HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 66 of 100 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #110592
03/27/09 04:36 PM
03/27/09 04:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm more interested in the swords. Obviously the straw isn't literal, but how about the swords?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #110593
03/27/09 04:57 PM
03/27/09 04:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Now - see we do agree on something.

Do we also agree that Christ was Crucified on the cross and NOT burned in the lake of fire... and that those in the lake of fire are NOT crucified on the cross by Romans and then exposed to the supernatural agony of the weight of suffering and torment owed by ALL sinners for ALL of time?

No, we disagree. Being burned in the lake of fire is the second death, so Christ was burned in the lake of fire. His heart melt like wax.

I agree that the wicked won't be crucified, but then, the physical act of crucifixion wasn't the important part of what was happening; Christ could have died in Gethsemane, as He started experiencing the second death there. The crucifixion was a public spectacle to make clear what was happening.

I disagree with the idea that the torment and anguish of sinners is something owed. It is something experienced, and the cause is sin.

Quote:
Ooops -- I think you missed a couple of details as listed above - when equating what Christ suffered to a single person being "tormented in fire and brimstone" as the Bible says - in the Lake of Fire.

Notice that the glory of God is not burning or tormenting the wicked in Rev 20 as they all see Him high and lifted up on His throne and judging the secrets of all mankind?

I disagree. It does torment them. Indeed, this is what causes their agony. In the GC description, as Christ is revealed, the wicked become aware of every sin they have committed, of where they turned away from God, of the wooing of the Holy Spirit in their lives.

Quote:
Nor is the glory of God shining on Jesus at the cross and causing Him to suffer by the very presence of God.

Now the cross was different. God was present with Christ at the cross. Christ felt abandoned, but God was right there. However, He had to hide His glory, or all around would have been destroyed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110607
03/27/09 08:21 PM
03/27/09 08:21 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
"For example - the Bible says "For in Six days the Lord Created the heavens and the Earth"

Bob, it's dawning on me that you think he created the earth at creation week. I accept the Bible for what it says. However, the point I am making is you are trying to get it to say something it doesn't say. The Catholics say the Bible say they are the only true church. However, the Bible doesn't say that. The Bible in Genesis does say what "Heaven" and "Earth" is. Maybe you can start with that rather than sharing your own speculations. If we are unable to agree on what the Bible defines as heaven and earth, how can we discuss the lake of fire?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110608
03/27/09 08:32 PM
03/27/09 08:32 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
[quote]

I disagree. It does torment them. Indeed, this is what causes their agony. In the GC description, as Christ is revealed, the wicked become aware of every sin they have committed, of where they turned away from God, of the wooing of the Holy Spirit in their lives.

By pledging His own life Christ has made Himself responsible for every man and woman on the earth. He stands in the presence of God, saying, "Father, I take upon Myself the guilt of that soul. It means death to him if he is left to bear it. If he repents he shall be forgiven. My blood shall cleanse him from all sin. I gave My life for the sins of the world." {HP 42.5}

there are several quotes like this. why dont we look them up?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #110609
03/27/09 08:38 PM
03/27/09 08:38 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
In these words, Christ was speaking to every human being. Whether they know it or not, all are weary and heavy-laden. All are weighed down with burdens that only Christ can remove. The heaviest burden that we bear is the burden of sin. If we were left to bear this burden, it would crush us. But the Sinless One has taken our place. "The Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all" (Isaiah 53:6). {LHU 97.4}

that is probably why we do not realize how sinful sin is. we are being protected from the results.

now here God is working supernaturally. He is keeping us alive in spite of ourselves.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #110615
03/27/09 09:48 PM
03/27/09 09:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
We should not try to lessen our guilt by excusing sin. We must accept God's estimate of sin, and that is heavy indeed. Calvary alone can reveal the terrible enormity of sin. If we had to bear our own guilt, it would crush us.(MB 116)

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110621
03/27/09 11:10 PM
03/27/09 11:10 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Bob, is this literal?

