HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,194
Posts195,566
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 11
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125524
05/22/10 12:34 AM
05/22/10 12:34 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
This is getting confusing. We have two comparisons here:

fighting evil/going along with it
serving God/fighting against Him

What I said was that the effort to fight evil is greater than the effort to go along with it.

But fighting evil, to me, is not the same as serving God. I think fighting evil is one of the things you sometimes do when you serve God (please Him).

Also, going along with evil is not the same as fighting against God (resisting the Holy Spirit). Fighting against God is one of the things you sometimes do when you go along with evil.

So, fighting evil and serving God are related, but not synonymous. The same is true of going along with evil and fighting God. The two pairs are separate.

So I believe that fighting against God is more difficult than serving God, but that fighting evil is more difficult than going along with it.

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: asygo] #125537
05/23/10 12:34 AM
05/23/10 12:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You defined a converted person as "a person who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ (i.e., someone who has accept Christ as their personal Savior)." I'm asking, in the context of your definition, what do you believe Jesus has saved the converted person from?

A person is converted from unbelief.

Quote:
Given that everyone gives "Savior from sin" as the answer, is that your answer also?

That's an interesting question. I've thought of it in terms of "Savior from sin," but given that I just said that one is converted from unbelief, and that the SOP tells us that "unbelief is the root of all sin," perhaps "Savior from unbelief" is an alternative. Did you have some alternative definition in mind?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125538
05/23/10 12:45 AM
05/23/10 12:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
This is getting confusing. We have two comparisons here:

fighting evil/going along with it
serving God/fighting against Him

What I said was that the effort to fight evil is greater than the effort to go along with it.

But fighting evil, to me, is not the same as serving God.

Right, you said that serving God encompasses fighting evil, but much more than this. So serving God involves more effort than simply fighting evil.

Quote:
I think fighting evil is one of the things you sometimes do when you serve God (please Him).

Also, going along with evil is not the same as fighting against God (resisting the Holy Spirit). Fighting against God is one of the things you sometimes do when you go along with evil.

Right, so fighting evil requires more effort than fighting against God (resisting the Holy Spirit).

Now you said, if I understood you correctly, that fighting God is not harder than serving God. Since going along with evil requires more effort than fighting against God (resisting the Holy Spirit), and serving God requires more effort than fighting Him, is cannot be the case (given your assumption that serving God is not more difficult than fighting Him) that it's easier to go along with evil than not, as this would be a logical contradiction.

Quote:
So, fighting evil and serving God are related, but not synonymous. The same is true of going along with evil and fighting God. The two pairs are separate.

Yes, but the pairs have the following points:

a.Serving God requires more effort than fighting evil (because fighting evil is only a part of what's involved in serving God)
b.Going along with evil requires more effort than fighting God - resisting the Holy Spirit (because resisting the Holy Spirit is only a part of what's involved to fight evil).

Therefore if it's easier to serve God than it is to fight against Him, it must be the case that it's easier to fight evil than to go along with it.

In terms of effort, from least to most, we have:

1.Fight evil.
2.Serve God.
3.Fight against God (resist the Holy Spirit)
4.Go along with evil.

This follows from your statement that it's easier to serve God than to fight against Him, and from the fact that serving God involves fighting evil, but "much more," and that going along with evil involves fighting God (resisting the Holy Spirit), but more than that (hence more effort).

Quote:
So I believe that fighting against God is more difficult than serving God, but that fighting evil is more difficult than going along with it.

I hope you can see the logical contradiction involved here. Hopefully I've made this clear.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125539
05/23/10 01:21 AM
05/23/10 01:21 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
You defined a converted person as "a person who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ (i.e., someone who has accept Christ as their personal Savior)." I'm asking, in the context of your definition, what do you believe Jesus has saved the converted person from?
Quote:
Given that everyone gives "Savior from sin" as the answer, is that your answer also?
That's an interesting question. I've thought of it in terms of "Savior from sin," but given that I just said that one is converted from unbelief, and that the SOP tells us that "unbelief is the root of all sin," perhaps "Savior from unbelief" is an alternative. Did you have some alternative definition in mind?

Sounds like you are trying to prove that whatever you have just said is now truth. I beg to differ.

The devils believe and tremble. If all that was required was to be "saved from unbelief," I guess the demons will be saved. This concept from James, then, begs the question as to the context of Mrs. White's statements on the definitions of "belief" and "root of all sin," and certainly undermines the concept of being "saved from unbelief."

"Saved from sin" is what I want. Considering that unbelief is one of those sins, I want to be saved from it too. But "sin" is a broad category, of which "unbelief" is just one part.

