HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 49 1 2 46 47 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #116005
07/14/09 11:37 PM
07/14/09 11:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
A difficulty I see in Rosangela's idea is that if one believes that as one is sanctified, one will no longer be tempted from within, that could lead one to misinterpret these internal temptations as not being bad (since a sanctified person wouldn't be tempted from within).

Thinking that one is sanctified is the great mistake.
But it seems to me it's yours and MM's view which says that internal temptations are not bad (it's not a sin to be inwardly tempted).

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #116006
07/14/09 11:41 PM
07/14/09 11:41 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
... And, yes, Rosangela's views seem to fall short of explaining why born again believers, who are abiding in Jesus like Jesus abode in the Father, must fight the good fight of faith daily resisting and subduing the fallen flesh clamorings and sinful suggestions generated and communicated to their conscious minds. Blaming it on the evil angels does not account for all the temptations that come into mind.
just as i see what seems to be some serious ditch digging with the feet elsewhere on this board smile , i would suggest that another view is not being given serious consideration but the battle arms are being immediately set up. that may be true on both sides.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: teresaq] #116007
07/15/09 12:23 AM
07/15/09 12:23 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R:But it seems to me it's yours and MM's view which says that internal temptations are not bad (it's not a sin to be inwardly tempted).

It's not necessarily bad would be a more accurate way of putting it. If the source comes from sinful flesh, that's not bad, and Christ, having the same flesh we have, experienced these same temptations.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: teresaq] #116008
07/15/09 12:29 AM
07/15/09 12:29 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:As I said before, the idea of "reinterpreting" the desires we feel sounds interesting to me. Since it's a new thought, I'll have to think about it some more, but it's appealing to me. For example, if you feel a craving for some unhealthful food, you "reinterpret" that as simply hunger, and choose to transfer that hunger to something healthful, which would glorify the Lord. This is as opposed to simply rejecting the desire altogether as something wicked, as the desire is based on hunger, which is not an evil desire, but a neutral one. This is what I'm hearing you say.

R:No, this is not what I hear him to be saying. If I understand Mike correctly, what he is saying is that a legitimate desire, like hunger, is "reinterpreted" by the "sinful flesh nature" as a craving for some unhealthful food.

No doubt, MM is the arbiter as to what he meant, but given he said this:

Quote:
(MM)For example, we become aware of thirst and hunger and happiness as, "Eat and drink and do this or that unto excess and self-glorification." But, in Christ, believers may chose to reinterpret such clamorings as, "Eat and drink and do this or that unto the honor and glory of God."(I, Tom, edited this slightly.)

it seems pretty clear to me that he said that in Christ, believers are doing the "reinterpreting."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Rosangela] #116030
07/15/09 03:44 PM
07/15/09 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
T: As I said before, the idea of "reinterpreting" the desires we feel sounds interesting to me. Since it's a new thought, I'll have to think about it some more, but it's appealing to me. For example, if you feel a craving for some unhealthful food, you "reinterpret" that as simply hunger, and choose to transfer that hunger to something healthful, which would glorify the Lord. This is as opposed to simply rejecting the desire altogether as something wicked, as the desire is based on hunger, which is not an evil desire, but a neutral one. This is what I'm hearing you say.

R: No, this is not what I hear him to be saying. If I understand Mike correctly, what he is saying is that a legitimate desire, like hunger, is "reinterpreted" by the "sinful flesh nature" as a craving for some unhealthful food.

Mike, Ellen White says our wicked traits of character can be taken away: "He works mightily with every one who is in earnest. He will give strength and victory. All the mean and wicked traits of character can be taken away by the One who has purchased you as His property. . . . {HP 19.4}

I think this includes the ones we are born with. What do you think? Anyway, although the traits/tendencies themselves can be taken away, the memories of their manifestations in the past can’t, and this poses a continual threat to us.

Actually, I meant to say that sinful flesh intercepts and perverts the innocent and legitimate needs produced by our body and we become aware of them as unholy conscious thoughts and feelings. In this case the words "body" and "flesh" are different aspects of human nature. In Christ, we are able to recognize and resist these unholy clamorings. But more than this we are also empowered to reinterpret them and satisfy them in healthy, wholesome ways unto the honor and glory of God. I believe Jesus experienced this, too.

Regarding the inherited sinful traits and tendencies we cultivate and turn into character, yes, I believe they can be completely crucified, totally taken away. And, like you, I believe latent aspects remain that make it necessary for us to fight the good fight of faith daily, moment by moment, to "keep them under" the control of a sanctified will and mind. We will continually be tempted from within to be unlike Jesus. This dark and dismal state will persist until the day Jesus returns and rewards us with a sinless body and flesh.

Nevertheless, possessing sinful flesh and being tempted from within to be unlike Jesus is a not a sin for which God counts us guilty and condemned. The unholy clamorings that wage within us and against us are merely temptations and it is not a sin to be tempted. Therefore, Jesus could be tempted from within for the same reasons we are without incurring guilt or condemnation or corruption. The same thing is true of believers who will stand before God in sinful flesh after probation closes, after Jesus ceases mediating in the most holy place on their behalf.

