HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 64 of 100 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #110562
03/27/09 02:14 AM
03/27/09 02:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Not that you'd be interested, but Knight must have winced once or twice with such candid portrayals of the men whose theology he perhaps supported.

Perhaps?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #110563
03/27/09 02:29 AM
03/27/09 02:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Please elaborate on the appreciation part. My understanding is being fine-tuned and every little bit helps.

Ok, glad too. Here's a couple of thoughts.

Quote:
Satan with his fierce temptations wrung the heart of Jesus. The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. It was the sense of sin, bringing the Father's wrath upon Him as man's substitute, that made the cup He drank so bitter, and broke the heart of the Son of God. (DA 753)

The amazing thing here is that Christ felt as if He would be forever lost. Notwithstanding that, He chose to redeem us, whatever the cost to Himself. He basically said, "Teresa, all that I have, I give to you. My Father, My place in heaven; I give it all up for your benefit, so *you* can have a place in heaven."

Words can't describe the love of Christ for us. And when we remember that when we've seen Christ, we've seen the Father, words can't describe how God loves us. When we get a glimpse of that love, it stretches our heart, so we begin to learn to love like Christ.

We appreciate the self-sacrifice of God, and that appreciation has the power to motivate and change us.

Here's another one that brings out this thought:

Quote:
Three times has He uttered that prayer. Three times has humanity shrunk from the last, crowning sacrifice. But now the history of the human race comes up before the world's Redeemer. He sees that the transgressors of the law, if left to themselves, must perish. He sees the helplessness of man. He sees the power of sin. The woes and lamentations of a doomed world rise before Him. He beholds its impending fate, and His decision is made. He will save man at any cost to Himself. He accepts His baptism of blood, that through Him perishing millions may gain everlasting life. He has left the courts of heaven, where all is purity, happiness, and glory, to save the one lost sheep, the one world that has fallen by transgression. And He will not turn from His mission. He will become the propitiation of a race that has willed to sin. His prayer now breathes only submission: "If this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done." (DA 692-693)

The second thought is based on the following:

Quote:
Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.

The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! (DA 49)

This tells us that God risked losing His Son forever in order to save us. This is one of the most amazing things I've ever read. When one things that for just one Christ would have come, we come to the inescapable conclusion that for you or I God risked His only Son. Astounding!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110564
03/27/09 02:33 AM
03/27/09 02:33 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Perhaps?

Wise guy! thumbsup

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110568
03/27/09 05:34 AM
03/27/09 05:34 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Please elaborate on the appreciation part. My understanding is being fine-tuned and every little bit helps.

Ok, glad too. Here's a couple of thoughts.

Quote:
Satan with his fierce temptations wrung the heart of Jesus. The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. It was the sense of sin, bringing the Father's wrath upon Him as man's substitute, that made the cup He drank so bitter, and broke the heart of the Son of God. (DA 753)

The amazing thing here is that Christ felt as if He would be forever lost. Notwithstanding that, He chose to redeem us, whatever the cost to Himself. He basically said, "Teresa, all that I have, I give to you. My Father, My place in heaven; I give it all up for your benefit, so *you* can have a place in heaven."

Words can't describe the love of Christ for us. And when we remember that when we've seen Christ, we've seen the Father, words can't describe how God loves us. When we get a glimpse of that love, it stretches our heart, so we begin to learn to love like Christ.

We appreciate the self-sacrifice of God, and that appreciation has the power to motivate and change us.

Here's another one that brings out this thought:

Quote:
Three times has He uttered that prayer. Three times has humanity shrunk from the last, crowning sacrifice. But now the history of the human race comes up before the world's Redeemer. He sees that the transgressors of the law, if left to themselves, must perish. He sees the helplessness of man. He sees the power of sin. The woes and lamentations of a doomed world rise before Him. He beholds its impending fate, and His decision is made. He will save man at any cost to Himself. He accepts His baptism of blood, that through Him perishing millions may gain everlasting life. He has left the courts of heaven, where all is purity, happiness, and glory, to save the one lost sheep, the one world that has fallen by transgression. And He will not turn from His mission. He will become the propitiation of a race that has willed to sin. His prayer now breathes only submission: "If this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done." (DA 692-693)

The second thought is based on the following:

Quote:
Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.