It is possible to sin without having "unbelief." The very first sin in the universe was?...

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Green Cochoa] #125540
05/23/10 02:57 AM
05/23/10 02:57 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act. {PP 309.5}

More later.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Green Cochoa] #125541
05/23/10 03:24 AM
05/23/10 03:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GC
T:That's an interesting question. I've thought of it in terms of "Savior from sin," but given that I just said that one is converted from unbelief, and that the SOP tells us that "unbelief is the root of all sin," perhaps "Savior from unbelief" is an alternative. Did you have some alternative definition in mind?

GC:Sounds like you are trying to prove that whatever you have just said is now truth. I beg to differ.

The devils believe and tremble.

"Believe" here is used in a different sense than in John 3:16, which speaks of the belief involved in saving faith. Do you disagree?

Quote:
If all that was required was to be "saved from unbelief," I guess the demons will be saved.

To be saved from unbelief would mean to believe, as in John 3:16. Do you think the devils believe in this sense? Or could James be using the word in a different sense, as in mental assent? What do you think the context of James 2:19 suggests?

Quote:
This concept from James, then, begs the question as to the context of Mrs. White's statements on the definitions of "belief" and "root of all sin," and certainly undermines the concept of being "saved from unbelief."

Yes, considering the context of the given statements would be a good idea!

I couldn't find the quote I was looking for. The quote must be slightly different than what I'm remembering. I came across this, which is very similar:

Quote:
The root of the sin that is in our world is an unbelief in Christ and an unwillingness to accept the truths that He came into our world to proclaim. (Battle Creek Letters, page 116)

Also the following:

Quote:
2. Unbelief is the root of all sin. This unbelief is especially related to the character of God. "It was distrust of God's goodness, disbelief of His word, and rejection of His authority, that made our first parents transgressors. " (http://www.presenttruthmag.com/7dayadventist/EGWhite_theology/5.html)

The part in quotes is Ellen White. The preceding part is from the author, whose point and logic I agree with. He quotes her from Education, but doesn't give the page number.

I noticed a number of times she also wrote that selfishness is the root of all sin. That makes sense, since agape is the fulfillment of the law.

Quote:
"Saved from sin" is what I want.

Well, that's the usual definition. I was seeing if Arnold had something else in mind. Given that unbelief is the root of sin, being saved from unbelief would lead to being saved from sin. To put it another way, righteousness is by faith, and faith is the same thing as belief (both from the same Greek word). Of course, "belief" should be understood in context, which is not mental assent (as in James 2:19) but saving faith (as in John 3:16, and countless other places).

Quote:
Considering that unbelief is one of those sins, I want to be saved from it too. But "sin" is a broad category, of which "unbelief" is just one part.

Since righteousness is by faith, unrighteousness (which is transgression of the law, or sin) is by unbelief. Getting rid of the unbelief encompasses all sin. Put another way, whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Quote:
It is possible to sin without having "unbelief." The very first sin in the universe was?...

A sin of unbelief!

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125542
05/23/10 06:44 AM
05/23/10 06:44 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
"Unbelief is the root of all sin."

That statement is not supported by inspiration.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Tom] #125543
05/23/10 07:15 AM
05/23/10 07:15 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

Quote:

There are some other alternatives that I have heard, but I agree with what you said, given the proper definition of "belief/unbelief."

So let's say that "Savior from sin" and "Savior from unbelief" are equivalent. If I'm understanding you, your definition of a converted person is one who has a Savior from sin/unbelief.

If a person has a Savior from sin, how can he sin? If he's sinning, that means he needs a Savior; he doesn't have one. It's like saying that a person has been saved from drowning, while he is still drowning in the water. If one has been saved from sin, he has been separated from it.

Let's look at belief/unbelief. If one has been saved from unbelief, why would he choose to do that which he knows is wrong? Why would he sin against God? Such an act would be unbelief. Therefore, he hasn't been saved from it.

The other definitions I have heard of converted or saved can allow one to still sin. But if our definition is "having a Savior from sin," we cannot mix it with sin.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #125546
05/23/10 01:35 PM
05/23/10 01:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
We are lost by default. We do not have to choose to be lost. On the other hand, we must consciously choose to be saved, to experience rebirth. And then we must continue to consciously choose to abide in Jesus and partake of the divine nature.

