HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 71 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104818
11/18/08 07:21 PM
11/18/08 07:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I asked you a question. What does the flood have to do with this? Why are you bringing it up?

Rather than answer my question, you bring up something else. Why are you bringing up Sodom and Gomorrah?

If you're out of the blue going to ask questions about subjects other than what we are talking about, you should provide some sort of motivation for doing so.

Tom, the following questions are relevant to me, which is why I am asking them:

1. Do you think God was being cruel when He drowned alive millions of men, women, and children in the Flood?

2. And, do you think God was being cruel when He burned alive hundreds of men, women, and children in the fires of Sodom?

T: I recall you're saying something similar to this earlier (i.e., similar to what I've quoted here, about their being praise happening when the wicked are being burned alive). I'm understanding correctly that you are now disagreeing with this?

M: They will praise the justice of God. They will not find pleasure in the fact the wicked are being punished according to their sinfulness.

T: Ok, so you're agreeing with the following? "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!" (except for the duration).

Whatever. I've clearly addressed this question and you refuse to believe me. What more can I say to dissuade you from believing a lie?

M: Indeed, God is holy, and whatever He does is holy - even if it doesn't make sense to us even if it is a "strange act".

T: Certainly God is holy, but if we see Him as acting completely contrary to Jesus Christ, doing things like burning people alive to "punish" them, we need to seriously question *our* ideas of God's character, not God's holiness.

It sounds like what is being suggested is that since God is holy, He can do whatever He wants, including cruelly punishing people. Who are we to question His burning people alive? After all, He is God; He can do whatever He wants.

I don't believe either that God is like this, nor that He desires that we view His activities in such a way (i.e., that He can do whatever He wants because He is God.) It's certainly true that God is powerful enough to do whatever He wants, but God does not desire a slavish obedience. He desires that His creatures have an intelligent appreciation of His character, the main feature of which is that God is love.

Quote:
Thus the arch-fiend clothes with his own attributes the Creator and Benefactor of mankind. Cruelty is Satanic. God is love... (GC 534)

Your comments here lead me to ask the two questions posted above (the ones you have yet to answer). Do you consider it cruel because God employed water and fire to drown and burn people alive?

Also, you seem willing to attribute to Satan the judgments of God. How is this different than what was done in the following account:

Korah would not have taken the course he did had he known that all the directions and reproofs communicated to Israel were from God. But he might have known this. God had given overwhelming evidence that He was leading Israel. But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. {PP 404.4}

The Bible describes the punishment of the 250 men who sympathized with Korah and found fault with God: "And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense." Numbers 16:35.

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #104819
11/18/08 07:42 PM
11/18/08 07:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Would you be bringing up the flood as saying that what God did during the flood is the same as what God will ultimately do to those who reject him?

Yes. The same is true of Sodom. In fact, the Bible states it quite nicely, as usual:

Matthew
24:37 But as the days of Noe [were], so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Luke
17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
17:27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
17:28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
17:29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed [them] all.
17:30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

2 Peter
2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast [them] down to hell, and delivered [them] into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth [person], a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
2:6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned [them] with an overthrow, making [them] an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

Jude
1:5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.
1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Originally Posted By: kland
* God would like people to accept Him.
* He gives them opportunities to learn about Him and accept Him.
* However, if they still reject Him, He punishes them even though it is too late to teach, correct, or lead them in the way they should go.
* God then takes great pleasure in His "strange act" of ..... (I'm not sure what you would put here)

Again, what is your definition of punishment and how does that fit in with what you think God does to those who reject Him?

God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. The purpose of punishment is to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. It serves as a deterrent against evil. If sin kills sinners then the record would reflect God ceasing to keep them alive supernaturally and allowing sin to run its course. However, the Bible describes God as the One who will punish and destroy sinners in the lake of fire - not sin. Such punishment is neither cruel nor torture. It is justice.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104831
11/18/08 09:50 PM
11/18/08 09:50 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree with kland's points. Indeed, his example of the dictator is right on point. Do what I say, and I will greatly reward you. But cross me on one small point, and you'll be sorry; you'll suffer my wrath. This is exactly the picture that Satan presents of God, and this is Satan's own character.

But God is not like this. The rewards God promises and the punishments He describes are not things which He arbitrarily gives to those who please Him or smites those who displease Him, but are the natural outworkings of the principles of His government vs. the government of Satan, which is to say self-sacrificing love vs. selfishness. The one leads to happiness and life; the other to misery and death. God doesn't cause these things to happens, but tells us of these things things so we can make responsible decisions.

Regarding the flood and Sodom and Gomorrah, as I explained previously, if you are going to ask questions out of the blue which do not have to do with what we are discussing, it behooves you to explain how these things are relevant. Regarding God's being cruel, I will say that I don't believe is ever cruel, nor ever has been, nor can be; this is not in His character. God is not cruel. He is like Jesus Christ. When we've seen Him, we've seen the Father. Did Jesus ever do anything cruel?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104848
11/19/08 01:00 AM
11/19/08 01:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Did Jesus ever do anything cruel?

No. Not even when He drove out the moneychangers, which was arbitrary, to use your definition. That is, driving them out was not the natural outworking of their sin. It was something Jesus arbitrarily imposed upon them.

There is something else Jesus never did while here - He never withdrew His protection and allowed evil angels to destroy sinners. Does mean God has never done it before?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104849
11/19/08 01:09 AM
11/19/08 01:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Indeed, God is holy, and whatever He does is holy - even if it doesn't make sense to us, even if it is a "strange act". Nothing He does is cruel.

1. Do you think God was being cruel when He drowned alive millions of men, women, and children in the Flood?

2. And, do you think God was being cruel when He burned alive hundreds of men, women, and children in the fires of Sodom?

