HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 58 of 100 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: William] #110095
03/17/09 08:16 PM
03/17/09 08:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Hey William! Thanks for the input.

When you say "Stephen Bohr, Jeff Reich, Marvin Moore, and Ivor Myers as possible supporters of this view," what do you mean by "this view"? It looks like everyone you are mentioning has the same idea; is that right?

Actually, I think everybody would agree with this statement:

Quote:
God punishes, kills, and completely destroys in agreement with the justice aspect His character.

The question is how this operates. For example, in "The Great Controversy" we read:

Quote:
Looking down the ages, He saw the covenant people scattered in every land, "like wrecks on a desert shore." In the temporal retribution about to fall upon her children, He saw but the first draft from that cup of wrath which at the final judgment she must drain to its dregs. Divine pity, yearning love, found utterance in the mournful words: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" O that thou, a nation favored above every other, hadst known the time of thy visitation, and the things that belong unto thy peace! I have stayed the angel of justice, I have called thee to repentance, but in vain. It is not merely servants, delegates, and prophets, whom thou hast refused and rejected, but the Holy One of Israel, thy Redeemer. If thou art destroyed, thou alone art responsible. "Ye will not come to Me, that ye might have life." Matthew 23:37; John 5:40. (GC 21)

I underlined the part of interest: "I have stayed the angel of justice."

How did this angel of justice strike, when it could no longer be stayed?

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 36)

This whole chapter is a good read on the subject.

We see that when the limit is passed, then the angel of justice strikes, which is accomplished by the rejectors of His mercy to reap that which they have sown.

Where there's a difference of opinion is if this description is a general one of how God operates, or if it was an isolated incident, applicable to the destruction of Jerusalem, but not other cases.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110114
03/18/09 02:13 AM
03/18/09 02:13 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Good ideas, all. And, yes, I see what you're saying about the method of operation. And what I meant was, those gents would each appear to agree that God kills based on their willingness to add a blurb for Wohlberg's book.

I'm afraid this topic is rather new to me so I have no strong opinion (as of yet), and mentioned the book's existence only as a reference point and conversation piece. Unfortunately, I cannot yet comment in depth at the moment. Carry on, mates.

William

Last edited by William; 03/18/09 04:00 AM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: does God punish? [Re: William] #110119
03/18/09 02:39 AM
03/18/09 02:39 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: William
Hello, pardon the interruption. I just recently received a book by Steve Wohlberg and Chris Lewis entitled, The Character of God Controversy, and I believe they conclude that indeed God punishes, kills, and completely destroys in agreement with the justice aspect His character.

Also, in flipping to the back of the book, one can see names like Stephen Bohr, Jeff Reich, Marvin Moore, and Ivor Myers as possible supporters of this view. These, then, it appears, have taken the authors side of the issue. I share this simply as food for thought in this discussion.

William

Thank you for the interesting note.

What this really boils down to is a very simply difference in view that has in fact a very simple test. Do the people listed there - show any indication at all that they believe that content, context and writing style of passages such as following pages of quotes from Ellen White dictate that reader take the details as "real" and "true" or as simply exaggerated figures of speech?

Do the people listed there suppose that Ellen White is using a writing style intended to tell the reader NOT to take the details as "real" in the following two examples?

===============================================================================

Great Controversy - 673

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

EW 294

The Second Death

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together.

I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but
also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. There was not a single sign of the curse. The broken, uneven surface of the earth now looked like a level, extensive plain.

=======================================================

There is a follow on question about what to DO about the fact that the author writing in a style that would have the reader taking the details as actual fact. But that is step-2.

I would settle for the obvious on step-1.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/18/09 02:44 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: William] #110121
03/18/09 04:27 AM
03/18/09 04:27 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Hello, pardon the interruption. I just recently received a book by Steve Wohlberg and Chris Lewis entitled, The Character of God Controversy, and I believe they conclude that indeed God punishes, kills, and completely destroys in agreement with the justice aspect His character.

Also, in flipping to the back of the book, one can see names like Stephen Bohr, Jeff Reich, Marvin Moore, and Ivor Myers as possible supporters of this view. These, then, it appears, have taken the authors side of the issue. I share this simply as food for thought in this discussion.

