HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? #117578
08/12/09 09:19 PM
08/12/09 09:19 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Mat 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Quote:
Luk 6:26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.
Luk 6:27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
Luk 6:28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
Luk 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other;...

Quote:
Mar 14:65 And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.

Quote:
Joh 18:22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?

Joh 19:2 And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe,
Joh 19:3 And said, Hail, King of the Jews! and they smote him with their hands.
Joh 19:5 Then came Jesus forth, wearing the crown of thorns, and the purple robe. And Pilate saith unto them, Behold the man!
Joh 19:6 When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him, and crucify him: for I find no fault in him.
Joh 19:17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:
Joh 19:18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.

Mar 15:29 And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,
Mar 15:30 Save thyself, and come down from the cross.
Mar 15:31 Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.
Mar 15:32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

so, was Jesus weak for allowing others to heap such abuse on Him? did He have to struggle not to retaliate?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117608
08/13/09 06:39 AM
08/13/09 06:39 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
I had this little embroidered saying and it comes to mind here.

"If you think being meek is weak,
try being meek for a week!" smile

Last edited by crater; 08/13/09 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: crater] #117621
08/13/09 04:01 PM
08/13/09 04:01 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
amen to that!!

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117758
08/19/09 02:10 PM
08/19/09 02:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus didn't allow them to heap abuse on Him until the "time". No one laid a hand on Him until the "time". He regularly escaped imminent danger without incident. He said "My time is not yet come." Then later on He said, "My time is at hand." That's when He allowed them to torture Him. And, no, Jesus didn't have to fight back wanting to hurt them. He loved them in spite of what they were doing to Him. There was nothing weak or wimpy about it. Such love requires supernatural strength. I pray for it all the time.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #117759
08/19/09 02:13 PM
08/19/09 02:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Don't know if this is off topic - but is it God's will for us to fight for our rights or to fight to defend ourselves? Or, does He expect us to allow people to hurt us and take our stuff?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #117767
08/19/09 02:55 PM
08/19/09 02:55 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
its amazing those are the only two options that come to our minds isnt it?!?

well it was for me, anyway, until incidents like these started registering on my mind.

check out the story of jehoshaphat.

it isnt singular.

or how about these?
Exo 14:14 The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
Deu 1:30 The LORD your God which goeth before you, he shall fight for you, according to all that he did for you in Egypt before your eyes;
Deu 3:22 Ye shall not fear them: for the LORD your God he shall fight for you.
Deu 20:4 For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #117772
08/19/09 03:04 PM
08/19/09 03:04 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Jesus didn't allow them to heap abuse on Him until the "time".
He didnt?

didnt His brothers abuse Him constantly because they didnt understand Him?

thats just for starters.

but then again, i guess, it all depends on how we define "abuse".
the less we know exactly what it involves the more we are likely to practice it.

Quote:
Such love requires supernatural strength. I pray for it all the time.
it can only be a gift, thank God, because i havent been able to manufacture it yet.

and wouldnt give 2 cents for the love others might think they have. smile

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117795
08/19/09 08:59 PM
08/19/09 08:59 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
There seems to be a fine balance between being meek and asserting one's rights.

When Christ was accused by the priests and Pharisees, he preserved his self-control, but he took his position decidedly that their charges were untrue. He said to them: "Which of you convinceth me of sin?" "If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil; but if well, why smitest thou me?" He knew that his position was right. When Paul and Silas were beaten and thrust into prison without trial or sentence, they did not surrender their right to be treated as honest citizens. When there was a great earthquake, and the foundations of the prison were shaken, and the doors were opened, and every man's bands were loosed, and the magistrates sent word to the prisoners that they might depart in peace, Paul entered a protest, and said: "They have beaten us openly uncondemned, being Romans, and have cast us into prison; and now do they thrust us out privily? Nay verily; but let them come themselves and fetch us out. . . . And they came and besought them, and brought them out, and desired them to depart out of the city." Through the action of Paul and Silas the name of God was magnified and the authorities were humbled. It was necessary that the honor of God should be vindicated at this time.
At all times and in all places the Christian should be that which the Lord designs that he should be,--a free man in Christ Jesus. ... To be meek does not mean that we shall regard ourselves as in a servile condition; for Christ is our sufficiency. ... In the world the Christian will be slighted and dishonored, and will consent to be least of all and servant of all. He will submit to be injured, to be despitefully used and persecuted, but wearing the yoke of Christ he will find rest unto his soul, and the yoke will not be galling. {ST, August 22, 1895 par. 4, 5}

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Rosangela] #117798
08/19/09 10:01 PM
08/19/09 10:01 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
There seems to be a fine balance between being meek and asserting one's rights.

When Christ was accused by the priests and Pharisees, he preserved his self-control, but he took his position decidedly that their charges were untrue.... He knew that his position was right. When Paul and Silas were beaten and thrust into prison without trial or sentence, they did not surrender their right to be treated as honest citizens.... Paul entered a protest, and said: "They have beaten us openly uncondemned, being Romans, and have cast us into prison; and now do they thrust us out privily? Nay verily; but let them come themselves and fetch us out. . . . Through the action of Paul and Silas the name of God was magnified and the authorities were humbled. It was necessary that the honor of God should be vindicated at this time.
At all times and in all places the Christian should be that which the Lord designs that he should be,--a free man in Christ Jesus. ... {ST, August 22, 1895 par. 4, 5}
interesting points being brought up at this particular time! also interesting how the Lord works when one calls on Him.

notice in Jesus case, and multitudes of others, they went ahead and continued to disrespect Him specifically, by putting Him on the cross. with others they were burned at the stake. that continues to happen with others today who are in the right. events are twisted and made to look as if one thing happened when in reality completely different events happened. that is just one example. our words can also be twisted, as they tried to do with Jesus, but He knew what He had said and what the issue was.

we never know when God will allow us to go down in ignominy,

or when He will intervene causing the ones in the wrong to hang him/herself.

in either case it is to His glory. at all times we are to turn the other cheek in love and allow God to work out our vengence for His glory.

in the end He wants to save the one harming others, in whatever form that might be, as much as He wants to save the one being harmed.

Psa 119:126 It is time for thee, LORD, to work: for they have made void thy law. i am always amazed at how He works when we call on Him to act! how he lets the perpetrators hang themselves leaves me with my mouth open.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117807
08/20/09 01:17 AM
08/20/09 01:17 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Yes, since both Jesus' and Paul's behavior was beyond reproach, nothing could be said against them. This was the reason why they could assert their rights. And the same must be true of every Christian.

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!