HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Daryl, dedication, 3 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Rosangela] #117816
08/20/09 03:51 AM
08/20/09 03:51 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
notice how gently the Lord can work!! absolutely amazing! then i guess He has to get stronger sometimes. frown and even sadder is when He has to give up, "let ephraim go". then He stops trying to convict us but lets us go the way we insist on going. we wonder at the jewish people in the days of Christ and the apostles.

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Yes, since both Jesus' and Paul's behavior was beyond reproach, nothing could be said against them.
thats an interesting perspective.

it seems quite a bit was said against them, by those in power with Jesus, from the way i read it. but both Jesus and paul knew they were in the right. they knew the charges were not trueaccording to the quote.

while there was a higher earthly authority that could be appealed to that doesnt always work, again with the example of Jesus.

a side issue worthy of its own topic.

im not sure if your quotes relate to mms questions. "turn the other cheek" would have to do with not retaliating when someone does a real or perceived wrong, i would think. i dont see it related to speaking up when wrongs are committed.

defending ourself can get touchy. i would think what is going on in our mind as we consider defending ourselves would probably be the key to whether we are doing right or not.

are we out to get the other person? are we caring more about our self-preservation than the salvation of the other person? are we out to stop them no matter what methods/tactics we have to use? do we feel any "tugging" of the Holy Spirit?

those are some questions that come to mind.

but ultimately, i wonder if we are willing to allow the Lord control of the situation even if it means our death?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117817
08/20/09 03:57 AM
08/20/09 03:57 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
do we see Jesus as weak for allowing others to mistreat Him almost from day 1? He was God. He came to show us how the Father is. would the Father "get even"?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117826
08/20/09 02:14 PM
08/20/09 02:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't believe asserting one's rights is the right concept. What Christ was doing was speaking out in behalf of the truth. There was no self-interest involved, but "truth-interest."

To throw a monkey wrench into things, it's very easy for us to deceive ourselves, and think we are acting out of "righteousness indignation" or some appropriate principle, when really we're just acting out of self interest. The truth is important, but defending our self isn't.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Tom] #117828
08/20/09 02:34 PM
08/20/09 02:34 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Well I've certainly had some "righteous indignation" myself this week. Not for myself, but for the way some good friends of mine were treated.

I think it is appropriate to have "righteous indignation" in certain situations. In this case, it was a classic example of church politics at play. The two-faced leader who wished to boot these friends of mine from the institution came sweetly to them with a face of sympathy, promising to help them, if possible, to be able to stay. At the board meeting later, instead of bringing up the options this person had promised to raise in the meeting, this "leader" actually recommended against them, and in favor of a different plan which would mean my hapless friends would have just two days to exit the country, since they would no longer be able to renew their visas. This left them in a quandary, with countless things to pack, tickets to buy, paperwork to do, etc. on extremely short notice. These friends of mine have been very dedicated missionary workers here, and to my knowledge are the only ones in the institution having regular Bible studies with the non-Christian locals.

"We wrestle not against flesh and blood...." But it hurts to have it come from our own side...."friendly fire" they call it?

If it's a sin to be "righteously indignant" over such unChristian, and unfair treatment of others, please pray for me, as this has hit me hard.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Tom] #117830
08/20/09 04:41 PM
08/20/09 04:41 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I don't believe asserting one's rights is the right concept. What Christ was doing was speaking out in behalf of the truth. There was no self-interest involved, but "truth-interest."

To throw a monkey wrench into things, it's very easy for us to deceive ourselves, and think we are acting out of "righteousness indignation" or some appropriate principle, when really we're just acting out of self interest. The truth is important, but defending our self isn't.
even defending the truth can cause us to break the law, whether ignorantly or willfully. many times we can think we are defending the truth, when in reality we are merely defending our own particular understanding but dont know it.

i think defending a churchs stance on any position would also come into play here. blindly defending any churchs position without having studied out the issues involved..."the church teaches it and that settles it for me". the church has to be right....

we really havent learned any lessons from history. when we start defending the churchs position over studying for ourselves, well, that seems to me to make us just as papal as any papist.

