HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 52 of 100 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110039
03/17/09 12:33 AM
03/17/09 12:33 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I do not believe their hereditary inclinations (tendencies, propensities) are eliminated or sanctified the moment they experience rebirth.

I don't believe that either. But neither do I think that all of them must remain in us until Jesus comes.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110049
03/17/09 04:38 AM
03/17/09 04:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Before getting to your points and questions, I was particularly interested in your answer to the question I asked you regarding sinful flesh. Do you believe Christ came in sinful flesh?

R:I’ve already answered this. I believe Christ came in sinful flesh/nature, as long as this sinful flesh/nature does not include His spiritual/moral nature. I also believe that sinful tendencies/tendencies to disobedience are in the spiritual/moral nature.

I haven't asked this before. I'm not asking about sinful nature. I understand that you have an idea of "sinful nature" which is variable, depending on the circumstances. I also agree that Ellen White uses this term in different ways, depending on the context. However, that Jesus Christ took "our sinful nature" only makes sense if she's using the same sense for Jesus Christ and us in this sentence, of course.

Anyway, I'm asking specifically about sinful flesh. Sinful flesh wouldn't contain a moral or spiritual nature, would it? So we shouldn't have any reservations in saying that Christ came in sinful flesh.

For example, in Romans 8:3 where it says that Christ condemned sin in the flesh, this means that because Christ came in my flesh, and overcame sin in my sinful flesh, He condemned sin in my sinful flesh. Would you agree with that?

Quote:
T: The essence of temptation is putting self first. That's what it really comes down to. Now isn't it clear that if one has a sinful nature, the temptation to put self first would be greater than for one who doesn't?
R: That’s why temptations have to be weaker, otherwise you won’t be able to bear them. Contrariwise, if you don’t have sinful tendencies you can bear stronger temptations.
T: The temptation to put self first is weaker for someone with a sinful nature?

R:Making you put self first is the aim of the temptation. Since it’s easier for you to put self first, and since the temptation cannot exceed your strength, it follows that the temptation for you must be weaker than for someone who does not have a sinful tendency.

The same temptation is *weaker* for someone who has sinful flesh? That doesn't make any sense. That should be obvious.

All along here I've been talking about the same temptation. You seem to be talking about two different temptations. I'm saying if you take a temptation, X (say to look with lust upon someone), that temptation would be harder for someone with sinful flesh than for someone with sinless flesh.

Quote:
R: What you believe, then, is that our sinful nature does not involve the spiritual/moral aspect. Is that correct?
T: What's your answer to my question? Let's go in order.

R:I’ve already answered this, too. Ellen White employs “sinful nature” in more than one sense.

I agree with this.

Quote:
When she uses “sinful nature” in relation to Christ, she doesn’t refer to the moral/spiritual aspect,

I agree with this too.

Quote:
but when she is using the expression in relation to us, she refers mainly to the moral/spiritual aspect.

“Christ says: ... I will transform your weak, sinful nature into the divine image, giving it beauty and perfection.” {TMK 106.3}

Did Christ have a sinful nature that needed to be transformed into the divine image?

Christ took "our sinful nature." In this phrase, this "our sinful nature" must be the same for Him as for us. That's obvious, isn't it?

To answer your question, the sinful nature which Christ took couldn't be transformed; it could only be crucified, which is what Christ did. And this is exactly the same for us (i.e., "sinful nature" in this context, as used in this phrase, not as used elsewhere where she speaks of it's being renewed).

Quote:
Now, my question: What you believe is that our sinful nature does not involve the spiritual/moral aspect?

Not as used in the phrase, "Christ took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature." It can't be. In some other context, it could.

Quote:
R: So you think that thinking, “Oh, I want desperately to commit adultery, but I know that this is wrong, so God, help me to not commit adultery!” is not a sin? Well, I disagree with you.
T: I said only after we are aware of a temptation can we deal with it. To "desperately" want to commit some act would come a long ways after merely becoming aware of it.

R:So your view is that the first time you think, “I wish/want/would like to commit adultery” this is not a sin. Well, I still disagree with you.

I said "only after we are aware of a temptation." Why would you interpret this to mean "I wish/want to commit adultery"?

