HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103573
10/13/08 06:52 AM
10/13/08 06:52 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. {FW 30.1}

How do the other models teach that a debt for past sins remains even if the sinner keeps God's law from now on, a debt that Jesus pays for us?

First of all, a person who has not been justified by faith, which is to say pardoned, cannot keep the law. In the EGW quote, she says, "He might try to keep God's law in the future; but the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death." A person might try to keep the law, but the person couldn't succeed, without being justified by faith, which is to say pardoned.

While what you say is true, that's not what EGW was talking about. She did not say, "His present inability to keep the law must condemn him to death." Rather, the condemnation of the law is for the debt of past transgressions. Jesus paid the debt for past sins, a debt that no amount of repentance or reformation can repay. "Could my zeal no respite know, could my tears forever flow, all for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and Thou alone."

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103574
10/13/08 06:54 AM
10/13/08 06:54 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
If I am drowning in a rapid river, a man who still has one foot on the bank may give me a hand which saves my life. Ought I to shout back (between my gasps) "No, it's not fair! You have an advantage! You're keeping one foot on the bank"? That advantage-call it "unfair" if you like-is the only reason why he can be of any use to me. To what will you look for help if you will not look to that which is stronger than yourself?

I have used a very similar argument against those who make the same complaint about the "advantage" Jesus had because His human nature was not quite as messed up as ours. But that's for another thread.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103575
10/13/08 06:55 AM
10/13/08 06:55 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You're trying to have your cake and eat it too!

What's the point of having a cake if I can't eat it? Unless it was for throwing in someone's face. ;\)

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: asygo] #103579
10/13/08 12:27 PM
10/13/08 12:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
While what you say is true, that's not what EGW was talking about. She did not say, "His present inability to keep the law must condemn him to death." Rather, the condemnation of the law is for the debt of past transgressions. Jesus paid the debt for past sins, a debt that no amount of repentance or reformation can repay. "Could my zeal no respite know, could my tears forever flow, all for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and Thou alone."

If we ask the question, "What is the problem that must be solved?" I think that can get us to a right understanding of the issue. The problem is that sin separates us from God. In order to be restored to harmony with God, repentance and submission are necessary. Not as an arbitrary requirement on the part of God, but as an actual fact. Repentance is a change of mind, and submission demonstrates that change of mind. As long as one is fighting against God, one cannot be at peace with God.

If the legal paradigm were correct, in terms of Ellen White's writings, it would have followed that Lucifer could not have been offered pardon without the death of Christ. Yet we read:

Quote:
He was not immediately dethroned when he first ventured to indulge the spirit of discontent and insubordination, nor even when he began to present his false claim and lying representations before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in Heaven. Again and again was he offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (1SP 319)

Before being banished from heaven, Lucifer was given the opportunity to confess his sin. He would have been restored to his position had he repented.

Now if the legal perspective were accurate, it would have been just as necessary for Christ to have died to pardon Lucifer as it was for man because the legal issues for Lucifer were the same as man. No amount of right actions on the part of Lucifer could make up for past sins. His debt would remain, so the law would require death. Christ should have had to die for his sins. Yet we don't see this. Why not? Because this legal perspective is flawed.

When we read things like "the law must condemn him to death," we should bear in mind that these statements are metaphors. "The law" stands for God, because God is the mind behind the law. The law is not a sentient being that can literally condemn. So to say that the law must condemn a sinner to death for past transgressions is to say that God must condemn the sinner to death for past transgressions. At that begs the question as to why God must do this. It also begs the question as to why the death of Christ would release God from the obligation to do this.

It seems to me clear that God is capable of pardoning past transgressions without death because this is exactly what He offered to do for Lucifer.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103580
10/13/08 12:34 PM
10/13/08 12:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I have used a very similar argument against those who make the same complaint about the "advantage" Jesus had because His human nature was not quite as messed up as ours. But that's for another thread.

It does kind of tie in with this one, however, since it deviates from Waggoner's teaching of righteousness by faith, as does the idea that we are not, in fact, righteous although we are called righteous by God. Waggoner's argument is that God cannot lie, so that when He declares a person righteous, that person is made righteous by the power of God's word. I'm curious as to where you stand on this question. Do you disagree with what Waggoner said on this point as well?

