HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, TruthinTypes, 2 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 53 of 105 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121386
11/08/09 08:50 PM
11/08/09 08:50 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
a:If the wicked want to live forever instead of becoming dead forever, can they choose that?

T:Yes! God does not take the power of choice from the wicked. As DA 764 points out, the receive the result of their choice. GC 543 says the same thing ("the exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves").

GC:Your view here, Tom, goes completely contrary to what I was brought up believing based on scriptures like Psalm 37:4-5.

In the portion you quoted, I made three points:

1.God does not take away the power of choice of the wicked.
2.The wicked receive the result of their choice.
3.GC 543 echoes point 2 in saying that their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves.

Which of these points are you disagreeing with?

Quote:
If one does not need to commit his way to the Lord in righteousness in order to have the desires of his heart, it seems that Satan does indeed have a kingdom all his own in which God will not interfere.

I said nothing about not needed to commit one's way to the Lord.

Quote:
If one can merely avoid God's punishment by his own free choice, I am certain there will be no such thing as punishment--and in its place, we will have immortal sinners.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. My point, from what you cited above, is that God does not take away the wicked's power of choice. They receive what they choose. You are writing here that one cannot "merely avoid God's punishment by his own free choice," which isn't something I said.

There are two laws in the universe. One is the law of life for the universe, which is self-sacrificing love. One receives from the hand of God to give to others. The other is the law of selfishness. The wicked have chosen the law of selfishness, and receive the results of that choice.

God does not force anyone to choose what they choose.

As GC 543 says:

Quote:
The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.

Quote:
Continuing that line of thought, texts like these would be invalidated:

----------

But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out. Numbers 32:23

This looks to be saying the same thing Sister White said, that the wicked receive the result of their choice.

Quote:
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:15

This is one I've been quoting to make my point.

Quote:
He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. Revelation 22:11

----------

That last text could never be true, because God would not really take anyone's free choice away and force them to remain as they are.

I'm trying to understand your point. I think what you're saying is that Rev. 22:11 can only be true if God takes away the power of choice of the wicked. Is that correct? Presumably this would also apply to the righteous.

Iow, your argument is:

1.The text says "let he who is righteous remain righteous still" and "let him who is unholy remain unholy," which means that no matter what the holy person or unholy person may wish to do, they must remain holy or unholy respectively, because that's what the text says.

2.Therefore God takes away their free will.

3.Therefore what I said is incorrect, because if it were correct, the above text could not be true.

Did I understand you correctly?

Quote:
If the wicked want to live forever instead of becoming dead forever, can they choose that?

Yes! God does not take the power of choice from the wicked. As DA 764 points out, the receive the result of their choice. GC 543 says the same thing ("the exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves").

Tom,

You cleverly avoid context when making your arguments, so that it appears you have a valid reason for making the statements you do, and that others' reasoning is inconsistent. CONTEXT! (I seem to be reminding you of this about as frequently as you remind us to quote you. Notice that I have quoted you again in this post.)

What was the context of your above discussion with Arnold? What have we been discussing on this thread? Is it not the post-second-resurrection judgment? Am I wrong to suggest that is what we have been talking about here?

Revelation 22:11 ends the Great Controversy in terms of the eternal destiny of each and every individual, would you agree? Does God or does God not draw the line at that point on whom are saved?

Can one choose to be saved AFTER this statement is made? If not, why not?

In your discussion with Arnold, you implied (but of course, as your inattention to context causes you to continually shift to non-relevant points of discussion, I suppose you didn't actually mean to say this) that the lost, after the second resurrection, can STILL choose to be saved (or at least live forever as immortal sinners, per Arnold's question which you answered in the affirmative)--for God has not taken away their power of choice.

Is that truly your position? If so, how do you reconcile this view with Revelation 22:11?

