HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 38 of 100 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109047
02/27/09 03:48 AM
02/27/09 03:48 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
T:I've asked you this several times, but to the best of my recollection you've not responded. What makes you think God is capable of doing the things you're accusing Him of?

B:In the case of the previous post and the details I am asking the reader to respond to -- I am not quoting me but Ellen White and her use of scripture so it is not me "Accusing God" I am simply asking the reader to deal with the details in the text.

You're quoting her words, but giving them a meaning she never intended,

Actually in my prior post with this question list -- I gave no comment -- I quoted Ellen White and then asked to have these questions addressed.

============================================
Questions for the reader.

1. What does the phrase “His fury upon all their armies” refer too in the text above”?
2. What does the phrase “Suffer the full penalty of sin in the fires” refer to – in the text above?
3. Is it the same as the phrase above “The full penalty of the LAW has been visited ”??
4. When the text speaks of those who “suffer for many days” does this mean all or just some?
5. When the text says that by comparison “he is still to live and suffer on” after all others have perished… is that fair?
6. In the text the argument is made that in this way “the demands of justice have been met” is that really true as you see it?
7. In the text above when it is said that ”punishment is far greater” for Satan than for others suffering there – are ALL punished??

------------------------------------------

If you could have made your case "in the text" then these questions were perfectly tailored for you to do so.

Apparently it is not possible.

Which was my point.

What would cause you to view God in such a manner, as being capable of doing the things you are suggesting?

That is easy -- I took the time to read the text below and then answer those questions "from the text" not my own preference.

[quote]
Responding by saying that you are repeating what the texts say is insufficient.

"Insufficient" is not addressing the answer to the questions at all and avoiding the text altogether where it is disconfirming to your model. Surely you can see that.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/27/09 03:54 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109048
02/27/09 03:50 AM
02/27/09 03:50 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Since this is a "new page" (the way my viewer has it) and I don't want the reader to have to flip back a page for the source text for those questions above --

here it is.

Quote:

http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter01998.htm

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin.

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}
[/color]

Quote:

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31.

They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1.

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Great Controversy P 486
http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter01984.htm

In the typical service the high priest, having made the atonement for Israel, came forth and blessed the congregation. So Christ, at the close of His work as mediator, will appear, "without sin unto salvation" (Hebrews 9:28), to bless His waiting people with eternal life. As the priest, in removing the sins from the sanctuary, confessed them upon the head of the scapegoat, so Christ will place all these sins upon Satan, the originator and instigator of sin. The scapegoat, bearing the sins of Israel, was sent away "unto a land not inhabited" (Leviticus 16:22); so Satan, bearing the guilt of all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit, will be for a thousand years confined to the earth, which will then be desolate, without inhabitant, and he will at last suffer the
full penalty of sin in the fires that shall destroy all the wicked. [/b]
; Thus the great plan of redemption will reach its accomplishment in the final eradication of sin and the deliverance of all who have been willing to renounce evil. {GC 485.3}

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/27/09 03:50 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109049
02/27/09 03:59 AM
02/27/09 03:59 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan

============================================
Questions for the reader.

1. What does the phrase “His fury upon all their armies” refer too in the text above”?
2. What does the phrase “Suffer the full penalty of sin in the fires” refer to – in the text above?
3. Is it the same as the phrase above “The full penalty of the LAW has been visited ”??
4. When the text speaks of those who “suffer for many days” does this mean all or just some?
5. When the text says that by comparison “he is still to live and suffer on” after all others have perished… is that fair?
6. In the text the argument is made that in this way “the demands of justice have been met” is that really true as you see it?
7. In the text above when it is said that ”punishment is far greater” for Satan than for others suffering there – are ALL punished??

------------------------------------------

If you could have made your case "in the text" then these questions were perfectly tailored for you to do so.

Which was my point.

The other statements I've presented explain this, Bob.

How is it that ignoring the text is your way of "interpreting it"??

In addition to asking, "What does the text say?" is asking "What did the author mean?"

Any denomination may be created by ignoring the text and simply hand waiving of the form "This is what John meant to write here in this part of the Bible -- instead of what you actually see written there".

hopefully we can all agree on that point.

To be accurate with the text - you have to be willing to address the details found in it even though you may not be pleased by those details.

You keep getting stuck on that point.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109050
02/27/09 04:02 AM
02/27/09 04:02 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Hint -- you have no quote at all from Ellen White or the Bible saying that at the 2nd coming of Christ it is really Satan that is coming or it is really Satan that is ording Christ's death angel to kill all that do not have the seal of God -- or that it is Satan's final plague that is described or that it is Satan's brightness that kills -- and would have killed even Moses according to God.