Having a temptation is not a sin. You seem to think that it is. This seems to be a fundamental difference between us. You cannot admit that Christ had sinful flesh, because this would mean that Christ had temptations, which, to your mind, would be sin. This is how it seems to me.

What I think is that Christ had temptations, like we do, and that Christ always said "no" to these temptations, just like we need to do. He overcame by relying on divine strength, outside of Himself, just like us.

Quote:
T: It would make sense that cultivated sinful tendencies can be removed from the life, and certain hereditary ones as well. It wouldn't make sense for genetic hereditary inclinations to be removed, as this isn't how genetics works. For example, consider someone with perfect pitch. This is never removed, even if the inclination towards musicality is never developed.
Did Christ assume "our sinful nature"? "Either we believe it or we don't."

As I said, she doesn’t say only cultivated tendencies can be removed from the life.

“... that faith which works by love, and purifies the soul. It will cut away the hereditary tendencies to evil, and the wrong traits of character that have been strengthened by cultivation.” {ST, May 20, 1897 par. 12}

Not all hereditary tendencies are genetic. It wouldn't make sense to say that genetic tendencies are removed. They're not. For example, a person born with perfect pitch retains that his whole life, whether he pursues music or not.

Quote:
That’s what I said – that Christ denied self and God denied self. But Christ didn’t have to crucify and subdue self, like us.

Nobody ever crucified self like Christ did. I think you're meaning something very different than I am, however. I suppose I should ask you to clarify what you mean.

What I mean is that Christ, by virtue of having sinful flesh, and accepting the working of the great law of heredity, the results of which is shown in His ancestors, had the same hereditary inclinations as is common to fallen man. By faith, Christ overcame these inclinations, denying Himself His whole life. So when He says for us to take up our cross and follow Him, He's not asking us to do something different than what He did, which is to crucify self. The cross which we carry crucifies self, as it did for Christ. Otherwise we're not "following" Him. We would be doing something He never did.

Quote:
R:So please demonstrate that sinful nature = sinful tendencies, and that removing the sinful tendencies is tantamount to removing the sinful nature.
T: There's nothing to demonstrate. That's what we're talking about: tendencies. The whole crux of our disagreement involves tendencies. You don't believe Christ had the tendencies inherent to sinful flesh. If you take these tendencies away from sinful flesh, you no longer have sinful flesh, but holy flesh.

R:Because we have been talking about sinful tendencies, removing sinful tendencies from the sinful nature is tantamount to removing the sinful nature. What is the logic of this argument?

As I said, this is the crux of the whole controversy. Did Christ have, by virtue of His sinful flesh, the same tendencies we have? Take away this issue, and there's no point of disagreement. It's the only aspect of "sinful nature" which matters. There's no disagreement on any other point.

So in relation to the Holy Flesh movement, you're saying the same thing they were. When they were speaking of having sinless flesh, they mean exactly the same thing as you mean when you speak of not having any tendencies to sin (i.e. having all tendencies to sin removed from the flesh). Without these tendencies you have "holy flesh."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110066
03/17/09 02:01 PM
03/17/09 02:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
I do not believe their hereditary inclinations (tendencies, propensities) are eliminated or sanctified the moment they experience rebirth.

I don't believe that either. But neither do I think that all of them must remain in us until Jesus comes.

The ones that remain until Jesus arrives, do they corrupt and contaminate, are we guilty in the sight of God because of them (even if we don't cherish them or act them out in word or deed)?

PS - When you don't respond to certain parts of my posts am I to assume you don't want to talk about them?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110102
03/17/09 09:54 PM
03/17/09 09:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
However, that Jesus Christ took "our sinful nature" only makes sense if she's using the same sense for Jesus Christ and us in this sentence, of course.

Of course.

Quote:
For example, in Romans 8:3 where it says that Christ condemned sin in the flesh, this means that because Christ came in my flesh, and overcame sin in my sinful flesh, He condemned sin in my sinful flesh. Would you agree with that?

Yes, but “flesh” here means what to you? To me it means body.

Quote:
I'm saying if you take a temptation, X (say to look with lust upon someone), that temptation would be harder for someone with sinful flesh than for someone with sinless flesh.