In answer to your question about the freedom of choice, I differ with you slightly. I believe God will never remove anyone's freedom of choice. However, I do not believe that this means God is a giant "genie" who grants everyone's slightest whims simply because they "choose" them. "Free choice" does not imply lack of consequences for those choices. Having made a choice, the consequence may very well NOT be of one's own choosing.

In my mind, this thread is about just such consequences. The time to choose has already past. It is too late to choose life when once the judgments are already falling.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

PS -- If I were not presently plagued with a splitting headache (unusual for me), I would not be up in the middle of the night as I am responding to you now. I should be sleeping. It is possible that in my present state I have not clearly understood your statements or that I have also not communicated clearly. Please have patience with me. smile

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121388
11/09/09 12:10 AM
11/09/09 12:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Tom,

You cleverly avoid context when making your arguments, so that it appears you have a valid reason for making the statements you do, and that others' reasoning is inconsistent.

I've asked you several times to avoid doing this. There's no need to make personal comments. I understand you have a splitting headache, and make allowance for this, but please leave out these sorts of comments.

I am not cleverly avoiding context. Please don't ascribe these sorts of motives to me. I'm trying to understand what you are saying. I wrote out what I thought you were saying. I asked you if what I wrote is correct. I'm not trying to misrepresent anything, or present your ideas in a negative light, but as accurately as I can, based on what you quoted from what I said, and based on your comments.

Quote:
CONTEXT! (I seem to be reminding you of this about as frequently as you remind us to quote you. Notice that I have quoted you again in this post.)

What was the context of your above discussion with Arnold? What have we been discussing on this thread? Is it not the post-second-resurrection judgment? Am I wrong to suggest that is what we have been talking about here?

Revelation 22:11 ends the Great Controversy in terms of the eternal destiny of each and every individual, would you agree? Does God or does God not draw the line at that point on whom are saved?

No, God does not do this. We do! It is our decision if we will be saved or not, not God's.

Quote:
Can one choose to be saved AFTER this statement is made? If not, why not?

No, one can't choose to change one's mind, because one's character has been set. It's not an arbitrary decision on the part of God to not allow one not to change one's mind, as if God would disallow it if a person wanted to repent, but no person will want to repent. After the resurrection, we will be unable to change our minds, which is why there is so much emphasis in inspiration that we realize that the decisions we make now have eternal repercussions.

Quote:
In your discussion with Arnold, you implied (but of course, as your inattention to context causes you to continually shift to non-relevant points of discussion, I suppose you didn't actually mean to say this) that the lost, after the second resurrection, can STILL choose to be saved (or at least live forever as immortal sinners, per Arnold's question which you answered in the affirmative)--for God has not taken away their power of choice.

I've said the same thing I'm saying here. God does not take away anyone's freedom of choice. People's destinies are set by the choices they make in this lifetime. God does not force anyone to be saved or lost against their will. As the SOP puts it, "their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves." The context is that, in the hereafter, the wicked, seeing what heaven is like, desire no part of it, and voluntarily choose to be excluded from it.

Quote:
Is that truly your position? If so, how do you reconcile this view with Revelation 22:11?

There's nothing to reconcile. We are not Calvinists. Rev. 22:11 is not speaking of an arbitrary decree, of God's will overriding ours, but of a recognition of reality. We set our destinies by the choices we make, either accepting or rejecting light. We fix our characters. This is in full harmony with inspiration.

Quote:
In answer to your question about the freedom of choice, I differ with you slightly. I believe God will never remove anyone's freedom of choice. However, I do not believe that this means God is a giant "genie" who grants everyone's slightest whims simply because they "choose" them.

What does this have to do with anything? We're talking about salvation, not whims. God wants everyone to be saved. If a person wants to be saved, and chooses to repent, they can be saved.

Quote:
"Free choice" does not imply lack of consequences for those choices.

Of course not! This is in harmony with what I've been emphasizing, that God allows the wicked to receive the results of their choice. This is what causes their suffering and death. Their choices have consequences.

