HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,593
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 13
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TruthinTypes, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Colin] #124064
03/15/10 06:08 PM
03/15/10 06:08 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Colin,

Would you call "eternal" a time in the future too far ahead for us to calculate, but which would have an end? If we would live during a time too long for us to calculate now, but would eventually die, would you call this eternal life?
"Eternal," backwards, means "without beginning," and "eternal," forwards, means "without end." Anything short of this can't be classified as "eternal."

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Rosangela] #124075
03/16/10 03:03 AM
03/16/10 03:03 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Colin,

Would you call "eternal" a time in the future too far ahead for us to calculate, but which would have an end? If we would live during a time too long for us to calculate now, but would eventually die, would you call this eternal life?
"Eternal," backwards, means "without beginning," and "eternal," forwards, means "without end." Anything short of this can't be classified as "eternal."

Just read (from a quarter or so onwards of the page) the Ellet Waggoner and Ellen White quotes from this link on the Son's divine pre-existence as God's begotten Son: http://theprophetstillspeaks.co.uk/DetHis/oDHS15.htm

We cannot rely on the Oxford or any other dictionary definitions for Biblical principles, Rosangela, and Christ's eternal divine pre-existence needs better definitions than we are used to, not so? smile

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Colin] #124077
03/16/10 11:53 AM
03/16/10 11:53 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Colin,

As I said previously, I don't believe that "only begotten" has a literal meaning, for the Bible calls Isaac the only begotten son of Abraham, something which obviously can't be taken literally.
I also don't believe Christ had a beginning, for the Bible explicitly says He had "neither beginning of days nor end of life." Ellen White says His life is underived, and she also says that children derive life and being from their parents.
Finally, it does not make any sense to say the word "eternal" has one meaning backwards and a different meaning forwards. This is not Oxford's definition, but common sense.

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Rosangela] #124087
03/16/10 07:37 PM
03/16/10 07:37 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
So, you haven't read EJW & EGW's statements from that link, then? This is Biblical teaching and what our church officially taught, including Sister White: They are clear. What do you think of them, now, if you would?

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Colin] #124123
03/19/10 12:43 AM
03/19/10 12:43 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Colin, I'm having time constrictions this month with two deadlines to meet; one was met last week, the other one must be met by the end of the month.
So, I took just a quick look at the statements. Briefly, I would say I do not believe EGW "begotten" statement is parallel to Waggonner's and, so, that she is endorsing what he said. If you read EGW's paraphrase of other authors, you will see that she borrows what she agrees with and leaves out what she disagrees with. She never, ever, uses the expression "birth" or "born" referring to Christ before His incarnation. The author admits this but says that this is because the word could be misinterpreted. I don't see how "birth" can be misinterpreted but "beget" can't.
The author also tries to equate “begotten” and “made" with "birth." This is completely unwarranted, because "made" means "created." God made man; He didn't beget man. The same is true of the angels. God made the angels; He didn't beget them. Why would EGW use a word whose meaning is exaclty the opposite of the idea she was intending to convey?
I also don't believe Ellen White had the same concept of eternity as Waggoner. In fact, not even Waggoner believed that the concept he was presenting was really that of eternity, but, in order not to be found contradicting the Bible, he creates an explanation of his own. He says, "There was a time when Christ proceeded forth and came from God, ... but that time was so far back in the days of eternity that to finite comprehension it is practically without beginning." So what he is saying is that there was a beginning for Christ, but, for practical purposes, we can say there wasn't (obviously to agree with what the Bible says). This doesn't make any sense, because the finite mind can perfectly understand what a beginning is, in spite of when it occurred.

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Rosangela] #124132
03/19/10 05:09 PM
03/19/10 05:09 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here are some EGW quotes, some of which I have bolded for emphasis only, regarding this discussion thread:
Quote:

There are three living persons of the heavenly trio; in the name of these three great powers --the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit--those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized, and these powers will co-operate with the obedient subjects of heaven in their efforts to live the new life in Christ.-- Special Testimonies, Series B, No. 7, pp. 62, 63. (1905) {Ev 615.1}

The Pre-existent, Self-existent Son of God.--Christ is the pre-existent, self-existent Son of God.... In speaking of his pre-existence, Christ carries the mind back through dateless ages. He assures us that there never was a time when He was not in close fellowship with the eternal God. He to whose voice the Jews were then listening had been with God as one brought up with Him.--Signs of the Times, Aug. 29, 1900. {Ev 615.2}
He was equal with God, infinite and omnipotent. . . . He is the eternal, self-existent Son.--Manuscript 101, 1897. {Ev 615.3}

In relation to the above quotes, what does "He is the eternal, self-existent Son" of God mean? Note particularly the words eternal and self-existent.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Rosangela] #124137
03/20/10 12:22 AM
03/20/10 12:22 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Thank you for taking time out to handle their statements, and I wasn't in a hurry, y'no. There's time to wait for taking a good look at that website if not just that webpage, as she says much else besides.

