HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,189
Posts195,525
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 15
Rick H 15
Daryl 4
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Elle] #123349
02/14/10 11:46 AM
02/14/10 11:46 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Yes, Elle, your post is correct about the body's need to break down proteins. You are also correct that there is protein in nearly everything we eat. To add some detail to the discussion that will make it more relevant to those who cannot eat legumes on account of their allergies, those proteins are broken down into amino acids. The body cannot simply create all of these amino acids, hence some are called "essential," and are required in the diet.

Here is a list of the essential amino acids: Arginine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine.

The following quote I found online sums up the situation fairly well.
Quote:
Humans can produce 10 of the 20 amino acids. The others must be supplied in the food. Failure to obtain enough of even 1 of the 10 essential amino acids, those that we cannot make, results in degradation of the body's proteins—muscle and so forth—to obtain the one amino acid that is needed. Unlike fat and starch, the human body does not store excess amino acids for later use—the amino acids must be in the food every day.

For someone like me (adult) who chose to supply all necessary proteins without the use of legumes, it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, on a vegan diet. Here is why.

Nearly all foods have all of the amino acids. But at least one of the essential amino acids will be in diminished quantities as compared to the others. In grains, lysine is the "weakest link." In legumes (beans, etc.), methionine is the limiting factor.

In order to get enough lysine on a rice-based diet, with no legumes, I would need to consume at least 16 cups of cooked rice every day. I cannot do this. My stomach is simply not big enough for that. If I can eat as much as 2.5 cups in a single meal, I'm overeating already. Multiply that out, and I would need to stuff myself for every single meal, more than six meals a day, just to get enough lysine from rice.

Let's say we eat bread instead of rice. I would need to eat about 32 slices of whole-wheat bread (at 28 g/slice) every day to get enough lysine from bread.

...Or 5 cups of instant, dry oatmeal (uncooked). (I suppose it triples in size when cooked, so it would be about the same as the rice.)
...Or 6 cups of cooked quinoa (which is not available in these parts anyhow).
...Or 9 ? of buckwheat groats.

In other words, lysine, even in these "complete protein grains," is very limited outside of the legume family.

I'm getting this information from a very informative website. Please refer to this for more information:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein

Based on these figures, I'm still unconvinced on the feasibility of avoiding legumes without eating meat. If you have allergies to the legumes, tough beans. wink

Egg provides a complete protein with no "limiting" amino acids. As such, it is used as the standard for proper balance of proteins, apparently. However, milk and eggs are frequently high on the list of banned foods for those with allergies.

As this thread is in reference to accommodating a vegan diet for those with allergies, we must be more detailed than to just say "all foods have proteins." Our bodies require proteins from a variety of sources, and if you start eliminating some of those sources, finding proper substitutes can be more complex than first glance.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123353
02/15/10 11:37 AM
02/15/10 11:37 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Protein myths debunked: Setting the record straight

Vegetables have plenty of protein, and even potatoes are a complete protein

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123354
02/15/10 03:40 PM
02/15/10 03:40 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Gordon,

I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, the data on that website are inaccurate. "Complete protein" does not equal "adequate protein." Nearly all foods give a "complete protein," which just means they have some of each of the essential amino acids. But how much of each? That is the key.

I have been doing some very careful research lately, of necessity, on this topic, and am frankly scrambling to find a way to avoid recommending meat given the peculiar situation I am dealing with here. I'm thankful that I am not allergic to and/or unable to eat the foods which are off the list for some people. I have no problem, and can easily get adequate protein without resorting to meat. However, there are special cases which may call for the judicious use of some meat. (And even Mrs. White, truth be told, would have supported such.)

That website does not give quantitative data regarding the amino acids. The "graphs" are highly inaccurate, as can be verified by comparison with other, more scholarly, websites.

The one point upon which I will agree, heartily, with that website--and this makes its message essentially true for most people who do not have special dietary restrictions on account of allergies or genetic metabolic disorders--is that all foods have protein, and we get more than enough protein in terms of overall quantity.

Where that website fails is in not taking into account the amounts of individual amino acids which may be present in a restricted diet. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If you get 280% of your needs for tryptophan, 800% of your needs for methionine, 350% of your requirement for isoleucine, etc. but only 25% of your needs for lysine, your body will still end up breaking down muscle tissue, etc. in order to meet the lysine requirement.

