HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 75 of 100 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111181
04/03/09 03:38 PM
04/03/09 03:38 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: William
Quote:
Mrs. White was clear. She says there is no excuse for sinning. She says those who are preparing for translation to heaven must overcome every defect of character.

While respectful of Elle's gospel understanding, in my opinion, this even-tenored explanation is touchingly brilliant, Green.

I agree that we must overcome every defect of character. I simply look at it as the individual's personal acceptance of the victory won on the cross. Or should I say, the application of the atonement finished on the cross? wink

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Green Cochoa] #111182
04/03/09 03:40 PM
04/03/09 03:40 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Elle
I agree, I should of clarified that, but in my context, I think I made it clear it was "we" as human being without God indwelling in us.

I think you still missed a part of my point. I am trying to say that we should be positive in our speech that victory is possible. We can overcome. The Canaan land does have giants, be we are well able to go up and possess it. This is the "spies report" that we should be making, rather than to say "it is impossible."

I think Elle is just rewording what Jesus said, "Without Me you can do nothing."

With God all things are possible, but without Him, we do nothing, we are nothing.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111192
04/03/09 05:42 PM
04/03/09 05:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I agree that we must overcome every defect of character. I simply look at it as the individual's personal acceptance of the victory won on the cross. Or should I say, the application of the atonement finished on the cross?

I think probably everyone would agree with this, but it's rather vague, as these phrases can be interpreted in many different ways. Would you please express your thought in other words?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111198
04/03/09 07:21 PM
04/03/09 07:21 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Still admiring that impeccable comeback, Arnold. ROFL

Quote:
I agree that we must overcome every defect of character. I simply look at it as the individual's personal acceptance of the victory won on the cross. Or should I say, the application of the atonement finished on the cross?

Perhaps it would be a tad easier to understand your somewhat cryptic idea if I knew your harmatiology.

My comment to Green about his comment on there being "no excuse for sinning," was shaded by Mrs. White's harmatiology as written in The Great Controversy, by far my favorite inspired book.

There she was adamant on what heaven was doing with man's sin in resolving the great controversy. You're familiar with this standard view:

Quote:
Those who are living upon the earth when the intercession of Christ shall cease in the sanctuary
above are to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator. Their robes must be spotless, their characters must be purified from sin by the blood of sprinkling. Through the grace of God and their own diligent effort they must be conquerors in the battle with evil. While the investigative judgment is going forward in heaven, while the sins of penitent believers are being removed from the sanctuary, there is to be a special work of purification, of putting away of sin, among God’s people upon earth.

She believed humanity by God's power would have to overcome every sin before probation's close, apparently, despite their cultivated patterns in sinful flesh.

What do you disagree with here? And why? Knowing your harmatiology would clarify the reasons for your negative perceptions of the postlapsarian view.

No hurry, chap, as I also may not find too much time until after the Sabbath.

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111202
04/03/09 08:09 PM
04/03/09 08:09 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Or should I say, the application of the atonement finished on the cross? wink

Ah, yes, missed the italic words and wink the first go-around. A bit of a provocateur, are we? Just love to startle your sleepless opponents, eh? Ha!

William

Last edited by William; 04/03/09 08:46 PM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111208
04/04/09 02:54 AM
04/04/09 02:54 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

I think probably everyone would agree with this, but it's rather vague, as these phrases can be interpreted in many different ways. Would you please express your thought in other words?

Let me try using some inspired eloquence:
Quote:
Through long years of wearisome and comfortless striving-- years of rigorous self-denial, of reproach and humiliation-- Wesley had steadfastly adhered to his one purpose of seeking God. Now he had found Him; and he found that the grace which he had toiled to win by prayers and fasts, by almsdeeds and self-abnegation, was a gift, "without money and without price." {GC 256.1}

He continued his strict and self-denying life, not now as the ground, but the result of faith; not the root, but the fruit of holiness. The grace of God in Christ is the foundation of the Christian's hope, and that grace will be manifested in obedience. Wesley's life was devoted to the preaching of the great truths which he had received--justification through faith in the atoning blood of Christ, and the renewing power of the Holy Spirit upon the heart, bringing forth fruit in a life conformed to the example of Christ. {GC 256.3} (emphasis in original)

I find this part particularly enlightening, "He continued his strict and self-denying life, ... not the root, but the fruit of holiness."

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111211
04/04/09 03:11 AM
04/04/09 03:11 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Perhaps it would be a tad easier to understand your somewhat cryptic idea if I knew your harmatiology.

There are many angles to approach this. A simple definition I often use is "sin is selfishness" or "sin is being unloving." That works pretty good for the kids.

For those who like to dig deeper, "sin is anything that is incongruent with God's character." Or, "sin is anything that makes us unacceptable to God."

Those are probably more broad than most postlapsarians are used to, but there it is.

She believed humanity by God's power would have to overcome every sin before probation's close, apparently, despite their cultivated patterns in sinful flesh.

What do you disagree with here? And why?

I don't disagree with anything there, assuming you subscribe to the standard postlapsarian definition of sin. (See the LGT site for a nice definition.)

Knowing your harmatiology would clarify the reasons for your negative perceptions of the postlapsarian view.

One is the definition of sin. For most postlapsarians, sin requires a willful disregard of a known command. Therefore, "unknown sin" is not sin. That makes a mess of Leviticus 4-6.

Another is the idea that the last generation will be sinless more than Enoch. I think God's grace was as effective in Adam's time as it is today. God's standard has been very consistent.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111213
04/04/09 03:35 AM
04/04/09 03:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #111208, you're still sort of just quoting religious jargon. As requested before, would you please explain things in your own words? What does this mean? "I simply look at it as the individual's personal acceptance of the victory won on the cross."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111214
04/04/09 03:39 AM
04/04/09 03:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Those are probably more broad than most postlapsarians are used to, but there it is.

You seem to be rather limited in your reading of postlapsarians to make such a statement. Have you read Jones or Waggoner or Prescott or Haskell or Fifield (not to mention Ellen White)? I don't think any of these have paradigms less broad than what you've cited. Why the negativity?

Quote:
Therefore, "unknown sin" is not sin.

Did you read the link I sent? (Regarding the Laodicean message). Jones and Waggoner were all about unknown sin. Their GCB sermons brought this out in detail. Especially Jones. Also his "The Consecrated Way to Perfection."

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111222
04/04/09 07:57 AM
04/04/09 07:57 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
William, How do you define sin?

Blessings
Page 75 of 100 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!