HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112074
04/20/09 05:50 PM
04/20/09 05:50 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
This is off topic, but in case you are interested, this is its main framework, and how it agrees with what EGW says. From a post of mine in an old thread, Destruction of the Wicked. Post #13507, May 23 2005.

Sure. Out of curiosity I'll brush up on it and try to see what you're seeing. BTW, Heppenstall also echoed Covenant-like soteriology. And his conclusions were what I was intimating by juxtaposing CT and the IJ:

Quote:
There will be no point in spiritual achievement in this life where one may rest with the certainty that he will sin no more, or that he does not stand before God as a sinner in need of divine grace and power. . . Salvation by grace alone means that absolute perfection and sinlessness cannot be realized here and now.

So there goes the Most Holy Place for CTs, I guess.

I've got some reading to do.

William

Last edited by William; 04/20/09 05:55 PM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112075
04/20/09 06:35 PM
04/20/09 06:35 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, this is funny. You keep repeating the same arguments over and over again, as if their repetition could add to their strength.

They're strong enough the first time. I keep repeating them because they haven't been addressed. You're the only one who's even acknowledged that the point has been made. As I've pointed out, I believe this is the weakest point in the theology. Yes, one can try to parse Ellen White this way or that way, but history does not lie. We know how her contemporaries understood her, and she was alive to correct them had they been wrong. We know how she interacted with them. She endorsed Jones and Waggoner's teachings, as well as Prescott, even when speaking specifically on the subject at hand. She disagreed with Donnell and sided with Haskell, Waggoner, and Jones in their fight against the Holy Flesh movement.

Just imagine if the following were true:

1.A couple of ministers preached a message of righteousness by faith based on the premise of Original Sin.
2.A third minister joined them, preaching a specific sermon on Original Sin, and she endorsed him as well, including that specific sermon.
3.A movement arose, called the "sinful flesh" movement, teaching that Christ took the nature of Adam after the fall. SDA's opposed this movement by arguing that Christ took the nature of Adam before the fall. Ellen White supported the SDA's in their fight against the Holy Flesh movement.
4.A minister quoted from "The Desire of Ages" and commented, "This is not fallen humanity with its hereditary tendencies to evil," to which she offered no comment.
5.She preached alongside the two preachers mentioned above. She received questions regarding their teaching, and explained that Original Sin had to be true, or else Christ would have been tempted from within, as we are.

This is what I think is funny. The history so clearly demonstrates what the truth is, for anyone who wishes to investigate it. Where did the new ideas come from regarding Original Sin? People just had an epiphany on how Ellen White should be interpreted? Nobody knew how to read her writings until 1950?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112076
04/20/09 06:40 PM
04/20/09 06:40 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Well, it does, for all doctrines are interrelated, but there is no direct connection between the two.

True that (thanks, Arnold). However, the basis for Adventism is Daniel 8:14 and Rev. 14:12, and from what I read of your synopsis of CT, a final resolution to the great controversy is missing.

Some of what we're discussing on the "Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin" thread, though thoroughly enjoyable, is also a bit tedious at times. Few would disagree, I imagine.

The question of the nature of Christ, to me, is not a debate over the finer theological points we've been recently participating in.

The big picture demands that either the cleansing of the sanctuary (1844) is to purify and perfect a denomination to stand without sin, or orthodox Adventism is the result of the inability of certain "wild-eyed irresponsibles" and "lunatic fringe" to admit that their prophetic view of Daniel and Revelation is incorrect.

Consequently, the real issue becomes whether or not we can overcome sin. If Jesus could not enter the great controversy conflict and overcome in sinful flesh, our flesh, then we can't either.

Is this really what Evangelical Adventists want to challenge?

In the end, I pray to remain married to this Adventism—and the remnant church—because in my christology, harmartiology, soteriology, and eschatology. . . Jesus is married to me.

William

Last edited by William; 04/20/09 07:07 PM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112078
04/20/09 07:23 PM
04/20/09 07:23 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I turn my head for a minute and look at the mess you guys made! I expect this to be all cleaned up by the time I come back!