I don't understand the disconnect that would allow one on the one hand to claim to accept Ellen White as a prophet, and on the other reject the teachings of Jones and Waggoner, given she endorsed their teachings over a thousand times. I understand she might not be agreeing that they dotted every "i" correctly, or crossed every "t," but how could they have gotten fundamental issues wrong, such as imputed righteousness, and whether or not a person is made righteous by faith when God declares them righteous?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103595
10/13/08 07:46 PM
10/13/08 07:46 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

If we ask the question, "What is the problem that must be solved?" I think that can get us to a right understanding of the issue. The problem is that sin separates us from God. In order to be restored to harmony with God, repentance and submission are necessary. Not as an arbitrary requirement on the part of God, but as an actual fact. Repentance is a change of mind, and submission demonstrates that change of mind. As long as one is fighting against God, one cannot be at peace with God.

In your model or paradigm, once repentance and submission are accomplished, is that all that's needed? Or is there something else that must be taken care of?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103596
10/13/08 09:09 PM
10/13/08 09:09 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: When the debt is forgiven a price is paid - a price equivalent to the debt; and, as far as the debtor is concerned, forgiveness means to him that his debt is paid, because he no longer owes it.

T: If you owe me $1,000, and I forgive your debt, I don't say I paid myself $1,000. Certainly I wouldn't make the argument that justice would not allow me to forgive your debt unless I paid myself $1,000.

You are changing the analogy. Certainly several comparisons could be made. Your initial comparison had been with a financial debt, therefore I answered accordingly (see Matt. 18). Now you are speaking about justice – this involves a debt with the law, which is a different thing. If I, as a judge, made a law for whose transgression there is a fine, and you break that law and doesn’t have the money to pay the fine, I (the judge) can pay that fine – that debt – for you and let you go free.

Quote:
R: That's what I mean when I say that God's children are called righteous without actually being righteous. Waggoner says, "But if unrighteousness is transgression of the law, righteousness must be obedience to the law." Correct, but since none of us obey the law perfectly, this means we are called righteous without in fact being righteous.

T: We are called righteous without in fact being righteous? This isn't truth.
<<Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. (1 John 3:7)>>

Does this refer to absolute or intrinsic righteousness? Of course not. What do you make of 1 John 1:8?

1 John 1:8 ¶ If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Quote:
Now if a person is clothed with the garment of Christ righteousness -- which means his heart is united with Christ's heart, his will merged with Christ's will, his mind one with Christ's mind, and living His life -- isn't such a person in fact righteous?

Not in the sense of an absolute or intrinsic righteousness.
Remember that God requires from us a perfect obedience like that of Adam before his fall - this means no sin at all.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what you're claiming sounds like Ford's theology. Are you familiar with Ford's theology? If so, do you agree with it?

No, what I’m claiming sounds like Luther’s theology (simul iustus et peccator).

And sounds like EGW theology:

In ourselves we are sinners; but in Christ we are righteous. Having made us righteous through the imputed righteousness of Christ, God pronounces us just, and treats us as just. He looks upon us as His dear children. Christ works against the power of sin, and where sin abounded, grace much more abounds. ‘Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God’ (Rom. 5:1, 2). {1SM 394.1}”

“Since we are sinful, unholy, we cannot perfectly obey the holy law. We have no righteousness of our own with which to meet the claims of the law of God. But Christ has made a way of escape for us. He lived on earth amid trials and temptations such as we have to meet. He lived a sinless life. He died for us, and now He offers to take our sins and give us His righteousness. If you give yourself to Him, and accept Him as your Saviour, then, sinful as your life may have been, for His sake you are accounted righteous. Christ's character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned. More than this, Christ changes the heart. He abides in your heart by faith.” {SC 62} [Please notice that she distinguishes between the sinner being accounted righteous and the change in his heart; these are two different aspects, although simultaneous]

And sounds like Paul's theology:

1 Timothy 1:15 Faithful is the word, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom *I* am the first. [the pronoun is emphatic in the Greek]

Ford’s theology is the theology of the evangelicals. He excludes heart renewal from justification and places it in sanctification. Justification for him – and for them - is only a legal pronouncement.

