HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,567
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 12
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (2 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 54 of 105 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121400
11/09/09 03:56 AM
11/09/09 03:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: “No man [shall] see me, and live.” So, you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are mere symbols. Is that what you believe?

T: I wouldn't say they are "mere symbols," but, given that the earth is God's footstool, His feet would have to be very large. Did you notice it said that Moses knew God "face to face"? Yet God didn't reveal His face to Moses, only His backside.

M: If not symbols, what are they?

T: You wrote, "mere symbols."

M:You didn’t answer my question.

I did. You didn't write "symbols," but "mere symbols." That is, you wrote "if not symbols, what are they?" but above you referred to "mere symbols," not "symbols."

You don't understand the difference here?

Quote:
T: . . . given that the earth is God's footstool, His feet would have to be very large.

M: Did God refer to earth as His footstool in the context of His dialog with Moses?

T: Is it your contention that when God said that the earth is His footstool that this is a "mere symbol"? This isn't literal, but in Moses' case it was?

M:Yes, I believe the expression “the earth is my footstool” is symbolic. Do you? And, yes, I believe Moses literally saw God’s hand and back and literally heard Him speak. Do you?

Do you mean God the Father? Or Jesus Christ?

Quote:
M: Do you think Moses literally saw God’s back?

T: Do you think God is only 6 feet tall or so? Such that His back could be revealed to Moses? What is it you think happened?

M:You didn’t answer my question.

You didn't answer mine. I suppose you might say, "But I asked you first," but you ask 20 or more times as many questions as I do, so I think it's reasonable for me to at times ask you to answer clarifying questions first.

Quote:
M: If I’m hearing right, you believe we must be one with the Father to comprehend His character correctly, and this is what enables us to “bear” His character without it “consuming” us to death. “The glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.” (John 17:22) Well, what about people who don’t know the truth about God, how can His character kill them? Can a lie about God kill them?

T: The judgment reveals God's character, which makes the ugliness of their own sin apparent. Many things are being revealed. These are all intertwined. The sinfulness of the lives of the lost in its true bearing, their guilt, etc. These things I've already enumerated. I've also posted from Kevin H. and Ty Gibson who speak of the themes I mentioned in more detail.

M:Do you think people must first be one with God to comprehend His character correctly?

Yes.

Quote:
M:If so, why do you think the wicked are capable of comprehending His character?

Why do you think I think this?

Quote:
And, why do you think it will cause them to experience the full force of their sin and guilt eventually ending in second death?

This has been answered several times. I've also quoted Ty Gibson to address this.

Quote:
M: When Jesus returns, the Bible says His brightness will cause the flesh of the wicked to consume away. Listen: “And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.”

T: Look at DA 108 to see what this means. We've been through this. The light of the glory of God is referring to God's character. This is made clear by the very next sentence, which speaks of Christ as the revealer of God's character. She speaks of how only the pure in heart could abide His presence.

M:In DA 108 what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

I don't understand why you're asking this question. Please make some point, and I'll respond to your point.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121401
11/09/09 03:59 AM
11/09/09 03:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: I am talking about when Jesus was here in the flesh. Earlier on this thread you suggested the following: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them? You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

T: I've explained many times that sin ruins ones character, resulting in the problems described in places like DA 764.

M:If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them?

I answered this.

Quote:
You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

I don't think this is the right way of looking at this. I addressed this in detail.

Quote:
M: So, you believe He will somehow control the intensity and length of time His character impacts them while they are revisiting their sins in judgment.

T: I think this is an odd way to look at this. God is not trying to kill anyone. He wants to save people. He reveals Himself for the purpose of leading them to salvation. If they harden their hearts, this leads to destruction.

M:During judgment He is not causing them to comprehend His character for the purpose of saving them.

God never does this. He doesn't "cause us to comprehend His character."

Quote:
It appears you weren’t addressing my summary of your view.

I don't know what you're referring to here.

Quote:
M: Does the following summary accurately reflect what you believe: Comprehending the character of God and experiencing the full force of sin and guilt in judgment will cause the wicked to 1) voluntarily refuse their place in heaven, and 2) cut themselves off from their only source of life (which results in second death).

T: Regarding the question you are asking here, I would say that the wicked so ruin their characters by choosing to live according to the law of selfishness, that they are unable to live in a world (i.e., a reality) which consists of unselfishness. This is what I think the passage I quoted from GC 542 is conveying.