The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! (DA 49)

This tells us that God risked losing His Son forever in order to save us. This is one of the most amazing things I've ever read. When one things that for just one Christ would have come, we come to the inescapable conclusion that for you or I God risked His only Son. Astounding!

so we can know, we can read and understand the words, but until it touches our heart, until we "appreciate" as you pointed out, it doesnt really mean anything.

and the appreciation needs to go deeper and deeper.......

Quote:
He basically said, "Teresa, all that I have, I give to you. My Father, My place in heaven; I give it all up for your benefit, so *you* can have a place in heaven."

this really got the point across, thanks! smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #110584
03/27/09 03:03 PM
03/27/09 03:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
So we can know, we can read and understand the words, but until it touches our heart, until we "appreciate" as you pointed out, it doesn't really mean anything.

and the appreciation needs to go deeper and deeper.......

Yes, I think this is the key. It's an appreciation of the love of God which softens our hard hearts.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110625
03/28/09 12:46 AM
03/28/09 12:46 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

As I see it, principles and tendencies are used synonymously, and they are elements of character.

God made Adam after His own character, pure and upright. There were no corrupt principles in the first Adam, no corrupt propensities or tendencies to evil. {AG 344.3}

The principles of the character of Christ are to be made the principles of the human character. {ST, May 10, 1910 par. 1}

And of course a nature (character) with corrupt principles is a corrupted nature.

Quote:
R:So your view is that the sin of Adam is imputed to us?
T: No, it's what Prescott said. When Paul says that Levi paid tithes in Abraham, he wasn't saying that the paying of tithes was imputed to Levi, but that Levi was in Abraham, and paid tithes in him.

In practical terms, it’s the same thing.
Abraham paid tithes = Levi paid tithes
Adam sinned = we sinned, therefore his sin = our sin, which is the same as his sin being imputed to us.

Quote:
I'll just say it seems odd to me that you say you believe what Ellen White wrote regarding Jones and Waggoner, but whenever we enter into a discussion involving them you seem to take the position of their opponents.

I go by what the Bible and Ellen White say, not by what they said. The main point in the discussion of Waggoner and Butler was the law in Galatians. I believe you would say that Waggoner was right and Butler was wrong, but the angel said neither was completely right. Waggoner had part of the truth and Butler part of the truth.

Quote:
R: If Christ was born condemned, under the sentence of death, how is it that He didn’t need a savior, since that is the very reason why we need a savior? If He Himself must die, if He owed His own life, He could never have died in our place.
T: This is the same argument Butler made, which Waggoner addressed.
R:This is not Butler’s argument and Waggoner didn’t address it (at least not in the passage you quoted). Could you address it, please?
T: It was in the quote provided. Waggoner argued that Butler's argument applied as much to Butler's position as it did to his.

Again, Butler’s argument wasn’t the one I presented. Could you please respond to my argument in your own words?

Quote:
T:That "under the law" in Gal. 4:4-5 does not mean "subject to the law" is clear from the context, as Waggoner explains.
R:No, it’s not at all clear from the context.
T: Yes, it is.
“Whom does He redeem?—‘Them that were under the law.’ ... Well, suppose we take it as referring only to the Jews, and especially to those who lived at the time of His first advent; what then?--Simply this, that we shut ourselves off from any place in the plan of redemption. If it was only the Jews that were under the law, then it was only the Jews that Christ came to redeem.”

What a lame argument! The whole humanity is subject to the law, not just the Jews.

