HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 32 of 55 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100438
07/02/08 04:46 PM
07/02/08 04:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Originally Posted By: scott
Tom, from what you've posted thus far it seems pretty clear you believe Jesus "permitted" sinning in the Law of Moses. Is this true, or have I misunderstood you?

That is a strange question. This whole life experience from Adam until now shows that God permits sin. It also shows that God forgives sins. It also shows that God heals the damage that sin does.

Your question is absurd according to the Bible!

scott

Scott, you might be surprised to learn that I do not appreciate your criticism. It is unChristlike. I have never heard of Jesus criticizing a sincere seeker. Please strive to imitate the character of Christ by not being critical. Thank you.

PS - Please do not misunderstand my request. I am not trying to be "holier-than-thou". Tom, has often had to remind me to be like Jesus, and it has been helpful in motivating me to strive to be like Jesus. So, I mean no offense in passing on the good advice. Blessings.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100443
07/02/08 05:21 PM
07/02/08 05:21 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By MM: Jesus wasn't modifying the law of Moses when He said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." The law of Moses didn't require people to be sinless to participate in executing capital punishment. Besides, repentance results in pardon making people sinless in the eyes of God.

If Christ didn’t modify the law of Moses then how do you handle these texts:

Colossians 2: 13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Galatians 3: 23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Hebrews 8: 13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Matthew 5: 38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. 43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

2 Corinthians 3: 7Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100444
07/02/08 05:24 PM
07/02/08 05:24 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Tom, from what you've posted thus far it seems pretty clear you believe Jesus "permitted" sinning in the Law of Moses. Is this true, or have I misunderstood you?

That is a strange question. This whole life experience from Adam until now shows that God permits sin. It also shows that God forgives sins. It also shows that God heals the damage that sin does.

Your question is absurd according to the Bible!

scott

Scott, you might be surprised to learn that I do not appreciate your criticism. It is unChristlike. I have never heard of Jesus criticizing a sincere seeker. Please strive to imitate the character of Christ by not being critical. Thank you.

PS - Please do not misunderstand my request. I am not trying to be "holier-than-thou". Tom, has often had to remind me to be like Jesus, and it has been helpful in motivating me to strive to be like Jesus. So, I mean no offense in passing on the good advice. Blessings.

I'm sorry MM!

No honest question is absurd and it was rude of me to say that!
Please accept my apology!

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100445
07/02/08 05:40 PM
07/02/08 05:40 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By MM: What do you mean? Are you suggesting Jesus commanded Moses to stone the guy to death because the Jews' conscience was deteriorated? If so, then doesn't this imply Jesus compromised to accommodate sin? Why didn't He take the opportunity to command Moses not to kill the guy? By the way, where does it say his family was stoned, too?

Yes, exactly! Had the Jews been in concert with God’s heart stoning would be out of the question. This was a society raise and nurtured on force and power. Had Moses not threatened them with their lives they would have gone out of control.

I have a friend who works in prison ministries who told a group of bible students in prison that if he were to show mercy and lead every inmate out of the prison we would find his dead body two blocks away. People who are controlled by fear and passion can’t be reasoned with. These were not your everyday Americans.

My point is that we look at the OT and judge God’s character and draw conclusions that God kills at will, that God manipulates, that God uses his power to drive people into submission, that God commits genocide, that God . . . (you fill in the blank), but what I’m trying to express is that the law of Moses doesn’t tell us what God is like or what God would do, but what we are like, what corners we back ourselves into where killing for justice is the only way out, what we think of as justice, what we expect from our Creator God.

Thus I say that the OT says much more about our condition than it does about God’s character.

You can hold my words to the fire all you like, call me a heretic or infidel, but remember that Jesus was condemned to death by men finding Him guilty of breaking the laws of Moses. They couldn’t see where Christ reflected their image of God that they derived from Moses’ writings.

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100447
07/02/08 05:50 PM
07/02/08 05:50 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By scott: Let me ask you this question: Had the Father commanded Jesus to call fire down from heaven to punish those cities who scorned His disciples do you think Jesus would have killed them? Or would Jesus have questioned whose voice He was hearing?

By MM: Jesus would have obeyed the voice of His Father. He was never confused about His Father's voice. Why do you ask?

Jesus said in John that everything He said and did was from the Father. You insist that God doesn’t change, but Jesus never killed anyone, but forgave even those murdering Him. He forgave and showed mercy to every kind of sinner that the laws of Moses told us to kill. Why do you insist that Jesus’ revelation of God is only a partial one showing one side of God and the OT is Jesus showing another side of God.

Hebrews 1 tells us that “1In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. 3The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.”

That phrase “exact representation” is the Greek word “char-ak-ter” which makes the text say: “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact character of his being”

Why do you not submit your image of God to what Christ revealed rather than what the prophets revealed? God spoke through the prophets, but is now speaking through His Son who is the exact character of God. Doesn’t that say that the prophets did not represent God’s character as good as Jesus did?

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100472
07/03/08 06:25 AM
07/03/08 06:25 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Quote:
By MM: Jesus wasn't modifying the law of Moses when He said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." The law of Moses didn't require people to be sinless to participate in executing capital punishment. Besides, repentance results in pardon making people sinless in the eyes of God.

Colossians 2: 13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Galatians 3: 23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Hebrews 8: 13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Matthew 5: 38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. 43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

2 Corinthians 3: 7Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Scott,

SOME NEEDED BACKGROUND:
This starts, once again, a whole new debate. I am frequently, in these online discussions, drawn to the fact that they have originated because of the modern translations of the Bible which have introduced changes to the text. While you may choose to support your views from the NIV Bible, I have studied the changes its translators made sufficiently to consider it pariah.

