HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 55 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109352
03/04/09 02:42 AM
03/04/09 02:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, the fact you didn't post an inspired quote that says people are born again practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to experiencing conversion suggests it isn't true.

I cited the following inspired quote:

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. (3SM 217)

Excellent counsel! An alternative suggestion is that she expected her reader to follow this counsel!

My whole life I've never encountered anyone who's interpreted her writings on this subject like you are. Perhaps this is evidence that you're reading into her writings something she didn't expect someone would do, hence she didn't cover it. That's possible, isn't it?

Quote:
BTW, which one of the following sins do you think born again believers might practice ignorantly and also explain why:

FOTAP

Quote:
If you agree, though, that no truly born again believer will practice any of these sins ignorantly, then please name a sin they might practice ignorantly and why. Please post an inspired quote to verify it, that is, a quote that says this particular sin might be practiced in ignorance after rebirth.

PS - Typically at this point in the discussion you complain that such a request misses the point and you refuse to honor it. Or, you argue that what really matters is the character of God and the sinless example of Jesus and that focusing on sin is unproductive or even counterproductive. For this reason we never finish this discussion. So, please humor me and honor my request. Thank you. Can you imagine Jesus ignoring my sincere request?

I've pointed out several times now that you also agree with me on this point, which makes it rather ironic you would respond this way.

Sabbath-breaking is one I've mentioned. Drinking and smoking are two others. Living with someone is another. Polygamy is another. Divorce is another one that comes to mind, although I don't know if I've mentioned this before.

I've mentioned Luther and someone else, Spurgeon, that's it, and William Miller. You dismissed these as being in the "Dark Ages," although Spurgeon was born after Ellen White, IIRC.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109388
03/04/09 04:19 PM
03/04/09 04:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
My whole life I've never encountered anyone who's interpreted her writings on this subject like you are. Perhaps this is evidence that you're reading into her writings something she didn't expect someone would do, hence she didn't cover it. That's possible, isn't it?

No, it's not possible. But it makes sense that you think so. You'd have to since you believe common sense dictates it. Such a position, though, is built on sand. If the idea is so common one would be tempted to think inspired writers would at least mention it in passing. But, as you are quick to admit, not one inspired person mentioned it.

M: BTW, which one of the following sins do you think born again believers might practice ignorantly and also explain why:

T: FOTAP

Are you implying common sense dictates that of course some of the sins listed in the passages I posted above are practiced ignorantly by certain born again believers?

Sabbath-breaking is one I've mentioned. Drinking and smoking are two others. Living with someone is another. Polygamy is another. Divorce is another one that comes to mind, although I don't know if I've mentioned this before. I've mentioned Luther and someone else, Spurgeon, that's it, and William Miller. You dismissed these as being in the "Dark Ages," although Spurgeon was born after Ellen White, IIRC.

Of the sins you listed above which ones do you believe were excluded in the passages I posted above? Actually, I'll repost them here:

Mark
7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Romans
1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109394
03/04/09 06:51 PM
03/04/09 06:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:My whole life I've never encountered anyone who's interpreted her writings on this subject like you are. Perhaps this is evidence that you're reading into her writings something she didn't expect someone would do, hence she didn't cover it. That's possible, isn't it?

M:No, it's not possible.

Interesting! It's not possible that you're reading something into her writings! It helps me understand some of the things you've written in the past, where you perceive me as being very sure of myself and unwilling to admit the possibility of error (since we tend to view others according to our own view of things).

Speaking for myself, there are a number of things I have believed in the past that I felt absolutely sure were true that I no longer believe, so I am guarded in both my own understanding of things and how I express myself. For example, I'll say things "this makes no sense to me" and explain why. But to assert that it's not possible that I'm in error is a bit much for me to swallow.

But I'm glad you clarified this, as, again, it helps to understand your behavior.

If you think you're incapable of error, it would seem that your comments in regards to things I should to do influence you to change your mind are a bit ingenuous. If you're incapable of being in error, how could you change your mind?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109445
03/05/09 08:43 PM
03/05/09 08:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, man oh man did you ever end up on the wrong side of the road on this point. My response to your question has nothing whatsoever to do with me claiming infallibility. I was simply disagreeing with your idea that Ellen never wrote about it because she took it for granted. By "it" I mean your idea she assumed her readers understood her to mean (in the following types of passages) that people are born again still practicing some of the old man sins and habits they cultivated prior to rebirth.

