HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 90 of 100 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111813
04/16/09 04:27 AM
04/16/09 04:27 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
The root of the problem, I believe, is the definition of sin.

Yes! We agree on something, at least. Quoting from Pr. Kirkpatrick's QOD paper:

Quote:
William Johnsson may have said it best: The issue behind the issue is the concept of sin. Those who want to understand more clearly Jesus’ human nature would get further if they stopped debating whether Jesus came in humanity’s pre-Fall or post-Fall nature and spent time looking at what the Bible says about sin itself.

Did the QOD writers really try to introduce a new doctrine of sin?

Quote:
We propose that Questions on Doctrine introduced to Adventism a new doctrine of sin that taught condemnation according to birth-nature—a fundamentally flawed teaching. After a period of unclarity, the denomination rejected the book’s alternative hamartiology, sustaining the doctrine of sin held precedent to its publication.

Here's what they actually attempted to get published:

Quote:
The version offered in the pre-publication draft had been more abrupt:

Adam’s sin involved the whole human race. ‘By one man sin entered the world, and death by sin’ declares the apostle Paul (Rom 5:12). The expression ‘by sin’ shows clearly that he is referring, not to actual individual sins, but rather to original sin—the sinful nature that we have all inherited from Adam. ‘In Adam all die’ (1 Cor 15:22). By that original sin, ‘death passed upon all men” (Rom 5:12).

Yes, this is what the QOD writers wanted published! Enough said on that. One last encouraging quotation from his LGT website:

Quote:
Seventh-day Adventists reject the doctrine of original sin, the teaching that men are born guilty, born condemned. We also reject any notion that man was not damaged by the fall. We are decidedly damaged; one might say, born broken. But we are not lost until we choose rebellion. And all who have lived in human flesh, except Jesus, have chosen rebellion at some point; all these, then, need Jesus. The Bible is clear: “All we like sheep have gone astray” (Isaiah 53:6). How thankful we are that in Jesus a Savior is provided!

Some good and godly brothers dispute what has just been stated. They hold that all men have sin at birth, and that all men have sin throughout the full length of their experience. Indeed, they say that men—even “saved” men—die in sin. The belief that in the power of God men can obey His law, that they can live without sinning after Probation closes, mystifies. A favorite text suggested is 1 John 1:8. You recall the text: If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

And so on. . . a fascinating read.

William

Last edited by William; 04/16/09 04:44 AM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111814
04/16/09 05:22 AM
04/16/09 05:22 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Is it easier to obey or disobey? You make it sound like avoiding sin is incredibly hard, especially for Jesus WHO WAS FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT HIS ENTIRE LIFE. For the unregenerate heart, the unsanctified will, avoiding sin is impossible; but for those who walk in God's light, it is inevitable.

"Inevitable" is too strong a word. EGW took Waggoner to task for that. But that's the right track.

You can add this quote to 1Jn 3:6-9 and 5:18
Quote:
Christ came to make us "partakers of the divine nature," and His life declares that humanity, combined with divinity, does not commit sin. {MH 180.5}

BTW, that's one thing I have against postlaps theology - it is too soft on sin.

Quote:
That's my position anyway, a non-postlapsarian. It seems the postlaps position teaches that obedience is a hard road, even for Jesus.

Nope! This isn't what postlaps teach, as seen by the above.

Then why do you disagree that Jesus, who hated sin, had an easier time avoiding it than one who loved sin?

There are people who desire and lust to sin. Wouldn't they have a harder time avoiding sin than one who hates sin?

The prelap idea is that is was easy for Christ but not for us?

I can't speak for prelaps. But my position is that compared to the unregenerate man who likes sin, the submitted man, including Christ, has an easier time obeying. Is that disagreeable?

BTW, that's one thing I find often lacking in postlapsarian theology - the difference conversion makes in a man. Yes, they point out there's a huge difference between pre-fall man and post-fall man, and Jesus was like the post-fall man, but there's little coverage on the difference between pre-conversion and post-conversion man. As one who tries, but does not always succeed, to resolutely focus on soteriological matters, I fail to see the merit in discussing Christ's fallenness so much more than Christ's convertedness. (I might have invented a couple of words there...)

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111815
04/16/09 06:30 AM
04/16/09 06:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I think this is an unfair characterization. The more I read your posts, the more it strikes me that you must have connections wish some specific set of postlap thinking, as you write many of these characterizations which simply don't fit the people I know at all.

It is likely that my view of poslapsarian thought is heavily molded by the postlapsarians I have encountered. But now that I think of it, how could it be otherwise? I only know what I see.

I tried to be as accurate as I could in my summary of my view of postlaps. It may be skewed, it may be wrong, but it is what I see at the moment. Of course, there have been outliers in my experience, but I was painting with broad strokes.