Quote:
R: You say the objective of salvation is to restore our relationship with God. But the restoration of a relationship doesn't require perfection. However, Ellen White states that "the condition of eternal life is now ... just what it was in Paradise before the fall of our first parents--perfect obedience to the law of God, perfect righteousness." None of us obey perfectly, so we just inherit eternal life because of Christ's perfection, which covers our imperfection. I sincerely don't see how aspects like these (God requiring perfection and Christ's perfection being considered as if it was ours) can make sense under your model of the atonement. It just makes sense in a legal context.

T: I don't see a problem here. I think the quote from COL 312 that I just quoted makes perfect sense from my standpoint. I don't see how it makes any sense from yours. I also think the COL 312 quote addresses the concern you are raising here.

I think COL 312 refers to sanctification, not to justification. By the way, do you see any difference between justification and sanctification? If so, what is the difference?

Quote:
R: Ellen White doesn't describe this declaration as being addressed to the sinner (and thus making the sinner righteous). She describes this declaration as being addressed to the universe.

"... The Lord imputes unto the believer the righteousness of Christ and pronounces him righteous before the universe. ..." {1SM 392.2}

T: The theology you are suggesting that Ellen White held is simply not possible!

It would be more fruitful if you tried to explain what the passage means, instead of saying this theology is impossible.

Quote:
Waggoner spoke of faith in Christ making us righteous, or obedient to the law. She endorses his teachings of righteousness by faith, and then repeats his concept in her own words

Again, this is one of the aspects of justification, the one Waggoner concentrates in. But there is the other one, the legal one, which EGW mentions and which does not make sense under your theology. I would like you to explain the EGW passages I quote. There is no use in your quoting other EGW (or Waggoner’s) passages which are concentrating in other points.

Forgiveness is not merely a judicial act, but it is also a judicial act. What, however, does a judicial act have to do with your theology?

Last edited by Rosangela; 10/13/08 09:56 PM. Reason: add comment
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103598
10/13/08 10:05 PM
10/13/08 10:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
A:While what you say is true, that's not what EGW was talking about. She did not say, "His present inability to keep the law must condemn him to death." Rather, the condemnation of the law is for the debt of past transgressions. Jesus paid the debt for past sins, a debt that no amount of repentance or reformation can repay. "Could my zeal no respite know, could my tears forever flow, all for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and Thou alone."

T:If we ask the question, "What is the problem that must be solved?" I think that can get us to a right understanding of the issue. The problem is that sin separates us from God. In order to be restored to harmony with God, repentance and submission are necessary. Not as an arbitrary requirement on the part of God, but as an actual fact. Repentance is a change of mind, and submission demonstrates that change of mind. As long as one is fighting against God, one cannot be at peace with God.

A:In your model or paradigm, once repentance and submission are accomplished, is that all that's needed? Or is there something else that must be taken care of?

From "The Great Controversy"

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 495)

As far as Lucifer's being restored to harmony with God, this looks like all that was necessary.

If you're talking about man:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761, 762)

This is just dealing with the aspect of man's being brought into harmony with God. There's still the aspect of Lucifer's accusations to be considered.

Quote:
It was in order that the heavenly universe might see the conditions of the covenant of redemption that Christ bore the penalty in behalf of the human race. The throne of Justice must be eternally and forever made secure, even tho the race be wiped out, and another creation populate the earth. By the sacrifice Christ was about to make, all doubts would be forever settled, and the human race would be saved if they would return to their allegiance. Christ alone could restore honor to God’s government. The cross of Calvary would be looked upon by the unfallen worlds, by the heavenly universe, by Satanic agencies, by the fallen race, and every mouth would be stopped....Who is able to describe the last scenes of Christ’s life on earth, His trial in the judgment hall, His crucifixion? Who witnessed these scenes?–The heavenly universe, God the Father, Satan and his angels. (The Signs of the Times, July 12, 1899; emphasis mine)

So, to answer your question, there is something else that needs to be taken care of.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103599
10/13/08 10:20 PM
10/13/08 10:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
R: When the debt is forgiven a price is paid - a price equivalent to the debt; and, as far as the debtor is concerned, forgiveness means to him that his debt is paid, because he no longer owes it.