Quote:
Having made a choice, the consequence may very well NOT be of one's own choosing.

Of course. This is the reality we experience every days.

Quote:
In my mind, this thread is about just such consequences. The time to choose has already past. It is too late to choose life when once the judgments are already falling.

Sure. The order is:

a.God sends light, to bring about repentance.
b.That light is rejected.
c.The heart is hardened.
d.God sends more light.
e.As a-c is repeated, eventually the heart becomes completely hardened, and repentance is no longer possible.
f.God is caused to remove His protection, and the wicked receive the result of their choice.

When f. occurs, it's too late, because the heart has been hardened beyond the point of being able to respond to the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
PS -- If I were not presently plagued with a splitting headache (unusual for me), I would not be up in the middle of the night as I am responding to you now. I should be sleeping. It is possible that in my present state I have not clearly understood your statements or that I have also not communicated clearly. Please have patience with me.

I understand this, and appreciate your position very much, having suffered through this same problem very recently. The only issue I have in your post is in the beginning, where you are ascribing to me the motive of wishing to avoid context in my arguments, which is not something I have the least desire to do.

I have striven, to the best of my ability, to understand your posts according to what I think you are trying to communicate.

I hope you feel better soon. Not being able to sleep and having head-aches isn't much fun.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121389
11/09/09 02:24 AM
11/09/09 02:24 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
R: Tom, I agree with Mike's point. Ellen White says: "By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them."--DA 764.

So, it's God's glory, or presence, which destroys the wicked. But if the revelation of God's glory (which, according to you, is His character) occurs at the judgment, how does your chronology harmonize with this fact? When the wicked die, the judgment has already ended and they have turned on Satan.

T: Regarding the chronological question, if His physical presence causes destroy them, then they would die at the judgment seat of Christ, since each one is present at the judgment seat of Christ. If it is God's glory which destroys the wicked, then it's not a literal fire which does so, is it?

Tom, your view of things is not far off from the point Rosangela agrees with. You wrote, “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) I realize you divorce the radiant light of God’s person and presence from the equation, nevertheless, you admit God is able to dampen (temper, moderate, minimize) the revelation and comprehension of His character and tailor it so that the wicked do not die prematurely.

But another point remains – Chronologically, according to the GC account (reposted below), the wicked do not suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness until after they complete revisiting their sins in the presence of God. They are very much alive afterward. It is not until God rains down fire from above and raises fire up from below that they begin to be punished and destroyed according to their words and deeds.

1. “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed . . . all behold the enormity of their guilt.”
2. “They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . .”
3. “The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah . . . Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”
4. “Fire comes down from God out of heaven.”
5. “The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.”
6. “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished according to their deeds.”
7. “In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed.”

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121392
11/09/09 02:49 AM
11/09/09 02:49 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. On the one hand you say they are separated and cut off from the only source of life, while on the other hand you say God gives them existence. Why do you think this makes sense?

T: I didn't say this. DA 764 said this. How could anyone exist unless God gave them existence?

You’re not addressing my point. You believe they are separated and cut off from the only source of life. As you said, “What keeps them alive when they cut themselves off from life?”

Quote:
M: Also, do you agree each person will revisit each sin, one at a time, during judgment as if they were the only one on trial? Consider the following passage:

T: If your idea is that every single sin a person has committed will be visited, one at a time, starting from when they were an infant, and covering every moment of their lives, I don't think this is what the passage is saying. This would take many years to accomplish. She speaks of men's characters and lives passing through review. I think that's the right way of looking at it. This is very similar to what I've been saying, that each person's life will be examined, or reviewed, to the person himself.

M: Do you think they will revisit their sins, character, and life in full and complete detail as if they were the only one on trial? Or, do you think God will skip over certain sins or lump certain sins together and deal with them as one?