Just to give you an idea of what my experience with postlaps has been. I was on Pastor K's LGT email list. I was interested in finding out more about LGT, so I figured this was a good way to learn. I was also excited about the prospect of finding a group of people who were not antinomian, with whom I could get along. That proves I am not omniscient.

I had decided to avoid bringing up Christ's human nature, since I had already gone many rounds with Pastor K on that, and I didn't want to cause unnecessary heat. I figured, as Pastor K pointed out, that Christ's human nature was only 2 points out of the 14 LGT points, so there should be 12 other things we could study.

Try to imagine my disappointment when the first point of discussion was on the nature of Christ. Not only that, but assertions were made that I just could not resist refuting. To make a long story not so long, we spent many months stuck there.

Here's the kicker. Of the dozen or so active members there, almost all had judged me to be some kind of antinomian spy, lurking there to disrupt the "truth" of LGT. Only one person allowed for the possibility that I might be seriously studying, trying to figure out what they were saying.

"Jesus was just like me" certainly didn't apply there. My experience with LGT has, so far, made me more determined not to be postlapsarian.

Do you mean "don't ask me to name names" that you can't think of anyone who fits the bill, or you prefer not to name names, although you could if you so chose?

I can name names. But I am trying very hard not to.

BTW, Sequeira has a unique angle, I think. Significantly dissimilar from other prominent SDA theologians.

BTW2, your list of postlap theologians who share your views did not include any of the participants in the QOD conference, such as Standish and Kirkpatrick.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111816
04/16/09 06:35 AM
04/16/09 06:35 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: William
Quote:
Kirkpatrick is one of those few.

Wow, Arnold. A renewed curiosity got the best of me, and after closely re-inspecting some of your pastor's more provocative sermon titles, I can see why you support his local ministry. Doubtless you must be envied near and far, mate!

I have good reasons to support his local ministry, but his postlaps stance isn't one of them. But I knew where he stood before I set foot in his church. And I still chose to drive over an hour to go there every week. Maybe that shows how important I think this is in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, I am envied by some. But for the same reasons, I am pitied by more. It all depends on what kind of spiritual food you like.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #111817
04/16/09 07:42 AM
04/16/09 07:42 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
And I still chose to drive over an hour to go there every week. Maybe that shows how important I think this is in the grand scheme of things. Yes, I am envied by some. But for the same reasons, I am pitied by more. It all depends on what kind of spiritual food you like.

Nice. I hear you. God bless you on your search, mate!

Regarding the point you made about confronting a non-welcoming crowd on the LGT forum, I hear you there also.

Mum once told me to never forget that we might not have been overly impressed with the contentious, self-deceived, fire-calling disciples had we met them during their formation, but that didn't diminish the power or hinder the permanence of Christianity.

Wise woman. . . to this day.

Though I definitely understand the discouragement and disillusionment that most of us, if not all, have experienced when not finding the finished product in those who claim so much but live so little.

"They is I. . . you is me. . . and we is them," wrote the hopeless philosopher.

Nevertheless, we know another tiny group of faithfuls in the not-too-distant future will once again allow the Gospel to grow them into the fullness of Christ. And the real Gospel will then, indeed, be the permanent power we have only dreamed about.

Until then, we suffer long, love the insufferable, and long for the suffering Lover.

Peace, friend.

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111839
04/16/09 04:38 PM
04/16/09 04:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
BTW, that's one thing I have against postlaps theology - it is too soft on sin.

Jones, Waggoner, Prescott, too soft on sin? This is a joke?

Quote:
Then why do you disagree that Jesus, who hated sin, had an easier time avoiding it than one who loved sin?

I didn't.

Quote:
There are people who desire and lust to sin. Wouldn't they have a harder time avoiding sin than one who hates sin?

Yes, of course. They need to be born again.

Quote:
I can't speak for prelaps. But my position is that compared to the unregenerate man who likes sin, the submitted man, including Christ, has an easier time obeying. Is that disagreeable?

But I didn't ask this.

Quote:
BTW, that's one thing I find often lacking in postlapsarian theology - the difference conversion makes in a man. Yes, they point out there's a huge difference between pre-fall man and post-fall man, and Jesus was like the post-fall man, but there's little coverage on the difference between pre-conversion and post-conversion man.

You keep making these assertions that I have no idea where they come from. Thing after thing after thing that I see no correlation between what you're saying and reality. Jones and Waggoner have *tons* of stuff that goes into this. Prescott emphasizes this too, in the very sermon I've quoted here several times.

