HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: asygo] #111758
04/14/09 08:34 PM
04/14/09 08:34 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Admin Edit to say that this thread is a continuation of the following thread:

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=114594#Post114594

Originally Posted By: Tom
No consent = no sin.

Do "true believers" "consent" to having "corrupt channels of humanity"?

Last edited by Daryl; 04/30/13 02:07 PM. Reason: Admin Edit to place link to the following thread in this continued thread.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Elle] #111998
04/19/09 05:36 PM
04/19/09 05:36 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Elle
Because of phi 2:7 and other scriptures, I will believe that Jesus did not have omni-presence, omni-potence, immortality, and omniscience. If you want to believe that Jesus had omnipotence and that what Satan was tempting him, then you can read the scriptures that way. ...

Php 2:4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

for this to be read in any sense other than Jesus humbling Himself as an example of how God is does away with the context and lesson of this passage.

not to mention that if Christ had literally emptied Himself of His divinity He would, in that instant, ceased to have existed before He ever had a chance to "clothe Himself with humanity".

Quote:
My strongest problem with that type of belief is Jesus could of not been able to die if he had immortality. It just doesn't work. It does not harmonize with the rest of scriptures.

its ok to tell God we dont see how Jesus humanity could die and not His divinity but to try and put texts together to come to a conclusion we, faulty, fallen beings, can understand is to walk on very dangerous ground. it is much better to wait on the Lord in many cases.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #112000
04/19/09 06:08 PM
04/19/09 06:08 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Thats funny, because no matter how many times i have read the book it has not made me a postlapsarian. i guess it shows how we each can read things differently.

Yes, I do think it's odd. There are other Calvinistic ideas which have come into the church as well, which I gave up when I became an SDA. It just makes me scratch my head to see these ideas which I gave up to become an SDA reappear. (For example, the idea that Christ's Second Coming is simply a "matter of time.")

hmmmm, i wonder where i picked up calvinistic ideas, since i was out of any church for decades and had only the bible and egw.

Quote:
I don't see how any one can read this:

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us.

i read that particular statement in light of these:
Quote:
The life of Jesus was a life in harmony with God. While He was a child, He thought and spoke as a child; but no trace of sin marred the image of God within Him. Yet He was not exempt from temptation. The inhabitants of Nazareth were proverbial for their wickedness. The low estimate in which they were generally held is shown by Nathanael's question, "Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth?" John 1:46. Jesus was placed where His character would be tested. It was necessary for Him to be constantly on guard in order to preserve His purity. He was subject to all the conflicts which we have to meet, that He might be an example to us in childhood, youth, and manhood. {DA 71.1}
Satan was unwearied in his efforts to overcome the Child of Nazareth. From His earliest years Jesus was guarded by heavenly angels, yet His life was one long struggle against the powers of darkness. That there should be upon the earth one life free from the defilement of evil was an offense and a perplexity to the prince of darkness. He left no means untried to ensnare Jesus. No child of humanity will ever be called to live a holy life amid so fierce a conflict with temptation as was our Saviour. {DA 71.2}
The parents of Jesus were poor, and dependent upon their daily toil. He was familiar with poverty, self-denial, and privation. This experience was a safeguard to Him. In His industrious life there were no idle moments to invite temptation. No aimless hours opened the way for corrupting associations. So far as possible, He closed the door to the tempter. Neither gain nor pleasure, applause nor censure, could induce Him to consent to a wrong act. He was wise to discern evil, and strong to resist it. {DA 72.1}
Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life. Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness. {DA 72.2}

Quote:
or this

Quote:
Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.(DA 49)
and think that Christ didn't take our fallen nature.

again, i read it in the context of what precedes it.
Quote:
The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden.

But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. {DA 48.5}

my attention is on Christs-Gods-humility. studying His humility because by "beholding we become changed". He came in a weakened body which green cochoa stated so well. but the important lesson as i see it, is the humility of God.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: teresaq] #112002
04/19/09 07:13 PM
04/19/09 07:13 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Hmmmm, I wonder where I picked up Calvinistic ideas, since I was out of any church for decades and had only the Bible and EGW.

This would be interesting to pursue. When did you first have these ideas? Can you recall? Was it before you came back to the church, or afterward?

Quote:
my attention is on Christs-Gods-humility. studying His humility because by "beholding we become changed". He came in a weakened body which green cochoa stated so well. but the important lesson as i see it, is the humility of God.

I'm not following you, teresa. She's not talking about Christ's body in either of the quotes I presented. Let's take a look:

Quote:
Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.