No one should tell anyone else what Bible to use. I will not tell you what Bible to use. I will, however, declare strongly to you that if you wish to convince me, you will not use the NIV, for I do not accept it. To me, in all seriousness, it stands for "Never Inspired Version." Here are the versions I most frequently accept: KJV, NKJV, ASV, and occasionally, depending on the verse, another version--or perhaps another language. I recognize that no version is perfect--and this includes those in the original languages. We know that the scribes introduced some changes along the way, and the originals do not exist. Even if they existed, they were written by men, and not by God Himself, in the sinful language of men.

ADDRESSING THE QUESTION NOW:
The term "canceled the written code" does not exist in other versions of the Bible such as the KJV. In the KJV, the term "ordinances" is found, and that correlates to the same term in the OT. However, in the NIV, there are but three other verses containing the term "written code." All three are in the New Testament, leaving no bridges to its historical, Old Testament, equivalent. Would you like to tell me how you interpret "written code?" Basically, the NIV translators have opened up a free-for-all on this term, since it occurs but four times in their book. Perhaps they hope you will think it applies to the entire law of Moses? Most people, unfortunately, seem led to this assumption through the reading in the NIV. And why shouldn't they be? Compare the NIV reading of Ephesians 2:15:

"...by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations." (Never Inspired Version)

Jesus said He came not to destroy the law. The NIV came to do the opposite! Whereas the KJV is clear that the commandments abolished were only those which were contained in the ordinances (kept in the side of the ark, not the tables of stone inside), the NIV would have you believe that the entire "law with its commandments and regulations" was abolished.

So, when you asked this:

"If Christ didn’t modify the law of Moses then how do you handle these texts:"

...I reply that the texts you have used are mistranslated and deceitful. The NIV opens up MULTIPLE contradictions within the scripture, and this is just one of them. This one contradiction, however, is arguably having the greatest impact upon the trends in "modern theology" which we are seeing today.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100473
07/03/08 01:03 PM
07/03/08 01:03 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hi GC,

We can study it in the Greek and Hebrew if you like, but it might be a little hard on those peeking in!

But you will find that it is the whole Old Covenant including the whole Law of Moses, the 10 Commandments (particularly), the feasts, the ceremonies, the earthly priesthood, the earthly sacrifice, and everything that Moses included in Exodus 19-24.

This is what the NT teaches. Butler taught that it was only the ceremonial law, Jones and Waggoner taught that it was only the 10 Commandments, and Ellen saw it as both the ceremonial law and primarily the 10 Commandments.

But the Bible simply states that the system that was becoming obsolete because Christ had fulfilled it was the Old Covenant (all inclusive of all its parts).

It doesn’t matter to me what translation you want to use because I use the Greek and Hebrew to do my studies!

scott

Last edited by scott; 07/03/08 01:04 PM.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100474
07/03/08 01:15 PM
07/03/08 01:15 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA

Quote:
by GC: Jesus said He came not to destroy the law. The NIV came to do the opposite! Whereas the KJV is clear that the commandments abolished were only those which were contained in the ordinances (kept in the side of the ark, not the tables of stone inside), the NIV would have you believe that the entire "law with its commandments and regulations" was abolished.

Hi GC,

Do you think that the Laws of Moses that were put in the side of the Ark included a copy of the same 10 Commandments that were written in stone? In other words is Genesis 19-24 the actually laws of Moses that were a record of the covenant that God entered with Israel?

And do you think that the 10 Commandments were the standard of righteousness within the Laws of Moses?

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100478
07/03/08 04:31 PM
07/03/08 04:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

MM: I suppose this applies to the ceremonial services. But does it mean the entire law of Moses was eliminated?

MM: Isn't this referring to the 10Cs? If so, then it certainly cannot mean the law is no longer useful. The law is a transcript of God's character, as such, it is immutable and eternal, right?

MM: I suppose this is referring to the ceremonial aspects of the law.

MM: What Jesus said was inherent in the law of Moses.

MM: This certainly isn't saying the law is no longer binding.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100479
07/03/08 04:35 PM
07/03/08 04:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
By MM: What do you mean? Are you suggesting Jesus commanded Moses to stone the guy to death because the Jews' conscience was deteriorated? If so, then doesn't this imply Jesus compromised to accommodate sin? Why didn't He take the opportunity to command Moses not to kill the guy? By the way, where does it say his family was stoned, too?

Yes, exactly! Had the Jews been in concert with God’s heart stoning would be out of the question. This was a society raise and nurtured on force and power. Had Moses not threatened them with their lives they would have gone out of control.

I have a friend who works in prison ministries who told a group of bible students in prison that if he were to show mercy and lead every inmate out of the prison we would find his dead body two blocks away. People who are controlled by fear and passion can’t be reasoned with. These were not your everyday Americans.

My point is that we look at the OT and judge God’s character and draw conclusions that God kills at will, that God manipulates, that God uses his power to drive people into submission, that God commits genocide, that God . . . (you fill in the blank), but what I’m trying to express is that the law of Moses doesn’t tell us what God is like or what God would do, but what we are like, what corners we back ourselves into where killing for justice is the only way out, what we think of as justice, what we expect from our Creator God.

Thus I say that the OT says much more about our condition than it does about God’s character.

You can hold my words to the fire all you like, call me a heretic or infidel, but remember that Jesus was condemned to death by men finding Him guilty of breaking the laws of Moses. They couldn’t see where Christ reflected their image of God that they derived from Moses’ writings.

Scott, you have made some pretty strong claims. Please support them with inspired statements. Thank you.

PS - You didn't address each point I raised. Would you mind?

Page 32 of 55 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!