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112079
04/20/09 07:26 PM
04/20/09 07:26 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
dunno

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112080
04/20/09 07:29 PM
04/20/09 07:29 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
They're strong enough the first time. I keep repeating them because they haven't been addressed. You're the only one who's even acknowledged that the point has been made. As I've pointed out, I believe this is the weakest point in the theology. Yes, one can try to parse Ellen White this way or that way, but history does not lie. We know how her contemporaries understood her, and she was alive to correct them had they been wrong. We know how she interacted with them. She endorsed Jones and Waggoner's teachings, as well as Prescott, even when speaking specifically on the subject at hand. She disagreed with Donnell and sided with Haskell, Waggoner, and Jones in their fight against the Holy Flesh movement.

Look, after she endorsed Crozier and William Smith, I realized that her endorsements were of a very general nature, because many points they taught were in flagrant disharmony with what she taught.
And as I've pointed out seeeveral times, she herself said there were some points on which she disagreed with Waggoner. What I don't understand is why you try to dismiss this kind of statement, making it appear that she endorsed everything he said.
I've also pointed out in the past that she did not always correct people. Many of them probably weren't ready to be corrected. Waggoner himself doesn't seem to have accepted, or understood, what EGW wrote in The Desire of Ages, for a couple or so of years later he published Christ and His Righteousness, still presenting the view that Christ had had a beginning.
So I have addressed your points in the past. You keep repeating them but I don't think every time I have to repeat the same refutations, especially because it will always be useless, since we will not reach an agreement.
As to original sin, of course one thing is tied to the other. If they believed Christ's humanity had sinful tendencies, how were they going to believe in original sin? Of course one tends to not consider the quotes which seem to go against one's view. You accuse non-postlapsarians of this, but this applies to both parties.
By the way, don't forget to address my post #112064.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112081
04/20/09 07:36 PM
04/20/09 07:36 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
"Jesus was just like me" certainly didn't apply there. My experience with LGT has, so far, made me more determined not to be postlapsarian.

I think this is nuts. It would be like me deciding not to be an SDA because of you (or someone else because of me; not singling out you). Because someone who is a postlapsarian has some wrong ideas does not mean postlapsarianism itself is wrong.

Kind of like saying I am wrong because somebody in Muncie a century ago was wrong, and he said things that sound kind of like what I am saying. Yeah, nuts.

BTW, if a postlapsarian teaches that Jesus was "just like" him, and he proceeds to demonstrate to me exactly how sinful his nature is, I can either believe the postlaps and decide that I want nothing to do with Jesus, or I can believe other testimonies about Jesus and decide that the postlaps doesn't know what he's talking about. I ask myself, "Do I want to be like him?" The answer is No.

But when I look at Jesus and ask, "Do I want to be like Him?" The answer is Yes.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112082
04/20/09 07:41 PM
04/20/09 07:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
True that (thanks, Arnold). However, the basis for Adventism is Daniel 8:14 and Rev. 14:12, and from what I read of your synopsis of CT, a final resolution to the great controversy is missing.

How is it missing? Christ regained for us the heaven Adam forfeited. The second coming of Christ will bring the reward of eternal life to those who accepted the provisions of the covenant of grace and returned to their loyalty during probationary time.

Quote:
The big picture demands that either the cleansing of the sanctuary (1844) is to purify and perfect a denomination to stand without sin, or orthodox Adventism is the result of the inability of certain "wild-eyed irresponsibles" and "lunatic fringe" to admit that their prophetic view of Daniel and Revelation is incorrect.
Consequently, the real issue becomes whether or not we can overcome sin. If Jesus could not enter the great controversy conflict and overcome in sinful flesh, our flesh, then we can't either.

Why does someone have to believe that Christ's humanity had tendencies to sin in order to believe that victory is possible? Does a drug addict have to believe that Christ felt the compulsion to use drugs in order for him to believe that he can overcome? What about a homossexual? And a prostitute? I've never seen things in this light, but when, feeling the power of sin, I cried for help, the Holy Spirit has always brought me victory.

By the way, I didn't understand the reference to Arnold. smile

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112083
04/20/09 08:00 PM
04/20/09 08:00 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Kind of like saying I am wrong because somebody in Muncie a century ago was wrong, and he said things that sound kind of like what I am saying. Yeah, nuts.

It would be like that if Ellen White wrote specifically that Larry Kilpatrick was wrong and Norman Gulley was right.

Quote:
BTW, if a postlapsarian teaches that Jesus was "just like" him, and he proceeds to demonstrate to me exactly how sinful his nature is, I can either believe the postlaps and decide that I want nothing to do with Jesus, or I can believe other testimonies about Jesus and decide that the postlaps doesn't know what he's talking about. I ask myself, "Do I want to be like him?" The answer is No.