This says Christ accepted "humanity" after 4,000 years of sin. She goes on to say that "like every child of Adam" He "accepted" the workings of the "law of heredity." Our fallen nature is passed by heredity. If Christ accepted the working of the law of heredity, like every other fallen human, then He received the same nature from heredity that every other fallen human ("child of Adam") receives. That should be clear.

Now comes the kicker. "What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors." What are the results shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. What are these results? All we need to is read the accounts of David, Rahab, Solomon, etc. to see.

She goes on to say that Christ came with such a heredity as ours to "share our sorrows and temptations." This could hardly be clearer. A Christians most difficult temptations come from within.

Quote:
The Christian is to realize that he is not his own, but that he has been bought with a price. His strongest temptations will come from within; for he must battle against the inclinations of the natural heart. (BE 12/1/92)

Even after regenerated, our most difficult temptations are from within. If Christ came to share our temptations, He must have been tempted from within.

Going back to the DA 24 quote:

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject. And He exercised in His own behalf no power that is not freely offered to us.

Now if Christ took our nature for the purpose of passing through our experiences, and did not bear anything we do not endure, and was tempted in all points as we are tempted, and our most difficult temptations are from within, again it should be clear that Christ was tempted from within.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: teresaq] #112003
04/19/09 07:17 PM
04/19/09 07:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
if i may add to your thought, roseangela. when Jesus commanded satan to get behind Him He did it in His own authority, yet when we "command" anything it is in the authority of Jesus" name=authority=character.

I completely agree, Teresa.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112006
04/19/09 07:45 PM
04/19/09 07:45 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
No, this is not how Original Sin proponents see things.

Sure it is.

Quote:
If Original Sin were true, then it could not be the case that Christ took our sinful nature, because in this case He would be guilty of sin, would have been tempted from within, would have had tendencies to sin which the flesh has.

Original Sin proponents make these arguments all the time. Christ could not have been tempted from within because being tempted from within is sin. This is the Original Sin idea. Similarly Christ could not have had heredity tendencies to sin, because this would have been sin as well. There is an equating of tendencies, desires and temptations with sin.

Quote:
Ellen White says, in the Baker letter, that Christ was not a man with the propensities of sin – so this precludes the existence of any sinful propensity in His humanity - whether genetic, inherited, acquired or whatever.

This is an impossible interpretation. It ignores the historical realities of the time. Had she had the ideas your investing her with, she could not have endorsed Jones and Waggoner as she did, she could not have endorsed Prescott's sermon, she could not have handled the Holy Flesh movement as she did, to name a few things. This would make her to be feeble-minded (not realizing the Jones and Waggoner's ideas regarding righteousness by faith were wrong) and without integrity (after saying it was important to hold arguments that are wholly sound, she would, in your view, be supporting false arguments).

Quote:
She also says that

Christ “had not taken on Him even the nature of angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin” (Ms 57, 1890).

How did Ellen White and her contemporaries understand "taint of sin"?

Quote:
He was "touched with the feeling of our infirmities," because He "was in all points tempted like as we are." When He was tempted, he felt the desires and the inclinations of the flesh, precisely as we feel them when we are tempted. For "every man is tempted when he is drawn away of his own lusts [his own desires and inclinations of the flesh] and enticed." James 1:14. All this Jesus could experience without sin, because to be tempted is not sin. It is only "when lust hath conceived," when the desire is cherished, when the inclination is sanctioned -- only then it is that "it bringeth forth sin." And Jesus never even in a thought cherished a desire or sanctioned an inclination of the flesh. Thus in such flesh as ours He was tempted in all points as we are and yet without a taint of sin. (A. T. Jones; Lessons on Faith)

Christ had such flesh as our, was tempted in all points as we are, yet was without a taint of sin because He never, even in a thought, cherished a desire or sanctioned an inclination of the flesh.

Quote:

And

”He humbled Himself in taking the nature of man in his fallen condition, but He did not take the taint of sin.” {20MR 324.1}

"Taint of flesh" did not mean to them what it means to you, because they didn't believe in Original Sin.

Quote:
So it’s very clear that in the humanity Christ took (not in His divinity nor in the humanity He developed) there was no taint of sin. So she considers something we are born with as being a taint of sin. It’s obvious that this could only be the sinful nature.

This makes no sense, because Ellen White affirms that Christ took our sinful nature, and endorsed those who taught this. For example, she endorsed Prescott's sermon on the theme that Christ came in sinful flesh. She also endorsed Jones and Waggoner's teachings on righteousness by faith, which are built upon their understanding of Christ's taking our sinful flesh.

Quote:
Therefore, the concept of Original Sin is predicated on two kinds of Ellen White statements: 1) those which say that Christ’s humanity never had any propensities for sin, and 2) those which say that Christ took humanity without the taint of sin, and was born without the taint of sin.

