HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: Rosangela] #114910
06/20/09 12:31 PM
06/20/09 12:31 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I myself have been a beekeeeper. I later became allergic to the stings, after some years of keeping bees (for private enjoyment, not for business, though I had earlier worked for a beekeeper). I have done some significant research on bees, being interested in biology and entomology.

Entomology, in fact, was one of my favorite courses in college. One thing most people do not know about bees is that all of the worker bees, since they are female like the queen, are capable of laying eggs. Rarely they do. However, if a worker bee lays an egg, it must always become a drone (a male bee), because the workers are not fertilized. When a queen lays an egg, she chooses the gender of that egg by choosing whether or not to fertilize it from the sperm store she has. It is amazing that a queen only mates once, and then subsequently lays, during brooding season, from 2,000 - 6,000 eggs a day, and she will keep this up for 5 - 7 years. This means the sperm is somehow perfectly preserved in her for that long. I don't think scientists know everything about this yet.

The queen is the longest-lived bee. Drones last only a season. Workers, during the peak of honey gathering, will last only two weeks once they have left the hive to forage. They literally work themselves to death.

Every bee colony will have two scout bees whose sole job is to find food sources and alert the other foragers. Younger bees stay in the hive to nurse the brood, and maintain the hive temperature.

It would be impossible, from a practical standpoint, for the work inside the hive to cease at any point, especially during brooding. The young larvae must be fed, and the hive temperature and humidity of the honey maintained, or the brood or honey will spoil.

However, if the foragers ceased their labors for one day a week, it might extend their working lives significantly, and thus be a more efficient hive in the long run, especially if food sources were more scarce, or if the nectar/honey season were shorter.

In other words, having significant experience with bees, this state of things would not surprise me. The surprise would be to see that it was consistently the Sabbath day on which they rested...for then it must be studied how their clocks can work so well.

(Remember, there is nothing in nature which corresponds to our seven-day cycle. We have the rotation of the earth for a day, a lunar orbit for a month, and a solar orbit for a year--but nothing indicates our seven day week with the exception of the Creation Week tradition.)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: Green Cochoa] #115004
06/23/09 01:16 PM
06/23/09 01:16 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I assumed this is only certain types of bees and not like the ones in the U.S. My parents raised bees and I remember many times on Sabbath I had to crouch real low going past the hives for a walk or I would get stung from the high activity of the bees.

I had thought before about a bee's life being short, but if they last only 2 weeks, would that imply they hatch out only at certain times to coincide with the Sabbath? Otherwise, it would be hard to imagine bees at different stages all resting at the same time. A large portion of their lives would be resting on the Sabbath. Hatching out one day different could result in twice the amount of rest period.

Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: kland] #115005
06/23/09 01:39 PM
06/23/09 01:39 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

The bees will live for a few weeks inside the hive before becoming foragers. Thus, the total lifespan of the honey bee will usually be at least six weeks. But the two weeks of foraging until they've worked themselves to death applies only to those bees which do not "keep the Sabbath." What I was pointing out is that, probably, those bees in Brazil which rest one day a week would not die so quickly. One day of rest might extend their lifespan by several days, not just one day. So they may have lifespans outside the hive which were double, triple, or more, that of the typical honey bees.

Until we find a scientific observation on this, however, it is pure conjecture.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: Green Cochoa] #115040
06/24/09 12:45 PM
06/24/09 12:45 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
That's clear now. I had thought you were saying that if they were not resting, those two weeks would be shorter yet. What you have clarified should be easy to determine. However, even if the types of bees in Brazil live longer, it's confounded by being a different type of bee and therefore can't make a direct comparison. The best way is to watch them. Who's going to fund it? Perhaps some of the funding could come from those sponsoring studies showing that people who eat more gain more weight?

