HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 70 of 71 1 2 68 69 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #110212
03/19/09 03:57 PM
03/19/09 03:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
MM: "Here are the passages I believe teach He will use literal fire to punish and destroy the wicked:"
Quote:
Matthew
5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

K: So how does that text mean He will use literal fire to punish and destroy the wicked?

I cannot divorce this passage from all the other passages and treat it as if the Bible said nothing else about the topic of "hell fire".

Quote:
M: Jesus did "act" differently in the NT. For example, He didn't command anyone to kill sinners. Nor did He employ the forces of nature to kill sinners. True, He taught these things, but He didn't demonstrate them.

T: Jesus taught the reverse of this.

M: Yes, Jesus also taught the reverse, but in doing so He wasn't contradicting the reverse.

K: Are you saying that Jesus taught that He would use force Himself and command others to kill sinners and also taught that He would not use force Himself and command others to kill sinners?

M: No

K: What are you saying when you said He taught the reverse?

M: He taught the truth about mercy and justice, which are opposites sides of the same coin.

K: You were talking about the reverse of Jesus acting differently. Tom questioned you on this. You confirmed that you really meant this. I asked you clearly which you then rejected. Now you are talking about mercy and justice (though not as the Bible means). So, are you talking about the reverse of acting and teaching differently or are you talking about the reverse of mercy and justice?

You don't mean to say that the reverse of not using force and commanding others to kill sinners is mercy and justice are you? If by some strange twist of logic you are, could you explain how they are the reverse and how that would be a logical conclusion? As in, if someone asks you what is the reverse of Jesus not calling hellfire and brimstone on sinners, would it be appropriate for you to answer, mercy and justice?

No hellfire, no brimstone ===reverse===> mercy and justice?

I don't like the word "reverse". Please refer back to all the passages I posted on mercy and justice. They explain what I mean.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #110223
03/19/09 05:20 PM
03/19/09 05:20 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God withdrew His protection and permitted millions of mothers and infants and children to suffer and die in the Flood. And this is how Jesus treated them in the NT?

God withdrew His protection and permitted thousands of first born infants and children and youth and adults to die in Egypt. And this is how Jesus treated them in the NT?

God commanded His holy and chosen people to kill sinners by sword and stoning. And this is how Jesus treated them in the NT?

Yes. Jerusalem demonstrates this. "How often I would have gathered you up as a check gathers her chicks, but you would not...Your house is left to you desolate.

Quote:
PS - I hadn't thought to ask this before - Do you think these kinds of OT stories are merely parables? Or, do you think they literally happened?

No. Yes.

Quote:
PPS - Comparing the death of a fig tree to the events mentioned above doesn't cut it for me. I see no similarities.

I don't understand this comment.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #110234
03/19/09 08:52 PM
03/19/09 08:52 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
I don't like the word "reverse"...

Incredible how the flies die in my mouth.
Very clever.
Even though you answered what you meant about "reverse", now you avoid the answer. Oh well. I did my best, but derailment seems to be the rule. We weren't talking about mercy and justice. You were talking about how Jesus acted differently in the New Testament than the old. However, you said He taught the (reverse, opposite, ...?), meaning he taught to kill sinners and use force, which you said no, which was a contradiction.

I included the conversation so you could follow it easily. Was it not accurate? Did you read it? What am I missing?

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #110254
03/20/09 01:05 AM
03/20/09 01:05 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, the reverse is true.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #110255
03/20/09 01:12 AM
03/20/09 01:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: God withdrew His protection and permitted millions of mothers and infants and children to suffer and die in the Flood. And this is how Jesus treated them in the NT?

God withdrew His protection and permitted thousands of first born infants and children and youth and adults to die in Egypt. And this is how Jesus treated them in the NT?

God commanded His holy and chosen people to kill sinners by sword and stoning. And this is how Jesus treated them in the NT?

T: Yes. Jerusalem demonstrates this. "How often I would have gathered you up as a check gathers her chicks, but you would not...Your house is left to you desolate.