T: I think God will examine the person's life with them, going through the points necessary for the person to see the important points, including where they turned away from the wooing of the Holy Spirit, rejecting the voice of Christ, making choices that set their character, and so forth.

I hear you saying, yes, God punctuates their life focusing on epic moments overlooking the rest. There isn’t time enough to revisit each and every sin. You believe the repeated use of the word “every” in the following passages makes this point abundantly clear:

There is a record also of the sins of men. "For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Says the Saviour: "By thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." {GC 481.2}

As the books of record are opened in the judgment, the lives of all who have believed on Jesus come in review before God. Beginning with those who first lived upon the earth, our Advocate presents the cases of each successive generation, and closes with the living. Every name is mentioned, every case closely investigated. Names are accepted, names rejected. {GC 483.1}

Though all nations are to pass in judgment before God, yet He will examine the case of each individual with as close and searching scrutiny as if there were not another being upon the earth. Everyone must be tested and found without spot or wrinkle or any such thing. {GC 489.3}

Every man's work passes in review before God and is registered for faithfulness or unfaithfulness. Opposite each name in the books of heaven is entered with terrible exactness every wrong word, every selfish act, every unfulfilled duty, and every secret sin, with every artful dissembling. {GC 482.1}

Thus was presented to the prophet's vision the great and solemn day when the characters and the lives of men should pass in review before the Judge of all the earth, and to every man should be rendered "according to his works." {GC 479.2}

Quote:
M: You also believe revisiting one of the lesser sins will be sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death.

T: I don't think I've written this.

M: Do you think one of the “lesser sins” (4T 384) is sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

T: I don't think thinking of this in terms of "sin" is the right way of looking at it. It should be though of in terms of "sin." The essence of sin is selfishness. There are two laws one can just to life by. The law of life for the universe, which is self-sacrificing love, and the law of selfishness. One leads to life, and the other to death. The judgment will reveal how selfishness has ruined the character of each one who has chosen to live according to its principles.

Is your answer to the question, No? Do you think one sin is insufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

Quote:
T: God prevents sinners from dying prematurely, by the same means He uses now.

M: By what means does God prevent sinners from dying prematurely during judgment? Please avoid the temptation to answer this question by saying, “He prevents them from reaping the real results of sinning.”

T: You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.

Why do you think this observation answers my question? “By what means does God prevent sinners from dying prematurely during judgment?”

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121394
11/09/09 03:19 AM
11/09/09 03:19 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
T: I believe what DA 764 says, that "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is 'alienated from the life of God.'"

M: Why do you think this insight explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

T: Why do you think I think this? Any of this? Either the premise or the conclusion? Where have I said anything about angels living while separated and cut off from God?

You quoted the passage above in response to the question above (I merely repeated the question). Do you think evil angels have chosen “the service of sin”? If so, do you think they have separated and cut themselves off from God? If so, do you think God continues to serve as their fountain of life? If so, what do you think it means to be separated from God and cut off from life?

Quote:
M: According to you evil angels willfully sinned in the presence of God without suffering or dying.

T: You don't believe these angels sinned in God's presence? I don't see how that's possible.

M: You didn’t answer my question.

T: This is because your question is assuming certain things. I'm trying to ascertain where you get the assumptions from, and if you yourself agree with them.

Do you believe evil angels willfully sinned in the presence of God? If so, why do you think they were able to do so without suffering and dying? Ellen said they fully comprehended God’s character, so much so that there was nothing else God could say or do to empower them to repent and to resume obeying Him. And yet you seem to think revisiting their sins in the presence of God will cause them to suffer and die. Your conclusions do not make sense to me.

Quote:
M: Ellen wrote, “To sin, wherever found, our God is a consuming fire. . . wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed.”

T: And your point is?

Why didn’t this happen to evil angels in heaven? Why did it happen to evil men on earth?

Quote:
T: Regarding your question if we can learn what will kill the wicked by studying how and why Christ died, absolutely. That's what I've been saying.