Quote:
If Ellen White wrote by herself, like on an island or some such, I could see the sense in trying to dissect her phrases without reference to anyone else, but given that she spent years of her life with other SDA's, who wrote about the same subject, this seems to me rather like an ostrich hiding its head in the sand.

Not at all. Rarely did she correct specific people doctrinally. She let her writings speak for her.

Quote:
Sexual attraction is a part of being human. It's neither good nor bad. It's simply a drive we have, like a drive for food.

I disagree. If a Christian woman sees a very handsome man, but he is smoking, or eating with his mouth open, or having some other kind of inelegant behavior, she won’t feel attracted (or sexually attracted, to use your term) to him. In fact, sexual attraction has very little to do with the body, and a lot to do with the mind.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110626
03/28/09 12:51 AM
03/28/09 12:51 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I'm curious, are all those on this thread who believe in original sin (Protestant version) in agreement with Rosagela, that if one is dating someone one intends to marry, and feels a desire to have sex with that person, that this is a sin?

I have already explained this. A desire for sex at the right time and in the context of love is very different from a desire for sex completely detached from love, which is what "sexual attraction" most of the times refers to.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110627
03/28/09 01:05 AM
03/28/09 01:05 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
I'm curious, are all those on this thread who believe in original sin (Protestant version) in agreement with Rosagela, that if one is dating someone one intends to marry, and feels a desire to have sex with that person, that this is a sin?

I have already explained this. A desire for sex at the right time and in the context of love is very different from a desire for sex completely detached from love, which is what "sexual attraction" most of the times refers to.

Given that Jesus has to have been the most loving man who ever lived...I'm sure you would not think that it were possible for him to have done anything "detached from love," right?

In this case, perhaps we need to consider some other aspects.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110628
03/28/09 01:09 AM
03/28/09 01:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I'm curious, are all those on this thread who believe in original sin (Protestant version) in agreement with Rosagela, that if one is dating someone one intends to marry, and feels a desire to have sex with that person, that this is a sin?

R:I have already explained this.

I know you explained it. I was wondering if the other original sin advocates agreed with your explanation.

Quote:
A desire for sex at the right time and in the context of love is very different from a desire for sex completely detached from love, which is what "sexual attraction" most of the times refers to.

Presumably one loves the person one is intending to marry!

From our discussion earlier in this thread:

Quote:

T:This isn't what I'm asking. I'm asking if you are dating someone, and being around that person arouses a sexual desire, if that's a sin. Not a future desire to express love physically, but a present desire to do so.

R:In my opinion this is mental adultery.

And I had further qualified this by specifying that this person is someone you intend to marry.

I don't want to be misrepresenting your viewpoint. Your view, as I understand it, is that it is a sin, before you are married, to have a desire to have sex (not at a future time when you'd be married, but at some present time before being married) with your future marriage partner. This, to me, seems like a very odd idea. I'm curious if anyone else has it.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110634
03/28/09 04:19 AM
03/28/09 04:19 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I see both sides of this, Tom.

On the one hand, our sexuality is built into our constitution as an integral part. Paul says to those who are married not to "defraud" each other, lest they succumb to temptation.

However, fantasizing about the marriage act prior to marriage is a rampant problem in our society, and one which has long since crossed the line of attraction to going the whole way, and calling the relationship a "test," part of "dating" to see if you have found the right one.

In my view, the ideal would be to have pure thoughts prior to marriage, with the sole focus on building the friendship and laying solid foundations for a long-term relationship. Fantasies of what you might anticipate in the area of fleshly gratification, to my viewpoint, are wrong. More than this, many people do not realize how much those thoughts and imaginings harm their future relationship. Many people, for example, become disappointed with their actual experience when it does not match up to their preconceived ideas.

Going to the principle behind all of this...some things are reserved only for marriage. To "look on a woman to lust after her" applies to any woman to whom one is not married, right? Strictly speaking, this includes a future spouse.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 64 of 100 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!