Yes, of course. It’s harder for you because you are weaker. However, the person without the propensities of sin can face much stronger temptations than those you face. You will never be subject to the temptations he faces, because they are much beyond your strength.
(Just to clarify, I don’t believe Jesus had sinless flesh, but that He didn't have the propensities of sin.)

Quote:
To answer your question, the sinful nature which Christ took couldn't be transformed; it could only be crucified, which is what Christ did. And this is exactly the same for us (i.e., "sinful nature" in this context, as used in this phrase, not as used elsewhere where she speaks of it's being renewed).

Ellen White never said that Christ crucified His nature/flesh.
The word “flesh” means two things:
1) The body
2) The lower, corrupt nature (this is the flesh that needs to be crucified).

“The words ‘flesh’ ... embrace the lower, corrupt nature; the flesh of itself [i.e., the body] cannot act contrary to the will of God. We are commanded to crucify the flesh [i.e., the lower, corrupt nature], with the affections and lusts. How shall we do it? Shall we inflict pain on the body? No; ... The corrupt thought is to be expelled.” {HP 198.5}

Quote:
R:So your view is that the first time you think, “I wish/want/would like to commit adultery” this is not a sin. Well, I still disagree with you.
T: I said "only after we are aware of a temptation." Why would you interpret this to mean "I wish/want to commit adultery"?

Because “wish/want/would like to” is what “desire” is all about. That’s why I’m saying that when you desire, you have already sinned. As I said in a previous post, “desire” goes much beyond simply having your attention called to something, or becoming aware of something. It has to do with wishing, wanting.

Quote:
R: As I said, she doesn’t say only cultivated tendencies can be removed from the life.
“... that faith which works by love, and purifies the soul. It will cut away the hereditary tendencies to evil, and the wrong traits of character that have been strengthened by cultivation.” {ST, May 20, 1897 par. 12}

T: Not all hereditary tendencies are genetic. It wouldn't make sense to say that genetic tendencies are removed. They're not. For example, a person born with perfect pitch retains that his whole life, whether he pursues music or not.

Let’s suppose that the congenital lameness of the man of Acts 3 was genetic. If it was genetic, this means he couldn’t be healed?

Quote:
Nobody ever crucified self like Christ did. I think you're meaning something very different than I am, however. I suppose I should ask you to clarify what you mean.

Ellen White says clearly that Christ didn’t have to subdue self. The quote, again:

“Christ did not need to fast for forty days because of inward corruption, or to subdue self. He was sinless. It was on our account that He fasted.” {21MR 11.4}

Quote:
As I said, this is the crux of the whole controversy. Did Christ have, by virtue of His sinful flesh, the same tendencies we have?

The term “sinful flesh,” or “sinful nature,” as applied to Christ, involve only His body, not His spiritual/moral nature. And sinful tendencies aren’t in the body, but in the spiritual/moral nature.

Quote:
When they were speaking of having sinless flesh, they mean exactly the same thing as you mean when you speak of not having any tendencies to sin

Maybe – which means that they were leaving out of consideration factors which were essential to determine if Christ had holy flesh or not. Therefore, their definition of sinless flesh was wrong.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110103
03/17/09 10:04 PM
03/17/09 10:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
MM: I do not believe their hereditary inclinations (tendencies, propensities) are eliminated or sanctified the moment they experience rebirth.
R: I don't believe that either. But neither do I think that all of them must remain in us until Jesus comes.
MM: The ones that remain until Jesus arrives, do they corrupt and contaminate, are we guilty in the sight of God because of them (even if we don't cherish them or act them out in word or deed)?

As I've explained to Tom, sinful propensities generate sinful desires, and the sinful desire is a sin prohibited by the 10th commandment. If we become aware of the sinful desire, we need to confess it; if we don't become aware, this is a sin of ignorance.

Quote:
PS - When you don't respond to certain parts of my posts am I to assume you don't want to talk about them?

No! Sorry if I gave this impression. I generally do not respond to points with which I seem to be in agreement, only to points I need to clarify or to points I disagree with. But if I fail to respond to a point you wish me to clarify, please call my attention to it.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110111
03/18/09 01:36 AM
03/18/09 01:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
As I've explained to Tom, sinful propensities generate sinful desires, and the sinful desire is a sin prohibited by the 10th commandment. If we become aware of the sinful desire, we need to confess it; if we don't become aware, this is a sin of ignorance.