In other words, you might get three times as much protein as you need overall, but for lack of just one kind of amino acid, it still fails to suffice. The body cannot convert isoleucine or any other of the amino acids to lysine. It cannot make lysine. Lysine is found mostly in the legume family of plants. There are over 20,000 legumes species. It is difficult to eat a vegan diet without them. So long as you eat "normal" foods, you will get enough lysine. But if you must eliminate legumes, for whatever reason, it is now a big challenge to get adequate lysine.

I found out that one source of lysine, apart from legumes (according to one list online, anyhow), is Lamb's Quarters. So, I went out hunting for them today. I used to eat them back in America, and I know them very well. I would easily spot one if I saw one, and I felt sure I had seen them here in Taiwan before. Nevertheless, I came up empty. Not even one single plant of it could I find. How disappointing.

I'm desperately looking for a non-legume source of lysine that could make meat unnecessary. Oh, and it also cannot be egg, corn, potatoes, wheat, milk, orange, papaya, almonds, walnuts, asparagus etc. on account of allergies. And we do not have access to such nice things here as spelt, barley, rye, quinoa, etc. This is not America.

We do have rice and buckwheat here.

In this particular case, lysine is the limiting factor. I have no doubts about all other amino acids, or overall quantities of protein. But if you must avoid legumes....can you avoid meat? To answer this question, I need to find an adequate supply of lysine from locally-grown foods. If you know of some factual data specific to this, which also indicate the quantities of the food source that would be required to meet the body's needs, I would appreciate it.

If anyone here is a dietitian or nutritionist and/or can give some very specific facts that would set things straight on how to get adequate lysine sans the fabaceae family of plants (legumes), I welcome your input.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123356
02/15/10 05:28 PM
02/15/10 05:28 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
Nearly all foods have all of the amino acids. But at least one of the essential amino acids will be in diminished quantities as compared to the others. In grains, lysine is the "weakest link." In legumes (beans, etc.), methionine is the limiting factor.
This statement made no sense until reading your link giving how much lysine one needed. As in, just because one food does not have adequate amounts of all amino acids, doesn't mean others don't have the missing ones. But, if you are saying nothing else has lysine, then that might make sense.

Quote:
...Or 5 cups of instant, dry oatmeal (uncooked). (I suppose it triples in size when cooked, so it would be about the same as the rice.)
What did you have for oats? I found 1.094g per cup which would mean about two cups needed.

Quote:
I found out that one source of lysine, apart from legumes (according to one list online, anyhow), is Lamb's Quarters. So, I went out hunting for them today. I used to eat them back in America, and I know them very well. I would easily spot one if I saw one, and I felt sure I had seen them here in Taiwan before. Nevertheless, I came up empty. Not even one single plant of it could I find. How disappointing.
Let me try to explain it again.

Lamb's Quarters and Quinoa are two members out of about 150 species of the Chenopodium genus, both of which are complete proteins. And 1,400 species in the subfamily. Would it be unreasonable to conclude there may be others of the 150 species which may have complete proteins? If Chenopodium has 2 out of 150 with adequate lysine, what about the Amaranthaceae family? Would it be unreasonable to conclude there may be other genus of the family which may have complete proteins? And, would it be unreasonable to conclude that given that legumes, buckwheat, hemp, and Chenopodium have complete proteins, that other plants may have them, too?

Why not start by finding out what members of Chenopodium (goosefoot) you have there, then finding out how much lysine they have? Seems reasonable to me. Keep in mind, you didn't even know about quinoa or that Lamb's Quarters had lysine a little bit ago. How many other plants have lysine you don't know about. Rather than others giving you lists of plants and you give all the reasons why they won't work, start with what you have. Locally grown foods may not have the right nutrition you are seeking, but locally growing plants may.

Another question to investigate is why did I see entries of a patent for L-Lysine production from the fermentation of sugar beets on a search list. (Beets are in the subfamily).

By the way, how does meat come to have complete protein? Where do animals get it from?

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: kland] #123357
02/15/10 08:58 PM
02/15/10 08:58 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Kland is right. Jesus said I will never leave you nor forsake you.

There is a local solution. Ask Him who created all men.

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123358
02/15/10 10:00 PM
02/15/10 10:00 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Have you any evidence of deficiency?

Have you determined causative factors or valid allergic reaction?

If you wish to go the textbook route, relying on charts, assess patient history to verify any underlying conditions including a blood profile. Possibly some allergies are exaggerated, outgrown or pathologically triggered. History and Diagnosis precede Treatment, Prescription.

