HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 44 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #102824
09/17/08 03:28 PM
09/17/08 03:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: Jesus ate meat after the cross, the apostles ate meat after the cross, and the whole church of God ate meat after the cross until the SDA Church arose, and many in the SDA Church still eat meat. And all those needed and still need guidelines about which animals are safe to eat and which aren't.

S: But the guidelines were given to Noah and he was given a list of every animal! How can you say this happened best when the law was given? If anything, as you point out, the law is incomplete compared to Noah's list, but does give us an example of the principle.

The Bible doesn’t bring the guidelines given to Adam, or to Noah! It only brings the guidelines given to the Israelites, which, of course, are the same as those given previously, because God doesn’t change! So we depend on the OC for that list – this is my point! The same is true about the 10 commandments. The OC has passed away, but it does bring to our knowledge some guidelines which expressed the will of God for all times. They existed before the OC and will remain valid as long as we are in this world.

Quote:
Of course the law existed in the form of God's character of love. God created us in His image. The natural law would be to act like God.

Scott,

After sin man’s character and God’s character were out of harmony. Man lost the capacity to discern clearly God’s will. The law written in the heart was almost obliterated. Man needed a clear and objective external standard showing him sin – that’s why the law, expressed in the form of ten clear commandments was given. Even after man is converted he still needs that standard, for the sinful heart is deceitful above all things. Just take a look at what happened with David and with Solomon. So, the 10 commandments didn’t become obsolete – they will last as long as we are sinners – they will last till heaven and earth pass away.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #102825
09/17/08 03:35 PM
09/17/08 03:35 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
How could piranhas have been excluded? They didn't even know what a piranha was. How could God have excluded piranhas?

Simple. He could have said that fishes that ate other fishes/animals and/or that scavenger fishes were excluded. We can't classify them as unclean if the Bible classifies them as clean.

Quote:
I'm not clear what you're saying in the last sentence. Are you saying that piranhas may be an exception to the rule that scavengers are unhealthy to eat, but science hasn't proven this?

Yes. Maybe their bodies have a special way to eliminate toxins, or to not retain toxins.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #102829
09/17/08 04:56 PM
09/17/08 04:56 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA

Quote:
by Rosangela: After sin man’s character and God’s character were out of harmony. Man lost the capacity to discern clearly God’s will. The law written in the heart was almost obliterated. Man needed a clear and objective external standard showing him sin – that’s why the law, expressed in the form of ten clear commandments was given. Even after man is converted he still needs that standard, for the sinful heart is deceitful above all things. Just take a look at what happened with David and with Solomon. So, the 10 commandments didn’t become obsolete – they will last as long as we are sinners – they will last till heaven and earth pass away.

I agree with everything you said. That might be a first! We actually might be communicating!

I’ve always said that the man who is unconverted needs the law. It is only obsolete for those who have found Christ. The OT law is also symbolic of a condition of man. The man who doesn’t understand God or know Him and believes that God needs to be appeased by works is symbolically under the OC. The man who knows God and depends fully on God’s grace is symbolically under the NC. One has not been converted by God’s love therefore needs the law to try and contain his out of control passions and the other is living in the light of God’s love as the Spirit tames their rebellion with gifts and fruit. The written law to the converted man is child's play and the Spirit to the unconverted man is insanity.

Waggoner says that the covenants are not just a matter of dispensation, but a matter of condition.

scott
]

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #102833
09/17/08 07:08 PM
09/17/08 07:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:How could piranhas have been excluded? They didn't even know what a piranha was. How could God have excluded piranhas?

R:Simple. He could have said that fishes that ate other fishes/animals and/or that scavenger fishes were excluded.

But this rule would suffer the same problems as any other one. There would be exceptions for this too.

Quote:
We can't classify them as unclean if the Bible classifies them as clean.

I'm having difficulty understanding what your point is. You originally said:

Quote:
Our knowledge is not enough, even today, to determine what is clean and what is not, and why.

If you're talking about classifying an animal as "clean" or "unclean" on the basis of what's in Scripture, sure we have enough knowledge. We just look it up in Scripture.

So you must be making some other point. Is your point that piranhas must be healthy for you, since they're on the clean list given to the Israelites?

Any list that would cover every possible animal that would be healthy or unhealthy to eat in the world would be incredibly long. And what would be the point to explaining to Israelites that piranhas are not healthy to eat?

Quote:
T:I'm not clear what you're saying in the last sentence. Are you saying that piranhas may be an exception to the rule that scavengers are unhealthy to eat, but science hasn't proven this?

R:Yes. Maybe their bodies have a special way to eliminate toxins, or to not retain toxins.

Maybe they're not healthy to eat and they weren't included in a list because they weren't an animal known to the Israelites.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #102838
09/17/08 10:48 PM
09/17/08 10:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The man who doesn’t understand God or know Him and believes that God needs to be appeased by works is symbolically under the OC. The man who knows God and depends fully on God’s grace is symbolically under the NC.

Hey, this is good stuff! How'd you think of it? );

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #102845
09/18/08 04:59 AM
09/18/08 04:59 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
The man who doesn’t understand God or know Him and believes that God needs to be appeased by works is symbolically under the OC. The man who knows God and depends fully on God’s grace is symbolically under the NC.

Hey, this is good stuff! How'd you think of it? );

Someone from Kansas told me!!!!

Of course he moved to NY!