I think this is a nifty idea that is great when it supports one's view but completely falls apart when or if further observations contradict those views. I believe one should be careful about basing their religion on an antidote which if shown to be false would invalidate it. Even when sharing with others. Imagine the results when you tell someone, the Sabbath is true because bees keep it. Then what happens if it is shown to be false, misinterpreted, or shown that other creatures keep Sunday or Wednesday. The Sabbath is true from believing the Bible is true.

Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: kland] #115043
06/24/09 01:54 PM
06/24/09 01:54 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Our basis for the Sabbath should be based solely on the Bible rather than on a because the bees are keeping it.

If this is true about the bees keeping the Sabbath, or resting on the Sabbath, then we should see this as an interesting event, rather than as a form of evidence or basis of our own need to keep the Sabbath, or rest on the Sabbath.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: Daryl] #115045
06/24/09 02:29 PM
06/24/09 02:29 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Our basis for the Sabbath should be based solely on the Bible rather than on a because the bees are keeping it.
The sabbath keeping bees in not about proving the biblical sabbath, but rather digging into the wonders of our heavenly father principles of life and how He fulfills his laws in creatures that cannot read the bible or go to seminar to be convicted about the sabbath or other life fulfilling principles. Before Sin came into this world, all creation was in harmony with their Creator, and all were keeping the sabbath without knowing that they should keep the sabbath, and without knowing it was part of God's law.

That's what Dr.Lee talks about. By understanding how the Creator can communicate with it's creatures that don't go to universities and don't have an intellectual faculties like ours, how do they come to know the will of God. That's the essence of this phenomena. This essence will help us not be so Laodicean spirited and might bring us to depend more on God than our intellect and idols.

These bees are keeping the sabbath better than any of us, and there not as smart as us.

Blessings
Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: Elle] #115048
06/24/09 03:36 PM
06/24/09 03:36 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As keeping the Sabbath also involves worship and corporate worship at that by the assembling of ourselves together, are the bees doing that?

The answer to my question is an obvious no in that the bees do not have any intellect to do that.

If the bees are actually resting on the Sabbath, which would be an interesting phenomena, and I am not saying here whether they are or they aren't, then they are doing it out of some God given instinct.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: Elle] #115059
06/24/09 05:31 PM
06/24/09 05:31 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Elle
Before Sin came into this world, all creation was in harmony with their Creator, and all were keeping the sabbath without knowing that they should keep the sabbath, and without knowing it was part of God's law.

I'm sorry, I guess I don't recall that. Where do you find it?

Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: kland] #115086
06/25/09 10:53 AM
06/25/09 10:53 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Elle
Before Sin came into this world, all creation was in harmony with their Creator, and all were keeping the sabbath without knowing that they should keep the sabbath, and without knowing it was part of God's law.

I'm sorry, I guess I don't recall that. Where do you find it?

Where did I get that? A bit everywhere.

1. Isn't God's law is an expression of his love and wisdom including the sabbath?
2. Doesn't the harmony of the Whole universe "depend upon the perfect conformity of all beings, of everything, animate and inanimate, to the law of the Creator."
3. Isn't sin the Rebellion against God and His Laws?
4. Doesn't sin break the harmony in the whole universe? (I'm pretty sure Bible says that)
5. At Eden God blessed the 7th day, however, does it say that Adam and Eve knew about it? Did Adam and Eve knew about not to kill, or not to covet, or any of the other commandments?
6. Doesn't the Bible say the Sabbath is a forever commandment ?
7. Isn't the Sabbath the mark of God the Creator?
8. Doesn't EGW says somewhere that the Sabbath is observe in heaven?
9. Do you assume that God didn't give the Sabbath needed in his other creatures because God is uncapable of fulfilling that like in this example the bees?
10. Do you assume that only creatures with high level of intellect can keep the sabbath?

Blessings
Re: Sabbath Keeping Bees in Brazil? [Re: Elle] #115089
06/25/09 11:52 AM
06/25/09 11:52 AM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Ah, you conclude it.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!