HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,198
Posts195,591
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, TruthinTypes, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 79 of 105 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122722
01/08/10 11:30 AM
01/08/10 11:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GC
A. GOD'S ATTRIBUTES
1) Do you believe that God lies?
2) Do you believe that Moses lied to us in what he wrote?
3) Do you believe that God told us He is a "consuming fire"?
4) Do you believe it was God who appeared as fire at Pentecost?
5) Is fire really, truly, NOT an attribute of God?

1-3 are rhetorical.

Regarding 4, God manifested Himself as a fire.

Regarding 5, here's the definition of attribute:

Quote:
1 : an inherent characteristic; also : an accidental quality
2 : an object closely associated with or belonging to a specific person, thing, or office <a scepter is the attribute of power>; especially : such an object used for identification in painting or sculpture
3 : a word ascribing a quality; especially

What specifically do you have in mind?

IMO it would be more accurate to say that God has fire-like qualities than to say that fire is an attribute of God. I would say things like honesty, faithfulness, and righteousness are attributes of God.

Quote:
B. CAUSE OF NADAB AND ABIHU'S DEMISE
1. Do you still believe literal fire killed Nadab and Abihu?
2. Do you still believe it was the common fire from their censers by which they "committed suicide?"
3. Do you truly reject God's Word which says He kindled the flame from His Presence?

You may open a topic on this if you wish to discuss it. I'm not saying I'll participate, but it's possible. kland also might have some observations.

Please don't attack me personally.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122723
01/08/10 11:34 AM
01/08/10 11:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GC
Whereas before, you stated agreement with Ellen White in that God will impart life and death through the same fire of His glory, you now deny it with great persuasion and logic.

I don't understand what you're thinking here. I've always agreed with Ellen White's statement. I'm not arguing against it now, nor have I ever.

To be clear, here's the statement:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

I've said the light of the glory of God is the revelation of the character of God, and that the context makes this clear. I've said this all along, and still say it. I've said this can't be literal fire because literal fire does not give life to the righteous.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122724
01/08/10 11:41 AM
01/08/10 11:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It seems to me we've digressed a bit from the topic at hand, which is the suffering the lost experience when they are resurrected in the second resurrection. My main argument has been against the idea that God causes the wicked to suffer by setting them on fire, like a torch, and acting supernaturally to prevent them dying until hours or days have passed. It would also be necessary for God to act supernaturally to enable them to suffer for more than a few seconds, since the fire would destroy the nerve endings which perceive pain. I believe this portrays God's character in a horrendous way.

The SOP tells us that suffering and death are inevitable where there is sin. This points to sin as the cause of suffering and death. There are many statements of hers where she speaks of sin and Satan as doing things which cause suffering and death to humans, and speak of Satan's activity in trying to present God as the origin of these things. For example:

Quote:
Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin.(DA 471)

There is an important principle involved here, which is how we view God, and His activities, will be vastly different depending upon whether we see Him as warning us as to what He will do to us if we don't do as He says as opposed to trying to rescue us from the inevitable consequences of rejecting the paths of agape. How can we not fear someone who is capable and willing of setting us on fire for days if we don't do what He says? How can this idea not adversely impact our relationship with God?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122725
01/08/10 12:51 PM
01/08/10 12:51 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Yes Green Cochoa, please don't attack Tom personally. If you cannot refrain from derisive comments, please have the integrity to post using you real identity. If Tom, Daryl, asygo, Mike, Mark, Colin Standish et al. can stand behind their words, you can do the same. It's disheartening to see such tactics and cutting sarcasm coming from a missionary. Please remember that all our words are recorded in Heaven. The Gospel is not a debate or an inquisition.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: gordonb1] #122727
01/08/10 01:42 PM
01/08/10 01:42 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Thank you for your kind rebuke, Gordon. I apologize for speaking rashly.

God bless,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122768
01/09/10 01:49 AM
01/09/10 01:49 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I'm sure there are other possible explanations which do not require the creation of quail.

I'm sure there are. But the existence of alternative explanations does not negate the possibility GC proposed. You'll have to come up with better reasons if you want to refute GC's theory.

Again, the question suggests itself, that GC himself raised, if the quail were created by God, why would the people get sick from eating it?

There are several possible reasons, our lack of knowledge or imaginations notwithstanding.

God made the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, I'm sure we all agree. When Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they became fatally sick.

The saying, "God made dirt, so dirt don't hurt" is logically flawed.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122771
01/09/10 02:18 AM
01/09/10 02:18 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
But this highlights one of my bigger concerns about your hermeneutic: You reject things based on what you do not know.

This is a baseless accusation. Of everyone who posts regularly on this forum, my viewpoints have been the most open to change, at least based on the evidence of those posting. To state this another way, my viewpoints have changed the most over the 5 or 6 years compared to other people who have been posting here. I wouldn't have changed my positions had I did as you are suggesting, rejecting things based on what I did not know. If I did as you are suggesting, I'd have simply kept the viewpoints I had.