M:I’m not sure if your response is a yes or no as it relates to my question.

You wrote a summary of my view. I responded by explaining how I would summarize it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121410
11/09/09 05:59 PM
11/09/09 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, your view of things is not far off from the point Rosangela agrees with. You wrote, “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) I realize you divorce the radiant light of God’s person and presence from the equation, nevertheless, you admit God is able to dampen (temper, moderate, minimize) the revelation and comprehension of His character and tailor it so that the wicked do not die prematurely.

T: I think you've concluded some things I haven't intended to communicate. I'm sorry if I've had any hand in this. I've tried to stay as close to inspiration as possible, and would like to continue to do so. I think DA 764 explains that destruction of the wicked very clearly, and agree with what it says. I don't see any way to make that fit with some of the ideas you appear to have, especially the radiant firelight idea.

Do you wish to withdraw your observations above? Or, do you still think they are valid? Also, what do you think destroys the wicked? Do you agree with the point Rosangela agrees with?

Quote:
1. “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed . . . all behold the enormity of their guilt.”
2. “They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . .”
3. “The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah . . . Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”
4. “Fire comes down from God out of heaven.”
5. “The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.”
6. “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished according to their deeds.”
7. “In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed.”

M: But another point remains – Chronologically, according to the GC account (reposted below), the wicked do not suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness until after they complete revisiting their sins in the presence of God. They are very much alive afterward. It is not until God rains down fire from above and raises fire up from below that they begin to be punished and destroyed according to their words and deeds.

T: Regarding the chronology, I've mentioned that there appears to me to be a doubling back in the paragraph discussing the proportional suffering of the wicked. Regarding their death, there seems to be a number of possibilities, which I don't wish to go into. The only point in regards to the death of the wicked that I feel strongly about is that they won't be burned alive for many hours or many days.

That the suffering of the wicked is proportional to their sin makes perfect sense to me, given that sin, during the review of their lives, causes suffering as they realize its true bearing, how they've damaged the lives of others, how they've hurt God, how they've hurt themselves, how they've lost out on heaven, and so forth.

At what point in the GC account do you think she doubles back (referring specifically to the 7 point chronology above). Do you think they will be burned alive for a few seconds? And, why do you think sin-hardened men and angels are capable of the emotional agony you described above? Nowhere in the 7 point chronology is such an experience described. Satan goes down kicking not crying.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121412
11/09/09 06:40 PM
11/09/09 06:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: I believe what DA 764 says, that "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is 'alienated from the life of God.'"

M: Why do you think this insight explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

T: Why do you think I think this? Any of this? Either the premise or the conclusion? Where have I said anything about angels living while separated and cut off from God?

M: You quoted the passage above in response to the question above (I merely repeated the question). Do you think evil angels have chosen “the service of sin”? If so, do you think they have separated and cut themselves off from God? If so, do you think God continues to serve as their fountain of life? If so, what do you think it means to be separated from God and cut off from life?

T: Let's do one thing at a time. Let's talk about human beings. If you want to talk about angels, you can start a thread on that. I assume "The Suffering of the Lost" is dealing with human beings. I'll say that the general principles apply to evil angels as well as human beings, and leave it at that for now, going into more detail if you want to start a new thread.

If you wish to discuss the final demise of evil angels separately, then it would make more sense if you didn’t cite passages which describe the final demise of both men and angels. I’m referring specifically to DA 764: “By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1} Why should we discuss them separately if Ellen didn’t?

Quote:
M: Do you believe the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did?

T: I've never said this. What I've said is that Jesus Christ felt the anguish the wicked will feel in the judgment. This is what inspiration tells us. This is what I've said. I don't know why when I've quoted from the SOP, both you and others have taken upon yourselves to reinterpret my quoting of her words into something else. That seems very odd to me.

So, is your answer to the question, No?

Quote:
M: Do you believe the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did? And, do you believe Jesus conquered the second death and voluntarily died the first death? If you answer, yes, to both questions, do you see a conflict or contradiction? If not, why not?

T: Again, this is going into areas I've not discussed. I don't know why.

I’m bringing it up for discussion. Do you not have an opinion or observation?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121415
11/09/09 07:26 PM
11/09/09 07:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. On the one hand you say they are separated and cut off from the only source of life, while on the other hand you say God gives them existence. Why do you think this makes sense?