Original Sin is not predicated on Ellen White's sayings at all. It did not come from Ellen White. It came from without the church. This is obvious to see by simply following the history of the thing.

Before the 1950's, there was nothing in SDA literature anywhere proposing the Original Sin ideas. How did these ideas get into the church? Did the church leaders somehow receive an epiphany on how Ellen White's writings should be interpreted which no one had seen before? No! They brought the ideas in with them when they were educated at non-SDA seminaries.

Let's consider things abstractly. Say there is a group A which starts teaching idea X 100 years into their existence, having denied it for the first 100 years. There has to be a reason why. Something introduced idea X into the mix. The most probably explanation is that X came from outside the group and was brought into the group by ones who brought it in with them.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112010
04/19/09 08:30 PM
04/19/09 08:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Christ could not have been tempted from within because being tempted from within is sin. This is the Original Sin idea. Similarly Christ could not have had heredity tendencies to sin, because this would have been sin as well. There is an equating of tendencies, desires and temptations with sin.

Ellen White says we are born in sin, while Christ took humanity without the taint of sin. Everything is very clear.

What is your explanation for her use of this expression? She says Christ took our fallen nature but did not take the taint of sin. He took our humanity without the taint of sin. He was born without the taint of sin. She obviously also uses this expression for the life He developed, but here she uses it for the humanity He took, for the condition He was born in. What does she mean, Tom?

Quote:
R: Ellen White says, in the Baker letter, that Christ was not a man with the propensities of sin – so this precludes the existence of any sinful propensity in His humanity - whether genetic, inherited, acquired or whatever.
T: This is an impossible interpretation. It ignores the historical realities of the time.

You are ignoring the clear meaning of the text. Do not present Him as a man with the propensities of sin. Simple. There is no way around it, and there is no other way to interpret it.

Quote:
Christ had such flesh as our, was tempted in all points as we are, yet was without a taint of sin because He never, even in a thought, cherished a desire or sanctioned an inclination of the flesh.

As I said, this doesn't work for the passages where she is referring to the humanity He took, since the verb "to take" refers to His life from the moment He was born.

Quote:
This makes no sense, because Ellen White affirms that Christ took our sinful nature, and endorsed those who taught this.

Obviously, she always affirmed that Christ took our fallen nature, but she was very specific. She said Christ took "the nature of man in his fallen condition, but He did not take the taint of sin" (20MR 324.1). She says Christ took "the nature, but not the sinfulness of man" (ST, May 29, 1901 par. 11).

This is what Ellen White says about Adam:

God did not create man sinful. Adam came forth from the hand of his Maker without the taint of evil. {ST, August 26, 1897 par. 4}

The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. {13MR 18.1}

What does she mean here? That Adam was created without having sinned? (Would this make any sense?) Or that he was created without sinful tendencies?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112016
04/19/09 09:14 PM
04/19/09 09:14 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Ellen White says we are born in sin, while Christ took humanity without the taint of sin. Everything is very clear.

Only if you ignore any interpersonal relationships Ellen White had.

Quote:
What is your explanation for her use of this expression? She says Christ took our fallen nature but did not take the taint of sin. He took our humanity without the taint of sin. He was born without the taint of sin. She obviously also uses this expression for the life He developed, but here she uses it for the humanity He took, for the condition He was born in. What does she mean, Tom?

She means what she said elsewhere. Christ took our sinful nature upon His sinless nature. Neither she nor any other SDA's used "taint of sin" to mean original sin.

She says that Christ took "our sinful nature." I don't see how this can be unclear.

She said, in one place:

Quote:
He was born without a taint of sin, but came into the world in like manner as the human family

In another place she said:

Quote:
What a sight was this for Heaven to look upon? Christ, who knew not the least taint of sin or defilement, took our nature in its deteriorated condition

She also said:

Quote:
Though He had no taint of sin upon His character, yet He condescended to connect our fallen human nature with His divinity.

Although Christ took our sinful nature, He had not "taint of sin." He remained "that only thing," although He took our sinful nature. This would be another way of saying it.

Quote:
R: Ellen White says, in the Baker letter, that Christ was not a man with the propensities of sin – so this precludes the existence of any sinful propensity in His humanity - whether genetic, inherited, acquired or whatever.
T: This is an impossible interpretation. It ignores the historical realities of the time.

R:You are ignoring the clear meaning of the text. Do not present Him as a man with the propensities of sin. Simple. There is no way around it, and there is no other way to interpret it.