James seemed to think such sinful desires were temptations and did not become sin until the thought is cherished and/or acted out in word or deed. "But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin."

This makes perfect sense to me. All temptations begin as unholy thoughts and feelings. Right? Otherwise, how could we be tempted if we are unconscious of it? In order to be tempted we have to be aware of it, correct? And, as humans, we first become aware of things in the form of thoughts and feelings.

Ellen wrote that Paul fought daily to rein in his natural desires and inclinations. She also said that he knew he would have to do this so long as life should last. Here's how she put it:

"Paul knew that his warfare against evil would not end so long as life should last. Ever he realized the need of putting a strict guard upon himself, that earthly desires might not overcome spiritual zeal. With all his power he continued to strive against natural inclinations. Ever he kept before him the ideal to be attained, and this ideal he strove to reach by willing obedience to the law of God. His words, his practices, his passions--all were brought under the control of the Spirit of God. {AA 314.3}

Apparently this point was very important to her because she wrote about it often. Here is a sampling of what she felt about it:

Quote:
Said the angel: "Sacrifice all for God. Self must die. The natural desires and propensities of the unrenewed heart must be subdued." {1T 507.4}

What is it to sow to the flesh? It is to follow the desires and inclinations of our own natural hearts. Whatever may be our profession, if we are serving self instead of God we are sowing to the flesh. {TMK 92.2}

The whole being must be consecrated to God, for our precious Saviour never shares a divided heart. Our inclinations and desires must be under the control of the Spirit of God, and then we shall be strengthened to fight the good fight of faith. {TMK 92.5}

Painful it must be to the lower nature, crossing, as it does, the natural desires and inclinations; but the pain may be lost sight of in a higher joy. {CG 255.2}

The thorns in the heart must be uprooted and cast out, for good and evil cannot grow in the heart at the same time. Unsanctified human inclinations and desires must be cut away from the life as hindrances to Christian growth. {Ev 347.2}

It is possible to inculcate the principles of righteousness, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, and there a little, until the desires and inclinations of the heart are in harmony with the mind and will of God. {HP 212.4}

Of ourselves, we are not able to bring the purposes and desires and inclinations into harmony with the will of God; but if we are "willing to be made willing," the Saviour will accomplish this for us, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." {AA 482.3}

While we yield ourselves as instruments for the Holy Spirit's working, the grace of God works in us to deny old inclinations, to overcome powerful propensities, and to form new habits. {COL 353.1}

Unholy passions must be crucified. They will clamor for indulgence, but God has implanted in the heart high and holy purposes and desires, and these need not be debased. It is only when we refuse to submit to the control of reason and conscience that we are dragged down. {GW 127.3}

She seems to have believed that it is possible and necessary to crucify certain unholy desires and inclinations. In such cases, they totally cease to tempt and annoy. But she also makes it clear that the remaining sinful desires and inclinations must be reined in and subjected to the control of a sanctified will and reason and conscience. In such cases, they continue to tempt and annoy, but are not cherished or acted out. Finally, and best of all, she makes it wonderfully clear that God implants, at the moment of rebirth, new desires, new tastes, new motives, new tendencies, new affections, and new appetites with which we are able to cultivate sinless traits of character.

"This ingrafting in Christ separates us from the world. No longer will we love the society of the vile and contaminated and contaminating. We will be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Then rich clusters of fruit are borne. The graces of the Spirit are borne in love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness. We have new affections, new appetites, new tastes. Old things have passed away, and lo, all things have become new. {TSB 135.2}

"The old nature, born of blood and the will of the flesh, cannot inherit the kingdom of God. The old ways, the hereditary tendencies, the former habits, must be given up; for grace is not inherited. The new birth consists in having new motives, new tastes, new tendencies. Those who are begotten unto a new life by the Holy Spirit, have become partakers of the divine nature, and in all their habits and practices they will give evidence of their relationship to Christ. When men who claim to be Christians retain all their natural defects of character and disposition, in what does their position differ from that of the worldling? They do not appreciate the truth as a sanctifier, a refiner. They have not been born again. A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong. {Mar 237.1}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110133
03/18/09 03:55 PM
03/18/09 03:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:However, that Jesus Christ took "our sinful nature" only makes sense if she's using the same sense for Jesus Christ and us in this sentence, of course.