T: I quoted DA 764. I assume this is what you're talking about. I don't think I've said anything beyond that.

She makes all three comments in the same paragraph. The question is – How can they be true at the same time? How can they be separated from God, cut off from the source of life, and have existence all at the same time?

Quote:
M: As you said, “What keeps them alive when they cut themselves off from life?”

T: This looks like a question. It sounds like I may have been asking you something, trying to clarify a question that didn't make sense to me, as opposed to my "saying" something. I've noticed this happening on a number of occasions. You take what I write, ask some question about it, put in other words, and then when I respond to your question speak of that as if it were something I'd said. It is because of episodes like these that I've tried to be as careful as possible, asking that you quote things I've said, don't embed your questions with what I would consider false assumptions (so that I can't answer the question without tacitly approving of the assumption) and so forth.

Do you disagree with the question? Do you think it contains false premises? If so, please explain why.

Quote:
M:I hear you saying, yes, God punctuates their life focusing on epic moments overlooking the rest. There isn’t time enough to revisit each and every sin.

T: I don't think "overlooking the rest" is a good way to put it. Regarding the second sentence, wouldn't you agree that if a person does not know Christ, every moment of their life consists of sins? So to revisit each and every sin would require as much time as their original life. Actually more, because not only would every second have to be revisited, but each second would have to be reviewed and discussed. So it would take several lifetimes to go through, if it were done in this manner.

How would word the concept “overlooking the rest” to reflect what you believe? No, I don’t think people who know not Jesus sin every moment of their life. Also, are you absolutely certain God has no means or methods of enabling people to revisit their sins without it taking several lifetimes to complete?

Quote:
M: Do you think one of the “lesser sins” (4T 384) is sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

T: I don't think thinking of this in terms of "sin" is the right way of looking at it. It should be though of in terms of "sin." The essence of sin is selfishness. There are two laws one can just to life by. The law of life for the universe, which is self-sacrificing love, and the law of selfishness. One leads to life, and the other to death. The judgment will reveal how selfishness has ruined the character of each one who has chosen to live according to its principles.

M: Is your answer to the question, No? Do you think one sin is insufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

T: My answer to your question is what I wrote. Not every question is well answered in a yes/no manner. Sometimes writing out the principles involved is a better approach, which I believe is the case in this instance, and explains why I answered your question the way I did.

Your answer didn’t address my question, at least not in a way I can conclude what you believe. In fact, your answer resembled – No. You seem to be saying individual sins are not revisited, that they are lumped together and treated as one. But the passages I posted clearly say “every” thought, word, and deed will be closely investigated. You seem to think the repeated use of the word “every” in the following passages mean individual sins are consolidated and treated as one or grouped together and treated collectively:

Quote:
There is a record also of the sins of men. "For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Says the Saviour: "By thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." {GC 481.2}

As the books of record are opened in the judgment, the lives of all who have believed on Jesus come in review before God. Beginning with those who first lived upon the earth, our Advocate presents the cases of each successive generation, and closes with the living. Every name is mentioned, every case closely investigated. Names are accepted, names rejected. {GC 483.1}

Though all nations are to pass in judgment before God, yet He will examine the case of each individual with as close and searching scrutiny as if there were not another being upon the earth. Everyone must be tested and found without spot or wrinkle or any such thing. {GC 489.3}

Every man's work passes in review before God and is registered for faithfulness or unfaithfulness. Opposite each name in the books of heaven is entered with terrible exactness every wrong word, every selfish act, every unfulfilled duty, and every secret sin, with every artful dissembling. {GC 482.1}

Thus was presented to the prophet's vision the great and solemn day when the characters and the lives of men should pass in review before the Judge of all the earth, and to every man should be rendered "according to his works." {GC 479.2}

I cannot understand why you think these passages mean something other than the fact each sin of each person will be revisited in judgment.

Quote:
T: You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.

M: Why do you think this observation answers my question? “By what means does God prevent sinners from dying prematurely during judgment?”

T: This seems obvious to me. Why do you think it doesn't?

You cited me as a reference. I do not believe revisiting their sins will cause them to die. I also believe God prevents FMAs from dying prematurely by veiling the radiant firelight of His person and presence. Are you sure you agree with me?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121416
11/09/09 07:47 PM
11/09/09 07:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: “No man [shall] see me, and live.” So, you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are mere symbols. Is that what you believe?

