HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 32 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #100657
07/06/08 10:47 PM
07/06/08 10:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
No. But neither is "the light of the glory of God" the source that gives life to the righteous.

Yes, He is.

Quote:
They are already alive, so obviously it isn't the source of life.{/quote]

They live by Christ.

[quote]True, it adds to their life, but how?

Christ is their life.

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 108)

This says the light of the glory of God gives life to the righteous.

Quote:
MM: What are you saying then? Will people who come up in the first resurrection have cultivated sinful traits of character that must be changed before they can enter heaven?

TE: This is kind of a pointless question, isn't it? If they are in the first resurrection, they are going to heaven, so how could they have any cultivated sinful traits of character that must changed before they can enter heaven, since they're there?

Anyway, focusing on cultivated sinful traits isn't the right thing to focus on, IMO. If a person is right with God, the character will testify to that. It is not cultivated sinful traits that keep out of heaven, but rejection of the Holy Spirit. One is a cause, the other a symptom. The root problem must be taken care of; just treating the symptom without getting at the root won't work.

So, are people born again without the root of the problem? If so, does that mean they are also born again without the corresponding fruits, that is, sinful cultivated traits of character?

I'm not following you. I was pointing out that you asked a pointless question, since you asked if people going to heaven would be kept out of heaven because of some characteristic they had. Obviously not, since they're going to heaven.

I also pointed out that I think focusing on sinful habits isn't the right thing to focus on. It seems like you're pretty much ignoring the points I made, and simply focussing on that which I just pointed out isn't the right thing to focus on.

Quote:
Will the thief be resurrected with the sinful cultivated traits of character he did not have time to confess and crucify?

Give an example please. I'm not sure what you're asking here.

It seems like there are two possibilities.

1.The theif on the cross was perfect.
2.He wasn't, but was going to heaven anyway (on the basis of something other than being perfect).

Are you asserting that 1. is the case? If not, then in what way was the thief on the cross not perfect?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #100726
07/09/08 06:57 PM
07/09/08 06:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
No. But neither is "the light of the glory of God" the source that gives life to the righteous.

Yes, He is.

The “light” in this quote is referring to the divine light that radiates from God’s person – not Jesus. If she had meant Jesus she would capitalized it (i.e. Light).

MH 36
The followers of Christ are to be the light of the world; but God does not bid them make an effort to shine. {MH 36.3}

MH 419
Christ, the Light of the world, veiled the dazzling splendor of His divinity and came to live as a man among men, that they might, without being consumed, become acquainted with their Creator. {MH 419.1}

EW 198
As Stephen stood before his judges, the light of the glory of God rested upon his countenance. {EW 198.1}

DA 137
The next day John sees Jesus coming. With the light of the glory of God resting upon him, the prophet stretches out his hands, declaring, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world! {DA 137.1}

LHU 78
Direct from the throne proceeded the light of the glory of God. The heavens were opened, and beams of light and glory proceeded therefrom and assumed the form of a dove, in appearance like burnished gold. The dovelike form was emblematical of the meekness and gentleness of Christ. {LHU 78.5}

Do you see the comparisons and contrasts in these passages?

Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
They are already alive, so obviously it isn't the source of life.

They live by Christ.

Quote:
True, it adds to their life, but how?

Christ is their life.

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 108)

This says the light of the glory of God gives life to the righteous.

When - at the resurrection? Also, are you implying the phrase, The light of the glory of God, is referring to Jesus? If so, does that mean Jesus will slay the wicked?

MM: What are you saying then? Will people who come up in the first resurrection have cultivated sinful traits of character that must be changed before they can enter heaven?

TE: This is kind of a pointless question, isn't it? If they are in the first resurrection, they are going to heaven, so how could they have any cultivated sinful traits of character that must changed before they can enter heaven, since they're there?

Anyway, focusing on cultivated sinful traits isn't the right thing to focus on, IMO. If a person is right with God, the character will testify to that. It is not cultivated sinful traits that keep out of heaven, but rejection of the Holy Spirit. One is a cause, the other a symptom. The root problem must be taken care of; just treating the symptom without getting at the root won't work.

