HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 71 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100559
07/04/08 07:36 PM
07/04/08 07:36 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By MM: I'm sorry, Scott, I still don't get your point. "They misunderstood [1] this and [2] believed that God wanted them to keep the law to earn salvation. So [3] the covenant that God offered wasn’t [4] the one they agreed to." Please explain to me the following points (also, please post inspired quotes to support your explanations):

1. What did they misunderstand?

2. Where does it say this?

3. What did God offer them?

4. What did they think they were agreeing to?

1) What did they misunderstand?

They misunderstood what God was trying to do with them when they agreed to the OC. God wanted to train them to be His evangelists and they thought God was making terms they must obey in order to be saved. God wanted them to see His wisdom in the “instructions” and obey them with a greatful heart because He had just freed them from Bondage and saved them from their enemies.

2) Where does it say this?

This is what the Jew still believe today! Write “Ask a Rabbi” and ask what the terms of salvation are and they will tell you to keep the laws of Moses!

3) What did God offer them?

A chance to become a light to the world through good health, good relationships, fair government, clean living, and simply a life full of joy and peace.

4) What did they think they were agreeing to?

They thought God was giving them things to do in order to be saved. They were already saved!

Paul puts it this way in Galatians 3:
 Quote:
15 Brethren, I speak in the manner of men: Though it is only a man’s covenant, yet if it is confirmed, no one annuls or adds to it. 16 Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,” who is Christ. 17 And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect. 18 For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

What God established with Israel 430 years after He made the promise to Abraham doesn’t make His promise to Abraham void.

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100599
07/06/08 01:15 AM
07/06/08 01:15 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: scott
Hi Tom,

I think you are wasting your breath on GC. You two obviously don't agree on who has authority. GC refuses to consider Paul and Waggoner when they disagree with his theology.

The fact is that Paul is the only systematic theology we have on the Old and New Covenants. Throw him out and one can believe what they want.

The Jews don't believe Paul and they still believe that they can bargain with God, meet the terms of the covenant, and earn their salvation.

If GC doesn't accept the 1888 message what could you possibly say that would have an influence on him?

scott

Scott,

You're mighty brave to tell me what I think or don't think. In fact, more than brave, you are incorrect. I don't disagree with Paul. I have challenged you to prove your view on the covenants without his writings, not because I disagree with them, but because Paul's very writing style lends itself to misunderstandings, and in order to understand the issues properly, it greatly simplifies things to find the answers elsewhere first, and then compare to Paul to see how his statements fit the whole.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100600
07/06/08 01:19 AM
07/06/08 01:19 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
I don't consider Waggoner to have been fully correct in all of his ideas.

Yes, it seems you have ideas quite different than Waggoner's. It seems to me that Waggoner's ideas were correct during the time when EGW was endorsing him.

Quote:
It is rather unfortunate, but when the church rejected a message God had inspired him to give, he later apostatized, and rejected the truth.

EGW has something interesting to say about that:

Quote:
It is quite possible that Elder Jones or Waggoner may be overthrown by the temptations of the enemy; but if they should be, this would not prove that they had had no message from God, or that the work that they had done was all a mistake. But should this happen, how many would take this position, and enter into a fatal delusion because they are not under the control of the Spirit of God. They walk in the sparks of their own kindling, and cannot distinguish between the fire they have kindled and the light which God has given, and they walk in blindness as did the Jews. (1888 Mat. 1044)

Quote:
I agree that Waggoner had much truth to share with the church at one point, but I don't know what point in time he may have written the statement you quote, nor whether this should represent the views of everyone, or of Mrs. White at that time.

The statement I quoted was written in 1895, which is during the time that EGW was endorsing him.

Quote:
In other words, I don't agree.

Clearly, since you believe Paul was not balanced.

Quote:
I believe there are four gospels for a reason. We would not get as complete a picture if there had been but one. Having four provides balance. I do not mean to say any one of them is wrong. But I do mean to say that not a one of them saw the full picture.

I agree with this. However, saying that someone is not balanced is not the same thing as saying such a one did not have the entire picture.

Quote:
There is one book in the New Testament which puts balance to Paul. We can be very thankful for that little book! If it were not for James, I should be lost in confusion right now myself.

The only way it seems possible to me that you could write this is by not understanding what Paul was saying. Waggoner's explanation of what Paul said seems to me spot on. To requote just a portion:

Quote:
Faith makes a man a doer of the law, for that is the meaning of the term "justification by faith." So in James we read that the works of Abraham simply showed the perfection of his faith. "And the Scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness." The apostle James, therefore, teaches the same kind of justification that Paul does. If he did not, one or the other or both of them would be discredited as apostles. Justification by faith which works is the only kind of justification known in the Bible.