M: If, as you say, the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did, why, then, do you also believe Jesus conquered the second death and voluntarily died the first death?

T: Is this what I said? I don't see that I said this. I see the above quote saying what I said. Why from what I wrote do you conclude I said what you concluded? This question seems to be based on an assumption I'm not seeing the reason for.

Do you believe the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did? And, do you believe Jesus conquered the second death and voluntarily died the first death? If you answer, yes, to both questions, do you see a conflict or contradiction? If not, why not?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121395
11/09/09 03:34 AM
11/09/09 03:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, your view of things is not far off from the point Rosangela agrees with. You wrote, “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) I realize you divorce the radiant light of God’s person and presence from the equation, nevertheless, you admit God is able to dampen (temper, moderate, minimize) the revelation and comprehension of His character and tailor it so that the wicked do not die prematurely.

But another point remains – Chronologically, according to the GC account (reposted below), the wicked do not suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness until after they complete revisiting their sins in the presence of God. They are very much alive afterward. It is not until God rains down fire from above and raises fire up from below that they begin to be punished and destroyed according to their words and deeds.

1. “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed . . . all behold the enormity of their guilt.”
2. “They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . .”
3. “The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah . . . Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”
4. “Fire comes down from God out of heaven.”
5. “The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.”
6. “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished according to their deeds.”
7. “In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed.”

I think you've concluded some things I haven't intended to communicate. I'm sorry if I've had any hand in this. I've tried to stay as close to inspiration as possible, and would like to continue to do so. I think DA 764 explains that destruction of the wicked very clearly, and agree with what it says. I don't see any way to make that fit with some of the ideas you appear to have, especially the radiant firelight idea.

Regarding the chronology, I've mentioned that there appears to me to be a doubling back in the paragraph discussing the proportional suffering of the wicked. Regarding their death, there seems to be a number of possibilities, which I don't wish to go into. The only point in regards to the death of the wicked that I feel strongly about is that they won't be burned alive for many hours or many days.

That the suffering of the wicked is proportional to their sin makes perfect sense to me, given that sin, during the review of their lives, causes suffering as they realize its true bearing, how they've damaged the lives of others, how they've hurt God, how they've hurt themselves, how they've lost out on heaven, and so forth.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121396
11/09/09 03:36 AM
11/09/09 03:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: “No man [shall] see me, and live.” So, you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are mere symbols. Is that what you believe?

T: I wouldn't say they are "mere symbols," but, given that the earth is God's footstool, His feet would have to be very large. Did you notice it said that Moses knew God "face to face"? Yet God didn't reveal His face to Moses, only His backside.

M: If not symbols, what are they?

T: You wrote, "mere symbols."

You didn’t answer my question.

Quote:
T: . . . given that the earth is God's footstool, His feet would have to be very large.

M: Did God refer to earth as His footstool in the context of His dialog with Moses?

T: Is it your contention that when God said that the earth is His footstool that this is a "mere symbol"? This isn't literal, but in Moses' case it was?

Yes, I believe the expression “the earth is my footstool” is symbolic. Do you? And, yes, I believe Moses literally saw God’s hand and back and literally heard Him speak. Do you?

Quote:
M: Do you think Moses literally saw God’s back?

T: Do you think God is only 6 feet tall or so? Such that His back could be revealed to Moses? What is it you think happened?

You didn’t answer my question.

Quote:
M: Do you think voice, hand, back, and face symbolize an increasing revelation and comprehension of God’s character? If not, do you think it’s literal?

T: I think the intent of the passage is to communicate spiritual truth, and that the spiritual truth being communicated has to do with character. I think the back and the face were an integral part of the Hebrew culture, that they understood clearly what Moses was saying.

I hear you saying Moses used symbolic language to describe what God said about himself, that he did not literally see God’s hand or back.