T: If you owe me $1,000, and I forgive your debt, I don't say I paid myself $1,000. Certainly I wouldn't make the argument that justice would not allow me to forgive your debt unless I paid myself $1,000.

You are changing the analogy. Certainly several comparisons could be made. Your initial comparison had been with a financial debt, therefore I answered accordingly (see Matt. 18). Now you are speaking about justice – this involves a debt with the law, which is a different thing.

But the law just represents God, so it's not a different thing. The law is not a third party to whom God owes something. The debt that's owed is owed to God.

Quote:
If I, as a judge, made a law for whose transgression there is a fine, and you break that law and doesn’t have the money to pay the fine, I (the judge) can pay that fine – that debt – for you and let you go free.

Here's a comment by Waggoner on what we've been discussing:

Quote:
Let the reader try to picture the scene. Here stands the law as the swift witness against the sinner. It cannot change, and it will not call a sinner a righteous man. The convicted sinner tries again and again to obtain righteousness from the law, but it resists all his advances. It cannot be bribed by any amount of penance or professedly good deeds. But here stands Christ, "full of grace" as well as of truth, calling the sinner to Him. At last the sinner, weary of the vain struggle to get righteousness from the law, listens to the voice of Christ and flees to His outstretched arms. Hiding in Christ, he is covered with His righteousness, and now behold! he has obtained, through faith in Christ, that for which he has been vainly striving. He has the righteousness which the law requires, and it is the genuine article, because he obtained it from the Source of Righteousness, from the very place whence the law came. And the law witnesses to the genuineness of this righteousness. It says that so long as the man retains that, it will go into court and defend him against all accusers. It will witness to the fact that he is a righteous man. With the righteousness which is "through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" (Phil. 3:9), Paul was sure that he would stand secure in the day of Christ.

There is in the transaction no ground for finding fault. God is just and at the same time the Justifier of him that believeth in Jesus. In Jesus dwells all the fullness of the Godhead. He is equal with the Father in every attribute. Consequently the redemption that is in Him--the ability to buy back lost man--is infinite. Man's rebellion is against the Son as much as against the Father, since both are one. Therefore, when Christ "gave Himself for our sins," it was the King suffering for the rebellious subjects--the One injured passing by, overlooking, the offence of the offender. No sceptic will deny that any man has the right and privilege of pardoning any offence committed against himself; then why cavil when God exercises the same right? Surely if He wishes to pardon the injury done Himself, He has the right, and more because He vindicates the integrity of His law by submitting in His own Person to the penalty which was due the sinner. "But the innocent suffered for the guilty." True, but the innocent Sufferer "gave himself" voluntarily, in order that He might in justice to His government do what His love prompted, namely, pass by the injury done to Himself as the Ruler of the universe. (Christ And His Righteousness)

This speaks of both a penalty being paid and of God pardoning an injury done to Himself. Do you agree with this?

(continued)

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103600
10/13/08 11:14 PM
10/13/08 11:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. (1 John 3:7)>>

R:Does this refer to absolute or intrinsic righteousness? Of course not.

So what? Intrinsic righteousness has nothing to do with our discussion.

Righteousness is by faith. It's not something we have intrinsically.

The point is that a righteous person is someone who is obedient to the law. When God declares a person righteous, the power of His word makes the person righteous, and he becomes obedient to the law; iow, he is righteous.

Another way of seeing this is by way of the New Covenant. How does one become a partaker of the New Covenant? By believing in Christ. What happens when one does that? The law is written in the heart. What can we say of a person in whose heart the law is written? Such a person is righteous.

Quote:
R:What do you make of 1 John 1:8?