Is there something about this with which you disagree?

Tom,

Like Scott, you're quite brave to tell me what I believe...and like him, you are also incorrect.

I accept the 1888 message as having been inspired. My question was whether the statement you quoted from Waggoner were given before or after his apostasy. Makes a difference, doesn't it? C. S. Lewis also experienced more than one phase of his life, in which his writing styles were quite different. It makes a difference in which era he wrote as to whether or not there is much credibility with it from a Christian standpoint.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100603
07/06/08 02:02 AM
07/06/08 02:02 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Greetings to all,

Not having yet taken the time to read this thread from the beginning, but having just been invited to participate here, let me begin by stating my "big picture" of the covenants.

1) The covenants began from the beginning, but the first clear mention is the word given to Noah.
2) The covenant was later renewed to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob (Israel).
3) Each time the covenant is reiterated, it is developed further, with some fresh addition to God's promise.
4) The covenant is renewed with the descendants of Jacob following the Exodus.
5) The covenant continues to be mentioned through the Old Testament and on into the New.
6) The words "oath", "promise", "word", "commandments", and "testimonies" are used in conjunction with God's covenant. In modern language, perhaps the best equivalent would be "Treaty." It represents a mutual promise.
7) God has always kept His side of the treaty.
8) We have failed on our side of it, and broken the covenant with God.
9) The covenant that God made in the beginning is the same covenant today. It can be summed up simply to say: Keep God's commandments, and God will bless you.
10) The covenant was made with everyone on earth, not just a select group.
11) The only difference that the "New Testament" makes with the covenant, is that it seeks an even greater fulfillment in our lives; moving from a mere "head knowledge" to a "heart knowledge," or more specifically, from belief to action.
12) We are to be a covenant-keeping people.

I would be happy to provide scriptural support to any of these points, but for the sake of brevity, I have omitted them this time until someone so requests.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

This is so unbiblical I don't even know where to start!

Quote:
GC: 1) The covenants began from the beginning, but the first clear mention is the word given to Noah. 2) The covenant was later renewed to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob (Israel).

Do you get your theology from the Bible? All God promised Noah is that He would save Him from a flood and never flood the earth again! Noah was a type of Christ in that He saved all who would enter the ark, but if you compare what God said to Noah to what He said to Abraham there is very little in common other that “God said”.

You have obviously heard someone say that there was only one covenant and you believed them and now you are set out to cram the round peg into the square hole. Since you didn’t get your view from the Bible please allow me to paste the whole covenant between God and Noah here:

Quote:
Genesis 9: 8 Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying: 9 “And as for Me, behold, I establish My covenant with you and with your descendants after you, 10 and with every living creature that is with you: the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you, of all that go out of the ark, every beast of the earth. 11 Thus I establish My covenant with you: Never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood; never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.”
12 And God said: “This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” 17 And God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

[b]I would love to see the non existent biblical support that links Noah’s covenant to Abraham’s.

scott

Scott,

Request granted. I will show you the "non-existent biblical support that links Noah's covenant to Abraham's."

Yes, I get my theology from the Bible. I hope I can get my attitude from there too. If you believe that the only thing "God promised Noah is that He would save Him from a flood and never flood the earth again!", then I have the opportunity to open the Bible to you more fully.

If you wish to belittle the importance of God's covenant with Noah, then you will certainly not be looking for the beauty in it. However, I'm thankful today that God has kept his covenant with Noah, and still does. The covenant still applies to us today, does it not?

Now, the first important thing to notice is how God speaks of this covenant with Noah: "My covenant." Whose covenant is it? It is God's. How does God present it? "And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth." (Genesis 9:11, KJV)

God is making more than one promise here: 1) He will establish His covenant with Noah, 2) All flesh will not perish in a flood again, and 3) There will not be another flood to cover the whole earth.

You will notice that, throughout the Bible, God keeps referring to His covenant as "My covenant." I don't see Him saying things like "My first covenant", "My second covenant", "My third covenant." If you wish to dissect them into separate covenants, I suppose I cannot stop you. However, just as there are separate laws given throughout the Bible, they all point back to just one law--which can be summed up in one word: "Love." It is the same with the covenants. They are all made of the same metal, upon the same anvil.