MM: So, are people born again without the root of the problem? If so, does that mean they are also born again without the corresponding fruits, that is, sinful cultivated traits of character?

TE: I'm not following you. I was pointing out that you asked a pointless question, since you asked if people going to heaven would be kept out of heaven because of some characteristic they had. Obviously not, since they're going to heaven.

I also pointed out that I think focusing on sinful habits isn't the right thing to focus on. It seems like you're pretty much ignoring the points I made, and simply focussing on that which I just pointed out isn't the right thing to focus on.

You wrote, “Obviously not, since they're going to heaven.” I agree. But my question is – When did they crucify the cultivated traits of character that would have prevented them from going to heaven? I’m focusing on victory, not sin.

MM: Will the thief be resurrected with the sinful cultivated traits of character he did not have time to confess and crucify?

TE: Give an example please. I'm not sure what you're asking here. It seems like there are two possibilities.

1.The theif on the cross was perfect.
2.He wasn't, but was going to heaven anyway (on the basis of something other than being perfect).

Are you asserting that 1. is the case? If not, then in what way was the thief on the cross not perfect?

“Will the thief be resurrected with the sinful cultivated traits of character he did not have time to confess and crucify?” My answer to this question is – No. He crucified all of his sinful cultivated traits of character before he died. He experienced the following:

Quote:
SC 29, 31, 35
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

If you see your sinfulness, do not wait to make yourself better. How many there are who think they are not good enough to come to Christ. Do you expect to become better through your own efforts? "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil." Jeremiah 13:23. There is help for us only in God. We must not wait for stronger persuasions, for better opportunities, or for holier tempers. We can do nothing of ourselves. We must come to Christ just as we are. {SC 31.1}

As you see the enormity of sin, as you see yourself as you really are, do not give up to despair. It was sinners that Christ came to save. We have not to reconcile God to us, but--O wondrous love!--God in Christ is "reconciling the world unto Himself." 2 Corinthians 5:19. He is wooing by His tender love the hearts of His erring children. No earthly parent could be as patient with the faults and mistakes of his children, as is God with those He seeks to save. No one could plead more tenderly with the transgressor. No human lips ever poured out more tender entreaties to the wanderer than does He. All His promises, His warnings, are but the breathing of unutterable love. {SC 35.3}

We have been great sinners, but Christ died that we might be forgiven. The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf. Those to whom He has forgiven most will love Him most, and will stand nearest to His throne to praise Him for His great love and infinite sacrifice. It is when we most fully comprehend the love of God that we best realize the sinfulness of sin. When we see the length of the chain that was let down for us, when we understand something of the infinite sacrifice that Christ has made in our behalf, the heart is melted with tenderness and contrition. {SC 35.4}

In other words, he experienced a full and complete death to sin, self, and Satan. Nothing survived or was overlooked to be revealed later on. You, on the other hand, seem to be saying he died with all manner of cultivated sinful traits of character uncrucified. Or, did I misunderstand you?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #100753
07/10/08 12:39 AM
07/10/08 12:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I think I can answer all your cultivated sinful trait questions at once simply by stating that I don't believe that when we are born again that we are morally perfect.

Regarding Jesus being the light of the glory of God, it's easy to see this in three ways:

1.The same thing, the "light of the glory of God," that gives life to the righteous slays the wicked. Jesus Christ gives life to the righteous. Therefore He is the "light of the glory of God." Clearly it cannot be the light that physically emanates from God because that light doesn't give life to the righteous.

2.Light = Revelation, Glory = Character. Jesus Christ is the revealer of the character of God; therefore He is the light of the glory of God.

3.The very next sentence after the "light of the glory of God statement" is: "In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God."

Seeing this last sentence is what made me hit my forehead in disbelief at my slowness of comprehension. How many times had I quoted this sentence, about the light of the glory of God, without realizing it was Jesus Christ? As soon as I thought of it, it was easy to see how it all fits together.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #100774
07/10/08 03:27 PM
07/10/08 03:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, if you do not believe people are born again morally perfect, does that mean you believe they are born again morally imperfect? Do you believe the thief died morally imperfect? If so, do you believe he will be resurrected morally imperfect?