R:Of course.

T:For example, in Romans 8:3 where it says that Christ condemned sin in the flesh, this means that because Christ came in my flesh, and overcame sin in my sinful flesh, He condemned sin in my sinful flesh. Would you agree with that?

R:Yes, but “flesh” here means what to you? To me it means body.

We can easily see what it meant to the SDA's of the 1890's, which is when most of these statements were made.

Quote:
Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made "in the likeness of sinful flesh," he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us.(DA 311-312)

This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness. (Haskell, regarding from "The Desire of Ages" and commenting, RH 10/02/00)

Quote:
He came and took the flesh of sin that this family had brought upon itself by sin, and wrought out salvation for them, condemning sin in the flesh.

Adam failed in his place, and by the offense of one many were made sinners. Jesus Christ gave Himself, not only for us, but to us, uniting Himself to the family, in order that He might take the place of the first Adam, and as head of the family win back what was lost by the first Adam. The righteousness of Jesus Christ is a representative righteousness, just as the sin of Adam was a representative sin, and Jesus Christ, as the second Adam, gathered to Himself the whole family.

But since the first Adam took his place, there has been a change, and humanity is sinful humanity. The power of righteousness has been lost. To redeem man from the place into which he had fallen, Jesus Christ comes, and takes the very flesh now borne by humanity; He comes in sinful flesh, and takes the case where Adam tried it and failed. He became, not a man, but He became flesh; He became human, and gathered all humanity unto Himself, embraced it in His own infinite mind, and stood as the representative of the whole human family. (Prescott, Avondale sermon 1896)

Quote:
Like every child of Adam (Christ) accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)

We see that the idea that Christ's taking our sinful flesh means reaching us where we are, taking fallen humanity "with all its hereditary inclinations."

Christ took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature. His sinless nature had no tendencies to sin. Morally and spiritually, Christ, by virtue of His nature, was not inclined to sin. Christ took upon His sinless nature, our sinful nature, with its inclinations. Christ never yielded to these inclinations, so His nature (neither His own sinless nature, nor His assumed sinful nature) was not corrupted.

Within Christ was a battle, because of these two natures, which war against one another:

Quote:
Some may have thought, while reading thus far, that we were depreciating the character of Jesus by bringing Him down to the level of sinful man. On the contrary, we are simply exalting the "Divine power" of our blessed Saviour, who Himself voluntarily descended to the level of sinful man in order that He might exalt man to His own spotless purity, which He retained under the most adverse circumstances. His humanity only veiled His Divine nature, by which He was inseparably connected with the invisible God and which was more than able successfully to resist the weaknesses of the flesh. There was in His whole life a struggle. The flesh, moved upon by the enemy of all righteousness, would tend to sin, yet His Divine nature never for a moment harboured an evil desire nor did His Divine power for a moment waver. (Waggoner; Christ and His righteousness)

This is reminiscent of Gal. 5:

Quote:
16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

This is a fight which Christ fought and won.

Quote:
"Surely He hath borne our griefs and carried our
sorrows; yet we did esteem Him stricken, smitten of God, and
afflicted." Isa. 53:4. The sorrows that He bore were our sorrows, and it is actually true that He did so identify Himself with our human nature as to bear in Himself all the sorrows and all the griefs of all the human family. (Prescott sermon)

This is the same theme EGW touched upon in the DA quote:

Quote:
He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations...

This must involve more than simply getting hungry and tired. Our temptations and sorrows involve "hereditary inclinations."

Regarding the sinful desire which the 10th commandment prohibits, this is a sinful desire which involves our will. We're not held accountable for things which do not involve our will.

Quote:
Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject."(Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b, page 3)

No light = no sin. Why? Because the will is not involved. EGW makes the same point in saying that the flesh, of itself, cannot act contrary to the will of God. The 10th commandment is not prohibiting our having sinful flesh, but upon acting upon temptations which come upon us. That the flesh finds something appealing is not sin. It is the act of the mind that brings out sin, not the existence of tendencies in the flesh. The flesh can entice us, but it's not sin.