T: Certainly God is holy, but if we see Him as acting completely contrary to Jesus Christ, doing things like burning people alive to "punish" them, we need to seriously question *our* ideas of God's character, not God's holiness.

It sounds like what is being suggested is that since God is holy, He can do whatever He wants, including cruelly punishing people. Who are we to question His burning people alive? After all, He is God; He can do whatever He wants.

I don't believe either that God is like this, nor that He desires that we view His activities in such a way (i.e., that He can do whatever He wants because He is God.) It's certainly true that God is powerful enough to do whatever He wants, but God does not desire a slavish obedience. He desires that His creatures have an intelligent appreciation of His character, the main feature of which is that God is love.

Quote:
Thus the arch-fiend clothes with his own attributes the Creator and Benefactor of mankind. Cruelty is Satanic. God is love... (GC 534)

Your comments here lead me to ask the two questions posted above (the ones you have yet to answer). My questions are pertinent and relevant to your comments about cruelty. Do you consider it cruel because God employed water and fire to drown and burn people alive?

Also, you seem willing to attribute the judgments of God to Satan. How is this different than what was said and done in the following account. You seem to be saying the same thing.

Quote:
Korah would not have taken the course he did had he known that all the directions and reproofs communicated to Israel were from God. But he might have known this. God had given overwhelming evidence that He was leading Israel. But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. {PP 404.4}

The Bible describes the punishment of the 250 men who sympathized with Korah and found fault with God: "And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense." Numbers 16:35. Was God being cruel? Did He torture them alive?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104856
11/19/08 02:31 AM
11/19/08 02:31 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
No. Not even when He drove out the moneychangers, which was arbitrary, to use your definition. That is, driving them out was not the natural outworking of their sin. It was something Jesus arbitrarily imposed upon them.

No, it wasn't. Only those with a guilty conscience left. Many didn't leave. This is actually a perfect illustration of the point I've been making. Jesus did not arbitrarily do something to force them out, but what happened was that "divinity flashed through humanity," and some were driven out by that.

Quote:
In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

This is the same principle.

Quote:
There is something else Jesus never did while here - He never withdrew His protection and allowed evil angels to destroy sinners. Does mean God has never done it before?

There's quite a number of illustrations of this. The best is probably Jerusalem:

Quote:
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.(Matt.23:37, 38)

Quote:
Your comments here lead me to ask the two questions posted above (the ones you have yet to answer). My questions are pertinent and relevant to your comments about cruelty. Do you consider it cruel because God employed water and fire to drown and burn people alive?

As I've explained, if you are going to bring up questions out of the blue which seem to have nothing to do with the subject at hand, you should provide some motivations for these questions. Simply asserting that they are relevant is not an to the question as to why they are relevant. Why are they relevant?

Also, didn't I answer your questions? I said God has never been cruel.

Quote:
Also, you seem willing to attribute the judgments of God to Satan.

This reminds me of a bad marriage. When having a discussion about some issue, rather than dealing with the issue, the spouse brings up something from years ago. Please, let's stay on topic!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #104857
11/19/08 02:36 AM
11/19/08 02:36 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Also, you seem willing to attribute the judgments of God to Satan. How is this different than what was said and done in the following account. You seem to be saying the same thing.

[quote]Korah would not have taken the course he did had he known that all the directions and reproofs communicated to Israel were from God. But he might have known this. God had given overwhelming evidence that He was leading Israel. But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. {PP 404.4}

this sounds like moses and aaron were accused of calling on satan to execute korah and company.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104861
11/19/08 03:42 AM
11/19/08 03:42 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
... I said God has never been cruel.

Cruel, no. Just, yes. Decisive, yes. Righteously indignant, yes. Judge, yes. Lawgiver, yes. Executioner, yes.

A law without a consequence would be worthless.

A law, whose penalty were executed by its enemy, would be worthless.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #104863
11/19/08 03:57 AM
11/19/08 03:57 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. (GC 36)

Sin is what causes people to die, not God. God warns us of the terrible effects of sin, of which death is the inevitable result.

That the law has consequences is made clear by the fact that sin causes death, since sin is the transgression of the law. If sin did not cause death, then transgression of the law would *not* have consequences, unless God arbitrarily did something to those who broke it.

Is sin innocuous? If so, then yes, God would have to impose consequences upon those who break the law. If no, then God doesn't need to arbitrarily add something on top of what sin already does to those who refuse to be healed of it.

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

The death of the wicked is not due to an arbitrary act of God, but is rather the result of their own choice. At first, the angels did not understand this, so God could not "leave" Satan to "perish," which is "the inevitable result of sin," because had God done so, this action would have been understood as Him doing the very thing that Satan accused Him of.

kland had a nice quote which touched on this idea, about the dictator.

Regardless of this point, burning people alive, while supernaturally keeping them alive to prolong their suffering, would be unspeakably cruel.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104864
11/19/08 04:43 AM
11/19/08 04:43 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

Having people punish themselves makes about as much sense as the Buddhist belief that people will just "automagically" go to a higher or lower level of life in their next incarnation. Buddhists do not believe in God. They have no substitute for God, unless one considers oneself as the substitute.

If you ask a Buddhist where bad people go, they know that bad people go to a lower level in their next life. If you ask where the good people go, of course it's to a higher level. If you ask the Buddhist if he believes he is good, he will say yes. If you ask him if all people believe they are good, they will agree that this is probably true. But they know that not all people are good. The next question you might ask is unanswerable: they cannot answer this. "Who, then, decides whether you advance or descend in your next life?"

Buddhism has no Judge. Christianity has a Judge.

A judge without power to give sentence would be no judge.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 36 of 71 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!