He taught it. But He didn't demonstrate it. That's the point. IOW, saying what He said about "checks" and chicks is nowhere near the same as withdrawing His protection and permitting millions of infants to suffer and die. He did no such thing while here in the flesh.

Quote:
PS - I hadn't thought to ask this before - Do you think these kinds of OT stories are merely parables? Or, do you think they literally happened?
T: No. Yes.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Quote:
PPS - Comparing the death of a fig tree to the events mentioned above doesn't cut it for me. I see no similarities.

T: I don't understand this comment.

Cursing a fig tree to death and permitting millions of infants to suffer and die are in no way similar.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #110280
03/20/09 02:30 PM
03/20/09 02:30 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: Yes. Jerusalem demonstrates this. "How often I would have gathered you up as a check gathers her chicks, but you would not...Your house is left to you desolate.

M:He taught it. But He didn't demonstrate it. That's the point.

Boy, that's not much of a point! According to the SOP, Christ's teachings had power because what He taught He lived.

When arriving in Jerusalem on the triumphant procession, Christ broke down and wept, saying that He would have gathered them up (i.e. protect them) as a hen gathers up her chicks. This is not simply a teaching.

Quote:
IOW, saying what He said about ... chicks is nowhere near the same as withdrawing His protection and permitting millions of infants to suffer and die. He did no such thing while here in the flesh.

"He who has eyes to see, let him see."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #110514
03/26/09 04:16 PM
03/26/09 04:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, let me get this straight. Are you saying Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted sinners to suffer and die while He was here in the flesh?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #110515
03/26/09 04:20 PM
03/26/09 04:20 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Isn't this the same question you've asked many times? Or is it different somehow? If it's different, please tell me how. If it's the same, then my answer is the same as the other times.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #110548
03/26/09 08:20 PM
03/26/09 08:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, when I conclude you believe something, without asking for clarification, you usually get offended. So, I'm trying not to assume what you believe. I don't know your answer to the question above. I am fairly certain you believe Jesus demonstrated everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh. You often quote the following to support your assertion: "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1} At other times it seems like you're saying Jesus didn't actually demonstrate everything there is to know about God, that He resorted to talking about some of it.

So, Tom, help me out. Are you saying Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted sinners to suffer and die while He was here in the flesh? If not, what are you saying?

PS - I realize you believe your humane hunter story illustrates God running the risk of being misunderstood as being in favor of capital punishment when He commanded Moses to stone sinners to death. But what I don't understand is why you think God felt it was necessary to command it. Why do you think God command capital punishment in the OT?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #110565
03/27/09 02:56 AM
03/27/09 02:56 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I am fairly certain you believe Jesus demonstrated everything there is to know about God while He was here in the flesh. You often quote the following to support your assertion: "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

I've not said "demonstrated." I've said "revealed," just like the quote.

Quote:
At other times it seems like you're saying Jesus didn't actually demonstrate everything there is to know about God, that He resorted to talking about some of it.

Again, I don't believe I've ever said "demonstrated." I know you have many times, but I don't believe I have.

Quote:
So, Tom, help me out. Are you saying Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted sinners to suffer and die while He was here in the flesh? If not, what are you saying?

You've asked this several dozen times. I gave you a whole list of examples, saying that Jerusalem was the clearest and most detailed. You didn't like any of the examples. They didn't "cut it" for you. You don't remember this?

Quote:
PS - I realize you believe your humane hunter story illustrates God running the risk of being misunderstood as being in favor of capital punishment when He commanded Moses to stone sinners to death. But what I don't understand is why you think God felt it was necessary to command it. Why do you think God command capital punishment in the OT?

For the reasons the SOP specifies.

I think you're playing the part of a neighbor overhearing the conversation between the father and his son. You've misunderstood God. The only way to understand God, that I can think of, is to apprehend the revelation of His Son.

Page 70 of 71 1 2 68 69 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!