T: I wouldn't say they are "mere symbols," but, given that the earth is God's footstool, His feet would have to be very large. Did you notice it said that Moses knew God "face to face"? Yet God didn't reveal His face to Moses, only His backside.

M: You didn’t answer my question.

T: I did. You didn't write "symbols," but "mere symbols." That is, you wrote "if not symbols, what are they?" but above you referred to "mere symbols," not "symbols." You don't understand the difference here?

Do you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are symbols? If so, what do they symbolize?

Quote:
T: Is it your contention that when God said that the earth is His footstool that this is a "mere symbol"? This isn't literal, but in Moses' case it was?

M: Yes, I believe the expression “the earth is my footstool” is symbolic. Do you? And, yes, I believe Moses literally saw God’s hand and back and literally heard Him speak. Do you?

T: Do you mean God the Father? Or Jesus Christ?

The Father communicated to Moses through the Son. So, do you agree with both points?

Quote:
M: Do you think Moses literally saw God’s back?

T: Do you think God is only 6 feet tall or so? Such that His back could be revealed to Moses? What is it you think happened?

You didn't answer mine. I suppose you might say, "But I asked you first," but you ask 20 or more times as many questions as I do, so I think it's reasonable for me to at times ask you to answer clarifying questions first.

I don’t know how tall Jesus was when He showed His hand and back to Moses. He may have been slightly taller than Adam.

Quote:
M: Do you think people must first be one with God to comprehend His character correctly?

T: Yes.

M: If so, why do you think the wicked are capable of comprehending His character?

T: Why do you think I think this?

Do you think God will fully reveal His character during judgment? Do you think the wicked are capable of comprehending His character? And, do you think it is necessary to suffer and die? Do you think it will cause them to experience the full force of their sin and guilt eventually ending in second death?

Quote:
M: In DA 108 what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

T: I don't understand why you're asking this question. Please make some point, and I'll respond to your point.

You believe DA 108 (posted below) proves the character of God will cause the wicked to suffer and die. It would be nice to know if you believe the two words mean the same thing in the context of judgment.

“At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121417
11/09/09 07:58 PM
11/09/09 07:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I am talking about when Jesus was here in the flesh. Earlier on this thread you suggested the following: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them? You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

T: I've explained many times that sin ruins ones character, resulting in the problems described in places like DA 764.

M: If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them? You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

T: I don't think this is the right way of looking at this. I addressed this in detail.

Do you disagree with what you wrote above? Here it is again: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989)

Quote:
M: So, you believe He will somehow control the intensity and length of time His character impacts them while they are revisiting their sins in judgment.

T: I think this is an odd way to look at this. God is not trying to kill anyone. He wants to save people. He reveals Himself for the purpose of leading them to salvation. If they harden their hearts, this leads to destruction.

M: During judgment He is not causing them to comprehend His character for the purpose of saving them. It appears you weren’t addressing my summary of your view.

T: God never does this. He doesn't "cause us to comprehend His character."

Do you think comprehending the character of God in judgment is possible and necessary?

Quote:
M: It appears you weren’t addressing my summary of your view.

T: I don't know what you're referring to here.

I’m referring to what I posted above: “So, you believe He will somehow control the intensity and length of time His character impacts them while they are revisiting their sins in judgment.” Is this what you believe? If not, please explain.

Quote:
M: Does the following summary accurately reflect what you believe: Comprehending the character of God and experiencing the full force of sin and guilt in judgment will cause the wicked to 1) voluntarily refuse their place in heaven, and 2) cut themselves off from their only source of life (which results in second death).

T: Regarding the question you are asking here, I would say that the wicked so ruin their characters by choosing to live according to the law of selfishness, that they are unable to live in a world (i.e., a reality) which consists of unselfishness. This is what I think the passage I quoted from GC 542 is conveying.

M: I’m not sure if your response is a yes or no as it relates to my question.

T: You wrote a summary of my view. I responded by explaining how I would summarize it.

Do you disagree with the summary I posted? If so, please explain why.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121422
11/09/09 11:58 PM
11/09/09 11:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

M: If, as you say, Jesus was a full revelation of God, why, then, didn’t His character kill them? You suggested it may not have lasted long enough or have been intense enough to kill them. How did He accomplish these things?

T: I don't think this is the right way of looking at this. I addressed this in detail.

