HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 47 of 49 1 2 45 46 47 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115904
07/13/09 03:43 AM
07/13/09 03:43 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
M: Aren't sinners condemned based on the sins they commit rather than on the sinful clamoring that wages within them (the temptations that originate internally)?

A: I say neither. They are condemned based on their unChristlikeness - their depravity. Selfishness = death, whether it was physically committed or kept hidden within the heart.

Here's what Ellen White wrote about it (notice she doesn't say unrepentant sinners are barred from heaven based on the unholy clamorings of their fallen flesh nature):

Quote:
Thus was presented to the prophet's vision the great and solemn day when the characters and the lives of men should pass in review before the Judge of all the earth, and to every man should be rendered "according to his works." {GC 479.2}

The books of record in heaven, in which the names and the deeds of men are registered, are to determine the decisions of the judgment. {GC 480.2}

Every man's work passes in review before God and is registered for faithfulness or unfaithfulness. Opposite each name in the books of heaven is entered with terrible exactness every wrong word, every selfish act, every unfulfilled duty, and every secret sin, with every artful dissembling. Heaven-sent warnings or reproofs neglected, wasted moments, unimproved opportunities, the influence exerted for good or for evil, with its far-reaching results, all are chronicled by the recording angel. {GC 482.1}

Every name is mentioned, every case closely investigated. Names are accepted, names rejected. When any have sins remaining upon the books of record, unrepented of and unforgiven, their names will be blotted out of the book of life, and the record of their good deeds will be erased from the book of God's remembrance. {GC 483.1}

Again, she says, "When any have sins remaining upon the books of record, unrepented of and unforgiven, their names will be blotted out of the book of life ..." Nothing is mentioned about the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh nature, nothing about hidden selfishness residing untapped and unknown within them. They are condemned based on the "unrepented of and unforgiven" "sins remaining upon the books of record" and not on the sins they might have committed because selfishness resided in them.

Do you agree?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115905
07/13/09 04:05 AM
07/13/09 04:05 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
(MM)For example, we become aware of thirst and hunger and happiness as, "Eat and drink and do this or that unto excess and self-glorification." But, in Christ, believers may chose to reinterpret such clamorings as, "Eat and drink and do this or that unto the honor and glory of God."(I, Tom, edited this slightly.)

I've not heard this idea expressed in these terms. I think this is an interesting way of putting it. Especially the "reinterpret" idea.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #115918
07/13/09 03:41 PM
07/13/09 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, it's something that occurred to me years ago. It came to me as I was reading the SOP about the clamorings of fallen flesh. Seems to me our basic needs begin innocent but we become aware of them as unholy suggestions. Makes sense to me to assume it is sinful flesh that converts them into temptations. Ellen White wrote:

"You are of that age when the will, the appetite, and the passions clamor for indulgence. God has implanted these in your nature for high and holy purposes. It is not necessary that they should become a curse to you by being debased. They will become this only when you refuse to submit to the control of reason and conscience. (3T 84)

"[Our natural inclinations and appetites] were divinely appointed, and when given to man, were pure and holy. It was God’s design that reason should rule the appetites, and that they should minister to our happiness. And when they are regulated and controlled by a sanctified reason, they are holiness unto the Lord. (14 MR 294)

I think this means that our body produces innocent and legitimate needs (appetites and passions). However, seems to me sinful flesh nature intercepts and perverts them and communicates them in the form of unholy "lusts and affections" which we must, in Christ, reinterpret as innocent and legitimate needs and then satisfy them unto the honor and glory of God.

Again, I believe this the experience that Jesus had while here in sinful flesh. What do you think?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115947
07/13/09 07:25 PM
07/13/09 07:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Inherited sinful tendencies are just defective traits of character we are born with. They aren't in our body, but in the mind. And they can be taken away.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Rosangela] #115950
07/13/09 08:34 PM
07/13/09 08:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, your view implies we can reach a point in this lifetime where our fallen flesh nature no longer tempts us to be unlike Jesus. Is this what you believe?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115966
07/14/09 03:36 AM
07/14/09 03:36 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Again, I believe this the experience that Jesus had while here in sinful flesh. What do you think?