What is the main message of God's covenant to Noah? Ellen White describes this part nicely.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White

Lest the gathering clouds and falling rain should fill men with constant terror, from fear of another flood, the Lord encouraged the family of Noah by a promise: "I will establish My covenant with you; . . . neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. . . . I do set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between Me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud. . . . And I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature." {PP 106.1}
[Patriarchs and Prophets (1890)]

With the assurance given to Noah concerning the Flood, God Himself has linked one of the most precious promises of His grace: "As I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee. For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but My kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of My peace be removed, saith Jehovah that hath mercy on thee." Isaiah 54:9, 10. {PP 107.2}

So, here are the things in common between the covenants of Noah and Abraham, besides simply "God said":
1) "My covenant" -- God calls them the same thing.
2) A sign or token is given in both as God's seal of promise.
3) The covenant shows God's love and mercy in both presentations.
4) Both covenants extend their prophetic promise to the future--to all descendants.
5) Both covenants are still in effect today with us: they were both given "everlasting" properties. (The covenant to Noah says "no more" and to Abraham "everlasting.")

Now, the fact that God's Covenant has existed from the beginning is referenced in this inspired commentary:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White

Says the prophet, "When Thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. Let favor be showed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness, . . . and will not behold the majesty of Jehovah." Isaiah 26:9, 10. Thus it was after the Flood. Released from His judgments, the inhabitants of the earth again rebelled against the Lord. Twice God's covenant and His statutes had been rejected by the world. Both the people before the Flood and the descendants of Noah cast off the divine authority. Then God entered into covenant with Abraham, and took to Himself a people to become the depositaries of His law.... {PP 120.3} [Patriarchs and Prophets (1890)]

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #100606
07/06/08 02:34 AM
07/06/08 02:34 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hi GC,

I reread my last post and, again, I sound very harsh. Without trying to make excuses for my harshness I would like to tell you that I'm a very blunt person. I don't beat around the bush and many times people mistake my bluntness for rudeness. God save my speech. I like to get right to the point. This being said I apologize that I've offended you and I promise to try very hard to be more attentive to my attitude and bluntness.

Now to the subject.

First: You gave me no biblical support at all unless you consider Ellen as part of the cannon of scripture.

Second: The text you use (gen. 9:11) linking "My Covenant" to all of God's covenants because God showed "grace" is like saying that a watermelon is the same as a cucumber because they are both green.

If God is Love and His love is expressed in His gracefulness then any covenant God makes will be a covenant of Grace.

Quote:
by GC: You will notice that, throughout the Bible, God keeps referring to His covenant as "My covenant." I don't see Him saying things like "My first covenant", "My second covenant", "My third covenant." If you wish to dissect them into separate covenants, I suppose I cannot stop you. However, just as there are separate laws given throughout the Bible, they all point back to just one law--which can be summed up in one word: "Love." It is the same with the covenants. They are all made of the same metal, upon the same anvil.

Actually both the NT and the OT talk about 2 covenants. One being called the first which is replaced by a better one built on better promises. This is found in Jeremiah 31, Ezekiel 36, and Paul apply it in Hebrews 8.

So far none of your evidence is very convincing. I do have much more to say about your other points, but I don’t have time right now. Later!

God Bless

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #100607
07/06/08 02:42 AM
07/06/08 02:42 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Hi Tom,

I think you are wasting your breath on GC. You two obviously don't agree on who has authority. GC refuses to consider Paul and Waggoner when they disagree with his theology.

The fact is that Paul is the only systematic theology we have on the Old and New Covenants. Throw him out and one can believe what they want.

The Jews don't believe Paul and they still believe that they can bargain with God, meet the terms of the covenant, and earn their salvation.

If GC doesn't accept the 1888 message what could you possibly say that would have an influence on him?

scott

Scott,

You're mighty brave to tell me what I think or don't think. In fact, more than brave, you are incorrect. I don't disagree with Paul. I have challenged you to prove your view on the covenants without his writings, not because I disagree with them, but because Paul's very writing style lends itself to misunderstandings, and in order to understand the issues properly, it greatly simplifies things to find the answers elsewhere first, and then compare to Paul to see how his statements fit the whole.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Hi GC,

I've just given you my version of what I hear. If it doesn't reflect what you believe or said then you might want to read your post from an objective position. Many times I run into the same problem. I know what I want to say, but others hear me differently. Communication is enhanced by both parties repeating what they hear from the other party. Why are you so offended in what I hear? Are you really convinced that it is all in my hearing and nothing to do with what you said?