I didn't say you always do it. But you do it.

You rejected GC's belief without even asking him why he believed it. And so far, you have not shown why his theory cannot be true; all you can show is that there are other theories. You and I both know that is not sufficient.

More importantly is your contention that God does not command us to do things for which we see no reason. In short, you will reject God's command if you don't know why He is commanding it.

The salient point is not that you don't change your mind. The issue is that you base your obedience on human understanding rather than strict submission to the divine will. IOW, you will change your mind, but only if it makes sense to you, as opposed to because God says so. That's the real danger.

The following comes to mind:

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense.(3SM 217)

I'll admit to rejecting things on this basis.

You left out the rest of it:

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. Circumstances alter conditions. Circumstances change the relation of things. {3SM 217.2}

That's another of your hermeneutical flaws: Unwarranted universal application of correct principles. I think I mentioned that.

What I mean is that you apply principles in places where they don't necessarily apply. You say you are using common sense to reject the idea that God created those quails. Is it really common sense to think that the quails were at sea, and the wind got them while flying around out there?

Common sense dictates that if Scripture says, "And there went forth a wind from the LORD, and brought quails from the sea" that the likely explanation is that the quails already existed.

What is likely is not necessarily true. I'm sure you can think of examples.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122773
01/09/10 02:52 AM
01/09/10 02:52 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You can find inspired commentary that illuminates Saul and David, where there is evidence that this principle is in play. But you apply the principle in places where there is no inspired commentary saying that you should. For example, the Bible/SOP are consistent that God destroys the wicked. Yet, you say that God does not destroy.

I don't understand how this topic migrated here. I'll make a few comment, but if you want to discuss this in more detail, please start a topic. This topic is regarding the suffering of the lost in the second resurrection.

I thought you were there one who brought up Saul and David.

Anyway, the principle is question is this: Since we know that the Bible sometimes describes God's allowing something as God doing it, are we free to apply that anywhere we think it applies?

Briefly, when one speaks of God's destroying the wicked, the question is, how does God destroy? ...

God destroys by permitting destruction to occur. There are a thousand dangers, all unseen, from which God protects us.

I assume you believe Satan will be destroyed in this manner - essentially, God doesn't destroy him, but merely allows "destruction to occur" from one or more of the thousand unseen dangers.

I also assume you believe that had Satan failed to tempt anyone else to sin, and is the only sinner, his destruction would still be as certain, and happen also by God's removing His protection.

What this means is that the universe God created is inherently dangerous, and we can survive only by His protection from the dangers He created. If, for whatever reason, God removes His protection, unseen dangers will destroy us, without any participation from God at all.

It seems to me that creating poisonous quails are trivial in comparison to creating a poisonous universe from which we require constant protection.

Where in all the recorded history of Jesus on earth did He ever make something that was harmful unless he protected people from it?

There are a number of problems with the idea that God is the One actively doing the destruction.

1.This is just what Satan does.
2.This is what Satan seeks to present God as doing, when it is actually he who is doing this.
3.To act so is contrary to God's character, as evidenced by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
4.Force and compelling power are not to be found in God's government, but only in the government of the enemy.
5.Destruction was invented by Satan. It is the fruit of sin. God would be implementing the tools of the enemy were He to do so.
6.It is completely unnecessary for God to take destruction into His own hands because He is protecting us from a thousand dangers, which are able to do the destruction themselves.

1. Satan wants us to worship him. Does that mean that God cannot do the same? Since Satan wants to be "like the Most High" it should not be surprising if he copies some things.

2. Like the bad things that happened to Korah and his friends? Satan was really the one who did it, even though Moses and EGW said God did it? You are falling into the same trap as the Ancient Israelites.

3. Are you sure you know God's character well enough to be able to reliably say what He will or will not do? Holy saints have been known to say "His ways are past finding out." Yet, you found out? To use the "did Jesus ever do that" line is another example of the unwarranted universal application problem. Jesus never slayed the wicked, but He will when the time comes. There are new things yet to be revealed.

4. I never saw your answer to a question I asked long ago: Was Satan forced out of heaven, or did he fly out of there willingly?

5. The earth will be destroyed by fire and made new. Satan is responsible for this destruction? I don't think so. It is more accurate to say that Satan was the first to make himself subject to destruction.

6. Was the fire which destroyed Korah's friends, the fire that came from the cloud, one of these thousand dangers? When God told Moses that anyone going up Sinai while He was there should be stoned or shot with arrows, were these unseen stones and arrows which were just going to start flying around on their own?

While the principle you hold is sometimes applicable, it is not universally applicable.

Sin does not destroy itself. God destroys sin.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122774
01/09/10 03:10 AM
01/09/10 03:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I didn't say you always do it. But you do it.