Essentially, though, yes, it appears from our church teachings of Ellen White's day - including her own position, that the Son of God's "only begotten" pre-existence was not as 'equally', absolutely eternal as his Father's existence. The trinitarian doctrine's need for equal co-eternity is implicitly thus misplaced, they were saying.

I'll try to find more statements to paste them here, and make the 'search' a little easier.

BTW, Elder Judson Washburn, who witnessed Minneapolis 1888 as an ordained pastor, was one of 2 or 3 notable pastors of the 20th century to defend Jesus' literal, divine pre-existent Sonship till they all died by the 70's. Defenders keep appearing; a good defence is worthy of examination, though: some are not good. The full history of that teaching in our church is an alarm bell for me: What have we done and what are we doing with our Saviour's divine nature - our leaders, ourselves??!

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Daryl] #124140
03/20/10 03:17 AM
03/20/10 03:17 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl F
Here are some EGW quotes, some of which I have bolded for emphasis only, regarding this discussion thread:
Quote:

There are three living persons of the heavenly trio; in the name of these three great powers --the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit--those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized, and these powers will co-operate with the obedient subjects of heaven in their efforts to live the new life in Christ.-- Special Testimonies, Series B, No. 7, pp. 62, 63. (1905) {Ev 615.1}

The Pre-existent, Self-existent Son of God.--Christ is the pre-existent, self-existent Son of God.... In speaking of his pre-existence, Christ carries the mind back through dateless ages. He assures us that there never was a time when He was not in close fellowship with the eternal God. He to whose voice the Jews were then listening had been with God as one brought up with Him.--Signs of the Times, Aug. 29, 1900. {Ev 615.2}
He was equal with God, infinite and omnipotent. . . . He is the eternal, self-existent Son.--Manuscript 101, 1897. {Ev 615.3}

In relation to the above quotes, what does "He is the eternal, self-existent Son" of God mean? Note particularly the words eternal and self-existent.

Thanks, Daryl, but that isn't the pertinent question. wink That is accepted also by non-trinitarians like me.

Is Jesus the "only begotten" and "begotten" literal, divine Son of God before Bethlehem, in SOP and church literature generally - as the Bible also reads, that is the question. The best research I've found yet on historical literature and teachings is the website I referenced for Rosangela. The church hasn't argued current, changed, teachings adequately, sadly.

The current SDA trinitarian doctrine has similar and sometimes identical key words to our original, non-trinitarian belief in Jesus' divinity - like "eternal" and "self-existent", and that website, www.theprophetstillspeaks.co.uk, explains all this and sorts out the literature of Christian history generally and Adventist history, too.

DA 530: "In him is life, original, unborrowed, underived," is not automatically trinitarian, especially since everything else she wrote maintains Jesus as the pre-existent begotten Son of God. The full reading is necessary, as "trinity" almost inevitably is unbiblically defined, while non-trinitarian meanings can be Biblical nevertheless.

Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Colin] #124142
03/20/10 11:21 AM
03/20/10 11:21 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I looked at that link by Terry Hill, who is also a registered member here, but hasn't been actively posting here lately.

We need to be careful about pulling out and interpreting a set of EGW quotes and not comparing it to a set of other EGW quotes that may change the way the first set was interpreted, which is why I am trying to look at all the EGW quotes relative to this topic.

Will say more when I have more time.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Arianism vs the Trinity [Re: Daryl] #124150
03/21/10 02:59 AM
03/21/10 02:59 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, we have to look at it all, of course. I know Terry is a member on here, but let's see what the evidence says.

There's time for this discussion to move when we actually have time for it, indeed. grin

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Israel/Hamas Support and the Image of the Beast
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 11:21 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/23/24 10:58 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!