Quote:
As the saints left the cities and villages, they were pursued by the wicked, who sought to slay them. But the swords that were raised to kill God's people broke and fell as powerless as a straw. Angels of God shielded the saints. As they cried day and night for deliverance, their cry came up before the Lord. {EW 284.2}

its interesting that she used swords instead of guns. unless somehow all the guns in the world will be confiscated. possible but probably not likely. she also didnt say knives which would be much more accessible than swords. unless all of a sudden there will be a major manufacture of swords.

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #110657
03/28/09 08:35 PM
03/28/09 08:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: You seem to be saying it was the meat, not God, that slayed them.

K: Actually, was it Tom or Ellen White: "He let them suffer the results of gratifying their lustful appetites" "If they had submitted to have the Lord select their food for them, and had been thankful and satisfied for food which they could eat freely of without injury"

I'm sure you're going to say I left off the punishing part. But that is the part under question. What do you think Ellen White is trying to get across from the above, "without injury"? If God was going to strike them down, why didn't He just strike them down instead of going through the charade of giving them meat as they desired?

What kind of meat slays sinners with a plague as soon as they taste it? Was there something wrong with the quails? Were they toxic or poisonous? It was, after all, God who sent the quail to them. Why couldn't they eat it "without injury"? Did it kill everyone who ate it? Indeed, why didn't God simply allow them to die without having to eat the quail He sent them? The first born of Egypt were slain without eating anything. Why didn't God simply punish them that way?

Quote:
M: If so, why did God send them a food source sure to kill them?

K: If not?

What if it was for some other reason? For that matter, why did God put the tree in the midst of the Garden if it was sure to kill Adam and Eve? Was it for some other reason?

God said if they followed Him, they wouldn't have the diseases of the Egyptians. God supplied the food that was best for them. They wanted to eat like the Egyptians. So, either God could have said, no you have no choice in the matter, you're going to follow me whether you like it or not. Or, He could let them have their way. Which way do you suggest He should have done?

He let them have their way. They got to eat like the Egyptians. They therefore got the diseases of the Egyptians. Did they learn anything from the experience? They wanted meat with their eyes wide opened.

If it was only God directly killing them, why would He give what wasn't right only to slaughter them? Are you suggesting that He was acting like a parent who told their kid they couldn't have any cookies before dinner, then held the cookie jar in front of them and say, come on, don't you want a cookie. The kid reaches in and takes a cookie, then the parent says, I told you no cookies before dinner and then proceeds to belt the daylights out of them?

Are you suggesting the fruit of the forbidden tree was toxic or poisonous?

Are you suggesting eating quails like Egyptians results in sudden death? Is there any record of Egyptians dying suddenly because they ate quail meat? Later on, when the Jews occupied the Promised Land, when the manna ceased and they freely ate of quail and other meats like Egyptians, did they die?

I don't understand your cookie spanking analogy. How does it relate to God sending the Jews toxic quails in response to their unholy desire to eat quail meat? why didn't He send them healthy quails to eat?

Originally Posted By: kland
M: Indeed, why didn't God simply allow them to die without having to eat the quail He sent them?

K: You seem to be assuming they should die, by some means, for wanting meat. Why?

The first time the Jews murmured for flesh God gave them quail and no one died. The next time they murmured for flesh both Moses and God were angry and displeased. This time many of them died. Was it God's intent for them to die? Or, did they die because they ate too much? Ellen's comment makes it clear certain sinners died as soon as they bit into the first piece of quail meat. This suggests the quail was toxic, which raises the question - Why did God send them toxic quails? Did He intend for them to eat and die? If so, why? Was it because they "despised the Lord"?

Quote:
Exodus
16:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
16:12 I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel: speak unto them, saying, At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I [am] the LORD your God.
16:13 And it came to pass, that at even the quails came up, and covered the camp: and in the morning the dew lay round about the host.
16:14 And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness [there lay] a small round thing, [as] small as the hoar frost on the ground.
16:15 And when the children of Israel saw [it], they said one to another, It [is] manna: for they wist not what it [was]. And Moses said unto them, This [is] the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat.