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123360
02/16/10 12:49 AM
02/16/10 12:49 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

I've learned in my travels around the world that there are some families of plants which seem to occur in just one area or range, and are not evenly distributed throughout the world. Chenopodium may like a drier climate than we have here, or for whatever reason just may not be here in this part of Asia. Tumbleweeds are in that family, I believe, and to use them as an example, I have never seen a tumbleweed in Asia. I am still looking for some native chenopods, of course, so if I discover some here, that would be great. Conversely, we have ferns here that grow into literal trees (and I can never remember if I'm supposed to call them "fern trees" or "tree ferns"). I've never seen these kind of trees in other parts of Asia, only in Taiwan, and of course no such thing exists in North America. Ferns thrive in a moist environment, whereas chenopods do not. Taiwan happens to be one of the wettest spots on the planet, with average annual rainfall in excess of 2.5 meters in the drier areas going up to 6.7 meters in the wettest (that's 22 feet of rainfall!).

Beets are uncommon here. The soil and climate are much different here than the beet-growing areas of North America. I suppose the beets themselves are not native, but are introduced here, like the potatoes which were introduced into Thailand about 100 years ago and are still uncommon there.

A book I found online sheds light on the chenopods. They are not much in Asia, and have not had success in Asia, though they were introduced here as early as the 19th century. Of the chenopods, apparently quinoa has exceptional amounts of lysine. Again, quinoa is not available here.

Gordon, the "patient" in this case has a clinical diagnosis which forbids the use of legumes due to a genetic metabolic disorder called favism or G6PD-deficiency disease. As it is genetic, it is not going away by any form of treatment. In Taiwan, as much as 3% of people have the condition, and therefore all babies are tested for it at birth. The patient also has the lab report from a full workup on allergies and is now able to avoid hospitalization due to asthma from the consumption of those allergens. In other words, these are known conditions and non-negotiable.

kland, to answer your last question, I suppose the animals get their complete protein from one of two sources--internal manufacture (what is essential for humans may not be essential for them) and/or the consumption of the fabaceae family of plants (which are contraindicated in this situation).

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123361
02/16/10 12:55 AM
02/16/10 12:55 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: gordonb1
Kland is right. Jesus said I will never leave you nor forsake you.

There is a local solution. Ask Him who created all men.

It is somewhat appalling that you would imply eating meat is tantamount to being "forsaken" of God, or even that it is in any way related to God's favor or presence. Jesus did not "forsake" the disciples in their long night of fishing, but rather performed a miracle to provide them an extremely good haul of fish. Later, and this after his resurrection, Jesus also cooked fish to give them, and He ate it with them.

If Jesus would not forsake the needs of His disciples, why should I be so narrow-minded as to conclude that eating meat is to be forsaken of Him now?

In other words, God has given me a broad enough mind to realize that the "local solution" might require some meat. I am still hoping to find a better option, but if meat is the only option, I will not for a minute equate this to being forsaken of God.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: Green Cochoa] #123365
02/16/10 01:08 PM
02/16/10 01:08 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Try Jeff Novick RD who works with John McDougall. These people teach more truth about vegan nutrition than most SDAs:

http://drmcdougall.com/index.html

McDougall Discussion Board:
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/index.php

----------------

Re: Eating Vegan with Allergies? [Re: gordonb1] #123367
02/16/10 01:41 PM
02/16/10 01:41 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Have you evidence of deficiency? Could God be supplying the difference?

Have you ruled out flax, sesame seed?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/27/24 09:35 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by ProdigalOne. 03/23/24 08:06 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 03/22/24 10:17 AM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by kland. 03/21/24 12:34 PM
The Value of Bible Types
by TruthinTypes. 03/17/24 06:22 PM
Orion Which Every One on the Globe Can See
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:26 PM
'Prophet' Summons UFOs
by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 02:19 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by dedication. 03/11/24 06:31 PM
Get That Razor Wire Up!
by kland. 03/05/24 12:49 PM
Messages for This Time
by ProdigalOne. 03/04/24 05:54 AM
The Lake of Fire is Hell
by Rick H. 03/02/24 05:01 PM
Adventist Agriculture
by kland. 02/29/24 12:33 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 03/27/24 10:36 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:50 PM
Time Is Short!
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:45 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 01:59 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by ProdigalOne. 03/16/24 08:38 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by Rick H. 03/16/24 06:30 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 03/12/24 09:20 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Daryl. 03/04/24 06:14 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!