M:Do you disagree with what you wrote above? Here it is again: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989)

I was responding to a question you asked. This isn't the way I think of this. A better answer on my part would have been to point out that this is in, IMO, an odd way of thinking about this.

Of my own initiative, I would not put things this way.

Quote:

M: During judgment He is not causing them to comprehend His character for the purpose of saving them. It appears you weren’t addressing my summary of your view.

T: God never does this. He doesn't "cause us to comprehend His character."

M:Do you think comprehending the character of God in judgment is possible and necessary?

If I said that one needs to know God to comprehend His character, which you are aware of. So I'm not understanding your question here. Are you speaking of the lost? If so, they don't know God, right? So I would have already answered this by my former comment.

Quote:

M: I’m not sure if your response is a yes or no as it relates to my question.

T: You wrote a summary of my view. I responded by explaining how I would summarize it.

M:Do you disagree with the summary I posted? If so, please explain why.

The way I put it makes is clear that the problem is with the choices the wicked themselves have made. Your summary doesn't seem to make this point. Also your summary speaks of comprehending God's character, which mine doesn't. It terms of 1) and 2), if put in terms of their own choice being the problem, I think those could be OK.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121425
11/10/09 01:44 AM
11/10/09 01:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom, your view of things is not far off from the point Rosangela agrees with. You wrote, “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) I realize you divorce the radiant light of God’s person and presence from the equation, nevertheless, you admit God is able to dampen (temper, moderate, minimize) the revelation and comprehension of His character and tailor it so that the wicked do not die prematurely.

T: I think you've concluded some things I haven't intended to communicate. I'm sorry if I've had any hand in this. I've tried to stay as close to inspiration as possible, and would like to continue to do so. I think DA 764 explains that destruction of the wicked very clearly, and agree with what it says. I don't see any way to make that fit with some of the ideas you appear to have, especially the radiant firelight idea.

M:Do you wish to withdraw your observations above? Or, do you still think they are valid?

This is too vague for me to comment on.

Quote:
Also, what do you think destroys the wicked?

Their death is the inevitable result of their sin. Wherever there is sin, suffering and death are inevitable.

Quote:
Do you agree with the point Rosangela agrees with?

This is vague too. I looked on this page for something by Rosangela, and didn't see anything. I didn't comment on what she wrote?

Quote:
M:At what point in the GC account do you think she doubles back (referring specifically to the 7 point chronology above).

The point I mentioned. I think the proportionate suffering is a direct result of their sin, not how long they are burned for.

Quote:
Do you think they will be burned alive for a few seconds? And, why do you think sin-hardened men and angels are capable of the emotional agony you described above? Nowhere in the 7 point chronology is such an experience described. Satan goes down kicking not crying.

I've already answered these questions. Regarding the emotional agony not being mentioned in the 7 point chronology, this isn't the only passage to consider. I think Kevin H's post, especially part 2, was excellent in regards to this.

Quote:
M:If you wish to discuss the final demise of evil angels separately, then it would make more sense if you didn’t cite passages which describe the final demise of both men and angels.

This doesn't make sense to me. We're talking about the suffering of the lost, which are human beings. The passages which discuss the judgment mention both. That has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
I’m referring specifically to DA 764: “By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1} Why should we discuss them separately if Ellen didn’t?

???

Quote:
M: Do you believe the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did?

T: I've never said this. What I've said is that Jesus Christ felt the anguish the wicked will feel in the judgment. This is what inspiration tells us. This is what I've said. I don't know why when I've quoted from the SOP, both you and others have taken upon yourselves to reinterpret my quoting of her words into something else. That seems very odd to me.

M:So, is your answer to the question, No?

Why are you asking this? You didn't address what I wrote.

Quote:
M: Do you believe the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did? And, do you believe Jesus conquered the second death and voluntarily died the first death? If you answer, yes, to both questions, do you see a conflict or contradiction? If not, why not?

T: Again, this is going into areas I've not discussed. I don't know why.

M:I’m bringing it up for discussion. Do you not have an opinion or observation?

I think your question is too vague. Obviously there are differences. For example, the wicked won't be crucified; that's a different in "way." Christ was killed because He was hated. That's a difference, if you're thinking of the motivations of those who caused His death. If you're thinking of His experiencing the second death, we're told that He suffered the death that was ours that we might live the life that was His, so that looks to be equating His second death experience to what ours would have been had He not died for us. There are a few quick thoughts.

