore on without government approval, McGivern continued to hold out hope, knowing the opportunity would be gone at the end of September when winter storms begin.

He said yesterday he learned that the Russian government also applied for a permit to explore the site and did not receive it. He heard of several other groups that jumped on the bandwagon after he revealed the pictures taken by DigitalGlobe, a commercial satellite imagery company, but none received Turkish permits.

McGivern said "This was the year," and he will not pursue the dream again. "I don't have Ark fever like many who go year after year."

http://starbulletin.com/2004/09/03/news/story9.html

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 09/03/04 11:44 PM

So much for that!
Posted By: Heading Home

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 09/04/04 02:15 AM

This is truely too bad. Same old story. It seems to lean to the fact that it is the correct place or else satan would not be trying so hard to stop people from entering it. Let us pray that if it is God's Will He will open up a way for the ark to be found. If the timing is right nothing will stop it. This is one thing we can depend on. [Wink] If the timing is right nothing will stop it.
Posted By: Kevin H

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 11/23/04 03:35 AM

As Christianity spread different countries wanted part of the Bible to have taken place in their country. Since most of it was clearly in Israel and Egypt and Messopotania, one point that was open was Mt. Ararat, and at this time countries claimed that the real Mt. Ararat was in their country. All these traditions date back only to the spread of Christianity.

As the crucaders travelled towards Jerusalem they passed one of these many Mt. Ararats, the one that happened to be in Turkey, and this is how this one became the famous one.

All we know about the mountains of Ararat from scriptures is that it is east from Babylon, and our mountain in Turkey is north and I think somewhat west of Babylon.
Posted By: Boblee

Re: Explorers Plan Noah's Ark Search This Summer - 11/24/04 07:17 AM

In response to John's suggestion about why the ark expeditions are being thwarted, there may be another reason for the delay.

It seems likely that Noah installed some of the technology of his day in the ark. If the ark is discovered too soon, the discoverers could well inadvertently damage or even destroy some of that technology. Or on the other hand, use the technology to develop devices or weapons which God is not yet ready for us to rediscover. It's not likely that George Hagopian would have damaged much when he walked through the ark as a ten year old boy, but antediluvian technology could well be so sophisticated that even more recent explorers would fail to recognize it as valuable. Consider, for example, what we would do with a roll of wire such as was used on wire voice recorders or a DVDisc. It's been suggested, for instance, that crystals were used as a recording medium using Bragg diffraction. If so, we wouldn't recognize it even yet.

RL
© 2024 Maritime 2nd Advent Christian Believers OnLine Forums Consisting Mainly of Both Members & Friends of the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) Church