Quote:
As one who tries, but does not always succeed, to resolutely focus on soteriological matters, I fail to see the merit in discussing Christ's fallenness so much more than Christ's convertedness. (I might have invented a couple of words there...)

Again, looking to Jones, Waggoner, Prescott, Haskell, and Fifield as examples, I don't see the emphasis you are talking about.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111840
04/16/09 05:22 PM
04/16/09 05:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
It is likely that my view of poslapsarian thought is heavily molded by the postlapsarians I have encountered. But now that I think of it, how could it be otherwise? I only know what I see.

You have access to the writings of Jones, Waggoner, Haskell, and Prescott. You could base your thoughts on that.

Quote:
"Jesus was just like me" certainly didn't apply there. My experience with LGT has, so far, made me more determined not to be postlapsarian.

I think this is nuts. It would be like me deciding not to be an SDA because of you (or someone else because of me; not singling out you). Because someone who is a postlapsarian has some wrong ideas does not mean postlapsarianism itself is wrong. I disagree with the LGT framework. I like Fifield's much better. IMO, there's too much emphasis (in LGT) in our performance. This is not a problem of postlapsarianism, but of certain people who are postlapsarians.

But consider Fifield a moment. His emphasis in on God's love and character through and through. Have you read any of his works? I can send you some things if you're interested. A few things can be found on line.

What is the problem of man?

Quote:
Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness.(DA 21-22)

Man's problem is having believed the lies of the enemy, who misrepresented God's character. Salvation depends upon the truth being revealed, understood, and believed. This is how man is set right with God.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

Continuing on from DA above:

Quote:
To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 22)

This was the work of Christ, to reveal the Father to us that we might be brought back to Him.

When Jones started his sermons in 1895 on the nature of Christ, the first point he made was that Christ took our fallen nature in order to reveal God. This is what the emphasis should be, IMO, the revelation of God. This is scratching where it itches.

At any rate, I'm very sorry for you unfortunate experiences with LGT, but you can see, can't you, that characterizing postlapsarianism on this basis of this one group isn't fair?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #111842
04/16/09 05:40 PM
04/16/09 05:40 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
teresa, if it was easier for Christ to avoid sin, then it was easier for Him to resist temptation because that's what temptation is about: avoiding sin.

t:did Jesus like sin?

Jesus took a sinful nature which was predisposed to sin, as ours is.

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us. As man, He met temptation, and overcame in the strength given Him from God. He says, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Ps. 40:8. As He went about doing good, and healing all who were afflicted by Satan, He made plain to men the character of God's law and the nature of His service. His life testifies that it is possible for us also to obey the law of God. (DA 24)

If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Christ took our fallen nature in order to accomplish this.

If it were easy for Christ to avoid sin, as opposed to us, because He didn't like it, then it's easy to see that we have a burden to bear that Christ did not have to endure, wouldn't it? Christ "pleased not Himself." He denied Himself. He did not do "His own will." This was difficult for Him in the same way it is difficult for us, and for the same reason; it was a like trial to endure, such as we have.

i wonder if we got specific if we could get on the same page...

did Jesus like lusting after women, the idea of it? or was it a momentary temptation but His utter respect for mankind, including women, as well as His goal for seeking the salvation of all in revealing what God is like override any and all temptations?

did Jesus struggle with sin from self-centered, selfish purposes? or was it firmly refused out of His unfathomable love for us?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #111851
04/16/09 07:26 PM
04/16/09 07:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Jesus took our sinful nature upon His own sinless nature. His assumed sinful nature, just like ours, generated the same temptations for Him as it does for us. He was tempted as we are tempted. His temptations were not easier than ours.

If we had to bear something which Jesus did not endure, Satan would present God's power as insufficient for us.

We do seem to be speaking past one another. It seems to me you're thinking Christ wasn't tempted like we are in these matters, that temptation was easy for Him. But it's very likely I'm not understanding you, so perhaps you could clarify.

Regarding lusting after women, you asked if He liked it. No regenerated person "likes" it. The flesh likes it. We learn to say "no" to the temptations of the flesh. Christ always said "no."

Regarding the following:

Quote:
Did Jesus struggle with sin from self-centered, selfish purposes? or was it firmly refused out of His unfathomable love for us?

you seem to be implying it was one or the other. Why?

What I would say is that Jesus always denied Himself, He "pleased not Himself," He did not do His own will, but the will of His Father, and there were times when this was difficult for Him.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111856
04/16/09 08:52 PM
04/16/09 08:52 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
One last encouraging quotation from his LGT website:
Quote:
Seventh-day Adventists reject the doctrine of original sin, the teaching that men are born guilty, born condemned. ... we are not lost until we choose rebellion.

Then babies and children before the age of accountability do not need a savior.

Page 90 of 100 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!