The disconfirming details on this point are mounting when it comes to the view you are holding to --

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109053
02/27/09 05:43 AM
02/27/09 05:43 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
http://spiritlessons.com/documents/7_jovenes/English_7_Jovenes_Hell.htm

would this be a good picture of how you see it going down, brother bob?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #109068
02/27/09 03:00 PM
02/27/09 03:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Which was my point.

She said that, the same as we do when studying Scripture, that we should consider what all she wrote on the topic. By considering things in isolation, out of context, all sorts of false doctrines originate.

Quote:
T:What would cause you to view God in such a manner, as being capable of doing the things you are suggesting?

B:That is easy -- I took the time to read the text below and then answer those questions "from the text" not my own preference.

T:Responding by saying that you are repeating what the texts say is insufficient.

B:"Insufficient" is not addressing the answer to the questions at all and avoiding the text altogether where it is disconfirming to your model. Surely you can see that.

I've given a long, detailed answer to your question, going through each point your raised, one by one. On the other hand, you are dodging my question altogether.

I'm very interested in your thinking on this point. I'm not talking about in terms of regurgitating texts, but with what goes on inside of your head.

Without reference to any specific text, just on general principles, what makes you think that God is capable of committing that act of burning people alive, and supernaturally extending their lives so that their excruciating pain will continue? I don't mean capable in terms of power, but in terms of character.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109070
02/27/09 03:14 PM
02/27/09 03:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

This refers to the principles discussed previously in the GC 35, 36, 14 MR 3 quotes and so forth.

Quote:

This was discussed previously as well.

Quote:

As has this. I'll comment briefly again, however, on this one.

The law, properly understood, is descriptive. It's principles are not arbitrary (i.e. manufacture, imposed), but reflect reality. Those who transgress it are punished, not as an arbitrary consequence for breaking some rule, but because its principles, being founded on love, are the principles of life.

Since punishment is organic to sin, which is transgression of the law, when God removes His mercy (which prevents those who transgress the law from experiencing the result of their sin) at that point the full punishment of the law is rendered. DA 764 describes this principle. For example, it states that had God "left" Satan and his host to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished (i.e., received the full penalty of the law).

Quote:

She says some suffer for many hours, and some for many days.

Quote:

Yes. All suffer in proportion to their sin and light. This is not an arbitrary (i.e. manufactured) punishment, but is organic to sin itself. This principle is touched upon by Christ in John 3. Sin does not like light.

Quote:

Yes. The demands of justice are met when those who have sinned are left to reap the full results of their sin.

Quote:
7. In the text above when it is said that ”punishment is far greater” for Satan than for others suffering there – are ALL punished?

You mean all the wicked in the judgment? If so, yes, all the wicked in the judgment are punished.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109071
02/27/09 03:25 PM
02/27/09 03:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Any denomination may be created by ignoring the text and simply hand waiving of the form "This is what John meant to write here in this part of the Bible -- instead of what you actually see written there".

hopefully we can all agree on that point.

This isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying the really important thing is to understand the intent of the author, to understand what he wanted to communicate, what he meant.

Quote:
To be accurate with the text - you have to be willing to address the details found in it even though you may not be pleased by those details.

To understand the meaning of the author, one should take into account many things, including, but not limited to, the context, the setting, and what the author has written on the same subject elsewhere. In the case of Scripture, this involves even more, taking into account not only what the given author has written on the subject, but what other authors in Scripture have written on the subject.

Quote:
Hint -- you have no quote at all from Ellen White or the Bible saying that at the 2nd coming of Christ it is really Satan that is coming or it is really Satan that is ording Christ's death angel to kill all that do not have the seal of God -- or that it is Satan's final plague that is described or that it is Satan's brightness that kills -- and would have killed even Moses according to God.

The disconfirming details on this point are mounting when it comes to the view you are holding to -

Slow down Bob. Take your time. Split the sentences up. Check the spelling. This is very difficult to decipher.

Why don't you quote something I wrote, and ask me to provide some quote in reference to that? I don't recognize my own thoughts in what you wrote above.

"Satan's brightness that kills". Where did you get that idea?

"Really Satan that is coming" "Really Satan that is oding Christ's death angel." Where do these ideas come from?

Please quote something I've actually written.

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #109086
02/27/09 06:24 PM
02/27/09 06:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
http://spiritlessons.com/documents/7_jovenes/English_7_Jovenes_Hell.htm

would this be a good picture of how you see it going down, brother bob?

Teresaq, what did Bob say that makes you wonder if his view of heaven and hell is similar to what those Colombian youth saw in vision?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109088
02/27/09 06:29 PM
02/27/09 06:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Bob, thank you for taking the time to clearly state your position on this unlovely topic. The fire that burns up the rubble and rubbish of earth is the same fire that causes the wicked to suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. Neither the Bible nor the SOP could be more clear about it. Of course this is not to say the physical firelight of God's glory and presence has no part in it because clearly it does.

Page 38 of 100 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!