Do you see what I mean?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Rosangela] #116031
07/15/09 03:55 PM
07/15/09 03:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
T: A difficulty I see in Rosangela's idea is that if one believes that as one is sanctified, one will no longer be tempted from within, that could lead one to misinterpret these internal temptations as not being bad (since a sanctified person wouldn't be tempted from within).

R: Thinking that one is sanctified is the great mistake.

Please explain this idea more fully. Why is it a great mistake to believe we, while abiding in Jesus, are sanctified. Thank you.

Quote:
R: But it seems to me it's yours and MM's view which says that internal temptations are not bad (it's not a sin to be inwardly tempted).

Oh, it's definitely bad, that is, that we are born with sinful flesh and are tempted every minute of every day to be unlike Jesus. But, as you say, it's not a sin to be tempted. Yes, the fact we are tempted from within to be unlike Jesus is the result of the fall of A&E, but it is not a sin to be tempted from within. Do you see what I mean?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: teresaq] #116032
07/15/09 04:04 PM
07/15/09 04:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: And, yes, Rosangela's views seem to fall short of explaining why born again believers, who are abiding in Jesus like Jesus abode in the Father, must fight the good fight of faith daily resisting and subduing the fallen flesh clamorings and sinful suggestions generated and communicated to their conscious minds. Blaming it on the evil angels does not account for all the temptations that come into mind.

t: just as i see what seems to be some serious ditch digging with the feet elsewhere on this board smile , i would suggest that another view is not being given serious consideration but the battle arms are being immediately set up. that may be true on both sides.

Yeah, that's an inherent problem with sharing opposing views online or in person. It's difficult to acknowledge or appreciate the other person's view without sounding like you are in agreement or abandoning the view you hold near and dear. Do you know of a Christlike way to grasp what the other person is saying without sounding like you agree with them or without sounding like you are condemning them for believing the way they do?

For example, let's consider Sabbath-keeping. If my neighbor is convinced Christians are required to imitate Jesus' example by keeping the Sunday day holy, how should I affirm that I understand his point of view without sounding like I agree with it, and without sounding like I am condemning him for believing it?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #116053
07/16/09 01:25 AM
07/16/09 01:25 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: And, yes, Rosangela's views seem to fall short of explaining why born again believers, who are abiding in Jesus like Jesus abode in the Father, must fight the good fight of faith daily resisting and subduing the fallen flesh clamorings and sinful suggestions generated and communicated to their conscious minds. Blaming it on the evil angels does not account for all the temptations that come into mind.

t: just as i see what seems to be some serious ditch digging with the feet elsewhere on this board smile , i would suggest that another view is not being given serious consideration but the battle arms are being immediately set up. that may be true on both sides.

Yeah, that's an inherent problem with sharing opposing views online or in person. It's difficult to acknowledge or appreciate the other person's view without sounding like you are in agreement or abandoning the view you hold near and dear. Do you know of a Christlike way to grasp what the other person is saying without sounding like you agree with them or without sounding like you are condemning them for believing the way they do?
has the other sides position ever been studied and considered?

like, i believe that there are places in the scriptures that make it very clear that God Personally intervenes at times to stop what is going on. and i had come to an understanding that made a lot of sense to me as to why He did that.

but that hasnt stopped me from considering that God may not directly zap people, that there may be another legitimate, and perhaps more accurate point of view of what happens.

unless we think everything is "life and death" like sabbath vs sunday.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: teresaq] #116066
07/16/09 02:59 AM
07/16/09 02:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, yes, I have given a lot of time and attention to trying to understand Rosangela's view of the human nature in general, and especially as it relates the human nature of Jesus. At this point, I'm still trying figure how her view accounts for all the different ways people are tempted. As I said above, "Blaming it on the evil angels does not account for all the temptations that come to mind." Do you see what I mean?

BTW, I believe this point of truth is a life and death situation, and getting it right is vitally important. Ellen White wrote this about it:

Jesus revealed no qualities, and exercised no powers, that men may not have through faith in Him. His perfect humanity is that which all His followers may possess, if they will be in subjection to God as He was. {DA 664.4}

We need not place the obedience of Christ by itself as something for which He was particularly adapted, by His particular divine nature, for He stood before God as man's representative and tempted as man's substitute and surety. If Christ had a special power which it is not the privilege of man to have, Satan would have made capital of this matter. The work of Christ was to take from the claims of Satan his control of man, and He could do this only in the way that He came--a man, tempted as a man, rendering the obedience of a man. . . . {3SM 139.3}

Bear in mind that Christ's overcoming and obedience is that of a true human being. In our conclusions, we make many mistakes because of our erroneous views of the human nature of our Lord. When we give to His human nature a power that it is not possible for man to have in his conflicts with Satan, we destroy the completeness of His humanity. His imputed grace and power He gives to all who receive Him by faith. The obedience of Christ to His Father was the same obedience that is required of man. {3SM 139.4}

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #116070
07/16/09 03:14 AM
07/16/09 03:14 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
hmmmm, i dont think my point is being understood. oh well, never mind. smile i hurt too bad right now to try and get my point across.

Reply Quote
Page 48 of 49 1 2 46 47 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!