Numbers
11:4 And the mixed multitude that [was] among them fell a lusting: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat?
11:5 We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlic:
11:6 But now our soul [is] dried away: [there is] nothing at all, beside this manna, [before] our eyes.
11:10 Then Moses heard the people weep throughout their families, every man in the door of his tent: and the anger of the LORD was kindled greatly; Moses also was displeased.
11:18 And say thou unto the people, Sanctify yourselves against to morrow, and ye shall eat flesh: for ye have wept in the ears of the LORD, saying, Who shall give us flesh to eat? for [it was] well with us in Egypt: therefore the LORD will give you flesh, and ye shall eat.
11:19 Ye shall not eat one day, nor two days, nor five days, neither ten days, nor twenty days;
11:20 [But] even a whole month, until it come out at your nostrils, and it be loathsome unto you: because that ye have despised the LORD which [is] among you, and have wept before him, saying, Why came we forth out of Egypt?
11:31 And there went forth a wind from the LORD, and brought quails from the sea, and let [them] fall by the camp, as it were a day's journey on this side, and as it were a day's journey on the other side, round about the camp, and as it were two cubits [high] upon the face of the earth.
11:32 And the people stood up all that day, and all [that] night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread [them] all abroad for themselves round about the camp.
11:33 And while the flesh [was] yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the LORD was kindled against the people, and the LORD smote the people with a very great plague.

PS - Please address the points you skipped above. Thank you.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #110658
03/28/09 08:39 PM
03/28/09 08:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM, regarding punishment, kland quoted this:

Quote:
"And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague."

In this instance the Lord gave the people that which was not for their best good, because they would have it. They would not submit to receive from the Lord those things which would prove for their good. They gave themselves up to seditious murmurings against Moses, and against the Lord, because they did not receive those things which would prove an injury to them. Their depraved appetites controlled them, and God gave them flesh meats, as they desired, and He let them suffer the results of gratifying their lustful appetites. Burning fevers cut down very large numbers of the people. Those who had been most guilty in their murmurings were slain as soon as they tasted the meat for which they had lusted. If they had submitted to have the Lord select their food for them, and had been thankful and satisfied for food which they could eat freely of without injury, they would not have lost the favor of God, and then been punished for their rebellious murmurings by great numbers of them being slain. {CD 377}

This says that God punished them for their rebellious murmurings, but how did He do so? By giving them what they wanted. As I pointed out, Deut. 31 explains the concept I've been sharing well:

Quote:
17Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

18And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods.

God's anger (or wrath) is manifest by His hiding His face. This is how He punishes. The result is great troubles coming upon those who hides His face from. And there's the following, which has been quoted many, many times:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 36)

This points out that there is no more decisive testimony as to the certain punishment that will fall upon the wicked than the destruction of Jerusalem, where we know that Israel was destroyed according to the same principles spelled out in Deut. 31. The "punishment" does refer to what happens when God hides His face.

1. "Those who had been most guilty in their murmurings were slain as soon as they tasted the meat for which they had lusted." What kind of meat slays sinners as soon as they taste it? You seem to be saying it was the meat, not God, that slayed them. Was the quail infected with coturnism? If so, why did God send them a food source sure to kill them? You say God gave them what they wanted. Are you so sure they wanted toxic meat?

Quote:
The medical term for the effects of eating toxic quail is coturnism. The illness sounds dreadful, with a list of symptoms that includes vomiting, respiratory distress, excruciating pain, and paralysis, but it is seldom fatal except to elderly people. Conversely, children are said to get less severely sick than adults. But it takes from three to ten nasty days to get over the symptoms. Yet come next year, many victims willingly partake of the succulent dark meat.

The name coturnism wasn’t coined until this century, but people have known about quail poisoning for perhaps as long as 3,500 years. This estimate is based on a Biblical story of Israelites in the wilderness feasting on quail and quickly being struck down with a plague. Later, ancient Greek and Roman writers, described the syndrome as well.

Quail Poisoning

2. "Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty." The punishment inflicted on the Jews involved humans killing humans. Are you suggesting God will punish the wicked at the end of time by permitting them to kill each other? Don't you believe sin is what will kill sinners at the end of time?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #110659
03/28/09 08:41 PM
03/28/09 08:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, how do you explain how and why the first born in Egypt died so suddenly?

Page 66 of 100 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!