1 John 1:8 ¶ If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

I think John is expressing a similar thought to the following:

Quote:
The nearer we come to Jesus and the more clearly we discern the purity of His character, the more clearly we shall discern the exceeding sinfulness of sin and the less we shall feel like exalting ourselves. Those whom heaven recognizes as holy ones are the last to parade their own goodness. The apostle Peter became a faithful minister of Christ, and he was greatly honored with divine light and power; he had an active part in the upbuilding of Christ's church; but Peter never forgot the fearful experience of his humiliation; his sin was forgiven; yet well he knew that for the weakness of character which had caused his fall only the grace of Christ could avail. He found in himself nothing in which to glory. (COL 160)

Quote:
T:Now if a person is clothed with the garment of Christ righteousness -- which means his heart is united with Christ's heart, his will merged with Christ's will, his mind one with Christ's mind, and living His life -- isn't such a person in fact righteous?

R:Not in the sense of an absolute or intrinsic righteousness.

I don't understand why you are speaking of intrinsic righteousness. When I say "righteous," I mean "righteous" as when the Bible speaks of a person being "righteous." When Abraham believed God, it was imputed to him for righteousness. Abraham was born into the family of God, having become righteous. That righteousness was manifest by obedience ("Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.") the same as for any child of God.

Quote:
Remember that God requires from us a perfect obedience like that of Adam before his fall - this means no sin at all.

This is why He gives us the righteousness of Christ.

Quote:
The apostle Paul, having proved that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, so that by the deeds of the law no flesh shall be justified in His sight, proceeds to say that we are "justified [made righteous] freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus; whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; to declare, I say, at this time his righteousness; that he might be just, and the justifier of him that believeth in Jesus." Rom. 3:24-26.

"Being made righteous freely." How else could it be? Since the best efforts of a sinful man have not the least effect toward producing righteousness, it is evident that the only way it can come to him is as a gift. That righteousness is a gift is plainly stated by Paul in Rom. 5:17: "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by One, Jesus Christ." It is because righteousness is a gift that eternal life, which is the reward of righteousness, is the gift of God, through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Waggoner, ibid.)

Also, this requirement is not something arbitrary. It's a "requirement" as a recognition of fact. In order to be at peace with God, at harmony with Him, we must be righteous, because He is righteous. Otherwise, if sin reigns in our heart, we will have no desire to have anything to do with Him:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. (DA 764)

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what you're claiming sounds like Ford's theology. Are you familiar with Ford's theology? If so, do you agree with it?

No, what I’m claiming sounds like Luther’s theology (simul iustus et peccator)...Ford’s theology is the theology of the evangelicals. He excludes heart renewal from justification and places it in sanctification. Justification for him – and for them - is only a legal pronouncement.

Isn't this exactly what you are doing with COL 312?

Regarding SC 62, I think you're misunderstanding her. The "more than this" is not separate from the declaration of righteousness; it is the declaration of righteousness which changes the heart! God declares the repentant sinner righteousness, and that declaration puts righteousness into the person's heart; he is born again, a changed person.

Quote:
1 Timothy 1:15 Faithful is the word, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom *I* am the first.

Anyone who has seen the cross and understood it will feel like Paul. By the cross, sin is seen as an ugly thing, as something which caused the death of God's dear Son. When we recognize that it was *our* sin which caused His death, that thought pricks our conscience, and we cry out like Paul, that "that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom *I* am chief."

Quote:
I think COL 312 refers to sanctification, not to justification.

You think being covered by the robes of Christ's righteousness is not justification?

Quote:
By the wedding garment in the parable is represented the pure, spotless character which Christ's true followers will possess. (COL 310)

Will anyone be saved who is not a true follower of Christ? If not, then all saved persons will be covered by the garment of Christ's righteousness. Since all true followers of Christ are precisely those, and only those, who are saved, or justified, it follows that those who are covered by Christ's righteousness are exactly those who are justified.

In other words, there are no justified people who are not covered with the robe of Christ's righteousness.

Immediately following she says:

Quote:
It is the righteousness of Christ, His own unblemished character, that through faith is imparted to all who receive Him as their personal Saviour.

Receiving Christ as one's personal Savior is simply another way of saying "justified by faith."

A little while later:

Quote:
This covering, the robe of His own righteousness, Christ will put upon every repenting, believing soul.

Every believing soul, which is to say every justified person, has this robe of righteousness.

