HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? #110704
03/29/09 12:03 PM
03/29/09 12:03 PM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline OP
England
There is a quotation in Welfare Ministry but I cannot find it now, Ellen White said that if we are continually seeking to be a blessing to others we will be perfect.

This is one thing that makes me believe that perfection is actually more of a attitude than a "doing everything right" thing.

Also, in 2 Peter where we have "Peter's Ladder" it says to make your calling and election sure and become partakers of the divine nature you must climc this "ladder" adding one virtue to another and the one at the top is "charity" or love. Jesus said be ye perfect then He explained by saying those who love those who dont love them back are perfect. Thats perfect unselfishness, getting nothing in return.

Then theres the good samaritan story where the one really keeping "the law" was the one who stopped to help his neighbor, but Im guessing the good samaritan really didnt know precise theology.

I see it more like an ATTITUDE and also having a good conscience, even if we dont understand perfect theology or do everything "right"

1Pt:3:21: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

How do you view this?

Jn:15:15: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110705
03/29/09 12:37 PM
03/29/09 12:37 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Was this the quote? It's not Welfare Ministry, but....

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Those who truly love God will desire so to improve the talents that He has given them, that they may be a blessing to others. And by and by the gates of heaven will be thrown wide open to admit them, and from the lips of the King of Glory the benediction will fall upon their ear like richest music, "Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world" (Matt. 25:34). Thus the redeemed will be welcomed to the mansions that Jesus is preparing for them. There their companions will not be the vile of earth, but those who through divine aid have formed perfect characters. Every sinful tendency, every imperfection, has been removed by the blood of Christ; and the excellence and brightness of His glory, far exceeding the brightness of the sun in its meridian splendor, is imparted to them. And the moral beauty, the perfection of His character, shines through them in worth far exceeding this outward splendor. They are without fault before the great white throne, sharing the dignity and privileges of the angels. {HP 367.2}
[In Heavenly Places (1967)]

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Green Cochoa] #110707
03/29/09 01:33 PM
03/29/09 01:33 PM
C
England
Hi Cochoa,
No it was something like that it is when we continually seek to be a blessing to others then we will be perfect.

I went to the whiteestate.org site and tried to type in keywords to find it but I couldnt.

I will keep looking though

Jn:15:15: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110708
03/29/09 01:43 PM
03/29/09 01:43 PM
C
England
I think I found it...(the last paragraph)

Ellen G. White Estate
Welfare Ministry (1952), page 81, paragraph 4
Chapter Title: Chapter Ten - Kindness the Key to Hearts
With Love Which Springs From the Heart.--Love is the basis of godliness. Whatever the profession, no man has pure love to God unless he has unselfish love for his brother. But we can never come into possession of this spirit by trying to love others. What is needed is the love of Christ in the heart. When self is merged in Christ, love springs forth spontaneously.

The completeness of Christian character is attained when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within--when the sunshine of heaven fills the heart and is revealed in the countenance.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110709
03/29/09 01:44 PM
03/29/09 01:44 PM
C
England
then look at this too... I just found... see the unselfishness idea? that seems to be the key...

Sin has extinguished the love that God placed in man's heart. The work of the church is to rekindle this love. The church is to cooperate with God by uprooting selfishness from the human heart, placing in its stead the benevolence that was in man's heart in his original state of perfection. --Letter 134, 1902.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110710
03/29/09 01:46 PM
03/29/09 01:46 PM
C
England
because see, there are so many different situations we can be placed in that we wont always know exactly what the right thing is to do, according to "the law"

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110722
03/29/09 03:39 PM
03/29/09 03:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Nice quotes. And what causes Christ's love to spring from within? It's a heart appreciation of the love of God, especially as revealed at the cross. By beholding we become changed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #110735
03/29/09 04:12 PM
03/29/09 04:12 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
Nice quotes. And what causes Christ's love to spring from within? It's a heart appreciation of the love of God, especially as revealed at the cross. By beholding we become changed.

What happens if we are born with evil propensity with a heart to rebell against God? What happens if it's not in us to appreciate the cross?
Even the appreciation comes from Jesus in us. That's what spring from within.

Blessings
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Elle] #110743
03/29/09 04:45 PM
03/29/09 04:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
What happens if we are born with evil propensity with a heart to rebel against God?

Depending on how one defines this, perhaps we aren't. We are born with certain inclinations, but the Holy Spirit is available to enable us to overcome these inclinations.

Quote:
What happens if it's not in us to appreciate the cross?

God has given to each one a measure of faith, so the ability to appreciate the cross is available to each one of us. We'd be lost without this capacity.

Quote:

This sounds rather metaphysical. Jesus is in heaven. He's not literally "in us." He doesn't build a house inside our hearts and live there. This is a metaphor. The meaning of the metaphor is I think eloquently expressed here:

Quote:
When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness.(COL 312)

Instead of "This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness" I think it works equally well to say "This is what it means to have Jesus living in us."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #110749
03/29/09 05:11 PM
03/29/09 05:11 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom[quote
What happens if it's not in us to appreciate the cross?

God has given to each one a measure of faith, so the ability to appreciate the cross is available to each one of us. We'd be lost without this capacity. [/quote]
i think it is something we have to pray for. we are all born under different circumstances and may not be able to have a "natural" appreciation for the cross.

i understand faith to be believing so i dont understand how you are using it here.

Quote:
Quote:

This sounds rather metaphysical. Jesus is in heaven. He's not literally "in us." He doesn't build a house inside our hearts and live there. This is a metaphor.

i understand what you are saying but that is how the bible states it, over and over.

Col 1:27 ... which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth;.... and shall be in you.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!