As I said before, the idea of "reinterpreting" the desires we feel sounds interesting to me. Since it's a new thought, I'll have to think about it some more, but it's appealing to me. For example, if you feel a craving for some unhealthful food, you "reinterpret" that as simply hunger, and choose to transfer that hunger to something healthful, which would glorify the Lord. This is as opposed to simply rejecting the desire altogether as something wicked, as the desire is based on hunger, which is not an evil desire, but a neutral one. This is what I'm hearing you say. I think this makes sense. The enemy, in the case, becomes sinful flesh, which perverts the neutral desire, as opposed to the neutral desire.

A difficulty I see in Rosangela's idea is that if one believes that as one is sanctified, one will no longer be tempted from within, that could lead one to misinterpret these internal temptations as not being bad (since a sanctified person wouldn't be tempted from within). However, I suppose an "escape hatch" would be that one could always "reinterpret" these temptations as being suggestions from Satan as opposed to being tempted from within.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115983
07/14/09 02:14 PM
07/14/09 02:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I like how you are looking at it. Thank you. People who sense, who realize, who recognize that their fallen flesh nature is tempting them to satisfy an innocent and legitimate need (hunger, thirst, happiness, etc) in a sinful way, will not mistakenly assume they are guilty of sinning simply because they are being tempted from within to be unlike Jesus. Instead, they will tag it as the voice of sin, self, and Satan and trust in Jesus to resist it unto the honor and glory of God our Father. More than this, though, they will reinterpret the unholy suggestions that come into mind and satisfy their basic needs in ways that testify to the fact Jesus is the Son and Savior of mankind.

Again, this is what Jesus experienced while here in the flesh. And, yes, Rosangela's views seem to fall short of explaining why born again believers, who are abiding in Jesus like Jesus abode in the Father, must fight the good fight of faith daily resisting and subduing the fallen flesh clamorings and sinful suggestions generated and communicated to their conscious minds. Blaming it on the evil angels does not account for all the temptations that come into mind.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #116002
07/14/09 11:14 PM
07/14/09 11:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
As I said before, the idea of "reinterpreting" the desires we feel sounds interesting to me. Since it's a new thought, I'll have to think about it some more, but it's appealing to me. For example, if you feel a craving for some unhealthful food, you "reinterpret" that as simply hunger, and choose to transfer that hunger to something healthful, which would glorify the Lord. This is as opposed to simply rejecting the desire altogether as something wicked, as the desire is based on hunger, which is not an evil desire, but a neutral one. This is what I'm hearing you say.

No, this is not what I hear him to be saying. If I understand Mike correctly, what he is saying is that a legitimate desire, like hunger, is "reinterpreted" by the "sinful flesh nature" as a craving for some unhealthful food.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #116003
07/14/09 11:31 PM
07/14/09 11:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Inherited sinful tendencies are just defective traits of character we are born with. They aren't in our body, but in the mind. And they can be taken away.
M: Rosangela, your view implies we can reach a point in this lifetime where our fallen flesh nature no longer tempts us to be unlike Jesus. Is this what you believe?

Mike,

Ellen White says our wicked traits of character can be taken away:

He works mightily with every one who is in earnest. He will give strength and victory. All the mean and wicked traits of character can be taken away by the One who has purchased you as His property. . . . {HP 19.4}

I think this includes the ones we are born with. What do you think?

Anyway, although the traits/tendencies themselves can be taken away, the memories of their manifestations in the past can’t, and this poses a continual threat to us.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Rosangela] #116004
07/14/09 11:34 PM
07/14/09 11:34 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
As I said before, the idea of "reinterpreting" the desires we feel sounds interesting to me. Since it's a new thought, I'll have to think about it some more, but it's appealing to me. For example, if you feel a craving for some unhealthful food, you "reinterpret" that as simply hunger, and choose to transfer that hunger to something healthful, which would glorify the Lord. This is as opposed to simply rejecting the desire altogether as something wicked, as the desire is based on hunger, which is not an evil desire, but a neutral one. This is what I'm hearing you say.
No, this is not what I hear him to be saying. If I understand Mike correctly, what he is saying is that a legitimate desire, like hunger, is "reinterpreted" by the "sinful flesh nature" as a craving for some unhealthful food.
either way they both seem very good thoughts.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Page 47 of 49 1 2 45 46 47 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!