Also, I agree with you that the title "the Light of the glory of God" refers to Jesus; however, I do not agree with you that the phrase "the light of the glory of God" refers to Jesus. I believe it refers to the brightness of His glory. "His countenance outshines the dazzling brightness of the noonday sun." GC 641.

AA 117
When the glory was withdrawn, and Saul arose from the ground, he found himself totally deprived of sight. The brightness of Christ's glory had been too intense for his mortal eyes; and when it was removed, the blackness of night settled upon his vision. {AA 117.3}

CON 29
He saw the brightness of the Father's glory overshadowing the form of Jesus, thus pointing out in that crowd the One whom He acknowledged as His Son with unmistakable assurance. Con 29.1}

FLB 353
At the coming of Christ the wicked are blotted from the face of the whole earth--consumed with the spirit of His mouth, and destroyed by the brightness of His glory. Christ takes His people to the city of God, and the earth is emptied of its inhabitants. {FLB 353.2}

AG 369
"And they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light" (Rev. 22:5). The light of the sun will be superseded by a radiance which is not painfully dazzling, yet which immeasurably surpasses the brightness of our noontide. The glory of God and the Lamb floods the Holy City with unfading light. The redeemed walk in the sunless glory of perpetual day. {AG 369.3}

There are many forms of light, some are harmless and helpful, while others are dangerous and destructive. Surely you can see from the passages quoted above that the light of God's glory is literal light. Do you?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #100777
07/10/08 04:21 PM
07/10/08 04:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, if you do not believe people are born again morally perfect, does that mean you believe they are born again morally imperfect? Do you believe the thief died morally imperfect? If so, do you believe he will be resurrected morally imperfect?

Also, I agree with you that the title "the Light of the glory of God" refers to Jesus; however, I do not agree with you that the phrase "the light of the glory of God" refers to Jesus.

Capitalizing a letter isn't what determines if to what or whom a passage refers. The context does.

Quote:
I believe it refers to the brightness of His glory. "His countenance outshines the dazzling brightness of the noonday sun." GC 641.

The context doesn't fit. I presented you with 3 arguments demonstrated that "the light of the glory of God" refers to Jesus Christ. The easiest way to see this is by considering the very next sentence! "In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God."

"Light of the glory of God" = "Revelation (or revealer) of the character of God"

Here's an example that your idea of capitalization is off. She refers to Christ as "the revealer of the character of God." The "r" in "revealer" is not capitalized, yet you can see that this refers to Christ, right?

Quote:
There are many forms of light, some are harmless and helpful, while others are dangerous and destructive. Surely you can see from the passages quoted above that the light of God's glory is literal light. Do you?

In the passage under consideration, in DA 108, it's clearly *not* literal light, as the light referred to gives life to the righteous. Literal light does not give life to the righteous. I've made this point many times now. I don't believe you've acknowledged this point, which is easy to see. The same thing that gives life to the righteous destroys the wicked. You have never had an explanation for this.

Regarding the passages you gave, I'm not going to go through each one, but I'll consider the first one:

Quote:
When the glory was withdrawn, and Saul arose from the ground, he found himself totally deprived of sight. The brightness of Christ's glory had been too intense for his mortal eyes; and when it was removed, the blackness of night settled upon his vision. {AA 117.3}

This could not have been a literal physical bright light because Saul was the only one who saw it.

Anyway, the fact that some passage somewhere speaks of literal light does not mean the one in DA 108 is. In fact, it is clear that it isn't, because the light referred to in DA 108 gives life to the righteous. Who gives life to the righteous? Jesus Christ.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #100783
07/10/08 04:49 PM
07/10/08 04:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, if you do not believe people are born again morally perfect, does that mean you believe they are born again morally imperfect?

I would say people are not born again morally perfect. Regarding the other two questions, I'm not sure how you would define "morally imperfect." It would be difficult to characterize one in heaven as morally imperfect. Perhaps "morally immature" would be a better term.

When one referred to Jesus as "good," Jesus replied, "Why do you call me good? Only God is good." I would have the same reaction to "morally perfect" as Jesus did to "good."

MM, if you think of yourself as morally perfect, then you have no need for mercy, do you?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #100965
07/18/08 04:12 PM
07/18/08 04:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Also, I agree with you that the title "the Light of the glory of God" refers to Jesus; however, I do not agree with you that the phrase "the light of the glory of God" refers to Jesus.