You rejected GC's belief without even asking him why he believed it.

That God created the quails to feed the Israelites? Why do you think I should have asked him about this?

Quote:
And so far, you have not shown why his theory cannot be true; all you can show is that there are other theories. You and I both know that is not sufficient.

As I said, one could say that God specially created Peter, or the donkey upon which Jesus rode, or anything else. How could something like this be shown not to be true?

Quote:
More importantly is your contention that God does not command us to do things for which we see no reason. In short, you will reject God's command if you don't know why He is commanding it.

I've cited the following several times:

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. (3SM 217)

Here are some others:

Quote:
God gives sufficient evidence to every soul. He does not promise to remove every doubt, but He gives a reason for faith. And sufficient evidence was given to the Jews." Review and Herald, January 24, 1899

Quote:
Here is a test which all may apply if they will. None need be left in uncertainty and doubt. There is always sufficient evidence upon which to base an intelligent faith.(Signs of the Times, December 30, 1886)

Quote:
I am afraid of anything that would have a tendency to turn the mind away from the solid evidences of the truth as revealed in God’s Word. I am afraid of it; I am afraid of it. We must bring our minds within the bounds of reason, lest the enemy so come in as to set everything in a disorderly way. There are persons of an excitable temperament who are easily led into fanaticism; and should we allow anything to come into our churches that would lead such persons into error, we would soon see these errors carried to extreme lengths, and then because of the course of these disorderly elements, a stigma would rest upon the whole body of Seventh-day Adventists. . .

"During the years of Christ’s ministry on earth, . . . The truth was proclaimed intelligently, and so plainly that all could understand. . . Now I am afraid to have anything of a fanatical nature brought in among our people. There are many, many who must be sanctified, but they are to be sanctified through obedience to the message of truth. I am writing on this subject today. In this message there is a beautiful consistency that appeals to the judgment. We cannot allow excitable elements among us to display themselves in a way that would destroy our influence with those whom we wish to reach with the truth. (3 SM 373)

It seems to me clear that these statements are contradicting the idea that God would have us believe things without having a reason to do so. He gives us evidence for everything He would have us do or believe.

This attribute of God lies at the heart of His character. He wants us to have an intelligent faith, based on evidence and reason. That's the kind of God He is.

Quote:
The salient point is not that you don't change your mind. The issue is that you base your obedience on human understanding rather than strict submission to the divine will. IOW, you will change your mind, but only if it makes sense to you, as opposed to because God says so. That's the real danger.

I disagree. I think this concept of God's character is in error, and, to use your word, dangerous. Any faith not based on reason or evidence is dangerous. God always gives us a reason, and evidence, for that which He would have us believe or do. It says undesirable things about His character to suppose otherwise.

An insight into this aspect of God's character is presented here:

Quote:
After His resurrection Jesus appeared to His disciples on the way to Emmaus, and, "beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself." Luke 24:27. The hearts of the disciples were stirred. Faith was kindled. They were "begotten again into a lively hope" even before Jesus revealed Himself to them. It was His purpose to enlighten their understanding and to fasten their faith upon the "sure word of prophecy." He wished the truth to take firm root in their minds, not merely because it was supported by His personal testimony, but because of the unquestionable evidence presented by the symbols and shadows of the typical law, and by the prophecies of the Old Testament. It was needful for the followers of Christ to have an intelligent faith, not only in their own behalf, but that they might carry the knowledge of Christ to the world. And as the very first step in imparting this knowledge, Jesus directed the disciples to "Moses and all the prophets." Such was the testimony given by the risen Saviour to the value and importance of the Old Testament Scriptures.(GC 349)

God is pleased to have us consider evidence, to have an intelligent faith, to use our reason in His worship.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122775
01/09/10 03:15 AM
01/09/10 03:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I'm sure there are other possible explanations which do not require the creation of quail.

a:I'm sure there are. But the existence of alternative explanations does not negate the possibility GC proposed. You'll have to come up with better reasons if you want to refute GC's theory.

Why? It's an extremely fanciful theory. The onus is on one who has such theories to make his point.

Quote:
T:Again, the question suggests itself, that GC himself raised, if the quail were created by God, why would the people get sick from eating it?

a:There are several possible reasons, our lack of knowledge or imaginations notwithstanding.

God made the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, I'm sure we all agree. When Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they became fatally sick.

There was nothing wrong the fruit. This analogy doesn't apply, unless you're saying that there was nothing wrong with the quails the people ate, and their getting fevers from eating the quail had nothing to do with the quail being unhealthful.

Quote:
The saying, "God made dirt, so dirt don't hurt" is logically flawed.

Dirt isn't food. If one is saying that God specially created food for someone to eat, and those who ate the food got sick from eating the food which God specially created, that raises some questions about God's character.

Page 79 of 105 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:41 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!