HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 55 of 55 1 2 53 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #111094
04/01/09 07:16 PM
04/01/09 07:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:But what I believe regarding Group 1 is no different than what you believe. So why don't you quote something?

M:Because I don't know of any. I assume you know lots of them. Do you know of any?

Then why do you differentiate between groups?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Green Cochoa] #111096
04/01/09 07:19 PM
04/01/09 07:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Mike, I see that you are again emphasizing the scriptures in a negative way.

Ouch! That hurts, GC. Did you intend to hurt me? Or, were you trying to inspire me? Please help me understand why you spoke to me this way. I'm not feeling too good right now.

Quote:
GC: Do you think the commandments are just a list of don'ts?

No! I believe the law points out what not to do and what to do. Do you agree? For example, the law "points out and prohibits those things that degrade and enslave, and thus to the obedient it affords protection from the power of evil. {Ed 291.2} "The law points out man's duty and shows him his guilt. To Christ he must look for pardon and for power to do what the law enjoins. {DA 608.2} "The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character . . . {DA 762.2}

When God says, "Thou shalt not," He in love warns us of the consequence of disobedience, in order to save us from harm and loss. {CG 223.1} Thus you are training them to respect the commandments of God, which plainly declare, "Thou shalt," and "Thou shalt not." {CG 225.1} Every "Thou shalt not," whether in physical or moral law, contains or implies a promise. {CH 325.2}

"The law forbids secular labor on the rest day of the Lord . . . {ML 231.4} "Thou shalt not commit adultery." This commandment forbids not only acts of impurity, but sensual thoughts and desires, or any practice that tends to excite them. {PP 308.7} "Thou shalt not steal." Both public and private sins are included in this prohibition. {PP 309.1} "The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act. {PP 309.5} "There can be no true enjoyment for the transgressor of God's law. The Lord knew this, therefore He restricts man. He directs, commands, and He positively forbids. {TSB 100.2}

"The law of God, as presented in the Scriptures, is broad in its requirements. Every principle is holy, just, and good. The law lays men under obligation to God; it reaches to the thoughts and feelings; and it will produce conviction of sin in every one who is sensible of having transgressed its requirements. If the law extended to the outward conduct only, men would not be guilty in their wrong thoughts, desires, and designs. But the law requires that the soul itself be pure and the mind holy, that the thoughts and feelings may be in accordance with the standard of love and righteousness. {1SM 211.1}

Mike,

I do not mean to hurt you. I hope that you can view my comment constructively, and positively. I was responding to this:

Quote:
Tom, do you agree that 8 out of 10 commandments begin with "Thou shalt not"? If so, do you agree it pin points what not to do, that it prohibits specific actions? If not, what do you think it means?

The "Thou shalt not" pinpointing what "not" to do, and "prohibiting" things are all focused on the negative. However, I view the Ten Commandments in an entirely different light than this, as I explained.

So here's, perhaps, another "aha!" moment.

I see God's law and love a bit like this:

1) The law is hard. It is unbending. God wrote it on stone to symbolize this.

2) Bones are also hard. They are unbending. God instructed the children of Israel not to offer a sacrificial lamb whose bones had been broken, and none of Jesus' bones were broken, symbolizing that He had kept God's laws.

3) Ellen White refers to the rocks as the "bones of the earth." She says before the flood, they were not visible upon the surface of the earth, but were below the surface, providing support and structure for the earth's crust. (I would find the statement, but am in a hurry right now.)

4) It is clear that God means for His law to support us, and to give us healthy structure. It is best for our happiness.

5) It is also clear that God did not mean for the law to become a focal point. It was to lie below the surface: rocks underground, bones under flesh.

6) God's love was to be the focal point.

Our bodies would be useless without bones. The earth's crust would offer no support without rocks. The law is what supports us.

Yet the law is not a focal point of beauty. The beauty is in the love. Both work together. They are one in purpose. Just as our body organs all work together, and join in purpose. But we are not attracted by a view of the inner organs and bones. We are attracted by the outward appearance.

God's law is part of the inward. God's love, mercy, patience, joy, etc. are more attractive parts on the outward.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

GC, I like the parallels and symbolisms you pointed out. Nice work. Thank you. However, I believe love is the fulfilling of the law and, as such, I view the law as something that is systemic to our happiness and eternal security. As you know, the law is a transcript of God's character, and character is the only thing we bring from here to heaven.

Romans
8:1 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #111098
04/01/09 07:38 PM
04/01/09 07:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: But what I believe regarding Group 1 is no different than what you believe. So why don't you quote something?

M: Because I don't know of any. I assume you know lots of them. Do you know of any?

T: Then why do you differentiate between groups?

Because very few people know and obey everything Jesus commanded and I find it hard to believe none of them will be saved because they are ignorantly living in violation of some of the principles of God. Paul makes a differentiation in the following passage:

Romans
2:13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
2:15 Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

And Ellen White does too in the following passages:

Those whom Christ commends in the judgment may have known little of theology, but they have cherished His principles. Through the influence of the divine Spirit they have been a blessing to those about them. Even among the heathen are those who have cherished the spirit of kindness; before the words of life had fallen upon their ears, they have befriended the missionaries, even ministering to them at the peril of their own lives. Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God. {DA 638.2}

Wherever there is an impulse of love and sympathy, wherever the heart reaches out to bless and uplift others, there is revealed the working of God's Holy Spirit. In the depths of heathenism, men who have had no knowledge of the written law of God, who have never even heard the name of Christ, have been kind to His servants, protecting them at the risk of their own lives. Their acts show the working of a divine power. The Holy Spirit has implanted the grace of Christ in the heart of the savage, quickening his sympathies contrary to his nature, contrary to his education. The "Light which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" (John 1:9), is shining in his soul; and this light, if heeded, will guide his feet to the kingdom of God. {COL 385.1}