Capitalizing a letter isn't what determines if to what or whom a passage refers. The context does.

Every time she capitalizes a word, as in the word "Light" quoted above, it refers to a title, especially when it refers to Divine titles. In this case, the title "Light" is referring to Jesus, and it may or may not be a reference to the brightness of His radiant glory. But when the word "light" (lower case) is used, instead of the word "Light" (upper case), it almost always refers to the dazzling brightness of His radiant glory, which outshines the sun.

Can you think of a different word she uses to describe the fact Jesus glows, shines more brightly than our sun?

Originally Posted By: tom
 Quote:
I believe it refers to the brightness of His glory. "His countenance outshines the dazzling brightness of the noonday sun." GC 641.

The context doesn't fit. I presented you with 3 arguments demonstrated that "the light of the glory of God" refers to Jesus Christ. The easiest way to see this is by considering the very next sentence! "In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God."

Here's the context (what you call the very next sentence is actually in the very next paragraph):

DA 107, 108
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. Jacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Gen. 32: 30. Jacob had been guilty of a great sin in his conduct toward Esau; but he had repented. His transgression had been forgiven, and his sin purged; therefore he could endure the revelation of God's presence. But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

Let’s take a closer look at this paragraph. “To sin, wherever found, ‘our God is a consuming fire.’ Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin.” The Holy Spirit is compared to a consuming fire. He consumes sin in penitent sinners. This form of fire obviously does not consume sinful flesh.

The next part reads: “But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them.” This form of fire destroys sin, but it also destroys sinful flesh in the process. Sinners are, in this case, collateral damage.

Moving on to the next section: “Jacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Gen. 32: 30. Jacob had been guilty of a great sin in his conduct toward Esau; but he had repented. His transgression had been forgiven, and his sin purged; therefore he could endure the revelation of God's presence.” In this case, the revelation of God’s physical presence, seeing Him face to face, did not destroy sinful flesh.

And then: “But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed.” In such cases, the revelation of God’s physical presence destroyed sinful flesh. I suppose she has Nadab and Abihu in mind.

Finally: “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed ‘with the Spirit of His mouth,’ and destroyed ‘with the brightness of His coming.’ 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.” Here she compares “the light of the glory of God” to “the brightness of His coming”, which destroys the wicked when Jesus arrives in the clouds of glory. This same bright, divine light source imparts life to the righteous. See my comments below.

"Light of the glory of God" = "Revelation (or revealer) of the character of God"

Here's an example that your idea of capitalization is off. She refers to Christ as "the revealer of the character of God." The "r" in "revealer" is not capitalized, yet you can see that this refers to Christ, right?

You’re right, Tom, she didn’t always capitalize titles. But note the following capitalized titles:

COL 37
Ever since the fall of man, Christ had been the Revealer of truth to the world. {COL 37.1}

PK 499
Their lives were spared because of Daniel's connection with the Revealer of secrets. {PK 499.3}

4BC 1166
He is revealed as the monarch of the universe, about to set up His everlasting kingdom--the Ancient of days, the living God, the Source of all wisdom, the Ruler of the present, the Revealer of the future. {4BC 1166.4}

Quote:

In the passage under consideration, in DA 108, it's clearly *not* literal light, as the light referred to gives life to the righteous. Literal light does not give life to the righteous. I've made this point many times now. I don't believe you've acknowledged this point, which is easy to see. The same thing that gives life to the righteous destroys the wicked. You have never had an explanation for this.

Actually, Tom, literal light is a source of life and death in many different situations. Too much or too little light is a contributing factor in death. Just the right amount and kind of light is a contributing factor in life. Check out these links:

http://www.astronomynotes.com/light/s3.htm
http://sciencelinks.jp/content/view/33/33/

The light of the glory of God is a form of light that can give life or take life. Of course, it is not the only factor involved. Whether or not a person lives or dies in the presence of divine light depends on the type of flesh they have: sinful flesh cannot withstand the unveiled light of God’s radiant glory., whereas, sinless flesh thrives in it.

