HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,594
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #117907
08/21/09 11:08 PM
08/21/09 11:08 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
True. I don't think Lot's behavior in offering his two daughters was correct - or meek.
Turning the other cheek must have a context - and it doesn't seem to be something literal, or something applicable to all circumstances, for when Christ was slapped in the face at His trial, He didn't turn the other cheek but said instead, "If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil; but if well, why do you strike Me?"

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #117913
08/22/09 03:04 AM
08/22/09 03:04 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: teresaq
turning the other cheek means to not retaliate when mistreated. are you saying there is a time to retaliate?

I tend to think turning the other cheek means to keep our eyes on Jesus when someone is being abusive. However, I do not think it means to hand over my daughter after the bad guy is done raping my wife.
i find it intriguing that almost immediately the topic turned to protecting ourself instead of studying Christs meekness.

i would think we already had self and self-preservation down to an artform.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Rosangela] #117916
08/22/09 03:31 AM
08/22/09 03:31 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Turning the other cheek ... for when Christ was slapped in the face at His trial, He didn't turn the other cheek but said instead, "If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil; but if well, why do you strike Me?"
ahhhh! the light is dawning!! it looks like i have developed a different picture of what turning the other cheek means than, apparently, others have developed.

for me, Jesus did turn the other cheek. pointing out abuse is not being retaliatory. of course it didnt do Him much good. they wanted to shut Him up so bad they didnt care what they did to Him.

i think Jesus was very strong in allowing others to mistreat Him over and over - and loved them still. still spent hours in prayer to reach out to any and all, to heal those who would never thank Him...

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117945
08/22/09 02:26 PM
08/22/09 02:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I tend to think turning the other cheek means to keep our eyes on Jesus when someone is being abusive. However, I do not think it means to hand over my daughter after the bad guy is done raping my wife.

t: i find it intriguing that almost immediately the topic turned to protecting ourself instead of studying Christs meekness. i would think we already had self and self-preservation down to an artform.

I don't understand your comment. Are you surprised someone would observe on this thread that turning the other cheek means keeping our eyes on Jesus?

In what sense do you think refusing to offer my daughter to be raped after the bad guy is done raping my wife is an art form of self and self-preservation?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117951
08/22/09 04:51 PM
08/22/09 04:51 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
turning the other cheek means to not retaliate when mistreated
it looks like i have developed a different picture of what turning the other cheek means than, apparently, others have developed.

for me, Jesus did turn the other cheek. pointing out abuse is not being retaliatory.

True. Your definition is only one of several available. Context determines which definition applies.

i think Jesus was very strong in allowing others to mistreat Him over and over - and loved them still.

Yes, we could say Jesus was very strong. We could also say Jesus was very loving.

There are times when God's strength is displayed by NOT allowing mistreatment. And He will love both the mistreated and the mistreater.

Love will dictate what God will do - whether to allow mistreatment or prevent it.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #117955
08/22/09 05:26 PM
08/22/09 05:26 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
In what sense do you think refusing to offer my daughter to be raped after the bad guy is done raping my wife is an art form of self and self-preservation?

There is a masochistic concept of meekness. But that's not what God has in mind.

If someone comes to rape my wife, I will definitely have a few words with the bad guy. And I guarantee that one of us will be incapacitated by the time the conversation is over. If he does finish with my wife, I will be in no condition to offer my daughter.

I love my wife and daughter too much to let someone do that to them, and I love the bad guy too much to let him do that to himself.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: asygo] #117956
08/22/09 05:35 PM
08/22/09 05:35 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
turning the other cheek means to not retaliate when mistreated
it looks like i have developed a different picture of what turning the other cheek means than, apparently, others have developed.

for me, Jesus did turn the other cheek. pointing out abuse is not being retaliatory.

True. Your definition is only one of several available. Context determines which definition applies.
im interested to know other definitions that would apply in Jesus life here on earth. "Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek?" (i didnt mean for it to rhyme, it just turned out that way. smile )

we are told that Jesus life here on earth is our example so studying His life, i would think, would cover all the bases.

i mean, that His life would show what turning the other cheek is and is not.

would you agree or disagree?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #117958
08/22/09 05:41 PM
08/22/09 05:41 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
M: I tend to think turning the other cheek means to keep our eyes on Jesus when someone is being abusive. However, I do not think it means to hand over my daughter after the bad guy is done raping my wife.

t: i find it intriguing that almost immediately the topic turned to protecting ourself instead of studying Christs meekness. i would think we already had self and self-preservation down to an artform.

I don't understand your comment. Are you surprised someone would observe on this thread that turning the other cheek means keeping our eyes on Jesus?

we are told that Jesus life here on earth is our example so studying His life, i would think, would cover all the bases.

i mean, that His life would show what turning the other cheek is and is not.

would you agree or disagree?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #117977
08/22/09 11:04 PM
08/22/09 11:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Pardon my jumping in, but what conclusions have we reached so far?
Turning the other cheek shouldn’t be taken in the literal sense, but in the figurative sense of not retaliating, for when Christ was slapped in the face at His trial, He didn't physically turn the other cheek, but pointed out abuse. As you said, pointing out abuse is not being retaliatory. Now, MM is just analyzing a situation which goes one step further. Instead of simply pointing out abuse, he is analyzing the question of preventing abuse. So the question is, Being meek, or turning the other cheek, means you must let abuse happen? How can this question be answered on the basis of Christ’s life?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Rosangela] #117980
08/22/09 11:27 PM
08/22/09 11:27 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Pardon my jumping in, but what conclusions have we reached so far? Turning the other cheek shouldn’t be taken in the literal sense, ...

i dont know. im up for trying it out, by the grace of God. unfortunately, being altogether too human, i hope i remember. it doesnt necessarily mean actually being hit...it can apply to something else. either way im up for it.

i remember reading one particular book about a russian police officer who routinely, with others, hunted down the christians in the woods. he related an event where an old woman was being hit. she prayed out loud, Father, forgive them. he felt someone grab his arm, tho no one did, as he was about to hit her again. eventually he was converted.

another story is of a man who would be raking his lawn or whatever and certain individuals would come along and push him down and taunt him. he just got back up and kept on what he was doing. it ended up impressing the taunters so much they stopped.

ive read many such stories.

so my question would be, where does trust in God play into this?

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!