Quote:
The old sinful life is dead, the new life entered into with Christ by the pledge of baptism. Practice the virtues of the Saviour's character. Let His word "dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him" [verses 16, 17]. {19MR 236.2}

These things are to be presented in the churches. Love, compassion, and tenderness are to be revealed amongst us. Put on, as the elect of God, mercy and kindness. The sins that were practiced before conversion are to be put off with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {19MR 236.3}

Since it isn't clear in these types of passages that she assumed we would interpret them to agree with your idea, please post passages which clearly say it, namely, passages that clearly say people are born again practicing some of the old man sins and habits they cultivated prior to rebirth. Nor am I talking about passages you believe infer or imply your view.

I'm asking you to post passages where she clearly says people are born again nowadays practicing some of the old man sins and habits they cultivated prior to rebirth. I realize you think the fact people like Luther will be in heaven proves Ellen expected her readers to interpret passages like the one quoted above to mean people are born again still practicing some of the old man sins and habits they cultivated prior to rebirth; however, since it doesn't specifically say so, please passages that do not require what you believe amounts to logical deduction.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109447
03/05/09 08:51 PM
03/05/09 08:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: BTW, which one of the following sins do you think born again believers might practice ignorantly and also explain why:

T: FOTAP

Are you implying common sense dictates that of course some of the sins listed in the passages I posted above (and again below) are practiced ignorantly by certain born again believers?

Sabbath-breaking is one I've mentioned. Drinking and smoking are two others. Living with someone is another. Polygamy is another. Divorce is another one that comes to mind, although I don't know if I've mentioned this before. I've mentioned Luther and someone else, Spurgeon, that's it, and William Miller. You dismissed these as being in the "Dark Ages," although Spurgeon was born after Ellen White, IIRC.

Do you think any of the sins you just listed above were excluded in the passages I reposted below? If not, do you think the kind of people you named above were ignorant of the fact they are prohibited in the passages below? If so, why didn't God enlighten them? Didn't it matter to God that they were ignorantly doing the very things these passages say will keep people out of heaven?

Mark
7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

Romans
1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109450
03/05/09 11:19 PM
03/05/09 11:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #109445, no, MM, this isn't the point.

I wrote:

Quote:

So the context is a view of yours which nobody else holds. Now everybody believes that born again people give up sins of which they are aware when they believe in Christ. What's the view you hold that nobody else holds? (that I'm aware of) It's that people give up sins of which they aren't aware.

Here's your argument:

Quote:
Tom, the fact you didn't post an inspired quote that says people are born again practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to experiencing conversion suggests it isn't true.

Now the sins a born again person has before being born again can be split into two categories:

1.Sins of which they are aware.
2.Sins of which they are not aware.

When Ellen White says they no longer practice the sins they practiced before conversion, I'm assuming she means sins of which they are aware, which is so intuitively obvious that she felt no need to clarify that she didn't have in mind sins of which a person is not aware, because how can one give up a sin of which one is not aware?

So, since you have a unique viewpoint on this question, I'm asking if it's possible that you might be reading something more into what she wrote than she intended.

Quote:
I realize you think the fact people like Luther will be in heaven proves Ellen expected her readers to interpret passages like the one quoted above to mean people are born again still practicing some of the old man sins and habits they cultivated prior to rebirth; however, since it doesn't specifically say so, please passages that do not require what you believe amounts to logical deduction.

The only alternative would be that Luther's not in heaven, wouldn't it be? What's wrong with logic deduction?

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense.(3SM 217)

What's wrong with following this advice?

In Luther's case, we know he continued to drink, and do other questionable things (e.g. his attitude towards Jews). So, don't we either have to conclude that Luther wasn't born again, or your view on this is wrong?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109454
03/06/09 02:12 AM
03/06/09 02:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Are you implying common sense dictates that of course some of the sins listed in the passages I posted above are practiced ignorantly by certain born again believers?

No. I'm pointing out that your question is based on an assumed premise, which is that the sin of which the born again person is unaware is on the list. When you ask "which" that assumes existence, which is an assumed premise.

Quote:
Of the sins you listed above which ones do you believe were excluded in the passages I posted above? Actually, I'll repost them here:

This is another example of the same thing. Note the use of "which." These type of questions are like the question, "Did you stop beating your wife?" (which assumes you were beating your wife to start with)

Quote:

Do you think any of the sins you just listed above were excluded in the passages I reposted below?