Quote:
M: If I’m hearing right, you believe we must be one with the Father to comprehend His character correctly, and this is what enables us to “bear” His character without it “consuming” us to death. “The glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.” (John 17:22) Well, what about people who don’t know the truth about God, how can His character kill them? Can a lie about God kill them?

T: The judgment reveals God's character, which makes the ugliness of their own sin apparent. Many things are being revealed. These are all intertwined. The sinfulness of the lives of the lost in its true bearing, their guilt, etc. These things I've already enumerated. I've also posted from Kevin H. and Ty Gibson who speak of the themes I mentioned in more detail.

Do you think people must first be one with God to comprehend His character correctly? If so, why do you think the wicked are capable of comprehending His character? And, why do you think it will cause them to experience the full force of their sin and guilt eventually ending in second death?

Quote:
M: When Jesus returns, the Bible says His brightness will cause the flesh of the wicked to consume away. Listen: “And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.”

T: Look at DA 108 to see what this means. We've been through this. The light of the glory of God is referring to God's character. This is made clear by the very next sentence, which speaks of Christ as the revealer of God's character. She speaks of how only the pure in heart could abide His presence.

In DA 108 what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121397
11/09/09 03:38 AM
11/09/09 03:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I believe what DA 764 says, that "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is 'alienated from the life of God.'"

M: Why do you think this insight explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

T: Why do you think I think this? Any of this? Either the premise or the conclusion? Where have I said anything about angels living while separated and cut off from God?

M:You quoted the passage above in response to the question above (I merely repeated the question). Do you think evil angels have chosen “the service of sin”? If so, do you think they have separated and cut themselves off from God? If so, do you think God continues to serve as their fountain of life? If so, what do you think it means to be separated from God and cut off from life?

Let's do one thing at a time. Let's talk about human beings. If you want to talk about angels, you can start a thread on that. I assume "The Suffering of the Lost" is dealing with human beings.

I'll say that the general principles apply to evil angels as well as human beings, and leave it at that for now, going into more detail if you want to start a new thread.

Quote:
T: Regarding your question if we can learn what will kill the wicked by studying how and why Christ died, absolutely. That's what I've been saying.

M: If, as you say, the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did, why, then, do you also believe Jesus conquered the second death and voluntarily died the first death?

T: Is this what I said? I don't see that I said this. I see the above quote saying what I said. Why from what I wrote do you conclude I said what you concluded? This question seems to be based on an assumption I'm not seeing the reason for.

M:Do you believe the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did?

I've never said this. What I've said is that Jesus Christ felt the anguish the wicked will feel in the judgment. This is what inspiration tells us. This is what I've said.

I don't know why when I've quoted from the SOP, both you and others have taken upon yourselves to reinterpret my quoting of her words into something else. That seems very odd to me.

Quote:
And, do you believe Jesus conquered the second death and voluntarily died the first death? If you answer, yes, to both questions, do you see a conflict or contradiction? If not, why not?

Again, this is going into areas I've not discussed. I don't know why.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121398
11/09/09 03:49 AM
11/09/09 03:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. On the one hand you say they are separated and cut off from the only source of life, while on the other hand you say God gives them existence. Why do you think this makes sense?

T: I didn't say this. DA 764 said this. How could anyone exist unless God gave them existence?

M:You’re not addressing my point. You believe they are separated and cut off from the only source of life.

I quoted DA 764. I assume this is what you're talking about. I don't think I've said anything beyond that.

Quote:
As you said, “What keeps them alive when they cut themselves off from life?”

This looks like a question. It sounds like I may have been asking you something, trying to clarify a question that didn't make sense to me, as opposed to my "saying" something.

I've noticed this happening on a number of occasions. You take what I write, ask some question about it, put in other words, and then when I respond to your question speak of that as if it were something I'd said. It is because of episodes like these that I've tried to be as careful as possible, asking that you quote things I've said, don't embed your questions with what I would consider false assumptions (so that I can't answer the question without tacitly approving of the assumption) and so forth.