Quote:
15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; (James 1:15)

When desire has conceived, then it gives birth to sin. Before conception, there is no sin, which is precisely the same principle as the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God.

Quote:
T:When they were speaking of having sinless flesh, they mean exactly the same thing as you mean when you speak of not having any tendencies to sin

R:Maybe – which means that they were leaving out of consideration factors which were essential to determine if Christ had holy flesh or not. Therefore, their definition of sinless flesh was wrong.

More to the point, it means that the same arguments used to refute their positions refute yours.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110167
03/18/09 11:02 PM
03/18/09 11:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

The word “flesh” means only two things: 1) the body, and 2) the lower corrupt nature. You must choose which one applies to Christ.

Another point. Taking fallen humanity “with all its hereditary inclinations” is clearly a human addition to what Ellen White wrote.

Quote:
Morally and spiritually, Christ, by virtue of His nature, was not inclined to sin.

I have two questions:
1) Christ, as a human being, had a physical, an intellectual, and a moral/spiritual nature. What you are saying is that Christ, because of His divine nature, had a human spiritual/moral nature free from any taint of sin?
2) Where were the inclinations to sin of Christ’s human nature? In His body?

Quote:
Our temptations and sorrows involve "hereditary inclinations."

They do not necessarily involve hereditary inclinations. The key word is "necessarily."

Quote:
No light = no sin. Why? Because the will is not involved.

So when you think for the first time, “I would like to commit adultery,” the will is not involved? You wish it, yet the will is not involved? So the will is involved and the tenth commandment is broken only at the second time you think this? Do you mean on the same day? And if it is two days later, is this considered as the second time or does the count begin again? And if it is on the same day but with a different person, does the count begin again?

Quote:
T: When they were speaking of having sinless flesh, they mean exactly the same thing as you mean when you speak of not having any tendencies to sin
R: Maybe – which means that they were leaving out of consideration factors which were essential to determine if Christ had holy flesh or not. Therefore, their definition of sinless flesh was wrong.
T: More to the point, it means that the same arguments used to refute their positions refute yours.

In fact, to be more precise, they advocated both “moral purity” (absence of sin) and “sinless flesh” (incorruption); the latter was a result of the former.
Now, which arguments do you refer to, specifically?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110170
03/18/09 11:27 PM
03/18/09 11:27 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
She seems to have believed that it is possible and necessary to crucify certain unholy desires and inclinations. In such cases, they totally cease to tempt and annoy. But she also makes it clear that the remaining sinful desires and inclinations must be reined in and subjected to the control of a sanctified will and reason and conscience. In such cases, they continue to tempt and annoy, but are not cherished or acted out. Finally, and best of all, she makes it wonderfully clear that God implants, at the moment of rebirth, new desires, new tastes, new motives, new tendencies, new affections, and new appetites with which we are able to cultivate sinless traits of character.

Mike,
So when you have an unholy desire you don’t consider it a sin and don’t see any need to confess it?

One of the quotes you posted says, “A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong.” Another one says, “The thorns in the heart must be uprooted and cast out, for good and evil cannot grow in the heart at the same time. Unsanctified human inclinations and desires must be cut away from the life as hindrances to Christian growth.”

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110175
03/19/09 12:42 AM
03/19/09 12:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The word “flesh” means only two things: 1) the body, and 2) the lower corrupt nature. You must choose which one applies to Christ.

Another point. Taking fallen humanity “with all its hereditary inclinations” is clearly a human addition to what Ellen White wrote.

It sounds like you believe in verbal inspiration? Especially of Ellen White? Is this correct? You say the word "flesh" can only mean two things because of a single sentence which Ellen White wrote, isn't that right?

Taking fallen human with all its hereditary inclinations is not a human addition to what Ellen White wrote, but a human being explaining what Ellen White wrote. The human being read in public from the Desire of Ages, explained what that meant, and this was published in the Review and Herald. This human being was in close correspondence with Ellen White at the time, as the two of them were formulating a strategy, and implementing it, to fight the Holy Flesh ideas, which are very similar in logic (identical, actually, it seems) to what you are saying.