William

i havent read the book so i dont know what it says, but it has been discussed on a couple of forums. there are a couple of forums that discuss the character of God and apparently some statements quoted in that book were not representative of the movement.

one of the forums does have a few "interesting characters" but i can assure you they speak for themselves, not the movement, nor the forums.

perhaps you would like to know for yourself what the character of God people believe, i hope? i find some of the discussions quite enlightening while others i could do without. smile

there are some in that movement that apparently do believe God never kills. it is an interesting perspective that i have not adopted, but am willing to listen to, tho, at the moment i still believe God has intervened at certain points.

there are articles that explain the perspective very well, should you be interested...

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #110122
03/18/09 04:39 AM
03/18/09 04:39 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Bob, I'm sorry, but not sure if the series of questions were addressed to me concerning the individuals who gave blurbs. I understand the quotations to be rather literal, personally, if you are asking me directly.

I'm not sure why anyone should think otherwise, which is why I'm uncertain what you're arguing for, regarding how these two quotations are incongruent with the idea of God punishing, killing, and annihilating? If this comment was addressed to someone else, my apologizes.

William

Last edited by William; 03/18/09 05:01 AM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: does God punish? [Re: William] #110128
03/18/09 02:46 PM
03/18/09 02:46 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I had come across this passage and thought it may apply here:

Quote:
"And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague."

In this instance the Lord gave the people that which was not for their best good, because they would have it. They would not submit to receive from the Lord those things which would prove for their good. They gave themselves up to seditious murmurings against Moses, and against the Lord, because they did not receive those things which would prove an injury to them. Their depraved appetites controlled them, and God gave them flesh meats, as they desired, and He let them suffer the results of gratifying their lustful appetites. Burning fevers cut down very large numbers of the people. Those who had been most guilty in their murmurings were slain as soon as they tasted the meat for which they had lusted. If they had submitted to have the Lord select their food for them, and had been thankful and satisfied for food which they could eat freely of without injury, they would not have lost the favor of God, and then been punished for their rebellious murmurings by great numbers of them being slain. {CD 377}

How was the wrath of the Lord kindled, how did the Lord smite the people? He gave them what they desired, let them suffer the results. What did Ellen White call this action? He punished them.

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #110141
03/18/09 05:02 PM
03/18/09 05:02 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quite generous, TeresaQ. I'll jostle with the offer a tad. Thank you.

William

Last edited by William; 03/18/09 05:14 PM.

Re: does God punish? [Re: William] #110155
03/18/09 06:39 PM
03/18/09 06:39 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Bob, I'm sorry, but not sure if the series of questions were addressed to me concerning the individuals who gave blurbs. I understand the quotations to be rather literal, personally, if you are asking me directly.

I'm not sure why anyone should think otherwise, which is why I'm uncertain what you're arguing for, regarding how these two quotations are incongruent with the idea of God punishing, killing, and annihilating? If this comment was addressed to someone else, my apologizes.

William

Actualy I am only arguing that we accept the details as written. No change when it comes to GC 673 and EW294 I am arguing that they are written in a style that leads the reader to accept the details just as they are written, just as you appear to have done.

My argument is that you can not "undo" what you see written in GC 673 or EW 294 simply because the details are so unsettling yea shocking.

Rather we accept it - and move on, because as it turns out in the gospel plan- not every incident is flowers and fuzzy teddy bears. Some of it is would be most uncomfortable to watch -- starting with the crucifixion of Christ, the flood, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorah etc.

Yet they happened "for real" not simply in symbol.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/18/09 06:41 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #110157
03/18/09 06:52 PM
03/18/09 06:52 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan

My argument is that you can not "undo" what you see written in GC 673 or EW 294 simply because the details are so unsettling yea shocking.

Rather we accept it - and move on, because as it turns out in the gospel plan- not every incident is flowers and fuzzy teddy bears. ...

in Christ,

Bob

this seems rather judgmental and untrue. it seems that you are saying some people got together and decided they didnt like the picture of the white throne judgment and decided to change it.

instead, from what i have seen, certain verses started to be seen-that happens as we continue to study-that contradicted previous verses and further study neccessitated coming to different conclusions.

the best example being the "eternal hell" verses. then other verses that contradicted that view started to be "seen" necessitating different conclusions.

or we can just decide that it is wrong and do no searching and investigating. each persons choice.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #110164
03/18/09 09:32 PM
03/18/09 09:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm afraid this topic is rather new to me so I have no strong opinion (as of yet), and mentioned the book's existence only as a reference point and conversation piece. Unfortunately, I cannot yet comment in depth at the moment.

Oh-oh. This sounds like you may have an open mind.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 58 of 100 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!