Quote:
M: Also, do you agree each person will revisit each sin, one at a time, during judgment as if they were the only one on trial? Consider the following passage:

T: If your idea is that every single sin a person has committed will be visited, one at a time, starting from when they were an infant, and covering every moment of their lives, I don't think this is what the passage is saying. This would take many years to accomplish. She speaks of men's characters and lives passing through review. I think that's the right way of looking at it. This is very similar to what I've been saying, that each person's life will be examined, or reviewed, to the person himself.

M: Do you think they will revisit their sins, character, and life in full and complete detail as if they were the only one on trial? Or, do you think God will skip over certain sins or lump certain sins together and deal with them as one?

T: I think God will examine the person's life with them, going through the points necessary for the person to see the important points, including where they turned away from the wooing of the Holy Spirit, rejecting the voice of Christ, making choices that set their character, and so forth.

M:I hear you saying, yes, God punctuates their life focusing on epic moments overlooking the rest. There isn’t time enough to revisit each and every sin.

I don't think "overlooking the rest" is a good way to put it. Regarding the second sentence, wouldn't you agree that if a person does not know Christ, every moment of their life consists of sins? So to revisit each and every sin would require as much time as their original life. Actually more, because not only would every second have to be revisited, but each second would have to be reviewed and discussed. So it would take several lifetimes to go through, if it were done in this manner.

Quote:
M: You also believe revisiting one of the lesser sins will be sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death.

T: I don't think I've written this.

M: Do you think one of the “lesser sins” (4T 384) is sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

T: I don't think thinking of this in terms of "sin" is the right way of looking at it. It should be though of in terms of "sin." The essence of sin is selfishness. There are two laws one can just to life by. The law of life for the universe, which is self-sacrificing love, and the law of selfishness. One leads to life, and the other to death. The judgment will reveal how selfishness has ruined the character of each one who has chosen to live according to its principles.

M:Is your answer to the question, No? Do you think one sin is insufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

My answer to your question is what I wrote. Not every question is well answered in a yes/no manner. Sometimes writing out the principles involved is a better approach, which I believe is the case in this instance, and explains why I answered your question the way I did.

Quote:
T: God prevents sinners from dying prematurely, by the same means He uses now.

M: By what means does God prevent sinners from dying prematurely during judgment? Please avoid the temptation to answer this question by saying, “He prevents them from reaping the real results of sinning.”

T: You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.

M:Why do you think this observation answers my question? “By what means does God prevent sinners from dying prematurely during judgment?”

This seems obvious to me. Why do you think it doesn't?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121399
11/09/09 03:51 AM
11/09/09 03:51 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: I am talking about when Jesus was here in the flesh. Earlier on this thread you suggested the following: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them? You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

T: I've explained many times that sin ruins ones character, resulting in the problems described in places like DA 764.

If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them? You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

Quote:
M: So, you believe He will somehow control the intensity and length of time His character impacts them while they are revisiting their sins in judgment.

T: I think this is an odd way to look at this. God is not trying to kill anyone. He wants to save people. He reveals Himself for the purpose of leading them to salvation. If they harden their hearts, this leads to destruction.

During judgment He is not causing them to comprehend His character for the purpose of saving them. It appears you weren’t addressing my summary of your view.

Quote:
M: Does the following summary accurately reflect what you believe: Comprehending the character of God and experiencing the full force of sin and guilt in judgment will cause the wicked to 1) voluntarily refuse their place in heaven, and 2) cut themselves off from their only source of life (which results in second death).

T: Regarding the question you are asking here, I would say that the wicked so ruin their characters by choosing to live according to the law of selfishness, that they are unable to live in a world (i.e., a reality) which consists of unselfishness. This is what I think the passage I quoted from GC 542 is conveying.

I’m not sure if your response is a yes or no as it relates to my question.

Page 53 of 105 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!