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100608
07/06/08 03:38 AM
07/06/08 03:38 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Scott,

I often assume that others have the same tools to work from, the same textbook so to speak, as I do. Perhaps I should not assume thus. Here are the texts you asked for, with some highlighting etc. for readability, and with some texts shortened to save space:

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible
But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee. (Genesis 6:18, KJV)

And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you; (Genesis 9:9, KJV

And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. (Genesis 9:11, KJV)

And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. (Genesis 9:15, KJV)

And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. (Genesis 17:2, KJV)

As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. (Genesis 17:4, KJV)

And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. (Genesis 17:7, KJV)

And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. (Genesis 17:9, KJV)

This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised. (Genesis 17:10, KJV)

He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. (Genesis 17:13, KJV)

And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant. (Genesis 17:14, KJV)

And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; ...and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him. (Genesis 17:19, KJV)

But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year. (Genesis 17:21, KJV)

And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers. (Exodus 6:4, KJV)

And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant. (Exodus 6:5, KJV)

Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: (Exodus 19:5, KJV)

For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, and establish my covenant with you. (Leviticus 26:9, KJV)

And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant: (Leviticus 26:15, KJV)

Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land. (Leviticus 26:42, KJV)

Wherefore say, Behold, I give unto him my covenant of peace: (Numbers 25:12, KJV)

And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring... and break my covenant which I have made with them. (Deuteronomy 31:16, KJV)

For when I shall have brought them into the land which I sware ...then will they turn unto other gods, and serve them, and provoke me, and break my covenant. (Deuteronomy 31:20, KJV)

Israel hath sinned, and they have also transgressed my covenant which I commanded them: for they have even taken of the accursed thing, and have also stolen, and dissembled also, and they have put it even among their own stuff. (Joshua 7:11, KJV)

And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you. (Judges 2:1, KJV)

And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel; and he said, Because that this people hath transgressed my covenant which I commanded their fathers, and have not hearkened unto my voice; (Judges 2:20, KJV)

Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. (1 Kings 11:11, KJV)

But unto the wicked God saith, What hast thou to do to declare my statutes, or that thou shouldest take my covenant in thy mouth? (Psalms 50:16, KJV)

My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him. (Psalms 89:28, KJV)

My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. (Psalms 89:34, KJV)

If thy children will keep my covenant and my testimony that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore. (Psalms 132:12, KJV)

For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; (Isaiah 56:4, KJV)

Nevertheless I will remember my covenant with thee in the days of thy youth, and I will establish unto thee an everlasting covenant. (Ezekiel 16:60, KJV)

Thus saith the LORD; If ye can break my covenant of the day, and my covenant of the night, and that there should not be day and night in their season; (Jeremiah 33:20, KJV)

...the house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken my covenant which I made with their fathers. (Jeremiah 11:10, KJV)

As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever. (Isaiah 59:21, KJV)

Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; (Isaiah 56:6, KJV)

Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; As I live, surely mine oath that he hath despised, and my covenant that he hath broken, even it will I recompense upon his own head. (Ezekiel 17:19, KJV)

...which my covenant they brake, ...saith the LORD: (Jeremiah 31:32, KJV)

Thus saith the LORD; If my covenant be not with day and night...(Jeremiah 33:25, KJV)
...have transgressed my covenant,...(Jeremiah 34:18, KJV)
And I will establish my covenant with thee; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD: (Ezekiel 16:62, KJV)
...and they have broken my covenant because of all your abominations. (Ezekiel 44:7, KJV)
...because they have transgressed my covenant, and trespassed against my law. (Hosea 8:1, KJV)
...that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the LORD of hosts. (Malachi 2:4, KJV)
For this is my covenant unto them, .... (Romans 11:27, KJV)
....because they continued not in my covenant, ...saith the Lord. (Hebrews 8:9, KJV)

Three things should stand out in those texts above:

1) "My covenant"
2) "Everlasting"
3) Relationship of "statutes", "oath", "commandments" to "covenant."

For the "showing God's love and mercy" point, see below:
 Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible

My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name. (Malachi 2:5, KJV)

If you read carefully, there were several scriptures in my post which were used in support of my points. Why then do you say this?
 Quote:
First: You gave me no biblical support at all unless you consider Ellen as part of the cannon of scripture.

Please note that I will not always use Bible verses within the frame of a quote box. They may be within the text itself. Additionally, I ordinarily like to keep posts short by not quoting texts where their content appears to me to be obvious, common, abundant, or well-known.

In view of the sheer numbers of texts supporting my points (and I did not even quote them all), I have a hard time swallowing this statement you made:
 Quote:
Second: The text you use (gen. 9:11) linking "My Covenant" to all of God's covenants because God showed "grace" is like saying that a watermelon is the same as a cucumber because they are both green.

By the way, your "First:" and "Second:" points are in contradiction. You said that I didn't use scripture, and then recognize that I did! \:\) As my friends in college would have quipped: "Too eager! Too eager!"