It makes much more sense to interpret the Baker letter with the presupposition that Baker was teaching Adoptionism than that he was teaching the same thing as Jones, Waggoner, Haskell and Jones. Surely you can see the logic of this. Why correct Baker, but not endorse Jones? Why correct Baker, but not Haskell? Why not admit that Donnel was right and Haskell was wrong? Why not correct Jones or Waggoner? Why endorse their teachings of righteousness by faith?

The simple fact of the matter is there is more than one way of interpreting the Baker letter. There's probably a half dozen ways of interpreting it. To force an interpretation upon a private letter which disagrees with the facts of history smacks of desperation.

One could just as well say that there is no other way of interpreting the following than how Haskell did:

Quote:
"Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made ‘in the likeness of sinful flesh,’ he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us."

This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness.(RH 10/2/1900)

This interpretation has the advantage of their being a contemporary of Ellen White who interpreted her writings in the way suggested. You can't produce a single contemporary of hers who interpreted her writings as you suggest.

We know Ellen White endorsed postlapsarians, and we know postlapsarians interpreted her writings to be postlapsarian. You're swimming way, way upstream to suggest she wasn't. There'd have to be much stronger evidence than a private letter of which we don't know the circumstances to deal with this current.

Quote:
Obviously, she always affirmed that Christ took our fallen nature, but she was very specific. She said Christ took "the nature of man in his fallen condition, but He did not take the taint of sin" (20MR 324.1). She says Christ took "the nature, but not the sinfulness of man" (ST, May 29, 1901 par. 11).

Which is the same thing that Jones and others taught. But none of them believed in Original Sin.

Quote:
What does she mean here? That Adam was created without having sinned? (Would this make any sense?) Or that he was created without sinful tendencies?

As shown above, Christ was without a taint of sin, although He condescended to take humanity. But she's not saying Christ's sinful nature was sinless.

You've offered no explanation for why she would have acted the way she did. Why would she have endorsed Prescott's sermon that Christ came in sinful flesh? You suggested you agreed with Prescott's sermon, as if Prescott had the same idea in mind for a sinless sinful flesh that you have, but I showed to you that he didn't. Prescott meant by "sinful flesh" just what Haskell, Wagonner, and Jones (who most influenced him on his theology) meant. Ellen White knew what Prescott meant. She was familiar with what Prescott had been teaching. Prescott didn't just present that one sermon. Prescott had been preaching at the 1895 General Conference session as well as at other sermons at Avondale. Ellen White's endorsement of Prescott was continuous during this 1895-1896 period.

Isn't it curious that the more strongly postlapsarian the preaching, the more ringing the endorsements from Ellen White?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112018
04/19/09 09:26 PM
04/19/09 09:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
As shown above, Christ was without a taint of sin, although He condescended to take humanity. But she's not saying Christ's sinful nature was sinless.

???
Sorry, I cannot harmonize what you say with what she said.

"He had not taken on Him even the nature of the angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin." {16MR 181.4}

"We should have no misgivings in regard to the perfect sinlessness of the human nature of Christ." {1SM 256.2}

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112021
04/19/09 09:43 PM
04/19/09 09:43 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

I'm with Rosangela on this one. The statements are too clear to be misunderstood, and you are kicking against the pricks. The desperation you speak of is yours, which is why you started out trying to invalidate the Baker letter, and now you are just trying to say it could be interpreted in at least half a dozen ways. I truly do not understand where someone could go wrong on this, but seeing that you are fully convinced in your own mind and wish not to be persuaded otherwise, I will respect that, and not torment you with a bunch of other statements from Ellen White which say the same thing as the "Baker letter." She is consistent. You are not.

There are clearly two parts to "human nature":

1) The flesh
2) The sin

The flesh, in and of itself, is not sinful. If it were, we would all be hopeless sinners until we are transfigured at His coming. In such a case, Jesus has given an impossible command to us, that we obey His commandments. And, in such a case, Jesus Himself would have been a sinner. So the flesh is not sinful, nor is it the source of sin.

The sin which we inherit comes from prenatal influences within the womb. It has little to do with genetics. Genetics may give us weaknesses, but it cannot give us actual sin. Again, if such were the case that the sin was implanted in our genetics, then Jesus would have been a sinner, for He took our genetics.

Jesus took our sin-weakened flesh, but never did He take the sin. He was not born a sinner. He did not start off as a sinner and "come from behind" in order to conquer on our behalf. He was perfect all the way through His life.

This reasoning is so sound and sensible to me, that I do not need Ellen White to tell me. The Bible agrees with this.

Jesus did not need to be tempted from within in order to be "tempted on all points like as we are, yet without sin." He only needed to be tempted. The source of those temptations matters not. There is no text of the scripture that says "Christ was tempted from within." Nor should there be. It is an unnecessary requirement to our salvation.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!