Your ideas require the suspending of common sense in a number of matters. First of all, we have to assume that Ellen White didn't care that the Holy Flesh logic was correct, and the SDA's who were confronting them were incorrect. We'd also have to assume that she and Haskell never spoke of the matter, since if they did, Haskell would have known what she thought, and certainly wouldn't have publicly interpret her writings diametrically opposed to what she actually believed. We'd also have to assume that Ellen White didn't care if her writings were publicly misinterpreted in the most public forum available by the most visible leaders of the church.

And this is just one incident.

To mention another, she endorsed a post-lapsarian sermon by W. W. Prescott, the theme of which was that Christ came in sinful flesh. He made a big deal of this. Why? Because Christ had a body which could become tired or hungry? That makes no sense. There must be some reason why Prescott emphasized this point over and over (some three dozen times!) in this sermon.

Now an interesting thing to take note of is that in her endorsement of the sermon, Ellen White emphasized that Prescott demonstrated that obedience to the law was possible. But Prescott was speaking of Christ's taking sinful flesh. Therefore, in Ellen White's mind, there is a direct connection between the fact that Christ came in sinful flesh, and our being able to obey the law.

Prescott's sermon is textbook post-lapsarian logic. Christ came in our flesh, overcame sin in that flesh, thus serving as an example for us, as well as making it possible for us to overcome. His arguments throught the sermon are the same as other post-lapsarians, most notably Jones. There can be no doubt that Prescott was deeply influence by Jones. The reasoning runs the same way.

So, if your views were correct, we'd have to make the assumption that Ellen White endorsed Prescott's sermon, while secretly holding a contrary position on the very matter which was the theme of Jones sermons.

She endorsed Jones and Waggoner over a thousand times(!). *Not once* did she express the opinion that either Jones or Waggoner were in error on the views of Christ's humanity, although it was a subject (perhaps *the* subject) that both emphasized so strongly. Jones said there was salvation in this very thing (That Christ took our fallen nature; Prescott said a similar thing). Once while traveling with Jones and Waggoner, Ellen White responded to a question in response to their teaching explaining why it was that Christ must have taken a nature like ours.

I don't see how these inconsistencies can be brushed away.

Quote:
T:Our temptations and sorrows involve "hereditary inclinations."

R:They do not necessarily involve hereditary inclinations. The key word is "necessarily."

In context, they necessarily do, since EGW was stating that Christ, like every child of Adam, accepted the working of the law of heredity for this purpose. To suppose that she is saying that Christ accepted the working of the law of heredity so He could share in our sorrows for some other purpose not having to do with heredity makes no sense.

Quote:
So when you think for the first time, “I would like to commit adultery,” the will is not involved?

Why do you think this is what is being thought? Why couldn't the thinking go like this: "I would like to have sex with him/her. Wait a moment. I'm married. That would be wrong. I reject this temptation." Why would this be sin?

Do you think Christ was not sexually tempted?

Quote:
You wish it, yet the will is not involved?

What's the difference between wishing something and willing something? Obviously I'm not saying the will is not involved if you will to do something.

Quote:
So the will is involved and the tenth commandment is broken only at the second time you think this?

Think what? It's very simple. The will is involved only at the second you will something.

Quote:
Do you mean on the same day? And if it is two days later, is this considered as the second time or does the count begin again? And if it is on the same day but with a different person, does the count begin again?

What are you talking about? A person is tempted to do something. That temptation can be rejected or not. Once a person understands that one is being tempted, the will comes into play. A person wills to do the prohibited thing, or not. Christ never so willed.

The sin is in the willing of some deed or thought. It's not in the having of a temptation.

Quote:
In fact, to be more precise, they advocated both “moral purity” (absence of sin) and “sinless flesh” (incorruption); the latter was a result of the former.
Now, which arguments do you refer to, specifically?

The one I pointed out several times:

Holy Flesh

a.Christ came in the nature of Adam before the fall.
b.He would have been sinful otherwise.
c.We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of our sinful nature.

You:

a.Christ came with a nature which did not tempt Him from within.
b.He would have been sinful otherwise.
c.We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of temptations from within.

Page 52 of 100 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!