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #100614
07/06/08 04:38 AM
07/06/08 04:38 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I don't disagree with Paul. I have challenged you to prove your view on the covenants without his writings, not because I disagree with them, but because Paul's very writing style lends itself to misunderstandings, and in order to understand the issues properly, it greatly simplifies things to find the answers elsewhere first, and then compare to Paul to see how his statements fit the whole.

My computer died. It's a laptop, with a keyboard problem. With a desktop, when you have a keyboard problem, you just spend $10 or $20 and get a new keyboard, and that's that, but with a laptop it's more complicated.

So I went through some of my old stuff. I have to see if there's stuff worth keeping on this old computer anyway. I'll have to get rid of it to save space. So I went to look for the computer I was using before moving last, and actually, without knowing it at first, dug up the computer I had *before* that one, which is like 10 years old now. It's still running on Windows 95. But it works! Yay!

Anyway, GC, I agree with you here. I think Scott was being a bit hard on you. Scott's really a great guy; I've talked to him a lot on the phone. On the internet people come across much harsher than in real life. Scott and I used to have internet battles a lot, and then we started talking on the phone, and the conversations were much more like dialogs. I think the medium has to do with it. In person it's much easier to get a conversation going. On the internet, one tends to just talk about things one disagrees with, which makes it seem more like fighting.

I often ask people to prove things without Paul, for the exact reason you gave. Nothing wrong with Paul, it's just that he's easier to interpret any which way, as you pointed out. Not using Paul in dealing with the covenants is a bit of a challenge, but, actually, Paul got all ideas straight from the OT, so once we understand his arguments, we can just use the OT like he did.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100615
07/06/08 04:44 AM
07/06/08 04:44 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Like Scott, you're quite brave to tell me what I believe...and like him, you are also incorrect.

I accept the 1888 message as having been inspired. My question was whether the statement you quoted from Waggoner were given before or after his apostasy. Makes a difference, doesn't it?

I think this is a reasonable request, which is why I confirmed that it was during the time EGW was endorsing Waggoner, which it was. Actually, in the case of Waggoner, I don't think it makes a difference, as I don't believe his theology changed after his so-called apostacy. I say so-called because, to the best of my knolwedge, he never repudiated any beliefs he had before he apostacized. He had some issues with the leadership, but his theology didn't change. That's the way it seems to me. However, I'm aware that some people have concerns about his writings after 1896, which is the point up to which EGW was endorsing him, so I try to be senstive to that.

Quote:
C. S. Lewis also experienced more than one phase of his life, in which his writing styles were quite different. It makes a difference in which era he wrote as to whether or not there is much credibility with it from a Christian standpoint.

I don't know what you're getting at here.

Of course, everybody has phases in their writings. We can see that readily with EGW, who started writing when she was very young, hardly an adult, and continued well to an elderly age. Early Writings is far different than "The Desire of Ages," for example.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #100623
07/06/08 06:09 AM
07/06/08 06:09 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
GC: Three things should stand out in those texts above:

1) "My covenant"
2) "Everlasting"
3) Relationship of "statutes", "oath", "commandments" to "covenant."

But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee. (Genesis 6:18, KJV)

And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you; (Genesis 9:9, KJV

And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. (Genesis 9:11, KJV)

And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. (Genesis 9:15, KJV)

Here are all of the texts you quoted from Noah’s covenant. I’m understanding you to be showing me things in this covenant that are in common with the Abrahamic covenant, but your number three is not even mentioned. There are no statutes or commandments referenced in the texts concerning Noah!

Your #1 is linking verbal text and drawing the conclusion that because the Bible uses the term “My Covenant” concerning every covenant mentioned then it is talking about the same covenant. I’m a contractor and send out my covenant in terms of proposals to many people. Every covenant (proposal, agreement, contract) has my business name on it and my signature. Could one say that a contract I enter for $1,000.00 is the same contract that I make for $300,000.00 just because they all say my name on them and they are my contracts?

What else would you expect them to be called?

And your #2 makes little logic to me because God is promising that He will never again flood the earth to Noah, but to Abraham He promises that Abraham’s seed would bless the whole earth and that Abraham would be given the land of Canaan for an eternal inheritance. What do they have to do with each other? Where is the promise of the Messiah coming through Noah’s seed? Where is the promise of the land of Canaan to Noah? Of course the promise to Noah extends to Abraham because Abraham is living on the earth that God promised never to flood again. We are all still reaping the benefits of God’s covenant to Noah!

scott

Page 15 of 71 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!