speaking the truth, many times, upsets the status quo which brings out the defenders of the status quo.

those dark ages were bloody, as were the reformation years. what is the estimation of how many the papacy put to death? what about both sides of the reformation years?

which brings us back to turning the other cheek and not retaliating when wronged whether real or perceived.

green cochoa, i am very sorry for what is going on with your friends. i will keep the situation in prayer. may God do what is right for all involved.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117882
08/21/09 03:17 PM
08/21/09 03:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Again, Jesus did everything on time, in a timely manner, according to the schedule mapped out for Him from eternity. He turned the other cheek when the time was right. But He also employed "His strange act" when the time was right. While here in the flesh, Jesus did not wield the sword. The time wasn't right. The "two phases of Christ's work,--as a suffering sacrifice and a conquering king" (DA 136) play out according to precise timing.

Ecclesiastes
3:1 To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up [that which is] planted;
3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #117887
08/21/09 04:31 PM
08/21/09 04:31 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
turning the other cheek means to not retaliate when mistreated. are you saying there is a time to retaliate?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117888
08/21/09 04:53 PM
08/21/09 04:53 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Were not a great many untrue things spoken concerning the Saviour, and did He retaliate? God wants us to stand in moral dignity, recommending the divine power that enables us to possess our souls in patience. {GCB, April 4, 1901 par. 19}

Every man who transgresses the law of God places himself on the wrong side. His nature changes, and he becomes evil. All such will assuredly oppress their fellow men. God's people will suffer persecution from those who, if they had the Spirit of the Master, would manifest the same pitying love. But they are moved by a power from beneath, and they teach for doctrine the commandments of men. They do battle against God in the person of his saints; but God would have us remember that we are not to retaliate under provocation. {RH, November 7, 1899 par. 19}

But there were some who sought his society, feeling at peace in his presence, because he never contended for his rights. Tho he loved his brethren, yet they hated him, and manifested the most decided unbelief and contempt. In his home life, where all should have been at peace, he was constantly confronted by envy and jealousy. His labors were made unnecessarily severe because he was willing and uncomplaining. He did not fail nor become discouraged. He lived above these difficulties, as if in the light of God's countenance. He did not retaliate when he was roughly used, but bore insult patiently, and in his human nature became an example for all children and youth. He endured the heat and the cold, the sun and the rain, of his native hills and valleys. {ST, August 6, 1896 par. 8}

If you are annoyed or threatened in the streets by quarrelsome boys, do not retaliate. It is truly noble to forgive and pass over a wrong; but it is mean and cowardly to revenge an injury. Let me entreat you to be above everything like engaging in a dispute, or speaking disrespectfully or sneeringly of those who annoy you, and do not respect themselves enough to behave properly. Such boys are to be pitied. They have but little happiness. {AY 65.1}

Who and What is our example? how Christ lived on this earth? or a, perhaps faulty, picture of the God of the universe?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Tom] #117905
08/21/09 10:36 PM
08/21/09 10:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

If you are having trouble with the word "assert," you can express it in another way. I'm limited in this respect, as you know. But there is a fine balance between being meek and not surrendering one's rights.

To be meek is not to surrender our rights; but it is the preservation of self-control under provocation to give way to anger or to the spirit of retaliation. Meekness will not allow passion to take the lines. {ST, August 22, 1895 par. 3}

As I said, there must be a fine balance here. Being a people pleaser and a doormat for others is one extreme. Thinking that you are being persecuted if someone simply disagrees with you or sees things in a different light from you; or, drawing persecution upon yourself, is the other extreme. The key word is balance, and balance is found in unselfish meekness - not surrendering one's rights, but also not retaliating when under real persecution.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117906
08/21/09 10:55 PM
08/21/09 10:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
turning the other cheek means to not retaliate when mistreated. are you saying there is a time to retaliate?

I tend to think turning the other cheek means to keep our eyes on Jesus when someone is being abusive. However, I do not think it means to hand over my daughter after the bad guy is done raping my wife.

Reply Quote
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!