Regarding the passages you gave, I'm not going to go through each one, but I'll consider the first one:

Quote:

This could not have been a literal physical bright light because Saul was the only one who saw it.

Here is the context of the light:

Quote:
AA 114, 115
While Saul, with his companions, gazed with admiration on the fruitful plain and the fair city below, "suddenly," as he afterward declared, there shone "round about me and them which journeyed with me" "a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun" (Acts 26:13), too glorious for mortal eyes to bear. Blinded and bewildered, Saul fell prostrate to the ground. {AA 114.1}

While the light continued to shine round about them, Saul heard, "a voice speaking . . . in the Hebrew tongue" (Acts 26:14), "saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou Me? And he said, Who art Thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks." {AA 114.2}

Filled with fear, and almost blinded by the intensity of the light, the companions of Saul heard a voice, but saw no man. But Saul understood the words that were spoken, and to him was clearly revealed the One who spoke --even the Son of God. In the glorious Being who stood before him he saw the Crucified One. Upon the soul of the stricken Jew the image of the Saviour's countenance was imprinted forever. The words spoken struck home to his heart with appalling force. Into the darkened chambers of his mind there poured a flood of light, revealing the ignorance and error of his former life and his present need of the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit. {AA 115.1}

I’m not sure how she could have stated it more clearly, Tom. Paul’s companions saw the light, too. They didn’t understand the voice, but they clearly saw the light. The light was literal light, don’t you agree? It had a physical effect of Paul. It caused blindness, and perhaps lifetime damage (not all agree this was the cause of Paul's "thorn in the flesh").

Anyway, the fact that some passage somewhere speaks of literal light does not mean the one in DA 108 is. In fact, it is clear that it isn't, because the light referred to in DA 108 gives life to the righteous. Who gives life to the righteous? Jesus Christ.

Jesus created us in such a way that several things are necessary to live eternally: 1) the breath of life, 2) the tree of life, 3) the water of life, and 4) the light of life. It is this form of light that she is referring to in DA 108. It gives life to those who possess sinless flesh and it takes life from those who posses sinful flesh. It is a physical light that has a physical effect and physical things.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #100966
07/18/08 04:35 PM
07/18/08 04:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

I would say people are not born again morally perfect.

You wrote: "I would say people are not born again morally perfect." Thank you for answering my question. It is helpful to know what you believe when discussing the miracle of rebirth. I like how Sister White put it in the following passage:

AA 476
"If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17. Through the power of Christ, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness. The profane have become reverent, the drunken sober, the profligate pure. Souls that have borne the likeness of Satan have become transformed into the image of God. This change is in itself the miracle of miracles. A change wrought by the Word, it is one of the deepest mysteries of the Word. We cannot understand it; we can only believe, as declared by the Scriptures, it is "Christ in you, the hope of glory." {AA 476.1}

When the Spirit of God controls mind and heart, the converted soul breaks forth into a new song; for he realizes that in his experience the promise of God has been fulfilled, that his transgression has been forgiven, his sin covered. He has exercised repentance toward God for the violation of the divine law, and faith toward Christ, who died for man's justification. "Being justified by faith," he has "peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1. {AA 476.2}

But because this experience is his, the Christian is not therefore to fold his hands, content with that which has been accomplished for him. He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him. Each day he must renew his consecration, each day do battle with evil. Old habits, hereditary tendencies to wrong, will strive for the mastery, and against these he is to be ever on guard, striving in Christ's strength for victory. {AA 476.3}

Again, she wrote: "Through the power of Christ, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness." You seem to qualify this insight by saying she obviously isn't referring to all sinful habits or to all selfishness. Do you have quotes where she qualifies it in this way?

She also wrote: "He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him. Each day he must renew his consecration, each day do battle with evil. Old habits, hereditary tendencies to wrong, will strive for the mastery, and against these he is to be ever on guard, striving in Christ's strength for victory." You seem to interpret this to mean they will discover new sinful habits after they are born again, or that they will gradually see their sinfulness and selfishness in a new and proper light.

Regarding the other two questions, I'm not sure how you would define "morally imperfect." It would be difficult to characterize one in heaven as morally imperfect. Perhaps "morally immature" would be a better term.