In the day of final reckoning, Christ does not present before men the great work He has done for them in giving His life for their redemption. He presents before them the faithful work they have done for Him. What surpassing love is this! He even mentions the work of the heathen, who have no intelligent knowledge of the law of the Lord, but who have done the very things the law required, because they have heeded the voice speaking to them in the things of nature. When the Holy Spirit implants Christ's Spirit in the heart of the savage, and he befriends God's servants, the quickening of the heart's sympathy is contrary to his nature, contrary to his education. The grace of God, working upon the darkened mind, has softened the savage nature untaught by the wisdom of men. . . . {SD 364.3}

Christ implants His grace in the heart of the savage, and he ministers to the necessity of the missionary, even before he has heard or comprehended the words of truth and life. Behold that crowd collected about God's servant to harm him! But the Lord is working upon the heart and mind of perhaps one man to plead in behalf of His servant; and when the war council has determined the destruction of the Christian's life, the intercession of that savage turns the decision, and his life is spared. O, the love that goes forth to the savage for this one act! To such Christ says, in the Judgment: "I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me." "Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world." {SD 364.4}

PS - Besides the quotes above, I know of no place where she articulates your belief that Christians are born again ignorantly practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth. I'm sure it's there. Do you know where?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Green Cochoa] #111099
04/01/09 07:41 PM
04/01/09 07:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom, do you agree that 8 out of 10 commandments begin with "Thou shalt not"? If so, do you agree it pin points what not to do, that it prohibits specific actions? If not, what do you think it means?

T: I think the meaning of the law was taught by Christ. Especially the Sermon on the Mount explains its meaning.

M:Does this answer imply you do not agree that 8 out of 10 commandments prohibit specific things?

No. It implies that the meaning of the law of taught by Christ. It also implies the law involves more than what you've been suggesting.

Quote:
M: Do have a problem with God blacklisting specific actions?

T: My "problem" is with your interpretation of things, which, IMO, is superficial.

M:What is superficial about the sins blacklisted in the Bible?

Same comment.

Quote:
T: Not at all, which is my point. The "more subtle things" cannot be encapsulated in the lists you're referring to, at least not in a helpful way. One could have a list which has the item "unChristlike" on it, which would cover everything, but how does this get you any closer to knowing God's will than you were before?

M:So, it sounds like you believe the law of God prohibits all sins, including the "more subtle sins". But it also sounds like you believe the law of God isn't useful or "helpful" in knowing the will of God.

I'm taking issue with the undue attention you pay to lists. If you spent half as much time on principles as you do on lists you'd be ten times better off.

Your whole comment here is predicated on the notion that the will of God can be expressed simply by lists. Again, please consider the Sermon on the Mount.

Quote:
Do you think believers continue to ignorantly practice some of the sins Jesus blacklisted?

I believe there are things which people do when they are converted which they learn are wrong and stop doing afterward. I think this applies to all converted people. I don't think it matters if these things are on this list or that list.

Quote:
What do you think He was doing when He listed specific sins that prevent people from entering the kingdom of God?

It sounds like you may have misunderstood Him. Consider the following:

Quote:
28 Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.” (John 6:28-29)

What Jesus wanted, and wants, is that we believe in Him. This is the way to eternal life, happiness and obedience.

Quote:
Do you think the sermon on the mount focuses only on positive principles? Or, do you think Jesus also included specific actions not to do?

I think Jesus was focusing on principles. He said not to do certain things, like worry, for example, but the basis for doing certain things or not doing other things was focused on principles. For example, we should not worry because our Father cares for us and we can trust Him.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #111100
04/01/09 07:58 PM
04/01/09 07:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Do you think the sermon on the mount focuses only on positive principles? Or, do you think Jesus also included specific actions not to do?

T: I think Jesus was focusing on principles. He said not to do certain things, like worry, for example, but the basis for doing certain things or not doing other things was focused on principles. For example, we should not worry because our Father cares for us and we can trust Him.

It sounds like you agree with me that Jesus focused on principles and particulars. I like the way James put it: "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works."

Again, both Jesus and Paul were very good about spelling out the principles in practical, down-to-earth ways. They didn't leave it up to us to apply the principles as we see fit. We are too awkward and clumsy to manage something so important, so key to our fitness for heaven. One of Paul's many masterpieces is Galatians 5. Note how he blends the principles and particulars in a winsome and persuasive manner:

5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #111117
04/01/09 10:44 PM
04/01/09 10:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I think Jesus was focusing on principles. He said not to do certain things, like worry, for example, but the basis for doing certain things or not doing other things was focused on principles. For example, we should not worry because our Father cares for us and we can trust Him.

M:It sounds like you agree with me that Jesus focused on principles and particulars.

This is a really odd way to communicate. You haven't mentioned principles once. I've been mentioning them over and over. If you agree with my points regarding principles, it would be more natural for you to say, "I agree with you," as opposed to "it sounds like you agree with," when you haven't been discussing the point you are agreeing with.

Be that as it may, if you agree with me that Jesus focused on principles, I'm glad for that. I agree God gives us insights in practical matters on how to apply the principles, but surely it should be easy to see that the application of the principle without an understanding of the principle is worthless; like having a shell without the nut. This was the problem the Pharisees had.

Page 55 of 55 1 2 53 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!