Regarding the difference between sanctification and justification, sanctification is the process of a lifetime. It, like justification, is a free gift, by faith in Jesus Christ. Sanctification is the result of justification applied throughout one's life.

Quote:
R: Ellen White doesn't describe this declaration as being addressed to the sinner (and thus making the sinner righteous). She describes this declaration as being addressed to the universe.

"... The Lord imputes unto the believer the righteousness of Christ and pronounces him righteous before the universe. ..." {1SM 392.2}

T: The theology you are suggesting that Ellen White held is simply not possible!

It would be more fruitful if you tried to explain what the passage means, instead of saying this theology is impossible.

I wasn't commenting on the passage, but on the discrepancy between a Ford-like theology (i.e., "legal fiction") and Waggoner's theology. Here's what I said:

Quote:
The theology you are suggesting that Ellen White held is simply not possible! It's impossible that one who had a Ford-like theology could endorse someone who held such a dramatically different understanding of righteousness by faith as Waggoner did. I don't understand how you don't see this.

At any rate, please pardon the hyperbole. I try to catch these and edit them out, but sometimes they get through. I should have said, "I don't see how the theology you are suggesting that Ellen White held could be possible!" etc. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Again, this is one of the aspects of justification, the one Waggoner concentrates in. But there is the other one, the legal one, which EGW mentions and which does not make sense under your theology. I would like you to explain the EGW passages I quote. There is no use in your quoting other EGW (or Waggoner’s) passages which are concentrating in other points.

But they're not concentrating on other points. There's one subject, which is justification by faith. Waggoner wrote hundreds of pages on this subject. I've asked you to select *any* quote of his which deals with the subject.

I've argued that Waggoner could not have been correct in his teachings of righteousness by faith if he was off in regards to his teaching of imputed righteousness, since this is such a cornerstone to understanding righteousness by faith. I have argued that if no comments of Waggoner's can be adduced which are different than what I've been saying, then it's fair to characterize my view as being the same as his. I've argued that since Ellen White endorsed Waggoner's view, and my view is the same as his, she endorsed the ideas I've been presenting.

Quote:
Forgiveness is not merely a judicial act, but it is also a judicial act. What, however, does a judicial act have to do with your theology?

This is discussed in the following quote:

Quote:
Let the reader try to picture the scene. Here stands the law as the swift witness against the sinner. It cannot change, and it will not call a sinner a righteous man. The convicted sinner tries again and again to obtain righteousness from the law, but it resists all his advances. It cannot be bribed by any amount of penance or professedly good deeds. But here stands Christ, "full of grace" as well as of truth, calling the sinner to Him. At last the sinner, weary of the vain struggle to get righteousness from the law, listens to the voice of Christ and flees to His outstretched arms. Hiding in Christ, he is covered with His righteousness, and now behold! he has obtained, through faith in Christ, that for which he has been vainly striving. He has the righteousness which the law requires, and it is the genuine article, because he obtained it from the Source of Righteousness, from the very place whence the law came. And the law witnesses to the genuineness of this righteousness. It says that so long as the man retains that, it will go into court and defend him against all accusers. It will witness to the fact that he is a righteous man. (emphasis mine)

The law testifies to the righteousness that a person has in Christ. Since the righteousness of a person who believes in Christ is the righteousness of Christ Himself, the judicial declaration of the person's being righteous is just. The judicial declaration is a recognition of fact.

Returning to this:

Quote:
I would like you to explain the EGW passages I quote.

Fair enough. I've given a brief description here, but will go back and discuss them in more detail.

I'd like to request the same of you. For example, from the DA 311 quote we read the following:

Quote:
Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin. He came to destroy the works of the devil, and He has made provision that the Holy Spirit shall be imparted to every repentant soul, to keep him from sinning.

Any contrite soul is a justified person, right? That is, one cannot be justified without being contrite. Since Christ "always" separates the contrite soul from sin, it follows that all justified persons are separated from sin. Now the contrite person who is separated from sin is not transgressing the law, but obeying it. Therefore he is not only called righteous, but is righteous, since a righteous person is one who obeys the law.

Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!