Would you apply the same term to the sinful habits and traits of character the thief took to the grave with him? Or, will they change names or titles after Jesus resurrects him? Can we really refer to uncrucified sinful habits and traits of character as "morally immature?" Where is sin referred to in this way in the inspired writings?

MM, if you think of yourself as morally perfect, then you have no need for mercy, do you?

Mercy will continue to be a reality throughout eternity, even after the extermination of our sins in the lake of fire. In Christ we are complete, morally perfect, lacking nothing - so far as our salvation status in concerned. Of course, we will continue to mature in the fruits of the Spirit. This maturation process will go on throughout eternity. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Oh blessed eternity!

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #100972
07/18/08 06:11 PM
07/18/08 06:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:Regarding the other two questions, I'm not sure how you would define "morally imperfect." It would be difficult to characterize one in heaven as morally imperfect. Perhaps "morally immature" would be a better term.

MM:Would you apply the same term to the sinful habits and traits of character the thief took to the grave with him? Or, will they change names or titles after Jesus resurrects him?

You're serious? They change names or titles after Jesus resurrects him? How can this be a serious question?

Quote:
Can we really refer to uncrucified sinful habits and traits of character as "morally immature?" Where is sin referred to in this way in the inspired writings?

You mean "character," not "sin." Here's an example:

Quote:
The germination of the seed represents the beginning of spiritual life, and the development of the plant is a beautiful figure of Christian growth. As in nature, so in grace; there can be no life without growth. The plant must either grow or die. As its growth is silent and imperceptible, but continuous, so is the development of the Christian life. At every stage of development our life may be perfect; yet if God's purpose for us is fulfilled, there will be continual advancement. Sanctification is the work of a lifetime. As our opportunities multiply, our experience will enlarge, and our knowledge increase. We shall become strong to bear responsibility, and our maturity will be in proportion to our privileges. (COL 65)

Quote:
TE:MM, if you think of yourself as morally perfect, then you have no need for mercy, do you?

MM:Mercy will continue to be a reality throughout eternity, even after the extermination of our sins in the lake of fire. In Christ we are complete, morally perfect, lacking nothing - so far as our salvation status in concerned.

You didn't say "In Christ" before. It seems to me we've had this conversation before, and I pointed out the same thing, and you agreed you should say "in Christ."

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #101000
07/19/08 01:20 PM
07/19/08 01:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
AA 476
"If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17. Through the power of Christ, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness. The profane have become reverent, the drunken sober, the profligate pure. Souls that have borne the likeness of Satan have become transformed into the image of God. This change is in itself the miracle of miracles. A change wrought by the Word, it is one of the deepest mysteries of the Word. We cannot understand it; we can only believe, as declared by the Scriptures, it is "Christ in you, the hope of glory." {AA 476.1}

When the Spirit of God controls mind and heart, the converted soul breaks forth into a new song; for he realizes that in his experience the promise of God has been fulfilled, that his transgression has been forgiven, his sin covered. He has exercised repentance toward God for the violation of the divine law, and faith toward Christ, who died for man's justification. "Being justified by faith," he has "peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1. {AA 476.2}

But because this experience is his, the Christian is not therefore to fold his hands, content with that which has been accomplished for him. He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him. Each day he must renew his consecration, each day do battle with evil. Old habits, hereditary tendencies to wrong, will strive for the mastery, and against these he is to be ever on guard, striving in Christ's strength for victory. {AA 476.3}

In the above quote, Sister White wrote - "Through the power of Christ, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness."

You seem to qualify this insight by saying she obviously isn't referring to all sinful habits or to all selfishness. Do you have quotes where she qualifies it in this way?

She also wrote - "He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him. Each day he must renew his consecration, each day do battle with evil. Old habits, hereditary tendencies to wrong, will strive for the mastery, and against these he is to be ever on guard, striving in Christ's strength for victory."

You seem to interpret this to mean they will discover certain, hitherto unrevealed sinful habits after they are born again; or, you seem to say they will gradually see their unrevealed sinfulness and selfishness in a new and proper light as the Holy Spirit is able to get through to them. Where does she articulate this idea?

Page 14 of 32 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!