Much better! Yes, I do. I think when a person is converted, it's like an onion. The top layers are peeled off, which corresponds to that which is known. But there are sins we can commit of which we are not aware, of which Luther, Spurgeon and Miller are examples.

Quote:
If so, why didn't God enlighten them? Didn't it matter to God that they were ignorantly doing the very things these passages say will keep people out of heaven?

Our paradigms don't change overnight. For example, you don't believe Moses clearly explained the meaning of Christ's death. You also don't believe that Jesus Christ did so, nor John, nor Paul. Before you can see that Moses was clear (a huge paradigm shift) you would need to see that Jesus did so (a much smaller paradigm shift). Similarly before God can tackle more subtle things, the more overt things are dealt with.

Apparently you have the idea that God can reveal all of our sins at once. This is based on, IMO, on a superficial view of sin.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109491
03/06/09 09:09 PM
03/06/09 09:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Now everybody believes that born again people give up sins of which they are aware when they believe in Christ.

Are you sure everybody believes this way? I ask this question because most people I meet are of the opinion that believers gradually outgrow their known old man habits of sin (i.e. spiritual devolution).

What's the view you hold that nobody else holds? (that I'm aware of) It's that people give up sins of which they aren't aware.

Well, then, you'll be happy to learn that I do not think people must first confess and crucify the sinful habits they are unknowingly cultivating before they can experience the miracle of rebirth.

Now the sins a born again person has before being born again can be split into two categories:

1. Sins of which they are aware.
2. Sins of which they are not aware.

This division is too vague. I prefer the following classification of believers:

1. Born again believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

2. Born again believers who are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded, who are imitating His sinless example.

When Ellen White says they no longer practice the sins they practiced before conversion, I'm assuming she means sins of which they are aware, which is so intuitively obvious that she felt no need to clarify that she didn't have in mind sins of which a person is not aware, because how can one give up a sin of which one is not aware?

I'm glad you admit this idea is based on an assumption. I think it assumes she is describing the first class of believers I described above. The question is - Why do you insist she had this class of believers in mind when she wrote, "The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3} How do you know she wasn't referring to the other class of believers?

So, since you have a unique viewpoint on this question, I'm asking if it's possible that you might be reading something more into what she wrote than she intended.

Here you seem to think your assumption above is true and right. But how can you be so sure?

The only alternative would be that Luther's not in heaven, wouldn't it be? What's wrong with logic deduction?

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense.(3SM 217)

What's wrong with following this advice?

There is the other alternative you haven't thought of yet, namely, that she wasn't describing someone like Luther, that she was instead describing someone like Peter, Paul, James, and John. Such a view doesn't require higher education or the use of fanciful deduction.

In Luther's case, we know he continued to drink, and do other questionable things (e.g. his attitude towards Jews). So, don't we either have to conclude that Luther wasn't born again, or your view on this is wrong?

Again, there is the other alternative you haven't thought of yet.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109492
03/06/09 09:53 PM
03/06/09 09:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
Mark

Romans

Galatians

M: Are you implying common sense dictates that of course some of the sins listed in the passages I posted above are practiced ignorantly by certain born again believers?

T: No. I'm pointing out that your question is based on an assumed premise, which is that the sin of which the born again person is unaware is on the list. When you ask "which" that assumes existence, which is an assumed premise.

I'll rephrase my question. Do you think it is possible for someone to ignorantly practice one or more of the sins listed above after they experience the miracle of rebirth? Please elaborate.

Quote:
T: Sabbath-breaking is one I've mentioned. Drinking and smoking are two others. Living with someone is another. Polygamy is another. Divorce is another one that comes to mind, although I don't know if I've mentioned this before.

M: Do you think any of the sins you just listed above are excluded in the passages I posted above?

T: Yes, I do. I think when a person is converted, it's like an onion. The top layers are peeled off, which corresponds to that which is known. But there are sins we can commit of which we are not aware, of which Luther, Spurgeon and Miller are examples.

Thank you for answering my question.

Quote:
M: If so, why didn't God enlighten them? Didn't it matter to God that they were ignorantly doing the very things these passages say will keep people out of heaven?

T: Our paradigms don't change overnight.

Do you think it didn't matter to God that they were ignorantly doing the very things the passages above say will keep people out of heaven? This, of course, assumes you believe those passages do indeed say doing such things will keep people out of heaven - do you?