Quote:
M: What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. On the one hand you say they are separated and cut off from the only source of life, while on the other hand you say God gives them existence. Why do you think this makes sense?

T: I quoted DA 764. I assume this is what you're talking about. I don't think I've said anything beyond that.

M:She makes all three comments in the same paragraph. The question is – How can they be true at the same time? How can they be separated from God, cut off from the source of life, and have existence all at the same time?

I think how they can all be true is something we need to think about. I've spent a lot of time doing so, and have shared my thoughts regarding this, in the detailed posts I've written on the subject.

Quote:
M: As you said, “What keeps them alive when they cut themselves off from life?”

T: This looks like a question. It sounds like I may have been asking you something, trying to clarify a question that didn't make sense to me, as opposed to my "saying" something. I've noticed this happening on a number of occasions. You take what I write, ask some question about it, put in other words, and then when I respond to your question speak of that as if it were something I'd said. It is because of episodes like these that I've tried to be as careful as possible, asking that you quote things I've said, don't embed your questions with what I would consider false assumptions (so that I can't answer the question without tacitly approving of the assumption) and so forth.

M:Do you disagree with the question? Do you think it contains false premises? If so, please explain why.

It seems to contain an obvious false premise.

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.(DA 764)

If they've cut themselves off from life, how can they be alive, as your question supposes?

Quote:
M:I hear you saying, yes, God punctuates their life focusing on epic moments overlooking the rest. There isn’t time enough to revisit each and every sin.

T: I don't think "overlooking the rest" is a good way to put it. Regarding the second sentence, wouldn't you agree that if a person does not know Christ, every moment of their life consists of sins? So to revisit each and every sin would require as much time as their original life. Actually more, because not only would every second have to be revisited, but each second would have to be reviewed and discussed. So it would take several lifetimes to go through, if it were done in this manner.

M:How would word the concept “overlooking the rest” to reflect what you believe?

The way I did when I posted before.

Quote:
No, I don’t think people who know not Jesus sin every moment of their life.

This seems different to me than what you have written before. It seems to me you thought one was sinning continuously until one is born again.

Is it your idea that God skips from sin to sin in the judgment of the wicked, skipping over everything else?

Quote:
Also, are you absolutely certain God has no means or methods of enabling people to revisit their sins without it taking several lifetimes to complete?

This question doesn't make sense to me. Why would you even think I consider this as a possibility, let along be certain of it?

Quote:
M: Do you think one of the “lesser sins” (4T 384) is sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

T: I don't think thinking of this in terms of "sin" is the right way of looking at it. It should be though of in terms of "sin." The essence of sin is selfishness. There are two laws one can just to life by. The law of life for the universe, which is self-sacrificing love, and the law of selfishness. One leads to life, and the other to death. The judgment will reveal how selfishness has ruined the character of each one who has chosen to live according to its principles.

M: Is your answer to the question, No? Do you think one sin is insufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

T: My answer to your question is what I wrote. Not every question is well answered in a yes/no manner. Sometimes writing out the principles involved is a better approach, which I believe is the case in this instance, and explains why I answered your question the way I did.

M:Your answer didn’t address my question, at least not in a way I can conclude what you believe.

What I believe is that your question isn't the right way of looking at it. I explained that, and explained what I think the right way of looking at it is.

Quote:
In fact, your answer resembled – No. You seem to be saying individual sins are not revisited, that they are lumped together and treated as one.

No, I didn't say this.

Quote:
But the passages I posted clearly say “every” thought, word, and deed will be closely investigated.

Does it say each one will be investigated by the wicked? The passages seem to me to be saying that their cases will be thoroughly investigated by God.

Quote:
You seem to think the repeated use of the word “every” in the following passages mean individual sins are consolidated and treated as one or grouped together and treated collectively:

No.

Quote:
M:I cannot understand why you think these passages mean something other than the fact each sin of each person will be revisited in judgment.

These don't seem to me to be speaking of the wicked's activities, but God's.

Quote:
T: You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.

M: Why do you think this observation answers my question? “By what means does God prevent sinners from dying prematurely during judgment?”

T: This seems obvious to me. Why do you think it doesn't?

M:You cited me as a reference. I do not believe revisiting their sins will cause them to die. I also believe God prevents FMAs from dying prematurely by veiling the radiant firelight of His person and presence. Are you sure you agree with me?