This sounds confused. At any rate, the postlapsarian theology to be concerned with is that which took place in the 1890's. We shouldn't be teaching things different than what was being taught then. We have plenty of source material from Jones, Waggoner, and Prescott, all of which were endorsed by Ellen White.

Quote:
But when I look at Jesus and ask, "Do I want to be like Him?" The answer is Yes.

That's good. And you can be like Him, because He took your sinful nature upon His sinless nature and prepared the way, as Prescott explained in the sermon that Ellen White endorsed. smile

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112084
04/20/09 08:21 PM
04/20/09 08:21 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Look, after she endorsed Crozier and William Smith, I realized that her endorsements were of a very general nature, because many points they taught were in flagrant disharmony with what she taught.

She didn't endorse them thousands of time, nor do so with the language she used with Waggoner and Jones. She referred to Jones and Waggoner's message as "the beginning of the latter rain," as a "message from God" and wrote strong rebukes against those who opposed it. Sort of gives on pause.

Quote:
And as I've pointed out seeeveral times, she herself said there were some points on which she disagreed with Waggoner.

This is really badly misquoting her. If you look at the context, what she was trying to do was open up the minds of those in opposition to investigating what was being said. She wasn't saying she right and they were wrong, but that there may be some new stuff for her as well. She said she would be as a little child to receive all that the Lord had for her. She was *learning* from Waggoner when she made this remark, and encouraging others to do the same, not setting herself up as a judge over him.

I'm only aware of one issue that she disagreed with either Jones or Waggoner on regarding theology, and that was over Waggoner's assertion that Jesus could not sin, because He had perfect faith. Waggoner quickly corrected that.

The fact that she was quick to point out this error, and that Waggoner quickly took the correction to heart, makes one wonder how one could possibly think that she would allow Jones and Waggoner to go on and on and on and on and on regarding Christ's taking our sinful flesh, if that's not what she believed. This was the cornerstone of their theology. How could she have endorsed it as a "message of God" as "truth separated from error" (in the case of Prescott) if, in reality, it was fundamentally wrong?

Quote:
What I don't understand is why you try to dismiss this kind of statement, making it appear that she endorsed everything he said.

You're misquoting the statement. I'm not dismissing it; I'm reading it in context. Again, she only corrected on error that I'm aware of. She specifically endorsed the view of the Covenants, of the nature of Christ, of the law in Galatians. What I don't understand is how you can dismiss these comments, disagree with 90% of what Waggoner taught, and somehow convince yourself that you agree with Ellen White's endorsements of their message.

Every time I quote something from Waggoner or Jones, regardless of the subject, you disagree with it. I can't think of when you've agreed with it, and I've quoted dozens and dozens of pages. There's a serious disconnect here.

Quote:
I've also pointed out in the past that she did not always correct people. Many of them probably weren't ready to be corrected. Waggoner himself doesn't seem to have accepted, or understood, what EGW wrote in The Desire of Ages, for a couple or so of years later he published Christ and His Righteousness, still presenting the view that Christ had had a beginning.

This is a very weak argument. There is what, one, reference to Waggoner's saying something in some article? Both Waggoner and Jones theology of righteousness by faith was predicated on Christ's taking our fallen human nature. Jones said there was salvation in this very thing. They both emphasized this for years.

You make these extrapolations that don't fit. You want to equate one endorsement for Crozier or Luther with over a thousand for Jones and Waggoner, or one reference to Christ's divinity with hundreds regarding Christ's humanity. These aren't valid comparisons.

Quote:
So I have addressed your points in the past.

You're the only one. No one else has uttered a peep.

Quote:
You keep repeating them but I don't think every time I have to repeat the same refutations, especially because it will always be useless, since we will not reach an agreement.

Your "refutations" don't hold water. They've been "swept aside," to use the water metaphor.

Quote:
As to original sin, of course one thing is tied to the other. If they believed Christ's humanity had sinful tendencies, how were they going to believe in original sin? Of course one tends to not consider the quotes which seem to go against one's view. You accuse non-postlapsarians of this, but this applies to both parties.

By the way, don't forget to address my post #112064.

I agree that it's human nature to emphasize the quotes which favor us and de-emphasize the ones that don't. I've made this very point. This is why the study of the historical setting is so important. We can interpret her this way or that, but what happened in history is set in stone. We know who she endorsed, and what sermons she endorsed, and who she fought against.

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!