Quote:
T: For example, you don't believe Moses clearly explained the meaning of Christ's death. You also don't believe that Jesus Christ did so, nor John, nor Paul. Before you can see that Moses was clear (a huge paradigm shift) you would need to see that Jesus did so (a much smaller paradigm shift). Similarly before God can tackle more subtle things, the more overt things are dealt with.

Apparently you have misunderstood what I believe about it. I do totally believe Moses, Jesus, John, and Paul understood and clearly taught it. It's just that it wasn't written down in the Bible. Do you see the difference between what you think I believe and what I actually believe?

Quote:
T: Apparently you have the idea that God can reveal all of our sins at once. This is based on, IMO, on a superficial view of sin.

Once again you'll be happy to learn I do not believe God overwhelms people by showing them the sinfulness of their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross in one fell swoop. Although He does it gently it, nevertheless, is still very painful for them. Listen:

One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

If you'll recall, I happen to believe that God created people with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong, that they know when they are cultivating habits that go against their conscience and convictions, and that whether they know it or not the resulting character traits are in violation of the last six commandments.

As such, no one can do anything that breaks one of the last six commandments without realizing they are doing something morally wrong (which is not to say they know about the law in the Bible). The difference during the process of conversion, before they experience rebirth, is that the Holy Spirit reveals their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross. It is this revelation that can result in rebirth.

Whether or not a person is in the first or second classification I named above depends on several factors, namely, if they've learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded or not. BTW, seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross does not leave them with a shallow view of the sinfulness of sin, as the SC passage I posted above clearly says.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109512
03/07/09 04:31 AM
03/07/09 04:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Now everybody believes that born again people give up sins of which they are aware when they believe in Christ.

M:Are you sure everybody believes this way? I ask this question because most people I meet are of the opinion that believers gradually outgrow their known old man habits of sin (i.e. spiritual devolution).

I was referring to people on this forum. I'm not aware of anyone on this forum who does not believe that a born again person gives up their known sins when converted.

Quote:
T:Now the sins a born again person has before being born again can be split into two categories:

1. Sins of which they are aware.
2. Sins of which they are not aware.

M:This division is too vague.

This isn't vague at all. It's precise.

Quote:
I prefer the following classification of believers:

1. Born again believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

2. Born again believers who are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded, who are imitating His sinless example.

Now this is vague! A sin of which one is not aware is something that anybody can understand. What you're talking about is as clear as mud.

To try to clarify, where does Luther fit into this? Was he born again under your definition or not?

Quote:
T:When Ellen White says they no longer practice the sins they practiced before conversion, I'm assuming she means sins of which they are aware, which is so intuitively obvious that she felt no need to clarify that she didn't have in mind sins of which a person is not aware, because how can one give up a sin of which one is not aware?

M:I'm glad you admit this idea is based on an assumption. I think it assumes she is describing the first class of believers I described above.

Which is what? This class includes people like Luther, William Miller and Spurgeon?

Quote:
The question is - Why do you insist she had this class of believers in mind when she wrote, "The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3} How do you know she wasn't referring to the other class of believers?

For the reason I pointed out. It's common sense that a person can't give up a sin of which he is not aware. How could one think otherwise?

Quote:
T:So, since you have a unique viewpoint on this question, I'm asking if it's possible that you might be reading something more into what she wrote than she intended.

M:Here you seem to think your assumption above is true and right. But how can you be so sure?

This doesn't answer my question. Please, answer my question, and then ask yours.

Quote:
T:The only alternative would be that Luther's not in heaven, wouldn't it be? What's wrong with logic deduction?

EGW:God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense.(3SM 217)

T:What's wrong with following this advice?

M:There is the other alternative you haven't thought of yet, namely, that she wasn't describing someone like Luther, that she was instead describing someone like Peter, Paul, James, and John. Such a view doesn't require higher education or the use of fanciful deduction.

But I'm asking about Luther. So this isn't an alternative. Will Luther be in heaven or not? That's a simple enough question.

Quote:
T:In Luther's case, we know he continued to drink, and do other questionable things (e.g. his attitude towards Jews). So, don't we either have to conclude that Luther wasn't born again, or your view on this is wrong?

M:Again, there is the other alternative you haven't thought of yet.

You're simply avoiding the question. What's your answer to the question?

Page 48 of 55 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!