I'm not following you.

Quote:

T: I did. You didn't write "symbols," but "mere symbols." That is, you wrote "if not symbols, what are they?" but above you referred to "mere symbols," not "symbols." You don't understand the difference here?

M:Do you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are symbols? If so, what do they symbolize?

These were rich in meaning for those who lived in an Eastern culture. They still are. I'll put it that way. Regarding what these things signified, this is easily discovered online.

The important thing that was happening was the revelation of God's character. I hope you see that.

Quote:

M: Yes, I believe the expression “the earth is my footstool” is symbolic. Do you? And, yes, I believe Moses literally saw God’s hand and back and literally heard Him speak. Do you?

T: Do you mean God the Father? Or Jesus Christ?

M:The Father communicated to Moses through the Son. So, do you agree with both points?

Ok, so you're asking if Jesus Christ revealed His back to Moses? Regarding if it was Christ who spoke to Moses, yes, I agree.

Quote:
M: Do you think people must first be one with God to comprehend His character correctly?

T: Yes.

M: If so, why do you think the wicked are capable of comprehending His character?

T: Why do you think I think this?

M:Do you think God will fully reveal His character during judgment?

I think God will reveal His character during the judgment. I think that the primary purpose of the judgment is the vindication of His character and government.

Quote:
Do you think the wicked are capable of comprehending His character?

I've answered this.

Quote:
And, do you think it is necessary to suffer and die?

I've answered this.

Quote:
Do you think it will cause them to experience the full force of their sin and guilt eventually ending in second death?

I've expressed what I think in my own words. If you mean the same thing by your words as I meant by mine, then I do. I've also quoted Ty Gibson regarding this.

Quote:
M: In DA 108 what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

T: I don't understand why you're asking this question. Please make some point, and I'll respond to your point.

You believe DA 108 (posted below) proves the character of God will cause the wicked to suffer and die. It would be nice to know if you believe the two words mean the same thing in the context of judgment.

“At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

You're asking if the statement, “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming" is talking about two different things? Or one thing? Is this the question?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121436
11/10/09 03:55 PM
11/10/09 03:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Do you disagree with what you wrote above? Here it is again: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989)

T: I was responding to a question you asked. This isn't the way I think of this. A better answer on my part would have been to point out that this is in, IMO, an odd way of thinking about this. Of my own initiative, I would not put things this way.

Do you disagree with what you wrote above? Do you think you inadvertently wrote something you believe is false or erroneous? Or, have you simply changed your mind and you no longer believe it?

Quote:
T: God doesn't "cause us to comprehend His character."

M: Do you think comprehending the character of God in judgment is possible and necessary?

T: If I said that one needs to know God to comprehend His character, which you are aware of. So I'm not understanding your question here. Are you speaking of the lost? If so, they don't know God, right? So I would have already answered this by my former comment.

Tom, please be patient with me. Don’t expect too much from me. I’m not the swiftest swallow in the sky. I need you to spell it out clearly. I’m not very good at piecing together your ideas and formulating correct conclusions. This is painfully obvious.

Yes, I am speaking of sinners revisiting their sins during judgment. If they are incapable of comprehending the character of God, what purpose will it serve for God to fully reveal His character to them? Why do you think His character will cause them to suffer and die? How could it have that kind of spiritual affect?

Quote:
M: Does the following summary accurately reflect what you believe: Comprehending the character of God and experiencing the full force of sin and guilt in judgment will cause the wicked to 1) voluntarily refuse their place in heaven, and 2) cut themselves off from their only source of life (which results in second death). Do you disagree with the summary I posted? If so, please explain why.

T: The way I put it makes is clear that the problem is with the choices the wicked themselves have made. Your summary doesn't seem to make this point. Also your summary speaks of comprehending God's character, which mine doesn't. It terms of 1) and 2), if put in terms of their own choice being the problem, I think those could be OK.

So, do you believe the full revelation of God’s character contributes in any way to their suffering and second death? If so, please explain how and why. That is, explain why you think they are capable of suffering spiritually and dying physically when God reveals His character during judgment.

Also, do you think experiencing the full force of sin and guilt during judgment will result in the wicked 1) choosing to refuse their place in heaven, 2) choosing to separate themselves from God, 3) choosing to cut themselves off from their only source of life, and that 4) these choices result in them dying second death?

Page 54 of 105 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!