HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #118670
09/02/09 05:07 PM
09/02/09 05:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
The statutes and judgments given of God were good for the obedient. "They should live in them." But they were not good for the transgressor; for in the civil law given to Moses, punishment was to be inflicted on the transgressor, that others should be restrained by fear. {1SP 266.1}

The infliction of civil punishment symbolized the fact that the inevitable result of sin is capital punishment not emotional anguish ending in death.

PS - Turning the other cheek has its place and time, but so does retributive justice. In judgment, Jesus will not turn the other cheek. Instead, He will execute justice.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Rosangela] #118692
09/02/09 09:53 PM
09/02/09 09:53 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
May the Lord help us personally to not repeat their sins. But yes, we must discuss their situation when we speak of the death penalty in the OT.
Most of us experience three steps in our Christian growth. The first is “I serve God because I fear punishment if I don’t.” The second, “I serve God because it is the right thing to do.” And the third, “I serve God because I love Him.”
They were at step one (if not below it). As you said in another thread, God meets us where we are.
you might like Christian Maturity: The Seven Stages of Moral Development.

i personally think i was far below stage 1 when i started out. stage 7 and beyond is a beautiful goal, in keeping with this topic.

Quote:
And the third, “I serve God because I love Him.”
if i may add to that, without fearing any kind of punishment, nor for eternal reward.

i would do it even if there were no future life because it is the most satisfying way to live.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #118709
09/03/09 01:35 AM
09/03/09 01:35 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
if i may add to that, without fearing any kind of punishment, nor for eternal reward.

Jean de Joinville tells a famous incident about a woman who carried in one hand a chafing dish of fire, and in the other a phial of water, that she might burn heaven and quench hell, lest in future any man should serve God merely for hope of the one or fear of the other.

This is interesting, but I'm not sure I would serve God if there was no heaven. And I'm not speaking about mansions or anything like that. I'm speaking about Christ, for Christ is heaven. If I had no hope of ever being with Him, I think it wouldn't be worth it to continue living.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Rosangela] #118718
09/03/09 02:59 AM
09/03/09 02:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Amen!

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Rosangela] #118773
09/04/09 05:46 PM
09/04/09 05:46 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:

Jean de Joinville tells a famous incident about a woman who carried in one hand a chafing dish of fire, and in the other a phial of water, that she might burn heaven and quench hell, lest in future any man should serve God merely for hope of the one or fear of the other.

This is interesting, but I'm not sure I would serve God if there was no heaven. And I'm not speaking about mansions or anything like that. I'm speaking about Christ, for Christ is heaven. If I had no hope of ever being with Him, I think it wouldn't be worth it to continue living.
i would because i know what sin is.

but i dont think your two thoughts go together. serving God is one thing.

living without Christ is another.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #118774
09/04/09 05:55 PM
09/04/09 05:55 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Quote:
The statutes and judgments given of God were good for the obedient. "They should live in them." But they were not good for the transgressor; for in the civil law given to Moses, punishment was to be inflicted on the transgressor, that others should be restrained by fear. {1SP 266.1}

The infliction of civil punishment symbolized the fact that the inevitable result of sin is capital punishment not emotional anguish ending in death.

PS - Turning the other cheek has its place and time, but so does retributive justice. In judgment, Jesus will not turn the other cheek. Instead, He will execute justice.
did you ever notice how little effect "retributive" judgment had on the israelites? this is just after the earth opened up and swallowed korah, etc., and after the 250 were "consumed".
Num 16:41 But on the morrow all the congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron, saying, Ye have killed the people of the LORD.

one would think that would have a lasting impression for at least a week, but that is how sin is. it blinds and deceives us.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: teresaq] #118775
09/04/09 05:58 PM
09/04/09 05:58 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
i would because i know what sin is.

but i dont think your two thoughts go together. serving God is one thing.

living without Christ is another.

I, too, know what sin is. But what I mean is that if this earthly life was all there is, I would have put an end to it long ago.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Jesus Weak for Turning the Other Cheek? [Re: Mountain Man] #118776
09/04/09 06:01 PM
09/04/09 06:01 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
have you also noticed that it is the cross that we will be studying for endless ages, not "retributive justice"?

Both the redeemed and the unfallen beings will find in the cross of Christ their science and their song.

It will be seen that the glory shining in the face of Jesus is the glory of self-sacrificing love.

In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self-renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven;

that the love which "seeketh not her own" has its source in the heart of God;

and that in the meek and lowly One is manifested the character of Him who dwelleth in the light which no man can approach unto. {DA 19.2}

according to this, God, the Father, is just like Jesus, meek and lowly.

Reply Quote
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!