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #102856
09/18/08 03:25 PM
09/18/08 03:25 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By Rosagela: The Bible doesn’t bring the guidelines given to Adam, or to Noah! It only brings the guidelines given to the Israelites, which, of course, are the same as those given previously, because God doesn’t change! So we depend on the OC for that list – this is my point! The same is true about the 10 commandments. The OC has passed away, but it does bring to our knowledge some guidelines which expressed the will of God for all times. They existed before the OC and will remain valid as long as we are in this world.

Hi Rosangela,

This is actually the paragraph that I completely agree with! Those things you call “guidelines” I call “principles”.

Would you agree that if we glean the principles out of the OC we would find the same principles in the NC?

And would you agree that those “guidelines” in the OC are expressed in the lowest common denominator or should I say the minimum standard?

An example would be like a building code that demands we build to minimum standard, but a conscientious excellent builder might choose to upgrade the electrical wiring, build a stronger footing, and take precautions that are over and above the minimum standard. He might choose to build to a higher standard! So rather than building to the letter of the law (code book) he wants much more than a house that barely passes code, he want a house that sets a new standard of excellence.

This is how I see the OC (including the 10C). It was a mile marker for emancipated slaves after 400 years of abuse, but for the converted Christian who knows and loves God it is obsolete in that it only sets a minimum standard. Not to have idols is a far cry from loving God. Not killing is light years behind loving our enemies and doing good to those who despitefully use us. God’s principle behind telling us not to kill is the same as the principle behind telling us to love, but the principle of love is has no limits of expression.

And please note the fact that an excellent builder would never dip below the minimum standard in quality.

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #102885
09/18/08 07:44 PM
09/18/08 07:44 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
This is actually the paragraph that I completely agree with!

Yes, when you cited the other paragraph I thought there must be some mistake on your part, so I allowed you some more time to reflect about it. \:\)

Quote:
Would you agree that if we glean the principles out of the OC we would find the same principles in the NC?

Yes, because God does not change.

Quote:
And would you agree that those “guidelines” in the OC are expressed in the lowest common denominator or should I say the minimum standard?

The ten commandments are indeed expressed in the minimum standard.

Quote:
This is how I see the OC (including the 10C). It was a mile marker for emancipated slaves after 400 years of abuse, but for the converted Christian who knows and loves God it is obsolete in that it only sets a minimum standard.

My view is somewhat different from yours in this point. The ten commandments are expressed in the minimum standard but they do not set a minimum standard. The opposite is true. As David said, almost 3,000 years ago,

Psalms 119:96 I have seen a limit to all perfection, but thy commandment is exceedingly broad.

Spurgeon's comment on this verse:

“But thy commandment is exceeding broad.” When the exceeding breadth of the law is known the notion of perfection in the flesh vanishes: that law touches every act, word, and thought, and is of such a spiritual nature that it judges the motives, desires, and emotions of the soul. It reveals a perfection which convicts us for shortcomings as well as for transgressions, and does not allow us to make up for deficiencies in one direction by special carefulness in others. The divine ideal of holiness is far too broad for us to hope to cover all its wide area, and yet it is no broader than it ought to be. Who would wish to have an imperfect law? Nay, its perfection is its glory; but it is the death of all glorying in our own perfection. There is a breadth about the commandment which has never been met to the full by a corresponding breadth of holiness in any mere man while here below; only in Jesus do we see it fully embodied. The law is in all respects a perfect code; each separate commandment of it is far-reaching in its hallowed meaning, and the whole ten cover all, and leave no space wherein to please our passions. We may well adore the infinity of divine holiness, and then measure ourselves by its standard, and bow before the Lord in all lowliness, acknowledging how far we fall short of it.

I share the same opinion as Spurgeon, so I do not share the view that the law is imperfect and obsolete. In order for it to be limitless, it had to be expressed in the mininum standard.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #102891
09/18/08 11:05 PM
09/18/08 11:05 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
I agree with Spurgeon too! The problem is that the 10Cs do not express the fullness of the true law of love. Spurgeon isn't talking about the 10Cs, but the law of love. Spurgen is talking about the full expression of God's character like we see in Jesus.

Paul says about the 10Cs in
 Quote:
2 Corinthians 3: "7Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Ministry of death written on stone?

Doesn't sound like Spurgeon to me!

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Mountain Man] #102914
09/19/08 04:37 PM
09/19/08 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
You mentioned two passages. The one from 1 Cor 9:21 is not "under the law" in the Greek. Regarding the one from Rom. 3:19

Quote:
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law; that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight; for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe.

Within the Law. This is not the place to consider the force of the term "under the law," since it does not really occur here. It should be "in the law," as in Romans 2:12, for the Greek words are the same in both places. The words for "under the law" are entirely different. Why the translators have given us "under the law" in this place, and also in 1 Corinthians 9:21, where the term is also "in the law," as noted in Young's Concordance, it is impossible to determine. (Waggoner on Romans)

Tom, what is the difference between "under [obligation to obey] the law" and "in the law"? Following are three versions:

Romans
2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned under law shall be judged by law. (RV)

2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. (NIV)

2:12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law. (NASB)

Romans
3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it speaketh to them that are under the law; that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may be brought under the judgment of God. (RV)

3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. (NIV)

3:19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God. (NASB)

1 Corinthians
3:19 To them that are without law, as without law, not being without law to God, but under law to Christ, that I might gain them that are without law. (RV)

3:19 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. (NIV)

3:19 To those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. (NASB)

Page 22 of 44 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!