True, people must resist the wooing influence of the Holy Spirit. However, doing so does not change our default status. It is no easy matter to change our status. It requires extreme effort to experience rebirth, and it requires continued extreme effort to stay converted. It is easier to be lost than it is to be saved. Ellen White made this point crystal clear. Here is a sampling:

It is no easy matter to gain the priceless treasure of eternal life. {Mar 47.3}

The gaining of eternal life is no easy thing. {TMK 21.5}

It is difficult to depart from old customs and established ideas. {CT 392.1}

It is easier to learn evil than to eradicate it after it is learned. {CG 457.4}

It is easier to invite the enemy into your hearts than to dismiss him after he has the ground. {3T 325.3}

It is difficult to hold fast the beginning of our confidence firm unto the end; and the difficulty increases when there are hidden influences constantly at work to bring in another spirit, a counterworking element, on Satan's side of the question. {Mar 28.2}

In this time of special danger for the young, temptations surround them on every hand; and while it is easy to drift, the strongest effort is required in order to press against the current. {Ed 293.2}

It is difficult to arouse them to a sense of the shame and grievous nature of sin. {ML 146.3}

It is difficult to hold fast Christian integrity. {TMK 352.2}

Let self break in pieces before God. It is hard to do this; but we are warned to fall upon the Rock and be broken, else it will fall upon us, and grind us to powder. {HP 30.2}

Into the experience of all there come times of keen disappointment and utter discouragement--days when sorrow is the portion, and it is hard to believe that God is still the kind benefactor of His earth-born children; days when troubles harass the soul, till death seems preferable to life. It is then that many lose their hold on God and are brought into the slavery of doubt, the bondage of unbelief. {ML 328.2}

In many cases the moral powers seem deadened, and it is difficult to arouse them to a sense of the shame and grievous nature of sin; they slip easily into habits of prevarication, deceit, and often open lying. {CG 388.1}

We have trained ourselves to engage with earnestness and power in worldly business, until it is easy for the mind to take that turn. This is why Christians find a religious life so hard and a worldly life so easy. {2T 263.4}

To resist Satan's desires is no easy task. It demands a firm hold of the divine nature from beginning to end, or it cannot be done. {1SM 342.3}

It is easy for you to drop Christ out of your experience. {5T 586.3}

It is easy to rebel, easy to give battle before considering matters rationally, calmly, and settling whether there is anything to war against. {1T 527.1}

It is easy for the enemy to work through those who, themselves needing counsel at every step, undertake the guardianship of souls in their own strength, without having learned the lowliness of Christ. {AA 279.1}

Temptations surround them on every hand; and while it is easy work to float with the current, the strongest effort is required to press against the tide of evil. {4T 421.3}

The strongest evidence of man's fall from a higher state is the fact that it costs so much to return. The way of return can be gained only by hard fighting, inch by inch, hour by hour. In one moment, by a hasty, unguarded act, we may place ourselves in the power of evil; but it requires more than a moment to break the fetters and attain to a holier life. The purpose may be formed, the work begun; but its accomplishment will require toil, time, perseverance, patience, and sacrifice. {MH 452.2} [/quote]

Re: Why do we sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #125547
05/23/10 01:44 PM
05/23/10 01:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ellen White also had this to say about it:

Quote:
Those who do not believe in Christ are not reconciled to God; but those who have faith in him are hid with Christ in God. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Through the imputed righteousness of Christ, the sinner may feel that he is pardoned, and may know that the law no more condemns him, because he is in harmony with all its precepts. It is his privilege to count himself innocent when he reads and thinks of the retribution that will fall upon the unbelieving and sinful. By faith he lays hold of the righteousness of Christ, and responds with love and gratitude for the great love of God in giving his only begotten Son, who died in order to bring to light life and immortality through the gospel. Knowing himself to be a sinner, a transgressor of the holy law of God, he looks to the perfect obedience of Christ, to his death upon Calvary for the sins of the world; and he has the assurance that he is justified by faith in the merit and sacrifice of Christ. He realizes that the law was obeyed in his behalf by the Son of God, and that the penalty of transgression cannot fall upon the believing sinner. The active obedience of Christ clothes the believing sinner with the righteousness that meets the demands of the law. "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." {YI, November 29, 1894 par. 3}

Some people mistakenly apply this wonderful truth to believers who are living in known sin.

Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by Rick H. 04/14/24 08:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:07 AM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/11/24 12:20 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 03/31/24 06:44 PM
Easter Sunday, Transgender Day of Visibility?
by dedication. 03/31/24 01:34 PM
The Story of David and Goliath
by TruthinTypes. 03/30/24 12:02 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Kevin H. 03/24/24 09:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/15/24 09:43 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:31 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Climate Change and the Sunday Law
by Rick H. 03/24/24 06:42 PM
WHAT IS THE VERY END-TIME PROPHECY?
by Rick H. 03/23/24 06:03 PM
Digital Identity Control
by Rick H. 03/23/24 02:08 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!